• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to overcome "silly" fears and thoughts?

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While my anxiety has eased up in the recent months and I haven't had a full blown psychotic episode in a long time, I have been having unrelenting and unshakable concerns that I might go to hell or that God might get mad at me for what to others seem like the silliest reasons. I must admit even I am embarrassed that these thoughts cause me so much stress, but that doesn't stop me from believing them :(
I know I'm a little old to be having such fears which is why I don't really feel comfortable telling my mom about them.

Okay so here my current "silly" fear, my little sister is a huge fan of my little pony and she ended up getting me to like it too. The show has helped at least once to distract me during a panic attack, so I thought the show was fine. Then I stumbled upon the other Christian forum and read that My little pony was satanic because it has magic. Since I read this I have been fearing that I will go to hell for watching it I haven't told my sister this yet and I'm sure if I should.
I'm beginning to fear that maybe all the television shows and books we enjoy might be bad, such as Superman, Spiderman, and Science fiction books.

I know these things sound silly, but the idea of going to hell is very scary to me it doesn't help that I feel like I'm betraying Jesus for even entertaining these thoughts.
Please help.

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thinking MLP is Santanic? Now that's something I haven't heard before.

Is either that or Harry Potter Satanic? No (in fact Harry Potter has a lot of Christian themes, but that's a topic for another thread).

You know what the original translation for witchcraft was in the Bible? The original word was "pharmakeia", which was basically a way of using drugs to try to communicate with the dead—it's where our word "pharmacy" comes from.

So no, none of that stuff is Satanic. Originally-Greek-speaking, getting drugs from a pharmacy would be more in line with the "witchcraft" of the Bible. And neither MLP, or Harry Potter, or well, almost anything I know of in media that has magic, does not involve drugs being used to contact the dead.

I have anxiety problems too at times, so this is a bit weird coming from me, but—don't worry so much. :)

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you're struggling. In my personal opinion, I do NOT think that the fictional stories, tv shows, and movies you mentioned are demonic in nature. Have you shared your concerns with a pastor or Christian counselor? Have you prayed and asked for guidance on this issue?

I do not think you are betraying Jesus by finding some comfort in a benign children's television show. I believe that God created storytelling and certain forms of entertainment with a purpose, to help people, to enlighten, to teach, and also to have fun. While it's wise to be judicious in your choice of entertainment, I think you're beating yourself up unnecessarily.

I pray that your anxiety lessons and that God grants you comfort.

• Friendly
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

ChristianMatchmaking

Jul 16, 2005
US
✟18,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One thing you should know is that there may be treatable physical reasons for "panic attacks." For example, you may have a small growth or tumor that is affecting something, such as adrenal glands, and so forth. That may have to be determined. There may also be dietary reasons, such as perhaps caffeine, or some other ingested substance.

As far as TV shows and such things go, these are some good general rules to live by, although they might seem to only be applicable to something like food:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+6:12&version=NASB

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+10:23-30&version=NASB

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+15:11&version=NASB

One certainly does not want to be completely careless about what one partakes of in terms of such things you mentioned, but at the same time they cannot damn you and generally ("adult" stuff excluded from discussion here) are not intrinsically sinful to be exposed to or even enjoy. However, one does want to be very careful about possible influence upon the heart even though it may not be a sin to watch, read, listen, or even enjoy. One wants to bear this in mind as well for instance:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 15:33&version=NASB

In my own case for example, I usually avoid TV shows that have a strong component of things like witchcraft for instance, even if it's done "tongue-in-cheek," like the show "Charmed" for instance, but nonetheless I would not consider it a sin to watch. Have watched "Supernatural" in the past but generally avoid it. Recently watched the movie Maleficent and greatly enjoyed and was rather moved by it, however. It may in some cases be a foolish or sinful waste of time, but not necessarily intrinsically a sin just to partake if I "have" the time so to speak.

And yes indeed, as someone mentioned above, I have enjoyed a little of the Harry Potter stuff, though not that interested in it, and of course the great classics like Lord of the Rings and so forth, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
While my anxiety has eased up in the recent months and I haven't had a full blown psychotic episode in a long time, I have been having unrelenting and unshakable concerns that I might go to hell or that God might get mad at me for what to others seem like the silliest reasons. I must admit even I am embarrassed that these thoughts cause me so much stress, but that doesn't stop me from believing them
I know I'm a little old to be having such fears which is why I don't really feel comfortable telling my mom about them.

Okay so here my current "silly" fear, my little sister is a huge fan of my little pony and she ended up getting me to like it too. The show has helped at least once to distract me during a panic attack, so I thought the show was fine. Then I stumbled upon the other Christian forum and read that My little pony was satanic because it has magic. Since I read this I have been fearing that I will go to hell for watching it I haven't told my sister this yet and I'm sure if I should.
I'm beginning to fear that maybe all the television shows and books we enjoy might be bad, such as Superman, Spiderman, and Science fiction books.

I know these things sound silly, but the idea of going to hell is very scary to me it doesn't help that I feel like I'm betraying Jesus for even entertaining these thoughts.
Please help.
YHWH is reaching you through your conscience which remarkably today is still alive and active.
(most people have no conscience left, having seared it for so many years)

Trust YHWH'S WORD (THE BIBLE) and read it as much as you are able to.

Yes, it is scary how much wickedness is in the forums and the world and television and books.
Perhaps it is more scary that the wickedness of men everywhere is promoted instead of exposed , and thus they continue sinning instead of repenting ,
instead of turning to YHWH(GOD) to do what is right and true and good.

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thinking MLP is Santanic? Now that's something I haven't heard before.

Is either that or Harry Potter Satanic? No (in fact Harry Potter has a lot of Christian themes, but that's a topic for another thread).

You know what the original translation for witchcraft was in the Bible? The original word was "pharmakeia", which was basically a way of using drugs to try to communicate with the dead—it's where our word "pharmacy" comes from.

So no, none of that stuff is Satanic. Originally-Greek-speaking, getting drugs from a pharmacy would be more in line with the "witchcraft" of the Bible. And neither MLP, or Harry Potter, or well, almost anything I know of in media that has magic, does not involve drugs being used to contact the dead.

I have anxiety problems too at times, so this is a bit weird coming from me, but—don't worry so much. :)

Thank you CrystalDragon, this makes me feel better, I've never seen the ponies do any seances in the show so I'll try not to worry about it.

I'm sorry you're struggling. In my personal opinion, I do NOT think that the fictional stories, tv shows, and movies you mentioned are demonic in nature. Have you shared your concerns with a pastor or Christian counselor? Have you prayed and asked for guidance on this issue?

I do not think you are betraying Jesus by finding some comfort in a benign children's television show. I believe that God created storytelling and certain forms of entertainment with a purpose, to help people, to enlighten, to teach, and also to have fun. While it's wise to be judicious in your choice of entertainment, I think you're beating yourself up unnecessarily.

I pray that your anxiety lessons and that God grants you comfort.

My mom is trying to find me a good Christian counselor we've had problems in the past with other counselors so I don't have one the moment. I could try to speak with a pastor though.
I have prayed to God about it, but I have problems discerning whether or not He's speaking to me or if I'm hearing my own thoughts. Thank you however for the advice and prayers as long as I'm not upsetting Jesus, I feel much better about the situation. :)

One thing you should know is that there may be treatable physical reasons for "panic attacks." For example, you may have a small growth or tumor that is affecting something, such as adrenal glands, and so forth. That may have to be determined. There may also be dietary reasons, such as perhaps caffeine, or some other ingested substance.

As far as TV shows and such things go, these are some good general rules to live by, although they might seem to only be applicable to something like food:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+6:12&version=NASB

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+10:23-30&version=NASB

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+15:11&version=NASB

One certainly does not want to be completely careless about what one partakes of in terms of such things you mentioned, but at the same time they cannot damn you and generally ("adult" stuff excluded from discussion here) are not intrinsically sinful to be exposed to or even enjoy. However, one does want to be very careful about possible influence upon the heart even though it may not be a sin to watch, read, listen, or even enjoy. One wants to bear this in mind as well for instance:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 15:33&version=NASB

In my own case for example, I usually avoid TV shows that have a strong component of things like witchcraft for instance, even if it's done "tongue-in-cheek," like the show "Charmed" for instance, but nonetheless I would not consider it a sin to watch. Have watched "Supernatural" in the past but generally avoid it. Recently watched the movie Maleficent and greatly enjoyed and was rather moved by it, however. It may in some cases be a foolish or sinful waste of time, but not necessarily intrinsically a sin just to partake if I "have" the time so to speak.

And yes indeed, as someone mentioned above, I have enjoyed a little of the Harry Potter stuff, though not that interested in it, and of course the great classics like Lord of the Rings and so forth, etc.

Thank you for the links I'll make to read them, I like having guidelines to follow. I now feel a lot more comfortable watching the show with my sister. I don't think I'll tell her what I read on the other forum I don't want to cause her unneeded stress.

Upvote 0

ChristianMatchmaking

Jul 16, 2005
US
✟18,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think I'll tell her what I read on the other forum I don't want to cause her unneeded stress.

Meant to ask, what other forum is that, by the way? Near as I can tell there must be a bunch. You can tell me in a pm if you don't want to mention it here.

P.S. If you are not already, you also want to be avoiding all forms of artificial sweeteners like the plague. They are seriously bad news. Don't have time to compile all the supporting stuff here, but imo you can be confident some of them may very well act upon your brain and possibly even contribute to any troubles. That includes Splenda, Nutrasweet, (aka, aspartame and sucralose), check product labels. Ironically, the one which may be the safest of them all is the old dinosaur saccharin that was big in the 70's, but I would avoid that too, and all products with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), which is likely to be in a lot of things at your school cafeteria.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Meant to ask, what other forum is that, by the way? Near as I can tell there must be a bunch. You can tell me in a pm if you don't want to mention it here.

P.S. If you are not already, you also want to be avoiding all forms of artificial sweeteners like the plague. They are seriously bad news. Don't have time to compile all the supporting stuff here, but imo you can be confident some of them may very well act upon your brain and possibly even contribute to any troubles. That includes Splenda, Nutrasweet, (aka, aspartame and sucralose), check product labels. Ironically, the one which may be the safest of them all is the old dinosaur saccharin that was big in the 70's, but I would avoid that too, and all products with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), which is likely to be in a lot of things at your school cafeteria.

The other forum is called http://christianchat.com I hope it is okay to post it here.
When you say I should avoid artificial sweeteners, should I also avoid sugar alternatives? Like Stevia or Monk fruit? I drink a lot of juices sweetened with Stevia could that cause panic attacks?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
While my anxiety has eased up in the recent months and I haven't had a full blown psychotic episode in a long time, I have been having unrelenting and unshakable concerns that I might go to hell or that God might get mad at me for what to others seem like the silliest reasons. I must admit even I am embarrassed that these thoughts cause me so much stress, but that doesn't stop me from believing them :(

Please help.[/QUOTE

Please help.
Get your doctor to refer you for some cognitive behavioural therapy.

Upvote 0

ChristianMatchmaking

Jul 16, 2005
US
✟18,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The other forum is called [...]
When you say I should avoid artificial sweeteners, should I also avoid sugar alternatives? Like Stevia or Monk fruit? I drink a lot of juices sweetened with Stevia could that cause panic attacks?

Well, I would edit your post so that it is not a live link if I were you. You can just add spaces in it or something.

I'm not that up on stevia and embarrassed to say I don't really know anything about monk fruit. As an added note, do also avoid "agave nectar." That one may be "natural," but is actually quite dangerous and bad for you.

Regarding stevia used to drink a lot of it in the past, but not any more. I would say make sure it's organic if you do. When I first bought a box of stevia packs, it was from Whole Foods. The product was apparently imported from South America or something, and was not organic. Seemed to really disagree with me and even give me headaches. Some time later I was getting organic stevia in a beverage (or so it claimed), and that at least was not causing me that problem. Honey is also good, but google the phrase "honey laundering." The bottom line is that with honey, there is so much corruption in the industry that you basically can't really trust or buy anything on the shelves except maybe a few. So you want domestic US honey in general, and one that is reputed to be "non-corrupt." The only honey I've been buying for years now which I have confidence in is Trader Joes clover honey. Quite good, reasonable price, and feel confident it's not adulterated. Same goes for the olive oil industry. The only two olive oils I'm aware of that have been tested and verified to not be crookedly adulterated are ironically not the expensive kind but the two "California" versions from both Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Haven't been buying honey even for a while now, though, like maybe several months. What I've been doing is going gluten free, polyunsaturated oil-free (they are bad for you contrary to the way we are brainwashed otherwise except ones like olive oil, which is more "monounsaturated," but you should not heat or cook with it) and when I want something sweet it's either just apples, bananas, or orange juice. Sometimes also raisins. Have to be careful with the OJ, though, because can get a bit carried away with it. If you need to cook with fat or oil, then use nice lovely saturated fat including real butter or coconut oil. We have also been brainwashed for years with myths about that, too. Avoid the oils like canola, soybean, etc., like the plague, all of the "polyunsaturated" ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianMatchmaking

Jul 16, 2005
US
✟18,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Real maple syrup is also good and good for you, by the way, but I probably don't even need to tell you that. The larger point is that you want to address everything you consume and how it might affect your health including your specific concerns expressed here. In my experience, that means some of what you may encounter on a college meal plan may need to be avoided instead of thinking you can just eat or drink whatever is there.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thought life is certainly important. Thinking the thoughts of God are of importance for that. We come to this more with reading the Bible ever more. Especially see what Jesus has been saying. From these things look for and meditate how they apply for godliness in this life.

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Please help.
I also have silly fears that God will not love me anymore because of something I ate, drank or watched on tv. It isn't that silly or strange. But I realize that I have nothing to worry about and it's just demonic attacks that I must bring to the Lord in prayer.

Here is my advice:

2 Corinthians 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

copyChkboxOff.gif
2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ

What you are experiencing is actually a demonic attack in your mind and simply praying to our Heavenly Father in the name of Our Lord Jesus that he remove these thoughts and take control of your mind should make these silly thoughts of doubt, leave you.

Just pray to your self: Please Lord Jesus take these thoughts. Repeat this prayer over and over and ask that you be not tempted above what you can handle.

Don't worry, you are fine.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is so hard with anxietyto follow your convctions and not worry about it. I do not believe what you are doing is sin but take comfort that if you believe it is, you can ask Jesus to forgive you and just stop watching it. God is willing to forgive.

But like I said, I can say 100% sure on my end it is not. There is a lot of things out there and anxiety really can grab us but God loves us and wont send us to Hell for a sin knowing or unknowing if we bring it to Him.

Upvote 0

Griswold

Nov 7, 2016
United States
✟9,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sticky thoughts like these that you mentioned where on one hand we are hung up on a fear, and on the other we feel they are "silly" may be a sign of OCD. Obviously this would be better diagnosed by a professional but having OCD myself I am familiar with what you are going through. It may be worth looking in to if it will help you understand your position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watched the film Constantine, came out of the cinema convinced I was going to hell and it was only by talking to my vicar I was reassured God had not abandoned me. Mahusive OCD especially about locks and locking things...took me 45 minutes to leave work once because I had to check and recheck I had locked my locker.

I eventually went to my dr and was put on a course of Cognative behavioural therapy which reduced the OCD and stress enormously but there can be physical things that cause anxiety like an over or under active thyroid.

Don't be afraid to ask for help Gingerine.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I watched the film Constantine, came out of the cinema convinced I was going to hell and it was only by talking to my vicar I was reassured God had not abandoned me. Mahusive OCD especially about locks and locking things...took me 45 minutes to leave work once because I had to check and recheck I had locked my locker.

I eventually went to my dr and was put on a course of Cognative behavioural therapy which reduced the OCD and stress enormously but there can be physical things that cause anxiety like an over or under active thyroid.

Don't be afraid to ask for help Gingerine.

If you think you're going to hell just for watching a movie, you're too fearful.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What goes against our conscience is yet wrong for us, if we do such a thing we should stop. Without coming to Christ, stopping that may be too hard, with coming to Christ it will be made possible. But what is only wrong for any one of us because of conscience is not then wrong for others. We can learn of things being wrong for any based on what Yahweh God said, with some things that are connected or involved made wrong by what God said is wrong, through the word that is revelation from God. In Christ we are being delivered from sin, with our cooperation, it for us to not keep sinning, there is not condemnation for us then.

Upvote 0