DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To go a little further the bible is very clear about some sins if not repented from will send you to hell very fast. What does repentance mean, the bet definition I have herd is to STOP sinning, a lot of people think it is confession and that is wrong. So if we are living a life style of the things listed we can from the word of GOd be very worried that we are not saved and born again. Born again people are not going to be heading to the bar for drinks with the boys, or sitting around talking dirty jokes, or cheating on the wives, or for that matter even imaging things of sexual desires.

NOw from my experience You may get born again and struggle in some of these sins just like others have said in this thread, but after a certain amount of time if you have not conquered the sin can you claim to be born again???? I think according to the scripture below if after so many years you have not allowed Jesus to set you free from these sins, I would be very concerned for your salvation.

1. Being a drunk
2. Sexually in-moral
3. Drug abuse
4. Homosexuality
5. Greed
6. Idoltry
7. Drug abuse

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Davem, the information about you are sharing is correct. Though when a person commits these sins what happens is their salvation is still validated based on the belief in the Lord Jesus Christ, if they believe in their heart.

Though if they keep going back because of the weakness of the flesh, it would not be good to say well their salvation is invalidated however we could say their measure of faith would be different to someone else, who might not struggle with these types of sins.

If anything they quench the spirit with-in them that is why it mentions that they do not inherit the kingdom of God, in my view there this would mean they are quench the spirit because of pleasing the flesh, instead of the spirit.

Some people might need real help in recovery processes also, who knows only God knows the heart.

Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does one get saved by simply responding to a alter call at a church?? or saying a prayer ????
It takes coming under conviction of one's sin and the Judgment to come then looking to Christ Jesus through His death and resurrection to save.

Reactions: DaveM
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what if you do not obey him?

Then you are moving from being saved onto your Christian walk. The title is 'How to get saved' Not, how do I continue in my Christian walk? So two different questions.

No one is perfect, only God is perfect.
If someone believes they no longer sin, ever, then they are lying to themselves.
The difference between someone who is born again and someone who is not, is the Christian hates their sin, acknowledges their sin, repents of their sin and struggles with their sin. They should also be seeing growth and an overcoming of sin, but that doesn't mean they will become perfect while in this corrupted body of flesh nor does it mean there won't be thorny areas.

Even Paul struggled with sin.
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If someone believes they no longer sin, ever, then they are lying to themselves.

there are plenty of people who have conquered there knowing sin in there life. Intentional sin has no place in a born again life. We will sin and not do it intentionally because we are still in the flesh, but if someone is intentionally sinning after 20 years of claiming to be born again I would be concerned

1 John 5:18
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't get saved when you want, but when God decide.

That could be bad advise in some way, because we can't know when he would want to save, we need to take action as soon as we hear of Jesus (if possible).

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus tells us FEW are saved because the way is hard and the gate is narrow

Matthew 7:13-14
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Yes, I agree, the path to eternal life is narrow. To me it is not the same as being saved. To me saved means sins are forgiven. However, that is only the beginning of the path. After forgiveness, person must be righteous to have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there are plenty of people who have conquered there knowing sin in there life. Intentional sin has no place in a born again life. We will sin and not do it intentionally because we are still in the flesh, but if someone is intentionally sinning after 20 years of claiming to be born again I would be concerned

1 John 5:18
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

I didn't mention or make any distinction between intentional or unintentional sin. Sin is sin and the dividing line between what is intentional or unintentional can depend on individual thought because the person has to recognize their own sin as being sinful.

It's a slippery slope to say "I never intentionally sin" because that in itself can become a source of pride -which is itself a sin! It could also mean they are simply blind to their own failings.

Of course some things are obvious, but most times things are not so black and white and even over large topics which should be black and white, Christians have differing opinion. Just check out abortion debate on here. To me that is a no brainer, but apparently not!

If Paul, a great man of God, says that he struggled with sin then I think people who make such statements as never struggling with sin are fooling themselves.

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a slippery slope to say "I never intentionally sin" because that in itself can become a source of pride -which is itself a sin! It could also mean they are simply blind to their own failings.

or could be used as a way to encourage others who think they can not conquer sin that enslaves them. People dont talk about sin enough, sin is why people go to hell, Jesus came to set us free from the enslavement of sin, Jesus said sin no more, did he tell us to do something we were not capable of doing?? When a person is enslaved to sin and they are freed from it they should shout on the top of there lungs and let the world know it is possible through Jesus !!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
act 2:37...............Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

repent..baby's cant !
baptism Greek word means dip submerge immerse etc symbol of burial
ask God for /receive the Holy Spirit !!!!!

you know because as Jesus said to warn his disciples..

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

get them all when you receive..GODS WAY !!!!!

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

As with any verse you have to check what other verses say, not pluck it out of context.
Mark 16:16 does not mean only those who believe and are baptized will be saved, that is a bad translation. Because if it's belief + baptism, then death bed conversions would not be possible, but they are possible.

The Bible is clear that we are saved by faith alone.
From the Old to New Testament people have been saved without being baptized. Every believer in the Old Testament ( Abraham, Jacob, David) was saved but not baptized. The thief on the cross was saved but not baptized. Cornelius was saved before he was baptized.

The Scriptures tells us that we have eternal life the moment we believe.
John 5:24

24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
Belief always comes before being baptized.

Baptism is an act of obedience, a public display of faith and as such requires another person to be present. Again if this was a requirement for heaven then it is making salvation: Faith+ physical act + other person available. Our faith must rest in Christ alone.

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If Paul, a great man of God, says that he struggled with sin then I think people who make such statements as never struggling with sin are fooling themselves.

this is great reminder for us, how even when we are set free from enslavement of sin we can still struggle with it, does not mean we have to give in, but if we do we a advocate for us.

I was reading Romans this morning and Paul called himself a wretched man, I though of your reply :).. Compared to Gods Holly standard we are all wretched men, I do need to remember that, thanks for the reminder :)

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this is great reminder for us, how even when we are set free from enslavement of sin we can still struggle with it, does not mean we have to give in, but if we do we a advocate for us.

I was reading Romans this morning and Paul called himself a wretched man, I though of your reply :).. Compared to Gods Holly standard we are all wretched men, I do need to remember that, thanks for the reminder :)

I think we walk a line.
On the other hand we don't want to be walking around full of pride with our noses in the air thinking we are 'more Holier than thou' To use a phrase sometimes slung at Christians.
That doesn't help ourselves or others. But we should also not constantly thinking of ourselves as being completely unworthy, beating ourselves up with no self esteem, because we are God's children.
1 John 3

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of a God!
Which should be celebrated! What a wonderful blessing.

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does one get saved by simply responding to a alter call at a church?? or saying a prayer ????
You don't "get" saved. God choose an elect people before the foundation of the world, Eph 1. He gave them to Jesus to die for them to cleanse them from all of their sins and save them to an eternal home in heaven. That is how God saves you by his grace and mercy.

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Getting saved is kind of a poor way to put what God is offering the sinner. One reason why because being saved in the Bible can carry different meanings.

But what you are asking is, i believe, how does a person receive Gods free gift of Eternal Life.
To receive Gods free gift of Eternal Life, believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah (only/unique begotten son of God) from the prophecies of The Tanakh and Trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal life. that is it if a person does that they are now a child of God, born again never to lose their free gift of Gods Eternal Life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

The Gospel of John testifies to this and was the reason The Gospel of John was written. To tell people how to have life (eternal)

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
We are told in the scriptures how to live that good and abundant life as we sojourn here on earth, and that is by following God's commandments, doing good works, believing, repenting, accepting Jesus, praying, etc, but these things are done by those that have been born again, and already have eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thats a tricky question. I believe that being saved is referring to a current status not a one time event. But then it also depends on what perspective your viewing salvation from. I tend to view salvation from man’s perspective rather than from God’s perspective because only He knows the outcome. So if I see that a person is abiding in Christ I would say he is saved based on his current status. That person could later change and turn to a sinful way of life and I would then say that he is not saved at that time. If that person were to repent and turn back to Christ then I would say he is saved again. Many people reject this idea that a person can go back & forth in their salvation but Paul makes it clear in Romans 11:17-23 that people who have been grafted into the olive tree (God’s covenant) can be grafted in, cut off, and grafted in again if they repent of their unbelief. I believe the same can take place in regards to obedience.

“But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭11:17-23‬ ‭NASB

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
To go a little further the bible is very clear about some sins if not repented from will send you to hell very fast. What does repentance mean, the bet definition I have herd is to STOP sinning, a lot of people think it is confession and that is wrong. So if we are living a life style of the things listed we can from the word of GOd be very worried that we are not saved and born again. Born again people are not going to be heading to the bar for drinks with the boys, or sitting around talking dirty jokes, or cheating on the wives, or for that matter even imaging things of sexual desires.

NOw from my experience You may get born again and struggle in some of these sins just like others have said in this thread, but after a certain amount of time if you have not conquered the sin can you claim to be born again???? I think according to the scripture below if after so many years you have not allowed Jesus to set you free from these sins, I would be very concerned for your salvation.

1. Being a drunk
2. Sexually in-moral
3. Drug abuse
4. Homosexuality
5. Greed
6. Idoltry
7. Drug abuse

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
There will be no 1000 year reign after Christ's second coming. Christ set up his kingdom while he was on earth, which is the church, that is referred to in the scriptures with many names including; the Kingdom of God, the bride, the Kingdom of heaven, the church of God, the church of Christ, the new Jerusalem, Zion, the church in the wilderness, etc.

Christ died and paid for the sins of those that God gave him and they will all be in heaven, without the lose of one, John 6:39. People that have committed all of these sins that you have listed, if they are part of those that God gave his Son, will be in heaven, but some of those will not be permitted to be members of the church (Kingdom of God) due to church discipline.

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi DaveM, maybe some scripture from Romans 10 may help you. Ill go verse by verse with you, and explain them.

Romans 10: Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Paul is saying here that it is his heart desire, and prayer for the God of Israel to save them. He bears record toward them that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. They are ignorant of God's righteousness. They are going around establishing their own righteousness, and not submitting to the Lord Jesus Christ. (Verses 1 - 3)

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Christ is the end of the law for righteousness, for everyone that believes. So there is no need to make ones self right with God by trying to live out life perfectly instead Christ is the end of the law for anyone that believes. Belief on Christ Jesus is enough to be saved. (Verse 4)

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
Moses gave the law, and if a man lives by the laws Moses had given they shall live (verse 5)

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

This seems to speak about faith is the righteousness that is only needed which comes by faith on the Lord Jesus Christ. Christ is the end of the law for righteousness, for everyone that believes. (verse 6 , 7) I am not sure how to explain the Christ ascending or descending right now.​

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Verses 8, 9 speak about how the word is right near thee, and in the heart. Which brings faith because of hearing the word, and that word allows faith to become built and can be built on the foundation of the Lord Jesus Christ, when a person confesses, and believes in their heart that God raised the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead. They shall be saved. Saved from what? Saved from the old nature, into a spiritual nature.
Maybe the raising and descending in verse 6, 7 can be relate to the old nature dying, and the spiritual nature rising because the death and resurrection symbolizes this.​

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Verse 10,11. Explain that if a man with their heart believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (The Righteousness) with their heart and confess they shall be saved, from their old nature from not believing, unto believing, resulting in spiritual nature awaking and them being restored and born again.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Verse 12, 13 Salvation of the Lord Jesus Christ has been made for anyone. Anyone who shall call upon him, with their heart, and confess that Jesus Christ is the Lord, shall be saved.

Hope this helps, may the Grace of God, and peace, love, mercy, forgiveness, love, and spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you and your family.​
HI Dave, Just a few comments about your post. Romans 10:1, the word "Israel" has reference to Jacob being Israel (God changed Jacob's name to be called Israel Gen 33:28) which is representative of God's elect. the church, Rom 9:11.

The fact, in verse 2, that these people "had a zeal of God" indicates that they are newborn babes that had not gained enough knowledge to know the righteousness of God, and were going about trying to establish their own righteousness by the works of the old law.

The word "saved" in verse one is translated in Greek to mean "delivered". Paul was praying that they would be delivered (saved) from their lack of knowledge, and not delivered eternally.

Verse 9, Confessing and repenting of breaking a spiritual, and believing that a spiritual God has raised Jesus from the dead, are products of a person that has been born again spiritually, and not that of the unregenerate natural man as described in 1 Cor 2:14 that cannot discern the things of the Spirit, and thinks them to be foolishness.

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There will be no 1000 year reign after Christ's second coming. Christ set up his kingdom while he was on earth, which is the church, that is referred to in the scriptures with many names including; the Kingdom of God, the bride, the Kingdom of heaven, the church of God, the church of Christ, the new Jerusalem, Zion, the church in the wilderness, etc.

wonder how you explain the fact that animal sacrafices are not currently happening, yet are mentioned to happen during the 1000 year rule of Christ, or why Jesus said this in his kingdom if it were he would fight for it. Or when was the beast thrown in the lake of fire, or when was satan cast away in to the dungen?

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we walk a line.
On the other hand we don't want to be walking around full of pride with our noses in the air thinking we are 'more Holier than thou' To use a phrase sometimes slung at Christians.
That doesn't help ourselves or others. But we should also not constantly thinking of ourselves as being completely unworthy, beating ourselves up with no self esteem, because we are God's children.
1 John 3

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of a God!
Which should be celebrated! What a wonderful blessing.

as I was reading this morning another verse came to me that I thought worth mentioning in this thread about Paul. Like you have said its a fine line we walk, and here we have Paul saying he is unaware of anything against himself, yet he sounds like he realizes that he still falls short of the Holly standard of God, thus remaining humble. the trouble starts when we start comparing ourselfs to others, we are all on difernt levels in our walk with Christ, some may still be struggling with something that another has conquered, the one who has conquered should encourage the one who struggles and rememebr that he to struggled, and may very well be struggling in another area.

1 Corinthians 4:3
But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.

1 Corinthians 4:4
For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0