How to go about choosing a patron Saint (Adult)

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you're choosing a role model, but it's more than that, then be aware of the stories of the saints, and prayerfully consider while you do other things.

In the past, I've received answers from God when I was doing something entirely unrelated to the question I asked an answer for.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm just not sure how I should be going about this. So far, I'm researching different saints looking for anyone who sticks out to me/I feel a connection to. Is that all? Or is/should there be more to it than that?

this is an “ask your priest” question.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I chose "Joseph" as my chrismation name as this was my middle name and baptismal saint name my mom gave me in the Catholic Church. St. Joseph the Betrothed has always been my saint, and I wanted the continuity.

However, if you have no such connection, I would suggest reading Scripture, the Fathers, and through the daily lives of the saints in the lectionary and when you read about a saint who speaks to you and you feel, after prayer, is a saint whose intercession you would feel would be impactful and a lifelong guardian, I would choose him.

If you're choosing a role model, but it's more than that, then be aware of the stories of the saints, and prayerfully consider while you do other things.

In the past, I've received answers from God when I was doing something entirely unrelated to the question I asked an answer for.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I chose "Joseph" as my chrismation name as this was my middle name and baptismal saint name my mom gave me in the Catholic Church. St. Joseph the Betrothed has always been my saint, and I wanted the continuity.

However, if you have no such connection, I would suggest reading Scripture, the Fathers, and through the daily lives of the saints in the lectionary and when you read about a saint who speaks to you and you feel, after prayer, is a saint whose intercession you would feel would be impactful and a lifelong guardian, I would choose him.

that is the most common thing I have heard for those who already bear a saint’s name, that the name is kept unless there is a connection to another saint.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is what my priest told me as well. I'm one who doesn't originally bear a Saint's name (first or middle), and so I was told to check the Synaxarion for my birthday, and exactly what you mentioned with reading the Holy Scriptures, the Church Fathers, etc. I'll say they have a way of "finding" you as odd as that may sound. I ended up finding mine through a podcast, and then I read some of his writings, and knew it was a fit.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

That helps, I guess I could take stories in the bible that mirror recurring circumstances. Wasn't sure how to think about it, but what you said revealed I already was thinking about it.

Thanks.

I have one name, the second name (which is first) isn't clear yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes it helps to think of what got you to this point and the name might reveal itself. For example, if reading the works of St. John Chrysostom was the first thing that opened your eyes to Orthodoxy, he might be a great saint to choose! If you read a particular book that had many motivational passages from, say, St. Seraphim of Sarov, he might be your go-to chrismation name. Sometimes it was the Epistles of St. Paul that got you here, so you can go with Paul. And sometimes it was none of those things, but when you were at church you heard from parishioners about St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco, and his life was so inspiring to you that you choose him? Heck, sometimes it might be a saint from your area, like if you lived by Jackson, CA, you might have chosen St. Sebastian of Jackson as your guide in intercession.

I think there are many ways to choose these names. Praying about it is the first and foremost best approach, as with anything in life. If it isn't clear, talk to your priest like Father Matt suggested.

If I had not been given the wonderful name of Joseph (which I love!), I might've chosen "Paul" since I have walked in his footsteps on my trips through the Mediterranean. I've gone to Corinth, Athens, and Caesarea, etc. and will be going to Ephesus this summer. I've walked and stood where Paul preached, St. Titus also, and they are special to me.

But keep in mind, just because you don't choose a saint for your name doesn't mean you can't still invoke them in intercessory prayer constantly. I pray to St. John of Shanghai, the Theotokos, St. Paul, St. Veronica, many saints all the time!

That helps, I guess I could take stories in the bible that mirror recurring circumstances. Wasn't sure how to think about it, but what you said revealed I already was thinking about it.

Thanks.

I have one name, the second name (which is first) isn't clear yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums