Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's "Bishop's Lenten Appeal" time in parishes across the country, which means your Sunday Mass homily gets hijacked by the chancery in order to shake down Catholics for money.

There's no doubt that ordinary Catholics are fed up with the corrupt hierarchy of bishops. Donations to their annual "Lenten appeals" are plummeting. People no longer trust the bishops not to use the money on expensive lawyers and public relations consultants, or on compensating victims of homoclerical sexual abuse, or to create "slush funds" like Uncle Ted McCarrick and Bp. Michael Bransfield had. For all ordinary Catholics know, a contribution to their bishop might end up in a white envelope payola scheme or in a suitcase bound for Vatican bribes and hush money.​

How to Donate Money to the Church Without Accidentally Giving to Bishops

Reactions: Michie

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's "Bishop's Lenten Appeal" time in parishes across the country, which means your Sunday Mass homily gets hijacked by the chancery in order to shake down Catholics for money.

There's no doubt that ordinary Catholics are fed up with the corrupt hierarchy of bishops. Donations to their annual "Lenten appeals" are plummeting. People no longer trust the bishops not to use the money on expensive lawyers and public relations consultants, or on compensating victims of homoclerical sexual abuse, or to create "slush funds" like Uncle Ted McCarrick and Bp. Michael Bransfield had. For all ordinary Catholics know, a contribution to their bishop might end up in a white envelope payola scheme or in a suitcase bound for Vatican bribes and hush money.​

How to Donate Money to the Church Without Accidentally Giving to Bishops
I’m not giving to Peter’s Pence this year. I can do or give to different causes this year without feeling uncomfortable about it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I’m not giving to Peter’s Pence this year. I can do or give to different causes this year without feeling uncomfortable about it.

I liked the idea in the article of giving to an apostolic society, I think I might give to the FSSP or something. I don't know...

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tbh, I haven't been to Mass in a long time - all of my local parishes are either involved with past abuse cases (some in the parish homes right next to the church) or are mostly another nationality that haven't been super welcoming. I've stopped giving to the bishop appeal as well and instead do choose to give to other Catholic and non-Catholic organizations that do good around the world and in my local community.

Upvote 0