How to Interpret Tongues & Prophecy……& How to speak in tongues.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I apologize in advance …This turned out to be much longer than I anticipated….Inner verse dribble that I thought was necessary is the culprit.

My objective was to provide information on how to interpret tongues, which includes prophecy and ended up including how to speak in tongues also.

Recently on another post Akita brought up that “No one says much about interpretation of tongues” And he’s right….there are 2 other manifestation that fall into the Worship or Inspiration category other than Speaking in tongues…. that don’t get too much attention …interpretation and prophecy.

Chapter 14 of 1 Corinthians is where Paul by revelation is setting the doctrine (right believing and procedure) for those in Corinth, where there was obvious misuse and confusion with tongues, interpretation, and prophecy.

Paul had spent about 18 months teaching the Word and establishing the truth with the assistance of Silas and Timothy along with other disciples on his first trip to Corinth, which was about 5 years prior to writing 1 Corinthians, but the need for reproof was necessary due to the practice of error that had crept into the church.

My first thought was to go through chapter 14 verse by verse, but that would be to lengthy ….so I will primarily stick with prophecy and interpretation of tongues, because the message they deliver is along the same lines.

Interpretation and prophecy both deliver a message of edification, exhortation, and comfort. It is never foretelling, reproof, or specific individual instruction, but it will build up, comfort, and exhort the body of believers present. It is inspirit action…. not revelation, not foretelling and it is not something that is prepared ahead of time….the message will always flow with the Word of God, never contradict it.

Typically, it is conducted in the church setting with groups of people who believe to operate the manifestation of either tongues with interpretation and or prophecy. I know when I use the word church setting, we get a mind picture of a fairly large congregation….. and that is available. But the book of Acts set a different stage for the word church, which translated means “called out” or “assembly” (ekklēsia). Home fellowships or group meetings was more of the norm in Acts, ( Act 2:46) and would be a good structure to replicate today.

The home fellowship is an effective means of not only moving the Word, but getting your needs met, personal growth, helping others, and seeing God work in your life. Typically, it is structured with a leader (may be the homeowner) who conducts the meeting between one and three times a week. If the Word is at the center the attendance will grow ….and when it becomes too large, it splits. There are several organizations around the US and many other countries that function in that type of setting.
The most common misunderstanding of interpretation is ….how does the interpretation take place? Due to the wording in the KJV it has been understood that someone else other than the one who is speaking in tongues, interprets…. that is not the case. The person who is speaking in tongues is the one who should be interpreting…. Which is the sum and substance of the tongues spoken…. Following are the verses that have caused some confusion.

I Cor 14
14:1
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual “gifts”, but rather that ye may prophesy.

14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual “gifts”, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

First …get rid of the word ➡ gifts ⬅ in verses 1 and 14. It was added by translators there is no corresponding Greek word for that.

The word “spiritual” in verse 1 is the Greek word (pneumatikos) meaning “that which belongs to, is determined by, influenced by, or proceeds from the spirit” (spiritual matters). Tongues, interpretation, and prophecy are a manifestation of the spirit, they are not gifts…. they are an evidence of the gift of holy spirit that you were given at the new birth. (For a more detailed explanation see this site → Tongues)

14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

To “pray that he may interpret” is not pray for interpretation, but rather pray that you believe to interpret. You are already equipped with the gift of holy spirit …..which means you can operate any and all of the 9 manifestation, but if you don’t believe you can, …….pray to God that you have the confidence to accept what he has already made available to you.

Note also that verse 13 states except he interpret…. not someone else. We have to follow grammatical structure, which applies to both Greek and English. When “he” applies to the person speaking we cannot change the rules of application to suite our beliefs. In order for this to reference a totally different person, it would have to read, in the third person, they …the same applies in verse 14:5 also.

14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course (order) and let one (heis) interpret.

The Greek text employs the word heis for → one (not hen)….. meaning “the one in the samenot someone else.
(Other examples of “heis” are in Luke12:52; Romans3:30)

14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

The word no in verse 28 is the Greek word , which is a conditional negation, depending on feeling, as opposed to the Greek word ou which would be a full and direct negation not depending on any condition, expressed or implied; based on fact.

ou is objective is subjective. If we were talking about someone else, (an interpreter not being there to interpret the tongues,) the word no would have to be ou, but it is not. The word for no in this verse is mē, and it referring to the person who may lack the will, or desire to interpret.

The How

If you already speak in tongues …you are there. You know that you are not thinking about what you are saying…. you are the one doing the speaking, but holy spirit is giving the utterance. What you speak is Gods business ….but that you speak is your business.

Just as you make the decision to speak in tongues you make the decision to interpret afterwards ….the words will be there, God will see to it….and the same with prophecy. You make the decision to prophecy and the words will be there ….and just like tongues ….you don’t think about what you are saying…..just speak….

Following is something I wrote for speaking in tongues…. but same principles apply for interpretation and prophecy.

How to speak in tongues ……..Interpretation and prophecy

Being born again you have that gift of holy spirit within you. It is now up to you to operate that manifestation.

Understand first that you are the one doing the speaking…….God is not going to move your lips, or take control of your vocal cords to make you speak ……our God does not possess or control people…..ever! That includes being slain in the spirit, running around, falling down and blurting out tongues uncontrollably ….the tongues “could” be genuine….the actions are from a different source. 1 Cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

You, by the freedom of your own will make the decision to speak in tongues, which involves all the mechanics you would use as if you were speaking your native language. By this I mean…. you move your lips, your throat, your tongue, you do the speaking, God will give the utterance.

You start and you stop at will…. Again…. it is your job that you speak, but what you speak is Gods job.

In other words, at the point you decide to speak in tongues, it is you who will do the speaking …God is not forcing your lips open, and not making words come out. This is not something you pre-formulate in your mind, the only thing you do with your mind is make the decision you’re going to speak in tongues; at which point you open your mouth and begin to speak….. as I will indicate below

Many years ago when I first spoke in tongues …..I had never heard of it… never heard it done ….I had no idea, clue, or preconceived thought as to what it was….in the vernacular…. I was clueless....
I was reading a book that said you could speak this language that God gave us ….Just thank God for it ….open your mouth and start speaking….so I did. I was barely a Christian, and I don’t think I had even read any of the Bible yet…. But, it was one of the most incredible moments in my life. My tongues have not changed, I still speak the same language (of men or of angels) that I spoke that night.

Sometimes mind pictures are helpful in understanding. The following is kind of a cross between an analogy and an allegory ….we will call a Anagory (totally made up word)

Picture a hose coming down from heaven. When you become a Christian you get this hose that is attached to your mouth (it’s a spiritual hose you can’t see it) God has opened up the spigot in heaven and your mouth acts as the trigger sprayer. Inside that hose is not water, but tongues…(interpretation and prophecy) and when you speak you are speaking the wonderful works of God. The spigot is open and the words are right there ready to flow, you control the sprayer to let those words out; you start, and stop at will, you are in control.

Remember this is only an analogy to help you develop a mind picture …..you don’t really get a hose ……you can get that at the hardware store for about 20.00 and a cheap trigger sprayer for $8.00…………… but manifesting tongues, interpretation and prophecy ……………priceless!

You can speak aloud or to yourself, and you can sing in tongues in the same manner.
One of the cool things is ….that you can speak in tongues (silently) while you’re talking to someone or speak in tongues while praying for people or situations, because you are not using your mind…. it’s in spirit action; you are not using your mind to think what your saying.

Other than trying to think about what you’re saying…. the fear of failure, or of inadequacy, is probably the two things that hold any believer back from manifesting the greatness of what God has made available.

First: God doesn’t make failures, and this is available to every born again believer. I have never seen anybody fail at speaking in tongues and I have guided hundreds into manifesting. I have seen hesitancy when people think about the first word that enters their thought …….you do not think about the words, just speak.

Secondly: you have the righteousness of God, which totally eliminates any possible inadequacy you might feel…..( 2Co 5:21)

One more thing you might be thinking ..is it really that simple…..yes, it is that simple, that’s how God designed it ……………… don’t try to complicate it with your mind.

And please… don’t critique your tongues as to what it sounds like; if it sounds repetitious or the guttural sounds of an African tribe… don’t worry …. REMEMBER …(and I may have mentioned this before)

What you speak is GODS business….. but that you speak…. is your business.

Ok down to brass tacks …….How?

Find you’re yourself a quiet place to sit …..close your eyes to free yourself from distractions

When Jesus gave instructions to his apostles he told them to breath in…(of coarse you may want to consider exhaling also). So breath in, breath out, normal breaths, through your mouth for a few seconds …….{this is not a hyperventilation thing}

Now pray…. something to this effect…or whatever works for you.

Heavenly Father I now receive the holy spirit into manifestation, the power from on high which you made available through your son Jesus Christ. I thank you that I can now speak the wonderful works of God ……………..

Now open your mouth and begin to speak ….don’t think about what your saying ..just speak …God will have the words there. Don’t wait for a sentence, it doesn’t come in sentences, when you speak one word, the next one will be there….. if you speak one word, you can speak a thousand….just keep going….. Remember you can start and stop at will….. you are in control. As you practice tongues in your private prayer life it will begin to flow for you as easily as your native tongue.

(You don’t need to pray every time you speak …this is just to get you started.)

When you speak in tongues with the intention of interpretation ….once you stop tongues you immediately begin to interpret …which will be about the length of what you were speaking with tongues.

When giving a word of Prophecy it can be as short as a sentence… or several sentences. You decide when to start … the stopping will be a natural stopping point.

One more thing: Tongues is for your private prayer life unless interpreted within the group setting, fellowship, or meeting.

You can speak and sing in tongues anytime silently.... and out loud when you are alone.

If you want to practice your interpretation and prophecy to become confident, I would suggest getting with another person or more…and practice….although you can do it by yourself….God knows what you are doing.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interpretation and prophecy both deliver a message of edification, exhortation, and comfort. It is never foretelling, reproof, or specific individual instruction
This is not true. A word can bring forthtelling, reproof or specific individual instruction AND bring edification, exhortation and comfort at the same time. They are not advisarial principles.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The most common misunderstanding of interpretation is ….how does the interpretation take place? Due to the wording in the KJV it has been understood that someone else other than the one who is speaking in tongues, interprets…. that is not the case. The person who is speaking in tongues is the one who should be interpreting…. Which is the sum and substance of the tongues spoken
It could happen either way, not one or the other.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I apologize in advance …This turned out to be much longer than I anticipated….Inner verse dribble that I thought was necessary is the culprit.

My objective was to provide information on how to interpret tongues, which includes prophecy and ended up including how to speak in tongues also.

Recently on another post Akita brought up that “No one says much about interpretation of tongues” And he’s right….there are 2 other manifestation that fall into the Worship or Inspiration category other than Speaking in tongues…. that don’t get too much attention …interpretation and prophecy.

Chapter 14 of 1 Corinthians is where Paul by revelation is setting the doctrine (right believing and procedure) for those in Corinth, where there was obvious misuse and confusion with tongues, interpretation, and prophecy.

Paul had spent about 18 months teaching the Word and establishing the truth with the assistance of Silas and Timothy along with other disciples on his first trip to Corinth, which was about 5 years prior to writing 1 Corinthians, but the need for reproof was necessary due to the practice of error that had crept into the church.

My first thought was to go through chapter 14 verse by verse, but that would be to lengthy ….so I will primarily stick with prophecy and interpretation of tongues, because the message they deliver is along the same lines.

Interpretation and prophecy both deliver a message of edification, exhortation, and comfort. It is never foretelling, reproof, or specific individual instruction, but it will build up, comfort, and exhort the body of believers present. It is inspirit action…. not revelation, not foretelling and it is not something that is prepared ahead of time….the message will always flow with the Word of God, never contradict it.

Typically, it is conducted in the church setting with groups of people who believe to operate the manifestation of either tongues with interpretation and or prophecy. I know when I use the word church setting, we get a mind picture of a fairly large congregation….. and that is available. But the book of Acts set a different stage for the word church, which translated means “called out” or “assembly” (ekklēsia). Home fellowships or group meetings was more of the norm in Acts, ( Act 2:46) and would be a good structure to replicate today.

The home fellowship is an effective means of not only moving the Word, but getting your needs met, personal growth, helping others, and seeing God work in your life. Typically, it is structured with a leader (may be the homeowner) who conducts the meeting between one and three times a week. If the Word is at the center the attendance will grow ….and when it becomes too large, it splits. There are several organizations around the US and many other countries that function in that type of setting.
The most common misunderstanding of interpretation is ….how does the interpretation take place? Due to the wording in the KJV it has been understood that someone else other than the one who is speaking in tongues, interprets…. that is not the case. The person who is speaking in tongues is the one who should be interpreting…. Which is the sum and substance of the tongues spoken…. Following are the verses that have caused some confusion.

I Cor 14
14:1
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual “gifts”, but rather that ye may prophesy.

14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual “gifts”, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

First …get rid of the word ➡ gifts ⬅ in verses 1 and 14. It was added by translators there is no corresponding Greek word for that.

The word “spiritual” in verse 1 is the Greek word (pneumatikos) meaning “that which belongs to, is determined by, influenced by, or proceeds from the spirit” (spiritual matters). Tongues, interpretation, and prophecy are a manifestation of the spirit, they are not gifts…. they are an evidence of the gift of holy spirit that you were given at the new birth. (For a more detailed explanation see this site → Tongues)

14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

To “pray that he may interpret” is not pray for interpretation, but rather pray that you believe to interpret. You are already equipped with the gift of holy spirit …..which means you can operate any and all of the 9 manifestation, but if you don’t believe you can, …….pray to God that you have the confidence to accept what he has already made available to you.

Note also that verse 13 states except he interpret…. not someone else. We have to follow grammatical structure, which applies to both Greek and English. When “he” applies to the person speaking we cannot change the rules of application to suite our beliefs. In order for this to reference a totally different person, it would have to read, in the third person, they …the same applies in verse 14:5 also.

14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course (order) and let one (heis) interpret.

The Greek text employs the word heis for → one (not hen)….. meaning “the one in the samenot someone else.
(Other examples of “heis” are in Luke12:52; Romans3:30)

14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

The word no in verse 28 is the Greek word , which is a conditional negation, depending on feeling, as opposed to the Greek word ou which would be a full and direct negation not depending on any condition, expressed or implied; based on fact.

ou is objective is subjective. If we were talking about someone else, (an interpreter not being there to interpret the tongues,) the word no would have to be ou, but it is not. The word for no in this verse is mē, and it referring to the person who may lack the will, or desire to interpret.

The How

If you already speak in tongues …you are there. You know that you are not thinking about what you are saying…. you are the one doing the speaking, but holy spirit is giving the utterance. What you speak is Gods business ….but that you speak is your business.

Just as you make the decision to speak in tongues you make the decision to interpret afterwards ….the words will be there, God will see to it….and the same with prophecy. You make the decision to prophecy and the words will be there ….and just like tongues ….you don’t think about what you are saying…..just speak….

Following is something I wrote for speaking in tongues…. but same principles apply for interpretation and prophecy.

How to speak in tongues ……..Interpretation and prophecy

Being born again you have that gift of holy spirit within you. It is now up to you to operate that manifestation.

Understand first that you are the one doing the speaking…….God is not going to move your lips, or take control of your vocal cords to make you speak ……our God does not possess or control people…..ever! That includes being slain in the spirit, running around, falling down and blurting out tongues uncontrollably ….the tongues “could” be genuine….the actions are from a different source. 1 Cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

You, by the freedom of your own will make the decision to speak in tongues, which involves all the mechanics you would use as if you were speaking your native language. By this I mean…. you move your lips, your throat, your tongue, you do the speaking, God will give the utterance.

You start and you stop at will…. Again…. it is your job that you speak, but what you speak is Gods job.

In other words, at the point you decide to speak in tongues, it is you who will do the speaking …God is not forcing your lips open, and not making words come out. This is not something you pre-formulate in your mind, the only thing you do with your mind is make the decision you’re going to speak in tongues; at which point you open your mouth and begin to speak….. as I will indicate below

Many years ago when I first spoke in tongues …..I had never heard of it… never heard it done ….I had no idea, clue, or preconceived thought as to what it was….in the vernacular…. I was clueless....
I was reading a book that said you could speak this language that God gave us ….Just thank God for it ….open your mouth and start speaking….so I did. I was barely a Christian, and I don’t think I had even read any of the Bible yet…. But, it was one of the most incredible moments in my life. My tongues have not changed, I still speak the same language (of men or of angels) that I spoke that night.

Sometimes mind pictures are helpful in understanding. The following is kind of a cross between an analogy and an allegory ….we will call a Anagory (totally made up word)

Picture a hose coming down from heaven. When you become a Christian you get this hose that is attached to your mouth (it’s a spiritual hose you can’t see it) God has opened up the spigot in heaven and your mouth acts as the trigger sprayer. Inside that hose is not water, but tongues…(interpretation and prophecy) and when you speak you are speaking the wonderful works of God. The spigot is open and the words are right there ready to flow, you control the sprayer to let those words out; you start, and stop at will, you are in control.

Remember this is only an analogy to help you develop a mind picture …..you don’t really get a hose ……you can get that at the hardware store for about 20.00 and a cheap trigger sprayer for $8.00…………… but manifesting tongues, interpretation and prophecy ……………priceless!

You can speak aloud or to yourself, and you can sing in tongues in the same manner.
One of the cool things is ….that you can speak in tongues (silently) while you’re talking to someone or speak in tongues while praying for people or situations, because you are not using your mind…. it’s in spirit action; you are not using your mind to think what your saying.

Other than trying to think about what you’re saying…. the fear of failure, or of inadequacy, is probably the two things that hold any believer back from manifesting the greatness of what God has made available.

First: God doesn’t make failures, and this is available to every born again believer. I have never seen anybody fail at speaking in tongues and I have guided hundreds into manifesting. I have seen hesitancy when people think about the first word that enters their thought …….you do not think about the words, just speak.

Secondly: you have the righteousness of God, which totally eliminates any possible inadequacy you might feel…..( 2Co 5:21)

One more thing you might be thinking ..is it really that simple…..yes, it is that simple, that’s how God designed it ……………… don’t try to complicate it with your mind.

And please… don’t critique your tongues as to what it sounds like; if it sounds repetitious or the guttural sounds of an African tribe… don’t worry …. REMEMBER …(and I may have mentioned this before)

What you speak is GODS business….. but that you speak…. is your business.

Ok down to brass tacks …….How?

Find you’re yourself a quiet place to sit …..close your eyes to free yourself from distractions

When Jesus gave instructions to his apostles he told them to breath in…(of coarse you may want to consider exhaling also). So breath in, breath out, normal breaths, through your mouth for a few seconds …….{this is not a hyperventilation thing}

Now pray…. something to this effect…or whatever works for you.

Heavenly Father I now receive the holy spirit into manifestation, the power from on high which you made available through your son Jesus Christ. I thank you that I can now speak the wonderful works of God ……………..

Now open your mouth and begin to speak ….don’t think about what your saying ..just speak …God will have the words there. Don’t wait for a sentence, it doesn’t come in sentences, when you speak one word, the next one will be there….. if you speak one word, you can speak a thousand….just keep going….. Remember you can start and stop at will….. you are in control. As you practice tongues in your private prayer life it will begin to flow for you as easily as your native tongue.

(You don’t need to pray every time you speak …this is just to get you started.)

When you speak in tongues with the intention of interpretation ….once you stop tongues you immediately begin to interpret …which will be about the length of what you were speaking with tongues.

When giving a word of Prophecy it can be as short as a sentence… or several sentences. You decide when to start … the stopping will be a natural stopping point.

One more thing: Tongues is for your private prayer life unless interpreted within the group setting, fellowship, or meeting.

You can speak and sing in tongues anytime silently.... and out loud when you are alone.

If you want to practice your interpretation and prophecy to become confident, I would suggest getting with another person or more…and practice….although you can do it by yourself….God knows what you are doing.

So what do you think Paul really meant when he said in 1 Cor 12

29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Is Paul asking such question rhetorically, where the implied answer he wants us to say is "No"?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" Is referring to the gifts of tongues with interpretation which is often used in church gatherings and not all believers there would be used with that gift at the same time. So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit. I Cor 12-14.

Tongues/His Spirit languages are available to every believer because tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) With the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6) Also, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;..." Mark 16:17

• Agree
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" Is referring to the gifts of tongues with interpretation which is often used in church gatherings and not all believers there would be used with that gift at the same time. So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit. I Cor 12-14.

Tongues/His Spirit languages are available to every believer because tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) With the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6) Also, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;..." Mark 16:17

Have all the gifts of healing?
do all speak with tongues?
do all interpret?

I see, so even when it is 3 separate sentences separated by a question mark for each, you combine the last 2, but you feel its alright to separate the first from them?

It is interesting that you used Mark 16:17. Because by that verse, shouldn't the first, the gift of healing, also be available to every believer too as well?
"they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

But why Paul imply in the verse, 1 Cor 12:30, that not all will have the gifts of healing, and you are fine with that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
This is not true. A word can bring forthtelling, reproof or specific individual instruction AND bring edification, exhortation and comfort at the same time. They are not advisarial principles.

From the gift ministry of a prophet….Yes.

But not the manifestation of prophecy in a group setting.

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
It could happen either way, not one or the other.

Not if the Word is correct.

If the situation arose where someone spoke and tongues and someone supposedly interpreted …it would be either through the senses or they would be giving a word of prophecy.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From the gift ministry of a prophet….Yes.

But not the manifestation of prophecy in a group setting.

Not if the Word is correct.

If the situation arose where someone spoke and tongues and someone supposedly interpreted …it would be either through the senses or they would be giving a word of prophecy.
Sorry but this is wrong on both counts and I don't like the idea of people reading this and unnecessary limiting how God can operate.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Could you post the Scripture that says the believer who speaks in tongues for interpretation is always the one God gives the interpretation? Because ...

The tongues for interpretation should only be spoken a maximum of 3 times though "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." There will be times it won't be interpreted. One reason there won't be an interpretation every time is some believers who are just beginning to be used in His spiritual gifts sometimes have to learn (equipping the saints) . Some think if there's no interpretation, there was an error on part of the believer who gave the message for interpretation but not according to these Scriptures.

Tongues for interpretation are different than prayer tongues -but both edifies believers "And to another the gift of speaking different kinds of tongues." I Cor 12

Yes that question mark causes confusion. (I Cor 12:30) One way to consider it, is to look at other Scriptures that says all believers can speak in tongues. (1) Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) (2) "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;..." Mark 16:17 (3) Additionally, in Scripture, the groups that received tongues, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Could you post the Scripture that says the believer who speaks in tongues for interpretation is always the one God gives the interpretation? Because ...

The tongues for interpretation should only be spoken a maximum of 3 times though "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." There will be times it won't be interpreted. One reason there won't be an interpretation every time is some believers who are just beginning to be used in His spiritual gifts sometimes have to learn (equipping the saints) . Some think if there's no interpretation, there was an error on part of the believer who gave the message for interpretation but not according to these Scriptures.

Tongues for interpretation are different than prayer tongues -but both edifies believers "And to another the gift of speaking different kinds of tongues." I Cor 12

Yes that question mark causes confusion. (I Cor 12:30) One way to consider it, is to look at other Scriptures that says all believers can speak in tongues. (1) Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) (2) "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;..." Mark 16:17 (3) Additionally, in Scripture, the groups that received tongues, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6)

I know the OP was long (sorry…. I don’t like long posts either) but about 1/16th of the way down there is a short line _____________________ At which point I did go through the few scripture addressing your question ➡ “Could you post the Scripture that says the believer who speaks in tongues for interpretation is always the one God gives the interpretation”.
I think that pretty much covers the scripture where the understanding has been muddied.

There will be times it won't be interpreted. One reason there won't be an interpretation every time is some believers who are just beginning to be used in His spiritual gifts sometimes have to learn (equipping the saints) . Some think if there's no interpretation, there was an error on part of the believer who gave the message for interpretation but not according to these Scriptures.

I agree …At the very end of the OP I do encourage people to practice with other believers if possibly. When I first started out there was several of us who would get together and practice…. just to alleviate any anxiety.

That may be true …. I just don’t know. I have heard that before... But for myself, the tongues I speak when in the group setting with interpretation, are the same as in my private life.
The word different (divers) was added by translators.

*And I think the mockers in the temple on Pentecost were just unbelieving believers …of course we don’t know if later they were a part of Acts 2:37 &38

2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
So what do you think Paul really meant when he said in 1 Cor 12

29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Is Paul asking such question rhetorically, where the implied answer he wants us to say is "No"?

It may be implied, but not desired so it seems rhetorical to a degree… We know some people will excel at many things where as others not so much. Your question lines up with 1 Cor 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Exactly.

A person can give a personal message of encouragement to a specific individual, but it will be in the corporate setting where everyone can judge it, and the message will only confirm what revelation The Holy Spirit already gave the person spoken to normally the week prior. It only confirms and encourages a believer.

Too many people have watched others operating their gifts wrongfully and they think it is the norm instead of disciplining themselves to follow what scripture actually says.

There's no hard rule on that, even if we get away from old translations.

It's nice to see the same person being used to interpret the corporate tongues message (which shows that they have pursued the operation of that gift also), but normally The Holy Spirit will have someone else give the interpretation in the assembly. We can't force it into a hard rule.

The word “spiritual” in verse 1 is the Greek word (pneumatikos) meaning “that which belongs to, is determined by, influenced by, or proceeds from the spirit” (spiritual matters). Tongues, interpretation, and prophecy are a manifestation of the spirit, they are not gifts…. they are an evidence of the gift of holy spirit that you were given at the new birth.

You were doing so well,....

Yes, we are sealed with The Holy Spirit when we are reborn, and have His fruits and the new nature, but it is the filling of The Holy Spirit afterwards that brings in the gifts. "Be ye filled,.."

The best English translation would be "spirituals" but gifts is more than acceptable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

That may be true …. I just don’t know. I have heard that before... But for myself, the tongues I speak when in the group setting with interpretation, are the same as in my private life.
The word different (divers) was added by translators.

The corporate tongue is different because it is The Holy Spirit uttering the message through you instead of you operating your gift by your human spirit. It is where you will see the greatest edification happen with the gift.

There is the personal use of a gift (human spirit), and there is the corporate ministry of a gift (Holy Spirit), two separate uses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may be implied, but not desired so it seems rhetorical to a degree… We know some people will excel at many things where as others not so much. Your question lines up with 1 Cor 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

So you are saying that despite that verse, you believe everyone will have the gift of speaking in tongues?

Alright then.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
So you are saying that despite that verse, you believe everyone will have the gift of speaking in tongues?

Alright then.

Kind of ….

What I am saying is… it is available to everyone who is born again of Gods spirit….that is the gift. With the gift of holy spirit that we have been given, we have the ability to operate any or all of the 9 manifestation or operations of the spirit ….But as you brought up… not everyone will…. either by choice or by desire or lack thereof.

The word manifestation (1Co 12:7) is in the singular like a clump of grapes….actually a Swiss army knife might be a good illustration. The knife is the gift …scissors, screwdriver, can opener, saw, corkscrew, nail file, pliers, large blade and small blade are the manifestation or operations of the knife. Once someone has the knife (the gift) they can operate any or all of the things that came with it.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kind of ….

What I am saying is… it is available to everyone who is born again of Gods spirit….that is the gift. With the gift of holy spirit that we have been given, we have the ability to operate any or all of the 9 manifestation or operations of the spirit ….But as you brought up… not everyone will…. either by choice or by desire or lack thereof.

The word manifestation (1Co 12:7) is in the singular like a clump of grapes….actually a Swiss army knife might be a good illustration. The knife is the gift …scissors, screwdriver, can opener, saw, corkscrew, nail file, pliers, large blade and small blade are the manifestation or operations of the knife. Once someone has the knife (the gift) they can operate any or all of the things that came with it.

But why do you think that only applies for tongue speaking?

Why not believe too that everyone will have the gift of healing?

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
But why do you think that only applies for tongue speaking?

Why not believe too that everyone will have the gift of healing?

I didn’t mean to give you that impression.

I absolutely believe that all of the manifestation of the spirit are available, including gifts of healing …so named because every healing is a gift, but it is still a manifestation of the spirit.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t mean to give you that impression.

I absolutely believe that all of the manifestation of the spirit are available, including gifts of healing …so named because every healing is a gift, but it is still a manifestation of the spirit.

Alright, thanks for clarifying what you believe in. I respect that.

Upvote 0