Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just show up in my John Calvin t-shirt with my NASB Bible and keep talking to the pastor about how he is wrong and what not. Then the pastor would tell the others in his congregation not to communicate with me anymore.

Upvote 0

WintersDust

Nov 6, 2022
Alexandria
✟2,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I have nowhere else to put this.

The Baptist church I more or less grew up in got a new pastor and within a matter of weeks went the way of the prosperity gospel megachurch. My family left last summer. My parents and sister started attending a different Baptist church, and I started attending a nearby Methodist church. The Methodist congregation has been like another family to me, and I've felt truly at home in church since the first time since high school. I have since been confirmed as a Methodist and am very happy.

But I keep being contacted by my old congregation--letters, emails, texts, everything--asking me to come back, preferably bearing cash.

I've repeatedly unsubscribed from email lists, but somehow they keep sending me emails. I've emailed in response that I am attending church elsewhere, and that I would like to be taken off of the Sunday School roll, etc., but I just get more emails begging me to come back. My family has gotten letters from the pastor asking for our tithe, followed by letters asking for our attendance. I'm not sure what else to do other than write an actual letter to the staff explaining that I've left the denomination.

I'm also worried about how to do this politely rather than pettily. I'm not sure how to go about this in a Christlike manner.

It's a minor annoyance, but I'm a little tired of all the junk mail. How do I get my old church to stop contacting my family and I? Is there even a way to do this?
Take your phone with you and record yourself delivering a cease and desist letter to the pastor, so that your command to stop contacting you is on the record.
Send that same cease and desist letter to him by registered mail. Address the correspondence, the cease and desist letter, to his express attention. Pastor.....full name.
Registered mail means he and he alone with ID verifying his identity must sign for the letter.

If they violate the command to cease and desist from contacting you,harassing you, after being commanded to stop, sue them!

Let some of that prosperity enter your pocket. And if it comes to that, contact the local media and let them know what's happening.
They'll be interested in such a story.

Cease and Desist Letter Templates (9)

There's a prosperity church in my old hometown that requires perspective congregants to turn in their W-2 forms. This so they can be billed once a month for the proper 10% tithe ''the Bible requires''.
Their pastor drives a brand new leased top of the line Mercedes, that he trades in for a new model year every year.
His congregants,not so much.

What you're describing isn't a church. It's a secular business. It will only stop when you stop them.

God bless your endeavor.

edited typo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Take your phone with you and record yourself delivering a cease and desist letter to the pastor, so that your command to stop contacting you is on the record.
Send that same cease and desist letter to him by registered mail. Address the correspondence, the cease and desist letter, to his express attention. Pastor.....full name.
Registered nail means he and he alone with ID verifying his identity must sign for the letter.

If they violate the command to cease and desist from contacting you,harassing you, after being commanded to stop, sue them!

Let some of that prosperity enter your pocket. And if it comes to that, contact the local media and let them know what's happening.

There's a prosperity church in my old hometown that requires perspective congregants to turn in their W-2 forms. This so they can be billed once a month for the proper 10% tithe ''the Bible requires''.
Their pastor drives a brand new leased top of the line Mercedes, that he trades in for a new model year every year.

What you're describing isn't a church. It's a secular business. It will only stop when you stop them.

God bless your endeavor.
outstanding, I cound not say it better, Brother.

• Friendly
Reactions: WintersDust
Upvote 0

WintersDust

Nov 6, 2022
Alexandria
✟2,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you know a Lawyer in your new Church ask him/her to send them a cease from contacting you letter --- by cerified mail.
Registered mail. Insures the one you want to address has to show ID and sign for the letter.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Registered mail means he and he alone with ID verifying his identity must sign for the letter.

God bless your endeavor.

edited typo
I would only disagree in that a 'certified letter' is sufficient for legal purposes. Registered mail is for when you are shipping irreplaceable valuables. Certified mail is for legal documents. It contains proof of delivery and can be done to require the addressee sign for it.

Upvote 0

WintersDust

Nov 6, 2022
Alexandria
✟2,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would only disagree in that a 'certified letter' is sufficient for legal purposes. Registered mail is for when you are shipping irreplaceable valuables. Certified mail is for legal documents. It contains proof of delivery and can be done to require the addressee sign for it.
Registered mail is used by lawyers and attorneys every day.
It's a delivery system that has all points of handling the correspondence or parcel signing receipt of said correspondence or parcel.
The final receipt,to whom it is addressed, must show ID to the carrier and sign for it.
Not always the case with certified mail.

Though if someone wants to go that route there is the $added option of ''restricted delivery adult signature's. However I know enough carriers to know they don't often ask for ID in that case. And anyone at the address may sign for the correspondence or parcel.
If someone does go with certified mail make sure you add the option , return receipt requested. This way you have that much evidence the letter was received. Though there's no guarantee someone has signed for it on that receipt. Which is not the case with Registered mail.
Whereas Registered mail necessitates the addressee must show valid ID to receive the letter.

You want that proof in a case like this because it proves on your end that you went through the proper steps to inform the addressee of your wishes.

Make sure you have a copy of the letter, and being you have to fill out the Registered mail paperwork,ideally, at the post office, use your phone. Take a picture of the letter and the registered letter tag with it. This way you have proof the registration number on that mailer accompanied the letter itself.

Some people in order to wiggle out of responsibility for receipt of a registered letter have argued the letter they received was not what was mailed according to the Registered mail receipt.

If this gets out of hand you want as much proof as possible to support your demand that pastor cease and desist their harassment of you.

Make it a cordial but direct letter. And date it. If they persist after that, keep all correspondence with their return address in tact.
Don't open it. Wait, and see if you receive another one. Same thing. Don't open it. Then, contact an attorney. Make sure the post mark is visible on those letters should they arrive after you send the cease and desist letter.
You want clear proof those correspondence arrived after you sent the cease and desist letter.
Part of the reason for the Registered letter is the date of correspondence, and its receipt by the addressee.
When they sign and date after showing ID you have proof of receipt of your demand letter.
No, that doesn't insure they read it. However, that's outside your control.

What sustains your part in levying the command to stop contacting you is that proof you sent a letter to that effect. And their signature proves they themselves,with ID, took custody of said correspondence on a certain date.

They shouldn't write you back after receiving the cease and desist letter. Because that is contrary to the demand.

Stay safe.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a minor annoyance, but I'm a little tired of all the junk mail. How do I get my old church to stop contacting my family and I? Is there even a way to do this?
I would recommend you ignore it. In my experience of pushy Christian organisations they'll soon get tired of chasing wild geese. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Robert1849

Oct 31, 2021
PRIEST RIVER
Visit site
✟18,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, with all my experience, I have never had this problem. Having said that your next actions should be totally based on how willing you are to "poke the bear." If from your story, they have gone the way of money being their god, then I would use that. Truth is your best weapon and if you disrupt their financial base they will want to get away from you as fast as they can. What I mean is arm yourself with various facts about money from a biblical mindset. Then start asking the Lord to put you in contact with some of the people who attend this church. Have coffee, meet them for pie, and start delivering the truth in love. Each person you educate is an opportunity for freedom from a bad place. And once the pastor starts learning what you doing, he is going to want you to stay as far away as possible from the people who pay him.

Reactions: Grafted In
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums