Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Popularized in the 1930s, brunch had become a weekend “national habit” for many American families by the 1950s. With the post-war economic boom in full swing and pre-packaged foods making cooking easier than ever, leisurely weekend brunches hosted at home were popular in the ‘50s (though going out for brunch was becoming trendy as well).

Just what did hosting a brunch entail in the 1950s? We dug into the historical papers on Newspapers.com™ to find out. Read on for our “guide” to 1950s brunch—complete with tips and recipes!

24 Apr 1958, Thu The Miami Herald (Miami, Florida)Newspapers.com

Brunch Basics

Newspapers from the 1950s are full of advice for planning a bunch.

What time should it start? From the 1954 Miami Herald we learn, “The brunch hour is hybrid, later than breakfast—11 a.m. or after—but earlier than lunch.”

Where should you serve the meal? The Miami Herald (1958) once again has the answer: “Serve brunch at the most pleasant place around the house—porch, patio or around the pool.” No patio? “Then buffet style in the dining room will serve just as well,” wrote the Tucson Citizen (1957).

One of the most common pieces of advice was to keep brunch casual and low-stress—for the hosts as well as the guests! The St. Louis-Post Dispatch in 1958 remarked, “Remember that the rule against rushing applies to the hostess too, so in planning both menu and service be guided by the motto, ‘Keep it simple.’ […] Colorful paper plates and napkins fit right into the casual air of the occasion; the menu should be one that is easy to manage. And don’t scorn the use of such convenience foods as canned or frozen juices, package mixes for hot breads, or brown-and-serve rolls.”

How to Decorate the Table

Continued below.
How to Host a 1950s Brunch - The official blog of Newspapers.com

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟564,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Navy turned me off to brunch. That was the first meal of the day on Sundays. Normally, breakfast was served from 6-8. So brunch on Sunday was hard and many of us were hangry by the time the serving lines opened (10:30??? I don't recall exactly).

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I like those overnight recipes that I ran across. Farm Journal cookbooks had "Overnight Crunch Coffee Cake" and one time I found an overnight French toast online. These days I'm avoiding anything with sugar.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like those overnight recipes that I ran across. Farm Journal cookbooks had "Overnight Crunch Coffee Cake" and one time I found an overnight French toast online. These days I'm avoiding anything with sugar.
It’s really hard to avoid foods that turn into sugar in the body it seems.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married