Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't be poor yourself. Do the things that lift or keep you out of poverty. Secure your education, take care of your health, obey the law, don't have pre-marital sex, don't do drugs, maintain your dwelling place, dress for success. This will greatly contribute to your success and you will be an example for others. By doing this you will also make more resources available for the poor.

"To change the world, change yourself."

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok I think I get you. It then means, no unwanted expenses from drugs, child support and the like.

Yes. Some of those behaviors are very expensive.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't be poor yourself. Do the things that lift or keep you out of poverty. Secure your education, take care of your health, obey the law, don't have pre-marital sex, don't do drugs, maintain your dwelling place, dress for success. This will greatly contribute to your success and you will be an example for others. By doing this you will also make more resources available for the poor.

In short live a life as Christianity says.

But if one really wants to help the poor, then the churches in a town or district have to co-ordinate there efforts so they don't waste efforts and resources, but also so they can maximize there efforts in providing education and help for those seeking retraining or education or just help applying for work.
As well as being able to provide help dealing with debts, and tackling addictions.

This all needs organisation and resources.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

if possible, don't go into debt. that is why i only give what i can afford to give. if giving uts me into debt, i either have to stop or maybe cut some unneccessary expenses out of my life so i can give

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if possible, don't go into debt. that is why i only give what i can afford to give. if giving uts me into debt, i either have to stop or maybe cut some unneccessary expenses out of my life so i can give

It doesn't help if you go into debt to help another out of debt. That's a zero-sum game. The most important person in your life is...you. Take care of that guy.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't help if you go into debt to help another out of debt. That's a zero-sum game. The most important person in your life is...you. Take care of that guy.

amen. Jesus said love your neighbour AS yourself. so you treat them the same. not like youa ren;'t as worthy. there is a scripture which does say honour one another better than yourself and i think that does apply in many things. i am not sure it applies to self care though.
self care is not selfish.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In short live a life as Christianity says.

But if one really wants to help the poor, then the churches in a town or district have to co-ordinate there efforts so they don't waste efforts and resources, but also so they can maximize there efforts in providing education and help for those seeking retraining or education or just help applying for work.
As well as being able to provide help dealing with debts, and tackling addictions.

This all needs organisation and resources.

That would be helpful as well.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
amen. Jesus said love your neighbour AS yourself. so you treat them the same. not like youa ren;'t as worthy. there is a scripture which does say honour one another better than yourself and i think that does apply in many things. i am not sure it applies to self care though.
self care is not selfish.

You are the ox that treads out the grain, so you get to eat freely of the grain that you provide, before feeding others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sadly, statistically some people will always fall short. Genetically some are more prone to addiction than others, some are less intelligent and education isn't a practical goal for them.

I do think we need to find some way to raise the value of minimum wage jobs. Someone working full time should be able to make enough to support themselves. As far as people who don't practice protection and have too many kids, I think in order for them to get governmental assistance they have to agree to being sterilized.

I often wrestle with what my politics are, but I think it is important to find a balance between compassion and being stern and putting your foot down. Too many people lean too far on one side or the other.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Most important thing:

Trust in Jesus

• Winner
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As far as people who don't practice protection and have too many kids, I think in order for them to get governmental assistance they have to agree to being sterilized.

I agree but only if it's reversible.

• Friendly
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0