Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's my question. At my current job, I work closely with my colleagues. I tell them a lot about my life, and I'm used to being persecuted when I do that. But these are very mature and introverted and humble people, most of them anyway. They aren't Christian though, except two of them.

For the first time since I was saved, I'm getting compliments about how good a person I am, instead of being accused and bullied. I know that any good in me comes from Jesus, trust me, and I tell them that. But they don't understand what that means. I talk about my faith, my past, and how God has changed me, but somehow they still focus on me and give me praise. How much I have overcome.

They seem to think I have really low self-esteem, which I do, and it shows. They can see my unhappiness, because I've struggled so much in my walk since I got this job last year. They also see my joy in Christ, and my confidence in Him, but I think they feel sorry for me when I direct everything towards God, as if my faith is hurting me.

How do I deal with this?

I also spent time at work studying Hebrew, alone because I had nothing better to do. I thought I would get persecuted for that as well, but they all took an interest and I got to talk even more about Jesus, and how I was only studying it to learn more about God. But the result was yet again that they praised me and said I was really smart and cool...

I don't know how to deal with this. One colleague attacked my faith, and I got to defend God. That I can do! But I don't know how to get them to see God in the work that He, and only He, is doing in me. I want no attention to myself, except to show them Christ in me.

Any advice is welcome. I take this very seriously. God gave me this job so I could learn how to show people Christ, and not myself.

Last edited:

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Glory to God Emli, and what a wonderful problem to have.
They are seeing the light through you and are experiencing the Holy Spirit as He works through you. I understand that you don't want the credit and that is very humble, "as we should be".
I believe these people are coming to the light like bugs to a bug zapper because people are drawn to this :] BUT it will be God to reveal the right time for them to realize that they can have the same thing by asking Christ into their hearts. Some people will resist a long time before coming to that realization.
Just keep on, keeping on, and rest in the knowledge that you are doing EXACTLY as God ask of us. {To be a light in a dark world.}
If people start to lash out at you, "Don't worry" Their hearts are being convicted and sometimes this causes a little anger in the beginning. :] Bless you Sister :clap:

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Glory to God Emli, and what a wonderful problem to have.
They are seeing the light through you and are experiencing the Holy Spirit as He works through you. I understand that you don't want the credit and that is very humble, "as we should be".
I believe these people are coming to the light like bugs to a bug zapper because people are drawn to this :] BUT it will be God to reveal the right time for them to realize that they can have the same thing by asking Christ into their hearts. Some people will resist a long time before coming to that realization.
Just keep on, keeping on, and rest in the knowledge that you are doing EXACTLY as God ask of us. {To be a light in a dark world.}
If people start to lash out at you, "Don't worry" Their hearts are being convicted and sometimes this causes a little anger in the beginning. :] Bless you Sister :clap:
Thank you for this encouragement. :)

I know. It really is a wonderful problem to have. :) I was surprised at both their reaction, and my reaction to it, because I used to be really selfish and full of pride. But God has been working hard. :) I am really happy that it shows. I can barely believe I'm actually being used for God's Glory, it makes me tremble and it makes me really, really joyful.

I guess I should just keep walking, and wait for God to move. He gives me these situations where I get to witness to my colleagues, or speak to their hearts, it's amazing.

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my question. At my current job, I work closely with my colleagues. I tell them a lot about my life, and I'm used to being persecuted when I do that. But these are very mature and introverted and humble people, most of them anyway. They aren't Christian though, except two of them.

For the first time since I was saved, I'm getting compliments about how good a person I am, instead of being accused and bullied. I know that any good in me comes from Jesus, trust me, and I tell them that. But they don't understand what that means. I talk about my faith, my past, and how God has changed me, but somehow they still focus on me and give me praise. How much I have overcome.

They seem to think I have really low self-esteem, which I do, and it shows. They can see my unhappiness, because I've struggled so much in my walk since I got this job last year. They also see my joy in Christ, and my confidence in Him, but I think they feel sorry for me when I direct everything towards God, as if my faith is hurting me.

How do I deal with this?

I also spent time at work studying Hebrew, alone because I had nothing better to do. I thought I would get persecuted for that as well, but they all took an interest and I got to talk even more about Jesus, and how I was only studying it to learn more about God. But the result was yet again that they praised me and said I was really smart and cool...

I don't know how to deal with this. One colleague attacked my faith, and I got to defend God. That I can do! But I don't know how to get them to see God in the work that He, and only He, is doing in me. I want no attention to myself, except to show them Christ in me.

Any advice is welcome. I take this very seriously. God gave me this job so I could learn how to show people Christ, and not myself.

I’m thinking their praising you because that’s all they know. Wouldn’t worry about it, just keep your eyes on Christ and as Southernscotty said just let your light so shine. Sounds like someone will be getting there “well done thou good and faithful servant”

Much love in Christ, Not me

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh yes, I am shocked everyday that an awesome God like we serve can use a man like me. Isn't is wonderful :]
See you are growing spiritually, as well as they are, and it is such a blessing when we can talk about Him and have a joyful conversation, And it is also wonderful when we can talk about Him and be persecuted for it. Keep on Sister. Be prepared in season and out. :] I will be lifting you up in prayer! :]

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I’m thinking their praising you because that’s all they know.
Very good point. I used to think of Christianity as just some religion, and I suppose they do as well. Or as a philosophy. I'm gonna have to pray for God to help me understand where they are coming from.

Wouldn’t worry about it, just keep your eyes on Christ and as Southernscotty said just let your light so shine. Sounds like someone will be getting there “well done thou good and faithful servant”

Much love in Christ, Not me
I suppose I will. Still, it will be all thanks to Jesus. :)

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh yes, I am shocked everyday that an awesome God like we serve can use a man like me. Isn't is wonderful :]
See you are growing spiritually, as well as they are, and it is such a blessing when we can talk about Him and have a joyful conversation, And it is also wonderful when we can talk about Him and be persecuted for it. Keep on Sister. Be prepared in season and out. :] I will be lifting you up in prayer! :]
Right? And He almost only uses people like us. It is really amazing. I hope this feeling never goes away. And that He never stops guiding me and using me. :)

Thanks for the prayers, I will make sure to pray for you as well. :)

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very good point. I used to think of Christianity as just some religion, and I suppose they do as well. Or as a philosophy. I'm gonna have to pray for God to help me understand where they are coming from.

I suppose I will. Still, it will be all thanks to Jesus. :)

Just keep feeding your personal relationship with Jesus and He will continue to take you from one glory to another. Blessed are we to have such a loving and kind Saviour.

in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Proverbs 27:2
"Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips."

No matter what, Pray to God regularly...Daniel 6:10
"When Daniel learned that the document had been signed, he went into his house.
The windows in its upper room opened toward Jerusalem, and three times a day he got down on his knees, prayed, and gave thanks to his God,
just as he had done before."

How Nehemiah handled his promotion and the perks that came with the job... Nehemiah 5:14-19
Moreover, from the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, until his thirty-second year—twelve years—neither I nor my brothers ate the food allotted to the governor.
But the earlier governors—those preceding me—placed a heavy burden on the people and took forty shekels of silver from them in addition to food and wine.
Their assistants also lorded it over the people.
But out of reverence for God I did not act like that.
Instead, I devoted myself to the work on this wall.
All my men were assembled there for the work; we did not acquire any land.
Furthermore, a hundred and fifty Jews and officials ate at my table, as well as those who came to us from the surrounding nations.
Each day one ox, six choice sheep and some poultry were prepared for me, and every ten days an abundant supply of wine of all kinds.
In spite of all this, I never demanded the food allotted to the governor, because the demands were heavy on these people.
Remember me with favor, O my God, for all I have done for these people.

Be faithful....1 Corinthians 15:58
“Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm.
Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that
your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

How do I deal with this?

So for awhile I had the same problem.

I came to several conclusions.

1. I shouldn't expect non-christians to grasp christian ideology. So when you say "But they don't understand what that means" just accept it. The pagans are not going to understand Christian beliefs. Let the pagans be pagans. Just live out your faith, without expecting them to understand.

2. I praise G-d in all things. When they give me a compliment, I accept it... and accept it as praise to G-d. I don't try and deflect when people compliment me. I know... *I* personally know... who is to thank for the compliments I get. So take it, and accept it.

My practice now is to simply say "thank you". Trying to push onto others "it's not me, it's god!" when they don't even know G-d, is almost insulting to them.

Insulting the pagans, isn't going to bring them to G-d.

3. I have low self esteem. But I keep that to myself. I don't need to burden other people with my own problems.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So for awhile I had the same problem.

I came to several conclusions.

1. I shouldn't expect non-christians to grasp christian ideology. So when you say "But they don't understand what that means" just accept it. The pagans are not going to understand Christian beliefs. Let the pagans be pagans. Just live out your faith, without expecting them to understand.

2. I praise G-d in all things. When they give me a compliment, I accept it... and accept it as praise to G-d. I don't try and deflect when people compliment me. I know... *I* personally know... who is to thank for the compliments I get. So take it, and accept it.

My practice now is to simply say "thank you". Trying to push onto others "it's not me, it's god!" when they don't even know G-d, is almost insulting to them.

Insulting the pagans, isn't going to bring them to G-d.

3. I have low self esteem. But I keep that to myself. I don't need to burden other people with my own problems.
Thanks, but I tried all of that in my last job though. It came out as pride and false humility, and I was convicted for it. It brought no glory to God.
God has now been leading me in the opposite direction. I can't hide my faith, because I also did that for a while, and He is calling me to talk about Him. That is why I'm asking these questions. This job is perfect for me to learn how to talk about God, and I get to to do that a lot with a lot of different people. So when they say these things, I'm not going to simply accept the praise for myself. I live in a country where that is the norm, so I have to be different.

All Glory to God. The truth offends the flesh, so if they feel insulted, maybe they will also feel conviction, which will lead to repentance. That is a good thing. The early Church wasn't silent, so why should we be?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks, but I tried all of that in my last job though. It came out as pride and false humility, and I was convicted for it. It brought no glory to God.
God has now been leading me in the opposite direction. I can't hide my faith, because I also did that for a while, and He is calling me to talk about Him. That is why I'm asking these questions. This job is perfect for me to learn how to talk about God, and I get to to do that a lot with a lot of different people. So when they say these things, I'm not going to simply accept the praise for myself. I live in a country where that is the norm, so I have to be different.

All Glory to God. The truth offends the flesh, so if they feel insulted, maybe they will also feel conviction, which will lead to repentance. That is a good thing. The early Church wasn't silent, so why should we be?

Really? Just saying "thank you" comes out as pride and false humility?

I don't understand.

I don't hide my faith either. I would never ask you to do that. I'm not sure how you see a connection between this, and that.

Regardless, if you really believe that this is what G-d directly wants you to do, then by all means do what you are told to do.

Just don't let your 'glory to god' become itself a matter of pride. Don't be like the apostles standing around "No I love Jesus more!" "No I do!" "No I'd die for Jesus!".

Remember what happened? Peter had to deny the Lord 3 times, to be humbled from his pride in being the biggest members of the "Jesus fan club".

I like your attitude though. Very attractive. I wish more people thought that way.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Really? Just saying "thank you" comes out as pride and false humility?

I don't understand.

I don't hide my faith either. I would never ask you to do that. I'm not sure how you see a connection between this, and that.

Regardless, if you really believe that this is what G-d directly wants you to do, then by all means do what you are told to do.

Just don't let your 'glory to god' become itself a matter of pride. Don't be like the apostles standing around "No I love Jesus more!" "No I do!" "No I'd die for Jesus!".

Remember what happened? Peter had to deny the Lord 3 times, to be humbled from his pride in being the biggest members of the "Jesus fan club".

I like your attitude though. Very attractive. I wish more people thought that way.
I didn't mean to offend you, and I'm sorry if it came out that way. I'm just telling you what is going on in my mind and what is going on in my walk with God, and has been going on.

I have been like Peter, and I have fallen like Peter and betrayed Jesus like Peter. But I've also learnt how to be obedient to Christ from it like Peter.

And yes, just saying thank you comes out as false humility for me, because I know I would be lying. If God has done something through me, I will direct all focus to Him, as a servant of God, and I tell them to thank God, not me. And that goes for both His work in me and His work through me. And the miracles He do through me. I don't do any of it by my own strength or power. I want people to see Christ in me, to be His light to the world.

Upvote 0