Noblesville
✟101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
☦️ 7D010DC7-7C6F-47BB-975E-451841E43195.jpeg We are wanting to make a couple wooden 3 bar Orthodox Crosses as thank you gifts for the priest teaching our catechumen classes and our sponsors. I’ve searched and searched but can’t find the specifications for the distance between the bars and proper width to height. I found them for the more modern style cross commonly used in Protestant churches as shown above so I wondered if anyone here might be able to offer some input. Thank you

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
☦️View attachment 319476 We are wanting to make a couple wooden 3 bar Orthodox Crosses as thank you gifts for the priest teaching our catechumen classes and our sponsors. I’ve searched and searched but can’t find the specifications for the distance between the bars and proper width to height. I found them for the more modern style cross commonly used in Protestant churches as shown above so I wondered if anyone here might be able to offer some input. Thank you

That's funny you should ask. I had the same problem several years ago. Long story short, I measured a small cross and extrapolated the dimensions from it. Here's what I ended up with:

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0

Melista

Jun 13, 2022
Noblesville
✟101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's funny you should ask. I had the same problem several years ago. Long story short, I measured a small cross and extrapolated the dimensions from it. Here's what I ended up with:
That’s beautiful! Thank you

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
☦️View attachment 319476 We are wanting to make a couple wooden 3 bar Orthodox Crosses as thank you gifts for the priest teaching our catechumen classes and our sponsors. I’ve searched and searched but can’t find the specifications for the distance between the bars and proper width to height. I found them for the more modern style cross commonly used in Protestant churches as shown above so I wondered if anyone here might be able to offer some input. Thank you

do you have any local monasteries that do woodwork?

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

Melista

Jun 13, 2022
Noblesville
✟101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
do you have any local monasteries that do woodwork?
I’m not sure. There’s one in the next state over so I can definitely check. I could probably order one online I suppose-I’ve actually seen some nice ones on Etsy but we have a woodshop so I figured it would be a nice to try to make it ourselves. Thankfully I have until our chrismation in December to figure it out.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure. There’s one in the next state over so I can definitely check. I could probably order one online I suppose-I’ve actually seen some nice ones on Etsy but we have a woodshop so I figured it would be a nice to try to make it ourselves. Thankfully I have until our chrismation in December to figure it out.

maybe they could at least give you the measurements so you can make your own, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

How large did you want to make them? I have one here. It is 15" long and the middle bar is 6.5" long across. The top bar is 4.5" long. Each bar and the main cross is about 1.5" wide and 3/4" thick. The top bar is 1.5" from the top and as I said is 1.5" wide. The middle bar starts 1.75" below the bottom of the top bar and as I said is about 1.5" wide. The lower bar starts 1.75" from the bottom of the middle bar. The cross bars are connected to the main cross by notched joints, like Lincoln logs. Mine is similar to this one:

https://res.cloudinary.com/woodland.../d/i/dimensional_religious_cross_orthodox.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0

Melista

Jun 13, 2022
Noblesville
✟101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How large did you want to make them? I have one here. It is 15" long and the middle bar is 6.5" long across. The top bar is 4.5" long. Each bar and the main cross is about 1.5" wide and 3/4" thick. The top bar is 1.5" from the top and as I said is 1.5" wide. The middle bar starts 1.75" below the bottom of the top bar and as I said is about 1.5" wide. The lower bar starts 1.75" from the bottom of the middle bar. The cross bars are connected to the main cross by notched joints, like Lincoln logs. Mine is similar to this one:

https://res.cloudinary.com/woodland.../d/i/dimensional_religious_cross_orthodox.jpg
Thank you so much. That one seems like a good size to me. Those measurements help tremendously. I was just getting lessons in the woodshop from my husband and brother in law so once I figured out more specifics I would know how to use the different saws and router. I can’t thank you enough!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums