Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most are aware of ways to keep yourself warm in the case of a Grid down situation like using a wood stove or fireplace. But the critical time comes when you are sleeping. You can easily die of hypothermia while you sleep if you don't prepare in advance.

It is not prudent to have any type of fire going while sleeping, no candles, stove etc.
So how to sleep safety?

First your sleeping wear should be in layers, covering your body fully. Thermal is the way to go. While fleece is warm it is usually bulky and you don't want to sweat as that will only make you colder.

If you have a sleeping bag you can use that. Zipped up laid on top of the bed will help to retain heat.

Wear a hat, our ancestors did this as bedrooms were cold and drafty.
Use a water bottle filled with water boiled safety before bed.

Here are some ideas I've come up with that might help as well.

On top of a bare mattress lay out some Reflectix. It is thin and will add a layer of cushion albeit thin but also will reflect your heat back to you. This could be in the range of 5-20 degrees even.
You then would cover this with your sheets and then the sleeping bag or a layer of blankets.

You can also use 'space' blankets to get a similar result.

Another way is to sleep with a body pillow, under the covers this will actually insulate you.

You can easily make one using an old sheet and some old pillows. Don't buy a ready made one as they usually aren't very thick. I've made one with and old sheet sewn in a tube with one end closed. Then I've stuffed it with two Queen size pillows. This works well.

Another thing to do before lying down is to heat your sheets. This is another trick our ancestors did. This can be done simply with a pan you used for cooking over a gas stove or candle heater. Slip it inside a small pillow case to keep any soot off your sheets and rub it around to take the chill off. Then you won't be using your body heat to take the chill off.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
A bit about hypothermia. It is nothing to sneeze at. And it can happen to you quickly without you even realizing it.
I can testify to this because it almost happened to me.

We has lost power from a storm and I was home alone, hubby had gone to work. We don't have a fireplace and at the time really had nothing to heat the house with.
I 'thought' I would be ok. I'd made some food and hot beverages using a home made 'sterno' can. But as I sat in my sofa, covered with blankets I began to feel drowsy.
You don't have to get to the point where you see your breath in front of you, it can happen way before that.

Hypothermia is the drop in body temperature. Most understand say, falling through ice in the winter is a serious situation, but sitting in a cold room can do it, just slower, which makes it more dangerous.

Hypothermia is a medical emergency that occurs when your body loses heat faster than it can produce heat, causing a dangerously low body temperature. Normal body temperature is around 98.6 F (37 C). Hypothermia occurs as your body temperature falls below 95 F (35 C).

When your body temperature drops, your heart, nervous system and other organs can't work normally. Left untreated, hypothermia can lead to complete failure of your heart and respiratory system and eventually to death.
Medications can cause or add to this as well so be aware.

Notice it's only a matter of 3-4 degrees of your body temperature for this to happen.
As it does, you start to feel drowsy and may just succumb to taking a nap. If you do you most likely won't wake up.

As it happened to me and I didn't realize it, I just snuggled under the blanket and thought I'd take a short nap.
That is when I believe I heard the LORD speaking to me and telling me to get up and move around. It was so strong an admonition I awoke and got up. I don't remember what happened after that but I'm still here. :)
When Hubby came home and found out he immediately went out and got a Mr Buddy heater. It's a propane heater that can be used indoors. We now have two.

So don't wait until you are feeling cold or drowsy for no reason. Get up and get the blood flowing, but be careful to not start to sweat, that will only make you wet and susceptible to chilling further.

You can look up the symptoms online and print it out so it's handy in your prep emergency paperwork.

Someone with hypothermia usually isn't aware of his or her condition because the symptoms often begin gradually. Also, the confused thinking associated with hypothermia prevents self-awareness. The confused thinking can also lead to risk-taking behavior.

Upvote 0

Johann@P

Apr 27, 2022
Durban South Africa
✟20,731.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A bit about hypothermia. It is nothing to sneeze at. And it can happen to you quickly without you even realizing it.
I can testify to this because it almost happened to me.

We has lost power from a storm and I was home alone, hubby had gone to work. We don't have a fireplace and at the time really had nothing to heat the house with.
I 'thought' I would be ok. I'd made some food and hot beverages using a home made 'sterno' can. But as I sat in my sofa, covered with blankets I began to feel drowsy.
You don't have to get to the point where you see your breath in front of you, it can happen way before that.

Hypothermia is the drop in body temperature. Most understand say, falling through ice in the winter is a serious situation, but sitting in a cold room can do it, just slower, which makes it more dangerous.

Hypothermia is a medical emergency that occurs when your body loses heat faster than it can produce heat, causing a dangerously low body temperature. Normal body temperature is around 98.6 F (37 C). Hypothermia occurs as your body temperature falls below 95 F (35 C).

When your body temperature drops, your heart, nervous system and other organs can't work normally. Left untreated, hypothermia can lead to complete failure of your heart and respiratory system and eventually to death.
Medications can cause or add to this as well so be aware.

Notice it's only a matter of 3-4 degrees of your body temperature for this to happen.
As it does, you start to feel drowsy and may just succumb to taking a nap. If you do you most likely won't wake up.

As it happened to me and I didn't realize it, I just snuggled under the blanket and thought I'd take a short nap.
That is when I believe I heard the LORD speaking to me and telling me to get up and move around. It was so strong an admonition I awoke and got up. I don't remember what happened after that but I'm still here. :)
When Hubby came home and found out he immediately went out and got a Mr Buddy heater. It's a propane heater that can be used indoors. We now have two.

So don't wait until you are feeling cold or drowsy for no reason. Get up and get the blood flowing, but be careful to not start to sweat, that will only make you wet and susceptible to chilling further.

You can look up the symptoms online and print it out so it's handy in your prep emergency paperwork.

Someone with hypothermia usually isn't aware of his or her condition because the symptoms often begin gradually. Also, the confused thinking associated with hypothermia prevents self-awareness. The confused thinking can also lead to risk-taking behavior.

Drink beetroot juice daily.
God bless
Johann

Upvote 0

Johann@P

Apr 27, 2022
Durban South Africa
✟20,731.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most are aware of ways to keep yourself warm in the case of a Grid down situation like using a wood stove or fireplace. But the critical time comes when you are sleeping. You can easily die of hypothermia while you sleep if you don't prepare in advance.

It is not prudent to have any type of fire going while sleeping, no candles, stove etc.
So how to sleep safety?

First your sleeping wear should be in layers, covering your body fully. Thermal is the way to go. While fleece is warm it is usually bulky and you don't want to sweat as that will only make you colder.

If you have a sleeping bag you can use that. Zipped up laid on top of the bed will help to retain heat.

Wear a hat, our ancestors did this as bedrooms were cold and drafty.
Use a water bottle filled with water boiled safety before bed.

Here are some ideas I've come up with that might help as well.

On top of a bare mattress lay out some Reflectix. It is thin and will add a layer of cushion albeit thin but also will reflect your heat back to you. This could be in the range of 5-20 degrees even.
You then would cover this with your sheets and then the sleeping bag or a layer of blankets.

You can also use 'space' blankets to get a similar result.

Another way is to sleep with a body pillow, under the covers this will actually insulate you.

You can easily make one using an old sheet and some old pillows. Don't buy a ready made one as they usually aren't very thick. I've made one with and old sheet sewn in a tube with one end closed. Then I've stuffed it with two Queen size pillows. This works well.

Another thing to do before lying down is to heat your sheets. This is another trick our ancestors did. This can be done simply with a pan you used for cooking over a gas stove or candle heater. Slip it inside a small pillow case to keep any soot off your sheets and rub it around to take the chill off. Then you won't be using your body heat to take the chill off.
Well, maybe it's from experience of trying different things, but after the first couple of sentences, I thought of a winter weather sleeping bag -- made for winter, 0-30 degrees F. Just that heavier kind made for below freezing. And it's going to be extremely effective inside a house, because you'd be also sheltered from wind and wet, so it will be very highly effective, and will work out more reliably then just extra blankets and clothing when the actually dangerous cold of well below freezing arrives.

Upvote 0