eternity75

Sep 12, 2015
✟17,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

I have a good friend who I feel very called to share the Bible and the gospel with but I am not sure how to do this properly. She believes in many New Age things, right now most strongly influenced by "The Course in Miracles". I also used to be interested and involved in these things so I know exactly where she is coming from in her beliefs. She also had early childhood experiences in the Catholic Church and basically that whole experience left a sour taste for her regarding Christianity. I don't normally feel called to share the gospel with anyone I know, I think because I am very soft-natured and most of those I know are strong opinionated people who are clearly set in their ways, so rather than share with them I just pray for them.

But this friend is different. I feel very strongly that she has been seeking a relationship with God her whole life, but frequently been led in the wrong direction to finding Him. She is a very spiritual person and she is a decent person. But she has a hard time reconciling in her mind a loving God with an angry God and God's wrath or punishment. Recently though, she has opened up to me about the evil she sees in the world. A few years ago she told me she didn't believe evil really existed because she had never really seen or experienced anything she considered evil. So maybe God is opening her mind to that or maybe as things are getting worse in the world she is finally seeing it for itself. She uses words like "heathens" and talks about the battle between good and evil, God and Satan, and yet at the same time she turns back to the Course in Miracles relating things to man's ego. I have shared some scripture with her and I have told her about the prophecies in the Bible, many of which have already been fulfilled and many that are being fulfilled today. She seems open to learning about these things. But I don't know how to pull her away from the Course In Miracles and New Age teachings that she has come to believe in. I have suggested to her that she would benefit from reading the Bible and she says she tried in the past but didn't understand it (though I have read the Course in Miracles and that's not exactly an easy read either). She talks about praying to God daily and how her prayers are more like conversations (also a reader of Conversations with God).

How can I help her distinguish between these wrong and misleading New Age teachings? She has told me since she doesn't read the Bible and I do that she welcomes me "filling in the blanks" for her. But those are a LOT of blanks to fill in! I realize God needs to do the work here. I have prayed for her and I try to plant the seeds and nudge her in the right direction. I wonder at times if her difficulty in reading the Bible is maybe an effort to read it front to back like a story, which can be very difficult, and if she might benefit from trying individual scriptures that might help with certain things. So I have considered buying her a Bible and maybe highlighting scriptures that could be beneficial to her. I also told her she can pray and ask God to open her mind and heart to understanding the Bible when she does try to read it.

The other thing is she was baptised as an infant in the Catholic Church and she believes she already has the Holy Spirit and has been guided by it her whole life. I question that as I don't personally believe in infant baptism. I did in fact tell her that and explained that baptism is making a choice to follow Jesus, which an infant cannot do because they cannot understand yet. She has told me she has experienced grace first hand. I do believe she is being guided and called by God, which is why she feels this, as God is constantly calling all of us. But given her New Age beliefs and infant baptism I don't believe she actually has the Holy Spirit, and if she did have I think she would be guided in a whole new direction. I pushed the baptism issue a little bit with her since she states she is a believer, and she said she will think it over. I tend to share a bit and then back off when I feel she is feeling overwhelmed. At that time I just pray. And she always comes back with more questions. This sharing thing is a lot of work. I try to be gentle as I don't believe the whole "We are all sinners and will burn in hell without Jesus" draws people to Christianity.

Any suggestions on how to gently steer my friend away from New Age without making her feel like she is "wrong" or following pagan practices etc?

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

I have a good friend who I feel very called to share the Bible and the gospel with but I am not sure how to do this properly. She believes in many New Age things, right now most strongly influenced by "The Course in Miracles". I also used to be interested and involved in these things so I know exactly where she is coming from in her beliefs. She also had early childhood experiences in the Catholic Church and basically that whole experience left a sour taste for her regarding Christianity. I don't normally feel called to share the gospel with anyone I know, I think because I am very soft-natured and most of those I know are strong opinionated people who are clearly set in their ways, so rather than share with them I just pray for them.

But this friend is different. I feel very strongly that she has been seeking a relationship with God her whole life, but frequently been led in the wrong direction to finding Him. She is a very spiritual person and she is a decent person. But she has a hard time reconciling in her mind a loving God with an angry God and God's wrath or punishment. Recently though, she has opened up to me about the evil she sees in the world. A few years ago she told me she didn't believe evil really existed because she had never really seen or experienced anything she considered evil. So maybe God is opening her mind to that or maybe as things are getting worse in the world she is finally seeing it for itself. She uses words like "heathens" and talks about the battle between good and evil, God and Satan, and yet at the same time she turns back to the Course in Miracles relating things to man's ego. I have shared some scripture with her and I have told her about the prophecies in the Bible, many of which have already been fulfilled and many that are being fulfilled today. She seems open to learning about these things. But I don't know how to pull her away from the Course In Miracles and New Age teachings that she has come to believe in. I have suggested to her that she would benefit from reading the Bible and she says she tried in the past but didn't understand it (though I have read the Course in Miracles and that's not exactly an easy read either). She talks about praying to God daily and how her prayers are more like conversations (also a reader of Conversations with God).

How can I help her distinguish between these wrong and misleading New Age teachings? She has told me since she doesn't read the Bible and I do that she welcomes me "filling in the blanks" for her. But those are a LOT of blanks to fill in! I realize God needs to do the work here. I have prayed for her and I try to plant the seeds and nudge her in the right direction. I wonder at times if her difficulty in reading the Bible is maybe an effort to read it front to back like a story, which can be very difficult, and if she might benefit from trying individual scriptures that might help with certain things. So I have considered buying her a Bible and maybe highlighting scriptures that could be beneficial to her. I also told her she can pray and ask God to open her mind and heart to understanding the Bible when she does try to read it.

The other thing is she was baptised as an infant in the Catholic Church and she believes she already has the Holy Spirit and has been guided by it her whole life. I question that as I don't personally believe in infant baptism. I did in fact tell her that and explained that baptism is making a choice to follow Jesus, which an infant cannot do because they cannot understand yet. She has told me she has experienced grace first hand. I do believe she is being guided and called by God, which is why she feels this, as God is constantly calling all of us. But given her New Age beliefs and infant baptism I don't believe she actually has the Holy Spirit, and if she did have I think she would be guided in a whole new direction. I pushed the baptism issue a little bit with her since she states she is a believer, and she said she will think it over. I tend to share a bit and then back off when I feel she is feeling overwhelmed. At that time I just pray. And she always comes back with more questions. This sharing thing is a lot of work. I try to be gentle as I don't believe the whole "We are all sinners and will burn in hell without Jesus" draws people to Christianity.

Any suggestions on how to gently steer my friend away from New Age without making her feel like she is "wrong" or following pagan practices etc?

...just be there as a real friend, ready to listen and talk to her as she 'walks' through the new ideas she's exploring and experimenting with. Don't worry too much about nudging her to go in a specific spiritual direction, especially not according to some allotted (but unspoken) schedule. And maybe suggest to her that Christianity is actually bigger than just the Catholic tradition she grew up in .............. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

She is open to the Word ... so that's a very good thing. Perhaps a study with her "topically" on a topic(s) she has an interest in. It is good she has alot of questions, don't we all ;o) perhaps more organization of the conversation would help to keep focused. Sounds like there is conversation going on which is different than the two of you actually opening the Word of God and going through it together. The Spirit will lead.

Reactions: eternity75
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMO: Don't try to explain what is wrong with any of her beliefs. Presenting the good new of Jesus Christ doesn't require it.

God is in the process of trying to save people from the world. He is not also actively causing people to need to be saved. That is the result of sin. God did not create evil or suffering. Those all came about as the natural consequences of rejecting God, who was and is the only source of Life, health, and happiness. The reason there is so much evil in the world is precisely because people have been rejecting what God said is best for us for millenia. He sent Jesus to die for us. That is the ultimate testimony of God's attitude for us in the life and the other kinds of actions he takes (which are consistent with that).

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, (1 Timothy 4:4, 1984 NIV)

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17, 1984 NIV)

Some people need to understand the "bad news" to see the value of the "good news." Not becoming unified with Jesus means we stay "of the world." God is purifying her perspective if she can see all the evil in the world. We are all a part of that evil, unless we are reborn without an evil spiritual nature (born again in Christ). It is only through this that we separate from the world and are able to do good for the world, otherwise we are "one of them" (evildoers). Some people cannot see the latter, because it is hard for us to see the evil in ourselves, especially if we are trying to be good people, or if we think it is good enough to be good relative to others. I think the short response to that is that sin has tainted what seems normal to us and taints everything we do, regardless of what we are trying to do.

The gospel, or "good news," is the incarnation of Jesus and all his life—what it all meant, especially regarding his death and resurrection—and why those things happened and what the consequences were/are. IMO, if you focus on truths about God and his love, you will convey some of the most important things to her. Telling her about what you have read in Scripture (book knowledge) may not have all the effect you want, which is why personal testimony can be so powerful. You and God and what you have received and how it has affected you is wonderful testimony, including sharing your own reasons for why you believe.

• Agree
Reactions: eternity75
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,315.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you have read the Course in Miracles to see where she is at?
If she truly is into New Age spirituality, The Course in Miracles is the best place for her to be. Though personally I wouldn't place it into "New Age" category. It's more Christ like than even what the Church teaches, and without the Dogma and Beliefs that burden Christianity. And I'm guessing that aspect of the Course in Miracles is what's calling her.

Upvote 0

eternity75

Sep 12, 2015
✟17,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
She is open to the Word ... so that's a very good thing. Perhaps a study with her "topically" on a topic(s) she has an interest in. It is good she has alot of questions, don't we all ;o) perhaps more organization of the conversation would help to keep focused. Sounds like there is conversation going on which is different than the two of you actually opening the Word of God and going through it together. The Spirit will lead.

eleos1954 Yes we have never sat down together and opened up the Bible to review it together. A big part of that reason is because she moved away (I live in Canada and she now lives in the US) so the majority of our "convos" take place on messenger. I share videos with her on youtube that contain information I think is valuable for her about things happening in the world today and Biblical truths. I chat with her and answer questions she has, as best I can, whenever they come up. I would love to review the Bible with her and even go through various topics with her to show her there are different ways to read the Bible and any different answers to different questions a person may have. I have also shared my personal experiences with her such as answers to prayer that came almost immediately after asking, feeling called by God and hearing His voice at times, etc. She thinks all of these things are wonderful and she shares her experiences with me as well. I guess when it comes down to it, the real work is up to God, and up to her willingness to hear His call and feel a need to act upon it.

Upvote 0

eternity75

Sep 12, 2015
✟17,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
IMO: Don't try to explain what is wrong with any of her beliefs. Presenting the good new of Jesus Christ doesn't require it.

God is in the process of trying to save people from the world. He is not also actively causing people to need to be saved. That is the result of sin. God did not create evil or suffering. Those all came about as the natural consequences of rejecting God, who was and is the only source of Life, health, and happiness. The reason there is so much evil in the world is precisely because people have been rejecting what God said is best for us for millenia. He sent Jesus to die for us. That is the ultimate testimony of God's attitude for us in the life and the other kinds of actions he takes (which are consistent with that).

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, (1 Timothy 4:4, 1984 NIV)

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17, 1984 NIV)

Some people need to understand the "bad news" to see the value of the "good news." Not becoming unified with Jesus means we stay "of the world." God is purifying her perspective if she can see all the evil in the world. We are all a part of that evil, unless we are reborn without an evil spiritual nature (born again in Christ). It is only through this that we separate from the world and are able to do good for the world, otherwise we are "one of them" (evildoers). Some people cannot see the latter, because it is hard for us to see the evil in ourselves, especially if we are trying to be good people, or if we think it is good enough to be good relative to others. I think the short response to that is that sin has tainted what seems normal to us and taints everything we do, regardless of what we are trying to do.

The gospel, or "good news," is the incarnation of Jesus and all his life—what it all meant, especially regarding his death and resurrection—and why those things happened and what the consequences were/are. IMO, if you focus on truths about God and his love, you will convey some of the most important things to her. Telling her about what you have read in Scripture (book knowledge) may not have all the effect you want, which is why personal testimony can be so powerful. You and God and what you have received and how it has affected you is wonderful testimony, including sharing your own reasons for why you believe.

Thanks for this. I think you nailed exactly what I am having a problem with in that my friend sees the evil in others but does not really believe that we are all evil and so therefore what is there to be saved if you are not one of "the evil ones"? This is what I am trying to show her in bits and pieces (so as not to overwhelm). I do share my own testimony and personal experiences with her as well, and I know God works in His own time so I have to have faith in that. I see what you mean by not telling her that what she believes is wrong and instead focus on sharing God's love for us and the good news of the gospel.

Upvote 0

eternity75

Sep 12, 2015
✟17,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering if you have read the Course in Miracles to see where she is at?
If she truly is into New Age spirituality, The Course in Miracles is the best place for her to be. Though personally I wouldn't place it into "New Age" category. It's more Christ like than even what the Church teaches, and without the Dogma and Beliefs that burden Christianity. And I'm guessing that aspect of the Course in Miracles is what's calling her.

diamberth Yes I have read the Course in Miracles myself as I used to be interested in many New Age teachings. The Course in Miracles is not the Word of God and if you delve into it and really compare with scripture, a lot of it actually goes completely against much of what God's Word teaches us. I remember people telling me before I read it that it's like Jesus is speaking to you directly when reading it, and I understand where they get this from, but it is false doctrine. Satan can find many ways to fool us, one needs to be very careful when picking up books that claim to relate to God and Christian principles that they are being led towards God's Truth, and not away from it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If she was baptized as a Catholic and believes she is lead by the Holy Spirit, then why challenge that? I was baptized as a child as a Methodist and infant baptism is widespread among some Christians, including many here on this forum. Saying that she can't possibly be saved and that her experience of grace can't be real because she was baptized as a child sounds like a ridiculous leap of logic and I'd question whether you really have all that much charity towards your fellow Christians on this forum, if you really believe that.

Furthermore, not everybody feels called to attend a church, for various reasons. Perhaps some people have outrgrown organized religion, they've "graduated", and they don't feel like their presence in church is edifying.

She sounds like a beautiful person that is rare in today's world. You should just focus on being her friend, and pray for her, and not try to convert her to a particular POV. That's the Holy Spirit's job. By all means, you can talk about your faith as you experience it, but be sincere and non-manipulative in your relationships.

A Course in Miracles sounds far fetched but a few years ago a Presbyterian woman wrote a daily devotional from the perspective of Jesus speaking to her: it's not considered "New Age", and yet her book is widely popular with some evangelicals (unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the book but I've encountered it before).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
eleos1954 Yes we have never sat down together and opened up the Bible to review it together. A big part of that reason is because she moved away (I live in Canada and she now lives in the US) so the majority of our "convos" take place on messenger. I share videos with her on youtube that contain information I think is valuable for her about things happening in the world today and Biblical truths. I chat with her and answer questions she has, as best I can, whenever they come up. I would love to review the Bible with her and even go through various topics with her to show her there are different ways to read the Bible and any different answers to different questions a person may have. I have also shared my personal experiences with her such as answers to prayer that came almost immediately after asking, feeling called by God and hearing His voice at times, etc. She thinks all of these things are wonderful and she shares her experiences with me as well. I guess when it comes down to it, the real work is up to God, and up to her willingness to hear His call and feel a need to act upon it.

Don't know if video and/or voicing through the computer(s) could be an option .... don't know if there is a free video conferencing one out there? Distances certainly does make communication more difficult. Even so, perhaps if you encourage the topical approach then the conversation no matter how it takes place stays focused. Sounds like the Holy Spirit is really working on/in her and she is willing ... praise the Lord!

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,315.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
diamberth Yes I have read the Course in Miracles myself as I used to be interested in many New Age teachings. The Course in Miracles is not the Word of God and if you delve into it and really compare with scripture, a lot of it actually goes completely against much of what God's Word teaches us. I remember people telling me before I read it that it's like Jesus is speaking to you directly when reading it, and I understand where they get this from, but it is false doctrine. Satan can find many ways to fool us, one needs to be very careful when picking up books that claim to relate to God and Christian principles that they are being led towards God's Truth, and not away from it.
I understand that's what you believe. But...if you truly want to reach her, I don't believe that is the approach to take. That's because the Course in Miracles brings to the for front a deep level and depth of Love, Light, Forgiveness and Openness that you would have over come. And quite honestly that depth and level of understand of those Heart/Soul centered things is something I have not experienced in a Christian setting. So I don't know how you would go about doing something that's talked about, but not really very deep in the Christian DNA. Yet I'd wager that she is finding it in the Course of Miracles. And that, in my honest opinion, is what you would have to over come with any honestly on your part in your attempt to reach her.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand that's what you believe. But...if you truly want to reach her, I don't believe that is the approach to take. That's because the Course in Miracles brings to the for front a deep level and depth of Love, Light, Forgiveness and Openness that you would have over come. And quite honestly that depth and level of understand of those Heart/Soul centered things is something I have not experienced in a Christian setting. So I don't know how you would go about doing something that's talked about, but not really very deep in the Christian DNA. Yet I'd wager that she is finding it in the Course of Miracles. And that, in my honest opinion, is what you would have to over come with any honestly on your part in your attempt to reach her.

You constantly engage in subtle put-downs of Christians, despite having very limited experiences of the breadth of Christian spirituality and coloring your backhanded remarks with pretentiousness. This is hardly makes you a good source of advice.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I was going to suggest littering her property with Bible tracts, but since she lives far away, maybe send her long emails full of random one liners from scripture. Make sure to bold and underline random words and phrases and don't waste time with punctuation or spacing.

If you think those ideas are stupid (and they are), you could try just asking her how her spiritual journey is doing. If she's open to talking about it, maybe mention how your faith enhances your life?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,315.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
You constantly engage in subtle put-downs of Christians, despite having very limited experiences of the breadth of Christian spirituality and coloring your backhanded remarks with pretentiousness. This is hardly makes you a good source of advice.
Not knowing me or my background, you attack the messenger and not the message. With the OP, what is it that attracts eternity75's friend to the Course of Miracles? What does he have to overcome to reach her? Does he have the spiritual insight to do so? Is he honestly from a Heart centered place looking at what she sees in the Course of Miracles over the Bible? In conversation will they be talking pass each other because of differing realities? I'm raising those issues, if you think it's a knock on Christianity, I can't help that. There may be something in what I say worth listening to that may help eternity75 in his understanding of His friend. It's his choice, he can listen to a person who has had personal experience, or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since she claims to be spiritual, ask her if there are good spirits and bad spirits; then ask her who is behind each one? God or Satan?

Point out to her that A Course in Miracles was written by an occlt practice called automatic handwriting; and some believe that is what also gave us songs like Stairway to Heaven.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My seminary instructor (my only seminary class) in response to a question about how much we should learn about other religions (to help with evangelism and discipling) said (roughly recounted) that he thought what was good was to focus on the study the Bible and the result would be easy identification of error.

I adopted this approach had have found it highly effective and wouldn't have it any other way. Even now so many years later I don't intentionally read supposed truth or wisdom and I'm still glad for it. As a result, I am ignorant of much good human thought, however I am also highly ignorant of even slightly twisted thinking from others.

As for those who seemed to be important [the leaders of the Jerusalem church, vv. 1-2]—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance—those men added nothing to my message. (Galatians 2:6, 1984 NIV)

This goes against some contemporary thinking, such as what is required reading for most theology Ph.D.s. While it is possible for some people to remember which textbook they got a good idea or truth from, it isn't possible to completely keep it from affecting one's conceptualization of truth and what is correct. Mind you that it matters a lot that God did not call me to be scholarly and broadly informed about things apart from himself and human nature. I cannot judge what God wanted/wants for other people.

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (John 16:13, 1984 NIV)

What is the need for other sources when God will guide you to all truth? I have long since had all the questions I had about God answered. And my source of information was the Bible and the Holy Spirit, (mostly) not affected by a human's interpretation (although it is affected by Bible translators, though I do go to more literal translations and the original languages for some things). To be sure I have missed some human writing that would have been helpful, but I haven't missed even a speck of truth connected to God's calling on my life.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, (Ephesians 5:25-26, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thousand thanks for that AV,
Thanks!

You do realize that America is blessed because of the Abrahamic Covenant, do you not?

Would to God more countries would follow suit and love the Jews with all their hearts!

• Haha
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0