Decatur
✟16,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I posted for the first time on this thread several months ago and now I need advice on something that builds off of my previous post. So I will quote my first post and then add my more recent experience. I would really love to get past this, so anyone who has dealt with something similar and experienced healing that might have some words of encouragement or wisdom, I would be extremely grateful.

My first post: "We have been married for five years. He just recently came to me and told me that he cheated on me when we were dating. The person he cheated with is someone we have seen at multiple events and even gone to dinner with since being married. He would rake me over the coals if I even talked to other guys while we dated, something that eventually made me lose any male friends going in to marriage. The time in which he cheated was one of the hardest times of my life and he was the only person who was "there" for me. And now I realize that I actually had no one, at all (besides God, but at the time I was not at a place to recognize this). I can't help but feel hurt and betrayed, knowing that he's kept that from me for over six years now. And knowing that if he had told me back then, we would not be together today. It would have changed the course of my life... Not saying that I don't love my life now or anything, we have a beautiful little family. But, our marriage has not thrived since the first few months. And now, I feel more alone in our marriage than ever. He has asked for forgiveness and obviously feels awful about all of it. But I don't know how to move past it. I was a virgin, he was even my first kiss. And he'd been with many many girls. I think that is part of what makes this so difficult. I am having a hard time letting this go and truly forgiving him. Any suggestions for things that could help?"

The development: About a month or so after that first post, a dear friend of mine told me that she needed to talk to me about something that was weighing heavy on her. I thought it was about her own marriage because her and her husband had been going through some stuff. I called my husband to see if he could watch the kids so that I could meet with her. He then says, "I know what she wants to talk to you about." He proceeded to tell me that about a year prior to this conversation, he and a few friends (the husband of the girl I was going to meet with being one of them) went to a baseball game, had a bit to drink and then ended up at a strip club. My husband had NEVER been to one before. And now that we are five years into marriage (four then) he decided to experience that? Well, it gets worse... he confesses that he had a lap dance. Then later tells me it was one dance on the floor and then 25 minutes of it in one of those corner booth things with a curtain (I have never been to one so I really don't even know what that means or how it's set up). And I call my friend back and she's crying and tells me that there's more and that (according to her husband) he had come out bragging about getting more than a lap dance (I'm not going to go into detail). I call my husband back and confronted him and he denied that part completely. He remembered bragging, but said that he was just trying to sound cool. He said all of this through sobs, and saying he knows how stupid it was. He's devastated that I know, I'm devastated that I don't even know my husband - he's been lying for an entire year about that night. I was pregnant the night that it happened, sitting at home with our sleeping daughter, worried to death about him.

That night was a mistake, I get that. He'd never done something like that before and swears he never would again. He has been extremely broken and humble about it. He hates himself for it. But, as hard as it is to get those images of a woman with my husband out of my head, the most difficult part is getting past the year of lies. Every time I would come to him with something I was struggling with in our relationship... he made me feel like it was in my head, that my expectations or standards were too high. And now I realize the whole time he just had a guilty conscience and took it out me any time there was conflict.

I can move on past that night. But the whole year of lying, me not knowing what was wrong with our marriage and thinking it was my fault... all the memories with our little family and our precious kids now feel tainted.

Obviously, there are many many details that I have not included, it would take a book to say everything... but this is the extremely abbreviated version.

It's been three months since I found out and I am still so broken about it. I don't trust him like I used to. I'm terrified of something happening again even though he tells me everything now. He doesn't have any form of social media, he is extremely accountable and reminds me on the difficult days that it will never happen again. But I'm still terrified. We got counseling for a few weeks, but I don't know how to get past this part.

• Prayers
Reactions: TNF_13

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
It is not up to you to rebuild trust. He broke it, and the natural consequence is your broken trust. His penance (not to be confused with potential vengeance on your part) is that it is up to him to prove himself faithful to you. It's not just that he was unfaithful, but how sincere was he when he said his vows to love you and be faithful to you to the exclusion of all others? Those are all things you are going to have to grapple with, but HE has to prove. And the only way is for him to willingly account for his time, his money, his online searches, everything, to you. Even then, it will not happen any time soon. It could take years for you to ever fully trust him - if ever.

If you plan on forgiving him and working on your marriage, this will take a lot of work on your part, to not bring it up every time there's an argument, to not think of him as "owing you" for the damage he's done to the marriage. It will take a lot of prayer and surrender, remembering that it is always the innocent party who suffers the most - he sinned against you, and yet you are the one "paying" the emotional (and marital) price for his sin.

I'm sorry, there is no magic cure for the angst you are going through.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2017
Decatur
✟16,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not up to you to rebuild trust. He broke it, and the natural consequence is your broken trust. His penance (not to be confused with potential vengeance on your part) is that it is up to him to prove himself faithful to you. It's not just that he was unfaithful, but how sincere was he when he said his vows to love you and be faithful to you to the exclusion of all others? Those are all things you are going to have to grapple with, but HE has to prove. And the only way is for him to willingly account for his time, his money, his online searches, everything, to you. Even then, it will not happen any time soon. It could take years for you to ever fully trust him - if ever.

If you plan on forgiving him and working on your marriage, this will take a lot of work on your part, to not bring it up every time there's an argument, to not think of him as "owing you" for the damage he's done to the marriage. It will take a lot of prayer and surrender, remembering that it is always the innocent party who suffers the most - he sinned against you, and yet you are the one "paying" the emotional (and marital) price for his sin.

I'm sorry, there is no magic cure for the angst you are going through.

Thank you for this. I am daily trying to forgive and work through this. It is difficult for it to not be brought up every time conflict arises. I am praying for extra grace to be able to move forward rather than be stagnate.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with vallygirl,
If I may suggest, when you argue, and you ill, try to say why what ever the cause of the arguement hurts you, how it affects you and your feelings.

I also think that you both need to talk about whether you both want this marriage to continue and about how he is going to demonstrate that he is not still sleeping around.
How accountable is he going to be.
lastly what is your bottom line?

I've no doubt tat tales of past wrong doings will surface, they are past what will trigger a divorce? This is something you need to let him know and you need to prepare for this. Who's name is the house in? How open is he being about debt etc ?

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You have every reason not to trust him. You say "He had NEVER done that before" and I get the sense you really want to belive that, but how can you know?

The sad truth is that your husband seems to be into sexual addiction and lies go right along with that. It may be that he will get help from the Father and get freed, but until then, you are best to NOT trust him. How can you know if he really does get freed? Not from one thing he says, not from what any other person says or thinks, only from the Holy Spirit giving you peace and reassurance that no one else can give.

Praying for you....

Upvote 0

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It sounds to me like his expectations are not reasonable. He demands that you be faithful, all the while he cheated before you were married, and again afterwards? I think your husband is the one that needs to be working on this relationship, and if he is unwilling to put forth the effort in counseling, then the rest of his promises to "never do it again" for me would ring hollow.

It also sounds like you are making excuses for him- saying he hates himself, etc. I think he wronged you, and he has trust to earn back. If he is not willing to put forth the effort, I think you would be more than justified in moving on, for your emotional health. Getting over a betrayal of that magnitude takes a lot of effort, and a lot of work, some on your part, but mostly on his part. If he cannot step up and take responsibility, he has shown that he has no idea how marriage works.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know the situation of betrayal before marriage....
If you were serious or engaged......

But somehow before marriage it needs to be forgiven and move on.......after marriage is a different issue

Also understand he was honest to you about his sexual sin and looks like he is trying to deal with it.....

Make sure you ar both involved in church and not hanging around carnal people or nonchristians.......

Also pray for him to get involved in a mens group at church.....
This is really the only safe place a man can deal with this and most of the time it is not dealt very well without the mens group......

Upvote 0