Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How to be Spiritual

God’s goal for believers is to bring each one to the point of being like Christ. God expects us always to move in that direction and expects believers to grow continually toward the point of matching the standards of Christ.
1 Th. 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ

It is vital that we decide what God does for us in associating us with Christ; our “standing” and what we do in service and growth toward everyday likeness to Christ that is visible in our lives; our “state”

One of the key elements in sanctification is to achieve it spirituality. The spiritual person is able to penetrate into spiritual issues and come up with the right answers.
1 Corinthians 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man

We can identify sin and righteousness when it shows up in life, while other the non-mature are puzzled at our insight. We have the spiritual sense to do this because we has grown to be like Christ that we started to think like Him.

Wrong ideas of spirituality include: Getting more of the Holy Spirit; attempting to get rid of the sin nature on our own; slow-moving to sinless perfection; practice the gifts without the anointing; following some formula, like to fast and pray to become spiritual.

A person cannot simply say, “I want to be spiritual”, and expect it to happen. There are no shortcuts to spirituality, although God promises it if we are earnest and get right at the task. These things help us to be spiritual.

Give God the praise and worship of our heart.
John 4:22 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

A correct relation to the Holy Spirit;
Romans 5:4 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Obedience to Scripture and the revealed will of God,
Hebrews 5:8-9 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

We need perseverance,
Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Separation from sin, and becoming more and more like Jesus Christ Himself.
Certainly, the believer must pay close attention to sin in his life, it will spoil the fellowship with God, confessing it as it occurs and obtaining forgiveness
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We will have to exercise our spiritual gift.
1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

We have to be careful with our stewardship of what God has trust to us with hour time, body, gifts, and money.
1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Make prayer a significant component of our life, taking advantage of the privilege of taking our (and others) needs and concerns to God through the access Jesus Christ has provided.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

We will do everything to shape our life so that generous rewards will await us in the presence of our Savior.
1 Pet. 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

After salvation the emphasis is on obedience, doing the will of God and rejecting impulses of the flesh.

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I love this post on growth. Really like the emphasis on "Exercise"!
The way we grow in Physical Health is through proper nutrition and exercise.

It is exactly the same Spiritually. Through the nutrition of God's Word and the exercise of our Spiritual Gifts and the practice of His Word.

Beautifully said.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I have tried to resist this, but I simply cannot. I MUST pay you a compliment.

I could be depressed and in the pits, but if I click on and see your avatar and a reply like this, I can only smile, and chuckle.
Your use of the English language is so inocent and pure, and your words are always positive.

What a joy and pleasure you are to all in these forums. God bless you as you serve Him through your service to others.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
A person cannot simply say, “I want to be spiritual”, and expect it to happen. There are no shortcuts to spirituality, although God promises it if we are earnest and get right at the task. These things help us to be spiritual.

Very interesting! Problem is, "who wants to be spiritual?" Christians seem more interested in games than Spirituality!

Upvote 0

altya

Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We are all obligated to grow spiritually whether we like it or not. Everything that is not growing dies and we don’t want that.
Have you ever seen a baby that refuse to grow? Or a teenager that feels that the measure of growth they had is enough. We are born to grow and it is a natural process so is spiritual growing. Jesus is the Author and Finisher of our faith. He is also our Advocate that is pleading our case in heaven.

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums