Dallas
✟15,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A little context here i'm a student and every day i'm surrounded by other young people some even claiming to be christians, but who disrespect our police our troops and basically all authority figures.

every time they cry about the NRA and disrespect our constitutional rights or accuse police of murder when their just doing their jobs, i grow angrier and angrier

it did not used to be like this even just two years ago at my school

and i hate to admit that i am overcome with hatred for these disrespectful kids and i even have cruel thoughts like punching them (nothing extreme) or kicking them until they say the pledge of allegiance in class

some of them won't even stand up for the pledge in the morning

how has it got this bad in just a few years?

i have a hard, hard time to reconcile my fury and anger with the knowledge that Christ is the Prince of Peace.

but then i see him binding together materials to form a lash and going into god's house and whipping those who profaned it until they bled and destroying their money altars

am i sinning when i fail to love my classmates am i failing Him when i grow so full of what i think is righteous anger, or am i really jsut succumbing to what S8N wants

thank you for your time and i'm sorry if my rage and self doubt darkens your day, i just want to make progress in my walk with the Lord and follow His path for me

• Prayers
Reactions: drjean

Die_Eberesche

Mar 2, 2018
Northumbria
✟9,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Labour
Whilst disrespect saddens and sometime enrages me, you shouldn't confuse patriotism for Christianity. A lot of what you speak of is jingoistic dedication to a nation and a cultural belief system, not necessarily dedication to Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,300.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thank u it goes beyond that though to many other forms of sin but for some reason this are the type that bother me the most. i just feel like the true disrespect is towards the law (not the law of the land but the law of God)
Perhaps going over what the law of God is in that particular circumstance and establishing your belief to what your alliance is toward may help. We can't change others but God can and does reason things out within ourselves. At this point the rage is not according to Him. Prayers that the difference between law and grace is worked out in your life.

Upvote 0

Die_Eberesche

Mar 2, 2018
Northumbria
✟9,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Labour
I would certainly agree with you that a basic regard for authority, respect and responsibility is being eroded at an alarming rate. Many people have become intrinsically selfish in the last few decades and this "ego-centric" world in which we now live has meant many people fail to look beyond their own needs and their own desires.

It has resulted in a society of selfishness, wherein many people are so lacking in respect, honour and self-pride that they posses little to no understanding of how to act in certain social situations. It's a worrying lack of etiquette and empathy; people don't have shame anymore. Whilst (as a Lutheran) I'm not one for living in guilt, I do believe we need to live in admittance of our own insignificance and have humility around others.

That doesn't exist anymore.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This sounds like a classic struggle between the flesh and spirit. You recognize what is wrong, but your flesh wants justice (even a perverted sense) because the two are always at odds. The war within.
Galatians 5

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A little context here i'm a student and every day i'm surrounded by other young people some even claiming to be christians, but who disrespect our police our troops and basically all authority figures.

every time they cry about the NRA and disrespect our constitutional rights or accuse police of murder when their just doing their jobs, i grow angrier and angrier

and i hate to admit that i am overcome with hatred for these disrespectful kids and i even have cruel thoughts like punching them (nothing extreme) or kicking them until they say the pledge of allegiance in class

i have a hard, hard time to reconcile my fury and anger with the knowledge that Christ is the Prince of Peace.

but then i see him binding together materials to form a lash and going into god's house and whipping those who profaned it until they bled and destroying their money altars

am i sinning when i fail to love my classmates am i failing Him when i grow so full of what i think is righteous anger, or am i really jsut succumbing to what S8N wants

thank you for your time and i'm sorry if my rage and self doubt darkens your day, i just want to make progress in my walk with the Lord and follow His path for me

Hello, and welcome to CF. :)

I agree that rebellion, while to a degree being normal among young people, has been culturally pushed to alarming extremes and is dangerous for them spiritually. Pride was the first sin, but rebellion is closely associated, and there is nothing redeeming in it.

I understand your anger, but we should try to cultivate the understanding that it is SIN that we should hate and be angry about, not the persons who are foolishly being taken in by it.

I wish I had good solutions for combatting it. Largely this is normally instilled in childhood. I hope as many young people as possible see the foolishness of being caught up in what they follow, and are able to mature into more healthy ways of thinking.

But no, we are never called to hate any persons, no matter how far they might be from God. We pray for them, we try to be light to them, perhaps we might rebuke them at times (this is rare). But we are called to love even those who personally hate us.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is more necessary for a heart change than it is for a behavioral change. Their misbehavior is only a symptom of where their hearts are at, and just curing their symptoms won't fix their bigger problems.

Jesus told the Pharisees,
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
" Matthew 23:25-28 NKJV

I am not saying that you are that way. I'm saying that if these people were to somehow "clean up their act" before receiving Salvation, they would become that way.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thank u it goes beyond that though to many other forms of sin but for some reason this are the type that bother me the most. i just feel like the true disrespect is towards the law (not the law of the land but the law of God)

Sin, at its mildest, is disrespect for the law of God.

Because of sin, God sent His Son to die on a cross.

What do you think we, as Christians, .... are to do ?

Matthew 5

43 “You have heard that it was said, You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who harass you 45 so that you will be acting as children of your Father who is in heaven. He makes the sun rise on both the evil and the good and sends rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward do you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing? Don’t even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Therefore, just as your heavenly Father is complete in showing love to everyone, so also you must be complete in showing love to everyone.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but then i see him binding together materials to form a lash and going into god's house and whipping those who profaned it until they bled

The scriptures do not say that He whipped them until they bled ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard Rohle

Feb 26, 2018
Dallas
✟15,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i'm sorry all, and sorry for my pride and for making such a sloppy post without proofreading it first. thank you for your patience.

i'm just having a rough time as i know i'm sinning in thought by having such a violent mental reaction to my peers.

i am also being dishonest by not admitting that i actually had a conversation with a Christian my age who does many good works, ministers to the homeless and the poor in our community, but who will not support the police or the military or stand for the pledge. he goes to anti-war protests in washington and is involved in anti-nuclear activisms. he interprets the bible differently than i was taught to.. but i have to admit that his words have been troubling me because i actually have no good response.

what if thou shalt not kill really does literally mean thou shalt not kill under any circumstances??

that is the reason i somewhat selfishly keep coming back to the image of Christ being physically violent towards those in God's house, it's in the scripture and u cannot deny it!

Upvote 0

Matthew 24 10

Feb 28, 2018
Warsaw
✟9,130.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Because in last days there will be apostasy in Church and they probably are not Christians , they were born into Christian family and attended church service that does not make them Christians .

Upvote 0

Richard Rohle

Feb 26, 2018
Dallas
✟15,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Because in last days there will be apostasy in Church and they probably are not Christians , they were born into Christian family and attended church service that does not make them Christians .
Yeah exactly, in days past they would have been severely punished as apostates, they even used to crucify apostates in medieval times

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
they even used to crucify apostates in medieval times
That action was unenlightened and missed the point of the Great Commission, altogether. Condemnation is the forgone conclusion (and doesn't need any help from us). Our mission is to avert that condemnation as frequently as possible.

Should we be prepared to use lethal force in defending our loved ones? Yes, definitely.
Should we consider such force when someone says God is icky? No.

We are all born saying that God is icky. Some of us will change our minds & hearts before we die. Others will not, and have to answer for it, then. It is our job to invite people to change their minds & hearts before it is too late, not to hasten their destruction.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Die_Eberesche
Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The solution to all that is really quite simple, but not necessarily easy.

The solution is to consciously decide to look at those kids in the same way that God looked / looks at you...

His frame of reference having been / being?

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

See that - when we were enemies.

The problem you are experiencing is that you are looking at your situation as being one where you feel you have to forgive them.

Problem with that is that you do not feel like forgiving them.

The difference between your feeling that you have to forgive them and your feeling that you don't want to, is what's behind your turmoil.

But what if you were to look at this from God's perspective?

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

2 Corinthians 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

See, if you can't do that, then you won't be able to be effective in the rest of this.

In this part here.

5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The world's values will continue to defeat you.

The thing to do?

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

How?

Through passages like the ones I have been citing about where God looks at both you, and those kids from.

From the Cross of His Son dying for you / them.

Focus on the fact that where you have been looking at things from has not only defeated you, but made you miserable.

And on the fact that you can choose to look at those kids from God's perspective - the Cross of His Dear Son.

And that by continually doing so, you'll not only be continually thanking Him for having looked at you from the Cross of His Dear Son, but you'll then be enabled to do by that, what He died for you for, to begin with - you'll be making His Cross your focus, and by that, you be being a witness of that Cross to others.

In other words, don't look at your forgiving as a have to, but as a can do - if you'll just look at those kids through the Cross of Christ just like God does - to His Son's Glory ALONE.

Just look at those kids through that, "in His stead...in remembrance of" Him.

Just try that for a time, and no matter how often you blow it.

In fact, when you do blow it, just remind yourself "yep, this too is exactly also why Christ died, for my weakness also - thank you Lord!"

In short...

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Try that for a time...

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IMO you are taking things personally.

They are not hating because of you, their true hatred is towards God. They are children of the devil and can't possibly love because they don't know Jesus!

Perhaps you're angry because they aren't seeing things the way you do (we do, believer's do). It could be a control issue (I recognize this well from my own history?)

RISE ABOVE your emotions. Study to "have the mind of Christ" which is of love and understanding. Christ did not condone misbehavior, but He fully understood it and took the brunt of their anger and evil, yet He gave His life so they (and we) might have eternal life if belief ensued.

Don't reconcile your hate. Get rid of it. Stop it! (okay, that's the parent in me coming out ;) )

Who are you to hate them? What gives you (us) that right? We are not to judge those that know not God, that's God's job. Hate what they do, but love them.

Stand for the pledge with love and respect, not judgment. Lead a life of God and love and caring and understanding... view them with God's POV. "For the natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness unto him, neither can he know them for they are Spiritually discerned."

THEN when they see that you don't react emotionally like they do, that you have the "peace that passes all understanding" , that speak with love, THEN they will come to you for what you have.

They are filled with hate and it will be their downfall. It's an emotional response that is worldly, as you have found---it is even limiting your ability to win them to Christ and you have the Truth! They don't.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i am also being dishonest by not admitting that i actually had a conversation with a Christian my age who does many good works, ministers to the homeless and the poor in our community, but who will not support the police or the military or stand for the pledge. he goes to anti-war protests in washington and is involved in anti-nuclear activisms. he interprets the bible differently than i was taught to.. but i have to admit that his words have been troubling me because i actually have no good response.!

What if you were two Christians in an underground church in North Korea? Or two Christians in Iran? Would you expect him to support the North Korean military and police or the Iranian military or police?

In Christ, there is no difference--Christ will destroy them all on the Last Day.

The obligation of a Christian in North Korea to that government is the same as the obligation of you to the US government. There is zero difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
whipping those who profaned it until they bled
Read that verse, and correct your wrong idea about what it says!!

He drove out the animals, but it does not say he beat people until they bled or anything slightly like that. He simply made them leave. If someone claimed to you he beat the people until they bled, etc., that person lied to you.

• Agree
Upvote 0