How to Spank a Child Biblically?

Logic Over Emotionalism

2 boys & 2 girls (new baby girl born 12/1/18)
Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, not my opinions but info from parenting experts, adoption experts, trauma experts, a well know parenting expert that came to our church as well as Christian speakers who work with children daily

not my opinions but facts and info learned from experts
don't just listen but take notes and use info learned

if I just valued my own opinion, wouldn't have done all the workshops and programs

if you want to risk inflicting emotional and physical stress and break bonds between your children and you then spank away and ignore all the positive discipline methods out there that actually work

I have also talked to many experts from both sides as it was apart of my internship as before David Hasz was EVP of Bethany Global University he led another ministry that put on huge arena events where we could engage with troubled teens from all walks of life. After I got married we took classes with some experts who had valuable lessons on becoming adoptive parents. But regardless of all the speakers I listened to and the notes I took does not make me an expert as it doesn't make you one either. This is a weak and flawed argument as your or my knowledge does not make us any sort of expert of this subject.

Appeal to Authority

Lots of the research you cite to is in question as showing false data on abused children not that of parents who spank. Doctors went to a big meeting over these findings. As these articles show:

Research on Disciplinary Spanking is Misleading

Findings Give Some Support To Advocates of Spanking

You focus so much on emotionalism as you ignore the studies that put your data in question as these experts you cite the studies that are now in question. Plus there are also experts that agree that spanking is useful or even beneficial to the upbringing of children as listed below:

Spanking makes kids perform better in school, helps them become more successful: study - NY Daily News

Evidence Favoring the Use of Disciplinary Spanking « GoodParent.org

Spanked children are more successful - study | DESTINY Magazine

As the experts can't agree and the data on the non-spanking side is in question these are nothing more then opinions.

Plus my bond with my children is very strong and this also shows that your statements are false and just emotional pleas.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveJoan14
Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my guess is you didn't watch the video on the Case Against Spanking
I read the article. I wrote a long review on the first article you gave me and read the other one you gave. But my guess is you haven't read on the articles that show that much of the research that article you gave is questionable. Two of the articles I gave show that the data that the anti-spanking crowd uses is very questionable.

Update:

The first min of the video she talks about studies that are in question by many doctors in this field. Most of what was discussed in the video was covered in the article and is heavily disputed in the medical world if you would care to read the studies I showed on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the effects show up years later
my guess is your children are not teens yet

The oldest Michael is five and does not get spanked anymore as he is now making good choices. He is said to be above average on reading and is more behaved then the other children according to the teachers and other parents. Spanking in the early development of children according to the studies I provided are beneficial but of course you ignore. Effects of abuse I have seen in children as little as 6 and know the signs, so nice try. It does not take years to see the signs of abuse which spanking is not. You lean more on emotionalism then factual statements.

If it takes you years later to notice the signs you were not paying attention in those classes as there are always signs in physical, emotional and sexual abuse which again spanking is not.

How to Identify Child Abuse Ages 0-5 - The Whole Child

3 Ways to Recognize Signs of Abuse in a Toddler or Baby - wikiHow

Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
may be years to notice the effects of spanking

my last post

Then you didn't pay attention in class. If spanking is any form of physical abuse there are signs. Also emotional abuse there are signs in young children. If spanking is abuse on any of these levels there are signs early on not years down the road as I provided sources in my last post.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course you don't want to abuse anyone. You spank enough just so that there is pain. Overdoing it is abuse and that happens when people spank out of anger. You calm down before you ever spank a child.
While I understand your idea, I would submit that one can be completely devoid of emotion, completely in control of their own actions, and still be abusive.

The spankings I got in kindergarten thru 2nd grade were exactly that. Dad and his belt. He knew how to take me just to the edge of unconsciousness but not go over that line. And I was not allowed to cry or react. If I did, I got it again. And again until I could get thru it with no emotional reaction like screaming or crying.

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While I understand your idea, I would submit that one can be completely devoid of emotion, completely in control of their own actions, and still be abusive.

The spankings I got in kindergarten thru 2nd grade were exactly that. Dad and his belt. He knew how to take me just to the edge of unconsciousness but not go over that line. And I was not allowed to cry or react. If I did, I got it again. And again until I could get thru it with no emotional reaction like screaming or crying.

That's blatant abuse. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟883,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

New member here. Just want to get some ideas on the best, most proper biblical way to spank a child.

1. What is the best implement to use? Hand, wooden spoon, etc.

2. Should it be done over clothing, underwear, or bare bottom?

3. How many strokes should be given? When should you stop? I know that the Bible doesn’t allow more that 40 strokes, but this is for adult criminals.

4. How do you deal with a child who hits, kicks, and screams bloody murder to try and get away?

5. Should a prayer be said before and after administering the spanking? If so, what are some good prayers for this?

For me I prefer time out, grounding, taking away privelages like tv, ice cream or sweets, video games, cell phone. But in some extreme cases of absolute direct defiance like screaming and hollering or hitting me or mom I feel it is sometimes necessary to establish dominance and remind them that there are limits that must not be crossed. So far I’ve only had to spank my 5 year old twice. Both times I just used my hand and slapped her on her leg twice. Now she knows my limits and there’s a certain level of fear in her of crossing that line. I’m very thankful that I was able to accomplish that with only 2 little spankings.

Upvote 0

AndyPrior

Apr 24, 2019
Frankfurt
✟8,420.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
According to the studies that supports spanking it is a two swat spank by parents who are well intentioned. So yes that means you do not beat your child or do anything out of anger. When I spank my children I do so out of love and the desire of wanting them to make better life decisions. So after I am done spanking I talk to them and let them speak so they can learn from it. Many parents who do it wrong do so out of anger or beat the child which is not spanking but abuse.

Sorry, but a temper tantrum of a holy terror, defiance and rebellion can't be broken by a two swat spanking. My son would have laughed at me. A biblical spanking has to have a healing and lasting effect. Proverbs 20:30 Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts.

• Agree
Reactions: BraveJoan14
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that hitting a child doesn’t tell them how to think which is what you want them do learn . A 2 or 3 year old is too young to learn and adult rules are incomprehensible frustrating and confusing to a small child . Would you like it if you were confused , upset and scared because you were , to have someone smack you? At that point you’ll just get an angry child who hasn’t learned how to think but who might learn to kowtow. Some children get so angry that they won’t kowtow and some just wait until they’re teens

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AndyPrior

Apr 24, 2019
Frankfurt
✟8,420.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
You can't reason with a kid, being 2 or 3 years old. Only physical pain works brokeness. The experience of pain works wonders. That's the only truth and it's biblical. Thousands of years of parental experience prove it. Kids are sinners from the beginning and their will must be broken. There's no alternative since many of generations of humankind. Uncontested tradition and heritage of parents. Son and daughter have to submit Dad and Mom, alike they have to submit God. Why people are so stupid and ignorant today? I think, they're ideologically overloaded by Spockanians and so they're a know-it-all. My son, today, is grateful for the spankings he got. As well, I'm so grateful for the spankings I got from Dad and Mom. I can't understand doubting. A good, hard spanking works, biblical promise fulfilled in every way. So, love and spank, spank
and love!

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some of us see causing "brokenness" in our children as abuse. Having experienced that kind of physical abuse as a child, I don't understand it as loving, or something to be grateful for.

Maybe, Andy, you were lucky; but if you don't understand others the best thing to do is ask more about their experiences and listen, rather than tell them how wrong they are.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of us see causing "brokenness" in our children as abuse. Having experienced that kind of physical abuse as a child, I don't understand it as loving, or something to be grateful for.

Maybe, Andy, you were lucky; but if you don't understand others the best thing to do is ask more about their experiences and listen, rather than tell them how wrong they are.
God was not wrong when He instructed Solomon.
Because you or others were the object of abuse does not undo the Biblical teaching. We can be sorry and empathize with abuse victims, but any who set aside God given wisdom error.

Upvote 0