Ottawa, Ontario
✟18,046.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You get saved when you have a change of heart and turn away from your sins, call upon God and believe you are forgiven through Jesus Christ, and begin to have a relationship with God who is the source of life and renewal.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi DaveM, maybe some scripture from Romans 10 may help you. Ill go verse by verse with you, and explain them.

Romans 10: Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Paul is saying here that it is his heart desire, and prayer for the God of Israel to save them. He bears record toward them that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. They are ignorant of God's righteousness. They are going around establishing their own righteousness, and not submitting to the Lord Jesus Christ. (Verses 1 - 3)

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Christ is the end of the law for righteousness, for everyone that believes. So there is no need to make ones self right with God by trying to live out life perfectly instead Christ is the end of the law for anyone that believes. Belief on Christ Jesus is enough to be saved. (Verse 4)

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
Moses gave the law, and if a man lives by the laws Moses had given they shall live (verse 5)

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

This seems to speak about faith is the righteousness that is only needed which comes by faith on the Lord Jesus Christ. Christ is the end of the law for righteousness, for everyone that believes. (verse 6 , 7) I am not sure how to explain the Christ ascending or descending right now.​

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Verses 8, 9 speak about how the word is right near thee, and in the heart. Which brings faith because of hearing the word, and that word allows faith to become built and can be built on the foundation of the Lord Jesus Christ, when a person confesses, and believes in their heart that God raised the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead. They shall be saved. Saved from what? Saved from the old nature, into a spiritual nature.
Maybe the raising and descending in verse 6, 7 can be relate to the old nature dying, and the spiritual nature rising because the death and resurrection symbolizes this.​

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Verse 10,11. Explain that if a man with their heart believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (The Righteousness) with their heart and confess they shall be saved, from their old nature from not believing, unto believing, resulting in spiritual nature awaking and them being restored and born again.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Verse 12, 13 Salvation of the Lord Jesus Christ has been made for anyone. Anyone who shall call upon him, with their heart, and confess that Jesus Christ is the Lord, shall be saved.

Hope this helps, may the Grace of God, and peace, love, mercy, forgiveness, love, and spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you and your family.​

Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Does one get saved by simply responding to a alter call at a church?? or saying a prayer ????

I believe this.

How Are We Saved? - Theology - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

And will especially quote from the end.

The reception of the gift of salvation is not a one-time event but a life-time process. St. Paul employs the verb “to save” (sozesthai) in the past tense (“we have been saved,” Rom 8:24; Eph 2:5); in the present tense (“we are being saved,” 1 Cor 1:18; 15:2), and in the future tense (“we will be saved,” Rom 5:10). He can think even of justification as a future event and part of the final judgment (Rom 2:13, 16). For Paul, Christians are involved in a lifetime covenant with God in which we work, planting and watering, but it is “only God who gives the growth” (1 Cor 3:7). We are “co-workers with God” (synergoi Theou, 1 Cor 3:9; 1 Thess 3:2). (Not “co-workers under God” as some translations would have it). The mystery of salvation is a duet, not a solo. It is a life-time engagement with God. It has ups and downs, twists and turns, with opportunities to grow in the love of God, knowing that we can turn to Him again and again and receive forgiveness and a new birth. When we come to Christ as sinners, we have no works to offer to Him, but only faith and repentance. But once we come to Him and receive the gift of salvation, we enter into a sacred covenant to honor Him with good works. We read in Ephesians: “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God . . . [We are] created in Christ Jesus for good works” (Eph 2:8-10).

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can pray right now and receive Christ (If you have not already). There is no one set way. Believe in the life, death, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. God bless.

(I read John's Gospel and came to faith many years ago. No church, no alter call.)

[Jhn 1:12 NIV] 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--

[Act 16:30-31 NIV] 30 He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does one get saved by simply responding to a alter call at a church?? or saying a prayer ????
You cried out how to get saved ??? Are you far off from the Lord Jesus Christ?
Yes, you can respond to altar call at a church or say a prayer. You know only the name of Jesus Christ can save us. For this is what we have heard:

And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." -Acts 4:12

Remember what the Lord says :
But this command I gave them: 'Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people. And walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.' -Jeremiah 7:23

What the Lord have said :
For thus says the LORD to the men of Judah and Jerusalem: "Break up your fallow ground, and sow not among thorns. -Jeremiah 4:3
Circumcise yourselves to the LORD; remove the foreskin of your hearts, O men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem; lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn with none to quench it, because of the evil of your deeds." -Jeremiah 4:4

Heed His voice, obey His command and you will abide in His love. If you love Jesus Christ your Savior, He will rescue you.

Abide in His love.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Getting saved is kind of a poor way to put what God is offering the sinner. One reason why because being saved in the Bible can carry different meanings.

But what you are asking is, i believe, how does a person receive Gods free gift of Eternal Life.
To receive Gods free gift of Eternal Life, believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah (only/unique begotten son of God) from the prophecies of The Tanakh and Trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal life. that is it if a person does that they are now a child of God, born again never to lose their free gift of Gods Eternal Life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

The Gospel of John testifies to this and was the reason The Gospel of John was written. To tell people how to have life (eternal)

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You get saved by placing your faith on the Lord Jesus Christ. It's as simple as that. If you believe in Jesus right now at this moment, according to the Bible you're saved.

Acts 16:
"30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

John 6:47 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life."

Think of it this way. Everyone has faith in something. Whether it be atheism, agnosticism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Mormonism, etc. Those are different things that people have faith in. But only those who have faith in Jesus Christ will go to heaven. You can put your faith in Jesus by praying the 'sinner's prayer'. It's simply a prayer by which you can confess to God what you have faith in. Tell God that you put your faith in Jesus!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think basically all are saved, because for all it is declared the forgiveness of sins, which saves for the judgment that would come because of sin. However, it is not useful, if you don’t accept it and if you continue in sin after that. Forgiveness gives a new start, but person still must be righteous to get the eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely. You can be saved without doing any works whatsoever.

I wonder how you would back this statement up with scripture that says,, if we are doing any of the following sins we are not going to heaven.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:21
Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think basically all are saved,

Jesus tells us FEW are saved because the way is hard and the gate is narrow

Matthew 7:13-14
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's simply a prayer by which you can confess to God what you have faith in. Tell God that you put your faith in Jesus!

that sounds pretty easy, seems a lot of people forget the part about obey

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People were getting saved before churches were even build and they meet in houses.

To get saved you need to accept Christ's gift of eternal life which He paid for by shedding his blood on cross. He died in place of you so you don't have to if you want.

The time you believe that He did it for you , you get sealed with Holy Spirit and get saved , then u get born again in heavenly body at resurrection.

Scriptures:
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 , Ephesians 2:8-9 , Ephesians 1:13-14 , 1 Peter 1:8-19

What according to Scriptures means which Paul spoke of in Corinthians? That there were multiple prophecy about Jesus and that they were fullfilled by him , validated that Christ is God and that God even exists.

Example of prophecy Isaiah 53

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Romans 10:9

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how you would back this statement up with scripture that says,, if we are doing any of the following sins we are not going to heaven.

Scripture teaches that once you are born again, God has created a new creature within you which cannot sin. Your sins are washed away - past present and future sins.

1 Jn 3:9 "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

that sounds pretty easy, seems a lot of people forget the part about obey

Your verse was from a false Bible translation. Here's how the verse goes in the most famous Bible version, the King James Version:

John 3:36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

Upvote 0