London
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe in God, there's no doubt about that but I can't seem to find the effort to do more worshipping. I love listening to others talk about Jesus (even when someone just handed me a leaflet on the street and said "Jesus loves you" made so happy and joyful) but doing something myself is a whole other story. When I read the Bible, I manage couple of pages and then I get kinda bored and put it away and start doing something else and it's the same with praying. I try to pray at least every night before I go to bed but I'm not sure I'm doing it right and most of the time it feels like I'm praying just to get it over and done with and sometimes I don't even know what to say so I just pray The Lord's Prayer. I'm really worried about this. Has anyone else ever struggled with this? What should I do? Should I just keep reading The Bible and pray more and it will change?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe in God, there's no doubt about that but I can't seem to find the effort to do more worshipping. I love listening to others talk about Jesus (even when someone just handed me a leaflet on the street and said "Jesus loves you" made so happy and joyful) but doing something myself is a whole other story. When I read the Bible, I manage couple of pages and then I get kinda bored and put it away and start doing something else and it's the same with praying. I try to pray at least every night before I go to bed but I'm not sure I'm doing it right and most of the time it feels like I'm praying just to get it over and done with and sometimes I don't even know what to say so I just pray The Lord's Prayer. I'm really worried about this. Has anyone else ever struggled with this? What should I do? Should I just keep reading The Bible and pray more and it will change?

Everyone goes through that. We should pray the Lord's Prayer three times at a minimum each day according to the Didache. I typically pray the prayer only twice, once when I wake up and once before I go to sleep.

I'm sure that establishing some minimum and routinely following that minimum is a good place to start.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why not take a copy of your post, get alone with God, tell Him you want to read it to Him from your heart, and just read it to Him? The Scripture says to cast all your care upon Him because He cares for you.

What you have said shows that although you have just a little grace in your heart compared to other, stronger believers, what you have is genuine, and Jesus can do a lot with it, fan it into flame and make it stronger.

What He wants is for you to come to Him just as you are, not trying to be better at praying or reading the Bible. The Scripture says that when you are weak, then He is strong. Once you have read that post to Him, ask Him for a total filling of the Holy Spirit and for Him to reveal Himself to you in a new way.

What I did was to say to the Lord, "I am Paul, and You are God, and I'm very glad to meet you". Immediately, I felt all lit up like Times Square and I just knew Jesus was real. I had a new love for honest, sincere prayer, and the Bible became a new book for me.

So, have you introduced yourself to Jesus? He told me that He had been waiting for me to do that for the whole two years since I accepted Him, and was trying to do all the religious stuff. I was the loudest, tongues talking, praising, Bible bashing, foot thumping Pentecostal you could ever meet, but I didn't know Jesus, because I had never got by myself and just introduced myself to Him!

When I introduced myself to Him, I heard His voice in my heart for the first time. It was like His voice was all through my inner being. I had never heard that voice before and it was accepting of me, faith building, kind, gentle, yet powerful and although all my friends treated me as a problem case, Jesus told me clearly that He didn't see me like that at all! It was a life changer for me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi MissH84, you could try "listening" to the Bible for a change, as well listen to/view online talks or sermons about the Bible, a Biblical topic, or some aspect of the Christian faith/living the Christian life.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.: Audio

Renewing Your Mind .. Dr. R C Sproul (and other teaching fellows)

Grace to You .. Dr. John MacArthur

Insight for Living .. Dr. Chuck Swindoll

Gateway to Joy .. Elisabeth Elliot
There are also quite a few free online Christian resources if you are an Amazon Prime member. Just search Christian videos or movies, or words like "Sproul" or "Spurgeon" or "Luther" etc.

Finally, why not combine your Bible study & prayer together and make it into a regular time of dialogue with God? As you read, a chapter, a passage, or even just a verse, ask God questions about what you are reading, and for His insight or understanding, and tell Him what you think and/or praise and thank Him for the things He shows/teaches you in His word. The Bible is the principle way that He talks to us, and prayer is the way we normally talk to Him, so Bible study and prayer seem made for one another, yes :)

--David

Psalm 1
1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.. we all do. But JESUS IS REAL! What I mean is.. no matter how you FEEL..dont stop.. He IS there.. a. JOY will come a peace will come. Keep pressing IN!

Not sure how this will go but..Luke 11 13. Read it.. if JESUS said it not me not man..but Jesus. Just do what He or GOD said in luke. Then KNOW the Father will do what HE said if YOU ask period.

See what part is us? Well we put on GODS armor.. have the mind of Christ. The peace of GOD... the Joy of the lord.. on and on. He is ALL OVER YOU! We must freely receive. Just have faith/trust. That what ever He said in His word HE will do it. So we walk by faith. We are not moved by what we SEE HEAR or FEEL!

So.. you praise Him when you dont feel like it..not only when you do. And you do it and you WILL get this joy.. where you wont want to stop! But we MUST be faithful. As you said.. we just stop.. hey any time you cant sleep? Pick up that bible and start reading. The flesh hates it haha.

ONLY because you post and ask do I say this...never to boast. Well last night.. woke up 2:30am.. praise GOD..NO I didnt want to get up and pray..but.. I did. ..how long? I dont know a hour.. TELL HIM...ASK HIM..tell Him how you FEEL! How you DONT want to what ever it us read pray.. haha and KNOW He hears you and HE WILL help you! You will if it is our hearts desire..want to read.. to worship.

HAHA your doing great.. welcome to the FLESH! Now you see the battle.... as Paul said.. what I want to do..I dont do...what I dont want to do I do.. its no longer you that sin.,.but sin that is in you. Our Spirit LOVES the things of GOD! Our flesh hates it. We die daily so HE can live. DONT stop.. keep pressing in..

He IS a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. Not the reason we do it.. yet He will reward you

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here is a thought about this from missionary and author, Elisabeth Elliot.

Do you often feel like parched ground, unable to produce anything worthwhile? I do. When I am in need of refreshment, it isn't easy to think of the needs of others. But I have found that if, instead of praying for my own comfort and satisfaction, I ask the Lord to enable me to give to others, an amazing thing often happens - I find my own needs wonderfully met. Refreshment comes in ways I would never have thought of, both for others, and then, incidentally, for myself.
Perhaps in finding ways to give of yourself to others you will also find the kind of encouragement you are looking for (so much so perhaps that additional Bible study, prayer, & worship, etc., will no longer feel like an effort to you :)). As the title of one of Pastor Jack Hayford's books suggests, giving is, The Key to Everything.

Along these same lines, it's always good to remember that the Lord never intended for us to keep what we learn and experience to ourselves. In fact, having a regular outlet to share what you know as a blessing to others (and to pray for them) is often all the encouragement that some of us will ever need (and you can certainly do plenty of that beginning right here at CF :oldthumbsup:).

Finally, I see that you are still pretty new around here, so I'll say what I should have said to you at the beginning of my first post above, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

--David
p.s. - does you church have any ways for you to get involved in doing for others? Or how about a small group Bible study that you could join?

Isaiah 43
10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD, “And My servant whom I have chosen, in order that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Lord Jesus is your constant companion as the Holy Ghost.You have to just know that. Just talk to Him just like you would your best friend. That too is prayer.When you go to church or Bible study, grab hold of a verse or two then turn it over and over in your mind until you have it memorized. Learn to speak the promises of God to yourself. Learn some scripture rich songs and praise songs and dance! Dance like David danced. Nothing dispels boredom like praising God. Here sing and dance to this song.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Lord Jesus is your constant companion as the Holy Ghost.You have to just know that. Just talk to Him just like you would your best friend. That too is prayer.When you go to church or Bible study, grab hold of a verse or two then turn it over and over in your mind until you have it memorized. Learn to speak the promises of God to yourself. Learn some scripture rich songs and praise songs and dance! Dance like David danced. Nothing dispels boredom like praising God. Here sing and dance to this song.
I agree with your post but have a bit of a check with the video. We have to be careful about soulish worship in order to hype up emotion in a charged-up church meeting. I have no problem laughing, dancing, jumping and shouting on an isolated beach with only God to see me, and I would only do that if there was something to praise God for. If I tried to do it to charge up some emotion so I could feel His presence more, He would say, "Why on earth are you doing that when My presence is already within you?" But if while I was praying and talking to God on that beach and He showed me a wonderful new insight into His Word that gave me a real sense of victory over an issue in my life, then I would run, jump and shout "Yahoo!"

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree with your post but have a bit of a check with the video. We have to be careful about soulish worship in order to hype up emotion in a charged-up church meeting. I have no problem laughing, dancing, jumping and shouting on an isolated beach with only God to see me, and I would only do that if there was something to praise God for. If I tried to do it to charge up some emotion so I could feel His presence more, He would say, "Why on earth are you doing that when My presence is already within you?" But if while I was praying and talking to God on that beach and He showed me a wonderful new insight into His Word that gave me a real sense of victory over an issue in my life, then I would run, jump and shout "Yahoo!"
Sometimes I feel low, depressed, and bored. Singing a song like this picks me up and dispels the gloom. You have to do what works for you. But this song works for me. Did you hear about the little boy who was kidnapped from his front yard. He just kept singing this song out loud over and over and the kidnapper put him out of the car near a home.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I feel low, depressed, and bored. Singing a song like this picks me up and dispels the gloom. You have to do what works for you. But this song works for me. Did you hear about the little boy who was kidnapped from his front yard. He just kept singing this song out loud over and over and the kidnapper put him out of the car near a home.
I love singing "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" to the Lord and I know all the verses off by heart. It builds up my faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love singing "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" to the Lord and I know all the verses off by heart. It builds up my faith.
That is a beautiful hymn. Paul encourages us to sing, not just at church but keeping a melody in our hearts.
Eph.5:8 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just being still and knowing that He is God has brought about wonderful experiences with Him. When love accompanies your worship time you can be assured that it is God with you. Psalms 51:6 tells us to desire truth in our inward parts and wisdom will be given. Part of the problem of not knowing what to talk to God about is just that what the heart desires is Him, not anything else. I’ve found that just being still has lead to great conversations where things are brought to mind. Often I would just fall asleep not having talked at all but awaken feeling refreshed and loved. A quick ‘goodnight Jesus, I love you’ can set the stage for the mind to be placed in the right direction for some wonderful dreams too. Having the mind set on Christ is the main thing.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That is a beautiful hymn. Paul encourages us to sing, not just at church but keeping a melody in our hearts.
Eph.5:8 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
There is nothing wrong with singing. Paul said that he sang with the Spirit and also with the understanding, so he enjoyed singing whenever he could.

I think the problem with me is that I cannot see how having to stand for 30 minutes singing to try and work up an atmosphere before the preaching. When I am in services like that, I feel bored, and go into suspended animation until it is time for the sermon.

It is because faith comes by hearing the preached word of God, and not 30 minutes of singing. I think that the time for praise and expressive worship is at the end of a meeting where many souls are saved, healed and delivered. Then there is something to praise God for. Trying for 30 minutes of singing and expressive worship to try and get God to do something in the service is like putting the cart before the horse. I believe the Holy Spirit stands around with His hands in his pockets waiting for it to finish so He can empower the preacher to preach the Word and through it accomplish something real in the meeting.

That's what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14. He would rather see things done to edify believers, and he says that edifying comes through prophecy, not just getting up and giving prophecies that are usually forgotten before the end of the service, but also good preaching which if the Holy Spirit is speaking through it, is prophetic in itself. I am tending toward believing that Paul defines prophecy as sound, Holy Spirit preaching of the Word. That lines up with faith coming by hearing the word of God.

I would tend to believe that 30 minutes of public, expressive, showy worship could be vanity and not true worship. Some may disagree, but Jesus did say that we should not be like the hypocrites and be showy about our religion before people.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing wrong with singing. Paul said that he sang with the Spirit and also with the understanding, so he enjoyed singing whenever he could.

I think the problem with me is that I cannot see how having to stand for 30 minutes singing to try and work up an atmosphere before the preaching. When I am in services like that, I feel bored, and go into suspended animation until it is time for the sermon.

It is because faith comes by hearing the preached word of God, and not 30 minutes of singing. I think that the time for praise and expressive worship is at the end of a meeting where many souls are saved, healed and delivered. Then there is something to praise God for. Trying for 30 minutes of singing and expressive worship to try and get God to do something in the service is like putting the cart before the horse. I believe the Holy Spirit stands around with His hands in his pockets waiting for it to finish so He can empower the preacher to preach the Word and through it accomplish something real in the meeting.

That's what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14. He would rather see things done to edify believers, and he says that edifying comes through prophecy, not just getting up and giving prophecies that are usually forgotten before the end of the service, but also good preaching which if the Holy Spirit is speaking through it, is prophetic in itself. I am tending toward believing that Paul defines prophecy as sound, Holy Spirit preaching of the Word. That lines up with faith coming by hearing the word of God.

I would tend to believe that 30 minutes of public, expressive, showy worship could be vanity and not true worship. Some may disagree, but Jesus did say that we should not be like the hypocrites and be showy about our religion before people.
I have a different problem with the singing. Usually I love to praise God for a good 45 minutes then listen to a good service. That’s ideal to me. But so many songs don’t have the meat of the word in them that it just stunts the worship. Some of the songs could be sung to any god. That is disheartening, and something worship leaders should spend more time in prayer about. Stop feeding the sheep dirty water!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a different problem with the singing. Usually I love to praise God for a good 45 minutes then listen to a good service. That’s ideal to me. But so many songs don’t have the meat of the word in them that it just stunts the worship. Some of the songs could be sung to any god. That is disheartening, and something worship leaders should spend more time in prayer about. Stop feeding the sheep dirty water!
It's great to praise God from the heart any time and there are no time limits on it. The sad thing about the content of Christian songs is that they have evolved over the last 40 years from gospel to "bless me Lord".

Actually, there is nothing wrong with singing a good chorus 10 times. I heard a story about a meeting that caught fire when they sang:
"It's the blood,
It's the blood,
It's the blood,
That ransomed me!"

ten times.

Very simple but powerful in releasing the power of the Holy Spirit in a meeting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's great to praise God from the heart any time and there are no time limits on it. The sad thing about the content of Christian songs is that they have evolved over the last 40 years from gospel to "bless me Lord".

Actually, there is nothing wrong with singing a good chorus 10 times. I heard a story about a meeting that caught fire when they sang:
"It's the blood,
It's the blood,
It's the blood,
That ransomed me!"

ten times.

Very simple but powerful in releasing the power of the Holy Spirit in a meeting.
I really can’t imagine the Holy Spirit standing around with hands in pockets while people are in praise and worship, whether it’s directed at God Himself or what God has done in one’s life. Giving to God is more important than receiving from Him. What gets to me is hearing the congregation begging for the presence of the Holy Spirit rather than acknowledging the Presence.
The Holy Spirit waiting to anoint the service isn’t going to happen when the hearers can’t get past boredom to praise Him. To me that’s more important than a few praying before the service.
After service there should be praise and worship also but that is in thanks for what they have received from a God Who has gotten His own satisfaction first.
Maybe that’s why church has lost it’s appeal to me and I am more inclined to not join in the church options available.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I really can’t imagine the Holy Spirit standing around with hands in pockets while people are in praise and worship, whether it’s directed at God Himself or what God has done in one’s life. Giving to God is more important than receiving from Him. What gets to me is hearing the congregation begging for the presence of the Holy Spirit rather than acknowledging the Presence.
The Holy Spirit waiting to anoint the service isn’t going to happen when the hearers can’t get past boredom to praise Him. To me that’s more important than a few praying before the service.
After service there should be praise and worship also but that is in thanks for what they have received from a God Who has gotten His own satisfaction first.
Maybe that’s why church has lost it’s appeal to me and I am more inclined to not join in the church options available.
My finger hit the wrong key. see the next post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Here is a solemn Scripture:

“The multitude of your sacrifices—
what are they to me?” says the Lord.
“I have more than enough of burnt offerings,
of rams and the fat of fattened animals;
I have no pleasure
in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.
12 When you come to appear before me,
who has asked this of you,
this trampling of my courts?
13 Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.
14 Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals
I hate with all my being.
They have become a burden to me;
I am weary of bearing them.
15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
I hide my eyes from you;
even when you offer many prayers,
I am not listening.
Your hands are full of blood!

This is talking prophetically about people involved in worship services when their hearts are not right with God. So when a worship service, though never so noisy and expressive, is just of the flesh and not the Spirit, we must ask ourselves, what unconfessed sin is there among the leaders and members. Does the fallow ground need to be broken up before the Holy Spirit can release true worship? Because realistically up to 50% of the members of our churches could be unconverted, "nominal" Christians whose hearts are still sinful, and are just putting on the appearance of religion, it could be understandable that worship times in many churches turn out to be vanity, because the above Scripture is true about God's attitude to them.

Not a popular message, but true worship has to be from the heart to be of meaning and value to God.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not a popular message, but true worship has to be from the heart to be of meaning and value to God.
Matthew Henry Commentary
1:10-15 Judea was desolate, and their cities burned. This awakened them to bring sacrifices and offerings, as if they would bribe God to remove the punishment, and give them leave to go on in their sin. Many who will readily part with their sacrifices, will not be persuaded to part with their sins. They relied on the mere form as a service deserving a reward. The most costly devotions of wicked people, without thorough reformation of heart and life, cannot be acceptable to God. He not only did not accept them, but he abhorred them. All this shows that sin is very hateful to God. If we allow ourselves in secret sin, or forbidden indulgences; if we reject the salvation of Christ, our very prayers will become abomination.

The vanity seems to be not in the worship but what they assume are sacrifices to God, given in the spirit of strange fire. I know what you mean but I don’t believe songs should be the target of your discontent. Except where the worship leaders are being the unfaithful ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0