Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am looking to change church’s but know how to find the right church?
It depends on what you are looking for in a church, whether it is:
* fellowship
* pastoral care
* Biblical preaching
* Opportunities for involvement and service.

If a church meets those criteria more or less, then it could be a suitable church for you. You might be pleasantly surprised at where you end up.

Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As Oscarr and Tigger said, we really have to know such things as what your beliefs are and the kind of worship style you favor. Even a sketchy outline could help a lot. And it would also help to know what you found lacking in any of the churches you have belonged to or attended up til now. We can assist you, I'm sure, but it will take us having a little background info.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The same principle given in Isaiah 66:2 regarding individuals would apply to churches as well.
"Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word." (Isaiah 66:1-2)

SO many churches can be weeded out just by observing the lack of honesty and lack of regard over what the Bible actually says, the unwillingness of the leaders to be respectfully questioned and to answer thoroughly regarding their doctrine, and the carnality and worldliness which the church tolerates in its membership. That's not a complete answer, but that alone will exclude most for someone who really fears God.

Beyond that, pray for wisdom and protection like your life depends on it, study the Bible very carefully yourself, and know that as necessary as it is to be part of a Biblical church to be faithful to the Lord, it is still okay and right to carefully observe things at the church for a while and to honestly question the leaders before you decide to become a member and a committed part of the church body. Ye shall know them by their fruits; and the better you develop a solid understanding of the Biblical definition of good fruit, the more accurate discernment you'll have in your search. Sometimes there is a commitment to Scripture and good fruit showing from that, but there still is weakness and some lack of maturity- and that is something which shouldn't keep you from joining over, but rather something which your joining could really help and strengthen the church by.

James 1:5-7: "5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That sounds more like a matter of finding a better preacher or maybe a different congregation, but not a change of denomination.

Now, if you and we agree on that, my advice is always to visit, visit, visit. There is no substitute for checking out the other churches in person, not reading a library book about Christianity or comparative denominations or even asking your neighbors for suggestions.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find that the current church I go to the sermons are too simple and I would like to be challenged more.

You should join a on-going bible study .... 1 hour a week in any church is not going to be challenging.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You shall know them by their love. "Everyone will know that you are my disciples because of your love for each other." (John 13:35)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you are convicted you need another church, the best thing you can do in my experience is visit. Go to a new church every Sunday. If you're like me, you will eventually find yourself drawn back to one place. And drawn back again and again. That will be the place.

Reactions: GonzoVagante
Upvote 0

GonzoVagante

Oct 25, 2019
Arkansas
✟16,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In conjunction with why you want to leave, you should also consider what drew you to the church you currently attend in the first place. Ask yourself what about that has changed, or if the change is you. If the change is you, consider looking a little more for groups that have the distincitves you want. "Stronger preaching" isn't a lot to really go on. What style worship is important to you? What moral theology? How about community involvement? Pair those ideas with stronger preaching, and then visit until you find what fits.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well the first thing you need to identify is your belief system. You need to find a church that lines up with the doctrines you firmly believe in. But you also need to go through a process to be sure of those beliefs in your mind which means study and also finding out what different churches believe and their justification for it. I think its better to do this first than just visiting a church. For instance, it you do not believe in baby baptism and you are firm in that belief as you should be, it wont make sense going to a catholic church.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some beliefs are more salient than others. Consider your "stoppers" - that is beliefs that you hold so strongly that you cannot abide them in a new place to worship. You will find things you will not agree with at many (most?) places, but many of them you can overlook or tolerate because they are not essential to you. Others you feel so strongly about that you cannot tolerate and they become your stoppers. That will scratch some churches off the list to start with. "Stoppers" are different for all of us.

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Megachurches are the most likely to have Bible study groups and community ministries. Some people like small churches because of the fellowship but they miss out on really helping others and digging deeper in the Word. So try different church sizes instead of just focusing on preachers.

Reactions: jsimms615
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Visit the church and ask questions. That is my first piece of advice. I moved earlier this year. The day after, I went to a new church, asked questions and looked around.

Make notes. Get details on church events etc. Find out as much as possible. Ask how to be a active member of the church.

Jot down contact information.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Megachurches are the most likely to have Bible study groups and community ministries. Some people like small churches because of the fellowship but they miss out on really helping others and digging deeper in the Word. So try different church sizes instead of just focusing on preachers.
I agree with this as the church I now attend is really too big for me and I feel lost there

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The same principle given in Isaiah 66:2 regarding individuals would apply to churches as well.
"Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word." (Isaiah 66:1-2)

SO many churches can be weeded out just by observing the lack of honesty and lack of regard over what the Bible actually says, the unwillingness of the leaders to be respectfully questioned and to answer thoroughly regarding their doctrine, and the carnality and worldliness which the church tolerates in its membership. That's not a complete answer, but that alone will exclude most for someone who really fears God.

Beyond that, pray for wisdom and protection like your life depends on it, study the Bible very carefully yourself, and know that as necessary as it is to be part of a Biblical church to be faithful to the Lord, it is still okay and right to carefully observe things at the church for a while and to honestly question the leaders before you decide to become a member and a committed part of the church body. Ye shall know them by their fruits; and the better you develop a solid understanding of the Biblical definition of good fruit, the more accurate discernment you'll have in your search. Sometimes there is a commitment to Scripture and good fruit showing from that, but there still is weakness and some lack of maturity- and that is something which shouldn't keep you from joining over, but rather something which your joining could really help and strengthen the church by.

James 1:5-7: "5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."

That seems very good. I would add that one should want to find the mind of God, and so a truly scriptural fellowship is more important than just interesting activities and rituals. Pray much and you can write me personally if you are an earnest seeker after a Bible-only fellowship.

Upvote 0