Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Beloved CF family,

My son who is 3,5 years old asked me, is Jesus the "real God"? What about the Father?

How do I explain to him so he can understand given his age?

I don't want to confuse him.

Thanks in advance!

Your brother in Christ

Every Dad has little sons that grow up to be just like their daddy .. Animal sons like their dads , people sons like their dads , and Gods only son like his ..

Reactions: Linus
Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Beloved CF family,

My son who is 3,5 years old asked me, is Jesus the "real God"? What about the Father?

Thanks in advance!

Your brother in Christ

I wouldn't worry about in depth explanations for that age. Kids ask tons of questions when they're little. You shouldn't ignore their questions, but you can offer simple answers.

You could just say that Jesus was a real human being who lived a long time ago that we (Christians) believe also was God. You could say Jesus shows us what God is like & how we should live: loving others, being kind to others, giving to others.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't tell him what people believe. Don't tell him what you believe. Tell him the way it is. It needs to be in ways he can understand, though (or remember and later understand). If you have trouble believing something you say, he'll be able to tell and it will have an effect on him. It is very important to genuinely believe what you say to him (about everything).

Sometimes telling him The Truth (that you believe) is counter-cultural, but it is what makes God responsible for its effects, and he will prove faithful in His love, protection, and provision.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just keep telling him lord JESUS CHRIST the son of GOD loves him and for him to believe in him. That's should be enough for now. He is in adolescence so be patient and pray for him daily and encourage him to follow suit.

Prayer is our general communion with the heavenly father and JESUS CHRIST so encourage your son alongside you to join is always a formulae for love.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Beloved CF family,

Thanks in advance!

Your brother in Christ

Linus: What does the bible teach about the Godhead (father, son, holy spirit)? Teach your son from the scriptures. He probably won't "get it" all, that's normal. Teaching the truths about the Godhead to your son, now it's going to be a process--step by step as time goes by, it won't be a one time thing...just as fathers in the bible taught their children, you teach your son over the course of his growing up years. It be good to set aside a regular time to read and explore the bible with your son, one little lesson at a time.
Get ideas/guides on teaching your child here:
http://www.truthforkids.com/lesson-plan/#.V5_iIZMrKHo

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Beloved CF family,

Thanks in advance!

Your brother in Christ

Christianbook.com probably has some good children's books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Beloved CF family,

Thanks in advance!

Your brother in Christ

we can tell a lot about God by looking at ourselves, because we're made in His image (Gen 1:26) - we are made up of three parts (1Thes 5:23):

-spirit, which the Bible defines as our 'life force' (John 6:63, James 2:26),

-body, which we can see,

-and soul; which is what's left over; the mind we think with, our will or ability to make decisions, and our emotions;

just like Him:

Spirit - God the Father (John 4:24)
Body - Jesus (Mat 1:23; John 10:30; John 14:9)
Soul (mind, will, and emotions) - the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; Eph 4:30)

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your son is 3.5 years old and so am I. I write very well for 3.5 years old, but back in early 2013, I became a Christian.

I am still learning about how God the Father, and God the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all still the same but not the same!

Sometimes people say, "God is one!" and it rebukes unbelief out of me.

I have found some very fancy adult explanations as to how they are all one. The fancy adult explanations do not assist my child-like faith to actually believe God in my heart, though. I think the real issue is not whether it makes perfect sense, but rather whether we trust Jesus.

A person who totally trusts Jesus, when Jesus says, "The Father and I are one" will believe Jesus when he says this.

So I would just read you son this verse:

John 10 - the Father is in me, and I am in the Father.

And then also, Jesus said:

John 8:58 - "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I AM!"

You see, a lost person could be given the fancy adult explanation, and it may do them no good at all, if they do not believe what Jesus said. Trusting Jesus is what faith is.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of us believe God and Jesus are two separate beings, and for the sake of the child I'm going to be painfully honest here. Some say, oh simply tell him the truth, explain it like this, or whatever, but fact is, as ludicrous as some of us find that God is more than one individual, the child is just going to not get that at all.

I tried to wrap my mind around it, I really did, then I read this long drawn out, very weird sounding Nicene Creed was it? and immediately realized it was just another so-called truth man came up with, and there is a very good reason it's confusing. I could go on there but I've done it before so, I'll keep this somewhat mild.

Also, and to keep myself out of hot water, I'm just speaking in general here. I'm afraid when this type thing is taught to children, it can be counter productive for their faith. I mean I can see them now trying to decide which road to take as say a teen, and thinking how weird and confusing something that should be a straightforward simple message sounds and enough of these "higher truths" actually affecting their faith and not in a good way. Sounds very possible to me anyway.

So, if you believe that, I don't know what to tell you except for what I have already said. If you don't go the 3n1 route, then just tell him God is Jesus' daddy and vice versa....that is after all what the Bible says.

Upvote 0