• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

How to promote a second viewing of the Passion?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by patriarch, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patriarch

patriarch Senior Member

+4
    Catholic
    I've been seeing this movie every week, three times so far, and every week it is a different movie. It is so rich, almost as rich as the blood of Christ..

This is mostly for my own spiritual growth, because so many saints have written that the fastest way to grow in the love of God is to meditate on the passion of His son, Jesus Christ.

So many have had a taste of this by now. You can see it in reading the user reviews at Yahoo. So many say that you go in one person and come out a different person. So many have been drawn to repentance. Yet, with human beings, deeper repentance is always possible, like peeling away layers of an onion.

If a first viewing changed your life and deepened your dedication to the Lord, what might a second viewing do, and a third? It is worth experimenting with, is it not?

Pastors, if you took your church once and saw good fruits, why not take them again?

Fathers, if you took your family once, why not take them again?

My real question is, How to promote this notion of seeing it again and again? How do I find the pastors who might be open to the idea? What is the ad agency that has the Icon Productions account?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and any information you can provide.

LMG

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. reformedfan

reformedfan Senior Veteran

+158
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Are you on Mel G's payroll? Just curious

3. LuxPerpetua

LuxPerpetua I am, therefore I love

+64
    Lutheran
    *cough, cough . . . I really hope that reformedfan's above comment was meant in the spirit of tease and not sarcasm** ;)

Peace be with you brother Patriarch! :)

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful, but I think that word of mouth is an excellent medium for spreading news--and you obviously seem to have a great testimony. Once a seed is planted, by God's grace and Living Water it can sprout a hundred-fold.

As an aside, always continue to pray, of course, that others will be brought to Christ and that those who know Christ will be brought even closer to Him *not only* through this film but through all vessels of God's grace and love.

4. reformedfan

reformedfan Senior Veteran

+158
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican

Idunno. Did it make you laugh or cry?

5. LuxPerpetua

+64
    Lutheran
    It made me wonder.

6. WayneThe5th

WayneThe5th You Bet, I'm For Real

+1
    Calvinist
    I would never go see the movie once, much less over and over.

7. Lotar

Lotar Swift Eagle Justice

+430
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I saw it once. I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD if they price it reasonably. I think that's giving Mel more than enough money.

8. LuxPerpetua

+64
    Lutheran
    Personally, I don't mind giving a fellow Christian money to make a film that is based on Christian belief and principles, and I am at a loss to understand why so many people think otherwise . . . not attacking anyone, but I just don't understand. This was the same reason my pastor gave and it has set weirdly with me. :confused:

9. pentecostal girl

pentecostal girl Senior Member

+15
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I've seen the movie and I thought it was wonderful!! I agree with LuxPerpetua I don't mind given money to Mel, I think it's better to give money to a Christian then a non-Christian. I would rather support a movie about Jesus then a movie that has drugs, sex, and bad language in it. I saw it about a month ago, and I'm still not over how wonderful it was.;) Many blessings

10. LuxPerpetua

+64
    Lutheran
    I'm really hoping that Mel will donate most (if not all) of the profits to charity. But I guess that's between Mel and God--although I think it would be the right thing to do.

11. pentecostal girl

+15
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    It would be awesome it he were to make a Resurrection film. That would be soooo powerful;)

12. wisdom67

wisdom67 New Member

+4
    Non-Denom
    I saw the movie once - that was enough. I found it too Catholic (Mary here, Mary there, and Mary everywhere), and not close enough to adherence of scripture to consider promoting it too highly.

I'm not even sure if I would buy it once it comes out on DVD. I just don't see the point in seeing this over and over again.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. If it bothers anyone that I feel this way then just remember that it's simply an opinion and not fact, so there is nothing to debate in that regard.

13. pentecostal girl

+15
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree it did have some Catholic stuff in there. What did you guys think of the baby that the devil was holding? I heard that it could have been the Anti-Christ. Oh, and that one girl who gave Jesus water and wiped his blood from his face, what was the signifigance of that?

14. LuxPerpetua

+64
    Lutheran
    Hiya, Pentecostal girl! There was a really long thread on OBOB about the imagery of the Passion film. Since it is a Catholic film, I think you'll find the best discussion of its imagery on a Catholic board. The title of the thread was something like "Imagery of The Passion" (sorry, I can't remember and I'm not sure how to find the thread myself--maybe the search button??). I bet you could ask someone on OBOB to help you find the thread. Just a thought. :)

15. Knight

Knight Knight of the Cross

+111
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    There is an article on www.christianitytoday.com that explains the baby thing. They emailed Mel's publicist and got an official answer.

The baby is meant to represent sin. How it looks good from afar but when you get closer and closer you see how ugly it really is.

That's the abridged version. Check the link for the full story.

Personally, I don't know that anyone would necessarily get that from the movie itself. But that's my opinion.

16. bornetobefree

bornetobefree Sister in Christ

+1
    Pentecostal
    US-Republican
    It makes a great deal of sense. I personally did not get it until he explained it as well. I am looking forward to going to see the movie again. Being one who is new in Christ, the first time it floored me. I walked out of the theater walking in a daze. I could not speak of the movie to my Husband, because I could not find the words to express what I was feeling. All I could do was re-play in my mind and heart..."I had no idea! Jesus, dear God! I just had no idea!" I cried on and off for the rest of the night, and the next day I awoke to this renewed feeling. It had to take a good nights rest to process it all, and now that it has had that time to process and digest a bit more...I need to see it again. I will definitely buy this on DVD when it comes out! It is like Schindler's List...it is a movie that is not pretty, it is truthful. And to see the truth again and again, can remind us of what is truly important in life. And life is not always pretty. For me to go see movies like this over and over again, actually teaches me something different everytime! I am so thankful for Mel Gibson's passion to create this movie! Though quite Catholic is nature, it is still the story of Jesus! Our Lord and Savior! Hallelujah! :clap: :prayer: :D

-Borne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.