How to pray better for the gospel, missions and missionaries?

Allen of the Cross

Apr 25, 2020
Kentucky
Visit site
✟26,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found this lovely book called Operation World a while back. It's like a prayer guide for all the nations of the earth. I'm just wondering if there are any other great resources to use. I'd like to learn more about missions. Id also appreciate any book recommendations on prayer. Thanks!

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It is human nature that we often are looking for books or other people‘s advice on things that are already in the Bible.

How are we to pray? The Bible says to come into his gates with thanksgiving and into his courts with praise. It tells us not to pray amiss. It tells us that the prayers of the righteous avail much.

A part of having a good prayer life is to lead a righteous life. Though I hasten to say, that the Lord is so merciful that he will answer prayers even from unbelievers many times. I saw this in my own pre Christians life when I got desperate and prayed, even though I was very much doubting the Bible and him.

Messiah told us that whenever we stand praying, if we believe that we receive, then we do receive.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word. So we need to immerse ourselves in the word day and night. Day and night.

In fact, I believe, we are to mutter on the word day and night. Joshua was told that was the way to be successful. He was to not let the words of the law, i.e. the Torah, depart from his lips.

Other places in the Bible also tell us to be meditating on the word, as in Psalms one.

The Bible also says that faith works by love. Just one reason for us to not nourish any animosity towards anyone.

Now some things we cannot pray for with results. Those are the things that are contradictory to what the Bible says. For example I never pray for world peace because the Bible makes it clear that there will never be world peace until Messiah comes.

I never pray for everyone to be saved because Messiah made it clear that only a few will take the straight and narrow path leading to eternal life.

Books can have helpful tips and reminders here and there, but I think we have to always be praying for the Holy Spirit’s guidance. We are told that we need that no man should teach us, but the Holy Spirit will guide us.

Upvote 0

Allen of the Cross

Apr 25, 2020
Kentucky
Visit site
✟26,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is human nature that we often are looking for books or other people‘s advice on things that are already in the Bible.

How are we to pray? The Bible says to come into his gates with thanksgiving and into his courts with praise. It tells us not to pray amiss. It tells us that the prayers of the righteous avail much.

A part of having a good prayer life is to lead a righteous life. Though I hasten to say, that the Lord is so merciful that he will answer prayers even from unbelievers many times. I saw this in my own pre Christians life when I got desperate and prayed, even though I was very much doubting the Bible and him.

Messiah told us that whenever we stand praying, if we believe that we receive, then we do receive.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word. So we need to immerse ourselves in the word day and night. Day and night.

In fact, I believe, we are to mutter on the word day and night. Joshua was told that was the way to be successful. He was to not let the words of the law, i.e. the Torah, depart from his lips.

Other places in the Bible also tell us to be meditating on the word, as in Psalms one.

The Bible also says that faith works by love. Just one reason for us to not nourish any animosity towards anyone.

Now some things we cannot pray for with results. Those are the things that are contradictory to what the Bible says. For example I never pray for world peace because the Bible makes it clear that there will never be world peace until Messiah comes.

I never pray for everyone to be saved because Messiah made it clear that only a few will take the straight and narrow path leading to eternal life.

Books can have helpful tips and reminders here and there, but I think we have to always be praying for the Holy Spirit’s guidance. We are told that we need that no man should teach us, but the Holy Spirit will guide us.

I typically appreciate this sentiment. I definitely put the scriptures far above any other literature. Having said that, I believe in informed intercession. I'm wanting to grow in the discipline of prayer.

I think you would agree that the prayer "Lord, bless all men, everywhere. Amen." Is too general and non specific that it is unhelpful. That's a more obvious example, but I wonder what other prayers I may be guilty of praying that are not actually within God's will to answer.

I want to use the tools God has given me in prayer to help more men get saved. So I want to study the power of prayer. I may become a missionary one day. Learning about missions, missionary needs, and so forth will better educate me in prayer, and maybe it will better educate me in missionary work in the future.

I also feel the need to say again I put the scriptures far above any other literature.

Finally I appreciate your wisdom. I agree that praying against the scriptures is unwise. Any other advice you can think of, just let me know.

And thank you brothers and sisters for your advice and recommendations.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering if there are any other great resources to use. I'd like to learn more about missions.

They are called missionary magazines and missionary prayer letters.
Talk to your minister about the missionaries the church actively supports.
You know the ones there are posters of on the mission board and the missionary magazine laying g on the christian book table.

If you don't have a chur h, google church in your area and join one.
If your minister cannot talk to you about missionaries actively supported by the church h, ask why should you stay in such an un I local church and start looking.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I typically appreciate this sentiment. I definitely put the scriptures far above any other literature. Having said that, I believe in informed intercession. I'm wanting to grow in the discipline of prayer.

I think you would agree that the prayer "Lord, bless all men, everywhere. Amen." Is too general and non specific that it is unhelpful. That's a more obvious example, but I wonder what other prayers I may be guilty of praying that are not actually within God's will to answer.

I want to use the tools God has given me in prayer to help more men get saved. So I want to study the power of prayer. I may become a missionary one day. Learning about missions, missionary needs, and so forth will better educate me in prayer, and maybe it will better educate me in missionary work in the future.

I also feel the need to say again I put the scriptures far above any other literature.

Finally I appreciate your wisdom. I agree that praying against the scriptures is unwise. Any other advice you can think of, just let me know.

And thank you brothers and sisters for your advice and recommendations.
I was certainly not implying that you were putting the literature of men above the Bible. But so often we do go to human literature, when the answer is right there in the Bible already. Man’s literature may point right back to the Bible. When that happens it’s good.

Upvote 0