• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to Help Some Anxious Friends

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, all. I've been blessed enough to have never suffered from anxiety, and the depression and schizophrenia I used to have have since been lifted by Christ. Currently, I'm a freshman psych major, possibly a counselor or social worker in the future, but for now just looking to help some friends.
What all methods have you heard of/experienced that have helped anxiety? Equally important, what doesn't work or makes it worse?
Also, I'm not sure how Christian some of them are, so I'd like a little more than Biblical advice for them. Conversion, I'm sure, would be a huge remedy (it was for me), but one of them is graduating at the end of the semester, and doesn't like me too much anyway, so I don't know how feasible that would be.
Hopefully this isn't too mixed up, I'm still recovering from a sickness, so act like this is a concise post & answer accordingly, please.

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
but for now just looking to help some friends.
What all methods have you heard of/experienced that have helped anxiety? Equally important, what doesn't work or makes it worse?

Alex, Just my subjective experience & opinion.. Pray for anxious friends. And if possible, help them engage in exercise. Jog with 'em, ride a bike, take trips to the gym together, walk around the mall.. Physical activity helps release anxiety.

And help them avoid pessimism & fatalism about their situation(s).. take care.

Reactions: Nettle
Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all. I've been blessed enough to have never suffered from anxiety, and the depression and schizophrenia I used to have have since been lifted by Christ. Currently, I'm a freshman psych major, possibly a counselor or social worker in the future, but for now just looking to help some friends.
Also, I'm not sure how Christian some of them are, so I'd like a little more than Biblical advice for them. Conversion, I'm sure, would be a huge remedy (it was for me), but one of them is graduating at the end of the semester, and doesn't like me too much anyway, so I don't know how feasible that would be.
Hopefully this isn't too mixed up, I'm still recovering from a sickness, so act like this is a concise post & answer accordingly, please.
Agreed, exercise is great. Also, doing things for others instead of dwelling on your own anxiety . What doesn't help is being told how you ought to be able to cope because God strengthens you- adds a layer of guilt if you can't! I take the lowest dose of medication I can, and have accepted that that is for life as I relapse if I stop. Medication is not failure. Listening helps, and kindness and encouragement

Upvote 0