Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Given Jesus' commandments, it will require a return to loving God and compassion towards others, especially the unfortunate. The latter will entail significant sacrifices.

First we need to separate the truly unfortunate from the fraudsters and malingerers; a sort of triage. This will indeed require using the love of God; agape; which includes the judgment of discernment in this regard.

The unfortunate may indeed be called on to sacrifice some of the lifestyle choices that contribute to their misfortune.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ever seen someone with kidney failure?

My kidneys weren't removing salt as a side effect of BP meds. It took three months to return to normal after I stopped. Additionally, my BP returned to normal. No more spikes, no more nitro.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The side effect of not taking a medication for Diabetes because you cannot afford it is what?
If all those lazy pancreases would just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get to work, there wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My kidneys weren't removing salt as a side effect of BP meds. It took three months to return to normal after I stopped. Additionally, my BP returned to normal. No more spikes, no more nitro.
Great that you had such a good outcome. Your lab work showed early kidney problems that were reversible because they were caused by medication. Now. Think about had your kidneys continued to fail. Diabetes that cannot be controlled has a myriad of irreversible “side effects”.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If all those lazy pancreases would just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get to work, there wouldn't be a problem anymore.
Lazy Pancreas Syndrome.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great that you had such a good outcome. Your lab work showed early kidney problems that were reversible because they were caused by medication. Now. Think about had your kidneys continued to fail. Diabetes that cannot be controlled has a myriad of irreversible “side effects”.

Diabetes, it turns out, is pretty complicated.

Is Type 2 Diabetes Reversible?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you suggesting that kidney failure should be the poster child for the whole healthcare debate?
An example of a preventable problem easily addressed when people have access to treatment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An example of a preventable problem easily addressed when people have access to treatment.

Once diagnosed you have it forever.

Access to treatment doesn't often change people's lifestyles except in dramatic cases.

Doctor: "You're in pretty good health now, but it would be good for you down the road if you'd lose some weight."

Patient: (Blank stare at doctor).

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Access to treatment doesn't often change people's lifestyles except in dramatic cases.

Doctor: "You're in pretty good health now, but it would be good for you down the road if you'd lose some weight."

That’s really not typical response. Being diabetic actually makes weight loss harder for some.

But, it appears you have a lot of the blame the patient syndrome. Or, you’re semi trolling:tutu:

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Doctor: here are some suggestions on things that you could do in order to help you achieve that goal.

Treatment doesn't end at the diagnosis/prescription.

"Lose weight" is a very abstract goal. When a patient gives you a blank stare like that, it could be that they're stonewalling you. Or it could mean that they're overwhelmed by questions and have no idea where to start. How much weight should I lose? What diet would be best for me? How much should I be exercising? What kinds of exercises should I do?

Simply telling a patient that they need to lose weight isn't very helpful, and can, in fact, hurt in the long run. Not all diets are created equal, and some could be harmful. Improper exercise technique can lead to severe injury. Losing too much weight because you don't know when to stop is also a bad thing. These are things that patients might be able to figure out on their own, but there's so much misinformation and junk science out there, especially when it comes to weight loss, that finding the right information is like navigating a minefield.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But, it appears you have a lot of the blame the patient syndrome.
A poster notes that the OP has exhibited signs of this condition for years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟202,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The greatness of a nation must be reflected in the character of it's people. Governments can do great and beneficent things using the taxes extracted by force from it's people, but those efforts ring hollow if the populace doesn't reflect the goodness of those efforts. The weakness or strength of the nation is the weakness or strength of the individual citizen.

So what is weak that needs strengthening? Several simple but crucial things.

Citizens must be law abiding.
Citizens must be financially responsible.
Citizens must be healthy.
Citizens must be industrious.
Citizens must be honest.
Citizens must be moral.
Citizens must be caring.
Citizens must be involved.

These qualities will make America great again.
I think that you could have just said citizens must be moral, all the rest would follow. Morality in mankind is about having His Spirit. It's not in a countries' government's power nor should it be in their purview to make it's citizens moral.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Doctor: here are some suggestions on things that you could do in order to help you achieve that goal.

Treatment doesn't end at the diagnosis/prescription.

"Lose weight" is a very abstract goal. When a patient gives you a blank stare like that, it could be that they're stonewalling you. Or it could mean that they're overwhelmed by questions and have no idea where to start. How much weight should I lose? What diet would be best for me? How much should I be exercising? What kinds of exercises should I do?

Simply telling a patient that they need to lose weight isn't very helpful, and can, in fact, hurt in the long run. Not all diets are created equal, and some could be harmful. Improper exercise technique can lead to severe injury. Losing too much weight because you don't know when to stop is also a bad thing. These are things that patients might be able to figure out on their own, but there's so much misinformation and junk science out there, especially when it comes to weight loss, that finding the right information is like navigating a minefield.

How hard can it be to lose weight?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that you could have just said citizens must be moral, all the rest would follow. Morality in mankind is about having His Spirit. It's not in a countries' government's power nor should it be in their purview to make it's citizens moral.

Spiritual persons and non-spiritual persons are quite different.

I believe it is the duty of leadership to make citizens aware of their civic responsibilities, at the very least. Of course that applies to them as well.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A government cannot legislate either morality or compassion. But a government can legislate public policy.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0