How to evangelize intellectually strong atheists?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is intended to be a question of general applicability, but in all honesty, I'm asking inspired by concrete YouTube channels that promote atheism, most notably, CosmicSkeptic and RationalityRules. These are examples of a special category of atheists that stand out for their remarkable understanding of philosophy, logical thinking, and skepticism, as well as their outstanding debating skills, even against renowned Christian apologists. Just to give you an idea, Alex O'Connor, the founder of CosmicSkeptic, has debated William Lane Craig, Frank Turek, Jonathan McLatchie, and several other defenders of the faith.

When it comes to atheists of this caliber, I see no possible way of evangelizing them through purely intellectual/argumentative means. Not even the best apologists have managed to do so. If I were asked my honest opinion, I would say that the only thing that can turn them around would be a supernatural, "road to Damascus" kind of experience. I see no other way.

But leaving my personal opinions aside, I would like to know if anyone has personal experience or a more informed opinion on how to evangelize highly intellectual and well-spoken atheists and skeptics. How should we go about winning strong atheists for Christ? Or is this category of atheists simply a lost cause and the only we can do is to throw up our hands, leave them alone and hope for the best?

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think you should leave them be. They don't want to hear from you, don't care what you have to say, and really won't appreciate you trying to shove your beliefs down their throats.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you should leave them be. They don't want to hear from you, don't care what you have to say, and really won't appreciate you trying to shove your beliefs down their throats.

Fair enough. So would you agree that they are lost causes and there is no hope for them? Although, I wouldn't say that they are not interested in what you have to say necessarily. If you have something valuable to say, many atheists are very open-minded and willing to hear. That doesn't mean that they will buy everything you say if you don't give good enough reasons to convince them.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-

Why are you focused on atheist, when your next door neighbor may be looking for Eternal Life. He just needs a believer to tell him how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Aren't atheists equally in need of salvation? Aren't all souls equally important?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Aren't atheists equally in need of salvation? Aren't all souls equally important?
-
Every single person born, God has taken away the sin of the world so anyone is eligible to receive God's free gift.

But why focus on one or two atheist, who may or may not become a believer. Do you see this as a big win if you were to bring an atheist to belief. More so than bringing to belief the people who are looking for Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
Every single person born, God has taken away the sin of the world so anyone is eligible to receive God's free gift.

But why focus on one or two atheist, who may or may not become a believer. Do you see this as a big win if you were to bring an atheist to belief. More so than bringing to belief the people who are looking for Eternal Life.

The impact would be tremendous. Imagine if a top atheist YouTuber converts to Christianity. Imagine how powerful that testimony would be. Imagine the ripple effects it would have on atheists around the world.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to know if anyone has personal experience or a more informed opinion on how to evangelize highly intellectual and well-spoken atheists and skeptics. How should we go about winning strong atheists for Christ?
Hello TruthSeek3r, first of all, you should probably set aside the idea of "winning" such folks for Christ as the goal, and consider the planting and watering of "seeds" as your goal instead (unless you sense that they want to hear more, of course).

Many/most of our atheist friends believe that we Christians are nothing more than yahoos and ninnies (I mean, from their perspective, how could we be otherwise, considering what we believe?).

On the flipside, few are more confident than atheists are about their own intelligence AND understanding of the world/life, so it's probably best to ask them leading questions and let them come to their own conclusions (instead of waiting for them to begin to give serious consideration to what we have to say, which will never happen until they admit to themselves that we may not be the yahoos/ninnies that they believe us to be ;)).

Finally, there's a book that you might want to get that details how to approach evangelism/apologetics in this way (by using leading questions instead of stating facts) called Tactics, 10th Anniversary Edition: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions: Koukl, Gregory, Lee Strobel: Amazon.com: Books

I believe author Greg Koukl has a YouTube channel as well, but his book will no doubt be your best resource.

I know a number of atheists who are now believers, several over the last 20+ years who left atheism for the Christian faith right here at CFcom :) In fact, I have the testimony of one of them saved somewhere. When I find it, I'll post it or PM it to you.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - as with all witnessing/evangelism, being honest (personally) is paramount (people know when we are being dishonest), as is speaking the truth .. in love! As is prayer!!

Spurgeon - sinners leap unwarned.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to minister to someone like that. I didn’t have intellectual debates or try to win a future apologist. I saw him as one in need of a Savior who couldn’t see Him. I didn’t speculate why or psychoanalyze him.

I loved him. Prayed for him. Solicited others to do the same. And I showed him Christ. I became a light for him. I shared my journey. My struggles and imperfections. And he listened and softened over time.

I don’t need to make the slam dunk. Most people aren’t influenced by one person’s efforts. It’s a collective gain. What mattered most was making a difference and doing my part so the next could do the same.

Love is the answer. Now and always.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are different "categories" of atheists and most of them are fine to talk to. The category you talk about here is "militant atheists", and they have one thing in common: they don't want to agree to any argument you come up with.

I used to watch CosmicSkeptic as well as TheAtheistExperience, and while they both claim to be "scientifically, logically and objective" they miss fundamental logic - refusing to admit to it. Watch CosmicSkeptic's video about free will for example. It refutes the idea of free will superficially, but following through the logical steps and conclusions we end up with: a free will.

In arguments with militant atheists it often ends at "this is logical" - "no, this is logical", and it leads nowhere. You can tell them "the Big Bang is not a sufficient explanation for the universe because it does not remove the need for a first-cause" and they'll reply with something like "you claim God has no cause at all, so what's your point". You can't argue with God's supernaturality when all they allow is naturalism. They reject God by principle and don't even let him into the paradigm.
If you are honest with yourself then logical thinking will tell you that naturalism is not logical. Militant atheists don't allow themselves to get to that conclusion. Naturalism is their basic assumption and the thing they protect at all costs.
You could as well talk to a brick wall.

You cannot break such a denial with good reasoning or powerful words. The only one who can soften their heart is God. If you wish for a militant atheist to be open about the truth then pray for him and don't anger him by talking about God to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is intended to be a question of general applicability, but in all honesty, I'm asking inspired by concrete YouTube channels that promote atheism, most notably, CosmicSkeptic and RationalityRules. These are examples of a special category of atheists that stand out for their remarkable understanding of philosophy, logical thinking, and skepticism, as well as their outstanding debating skills, even against renowned Christian apologists. Just to give you an idea, Alex O'Connor, the founder of CosmicSkeptic, has debated William Lane Craig, Frank Turek, Jonathan McLatchie, and several other defenders of the faith.

When it comes to atheists of this caliber, I see no possible way of evangelizing them through purely intellectual/argumentative means. Not even the best apologists have managed to do so. If I were asked my honest opinion, I would say that the only thing that can turn them around would be a supernatural, "road to Damascus" kind of experience. I see no other way.

But leaving my personal opinions aside, I would like to know if anyone has personal experience or a more informed opinion on how to evangelize highly intellectual and well-spoken atheists and skeptics. How should we go about winning strong atheists for Christ? Or is this category of atheists simply a lost cause and the only we can do is to throw up our hands, leave them alone and hope for the best?

There is no such thing
1) do you believe Bible is real and wisdom from God or not ?
a) if u don't you alredy lost and you aren't Christian
b) you do believe

so you choose B
Bible says Atheists are fools and Know God exists but surpress the knowledge and works of HS because of thier wicked ways. When Atheist says there is not enought evidence he simply lies because God from Bible said there is enought evidence and that he knows about God existing.

The time you start arguing about this with Atheist you alredy lost thats why you don't argue with Atheists.
Moreover it's impossible to get saved unless HS drags the person to God first

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

I think it is worth noting three things, generally.

1. They cannot be right. Remember that the existence of God is TRUE. The fact that they cannot see it is not relevant to the facts. There is no need to be intimidated by their words and intelligence, nor certainly, by their scorn, because, frankly, they are wrong. That may not help you win debates with them, but that isn't really the goal here.

2. They are not quite intellectually honest. (Romans 1 --they are without excuse) In their debates, they demand proof, and use great words and concepts to disguise, somewhere along the lines, a logical leap, a slip in logic, a sloughing of terminology, sleight of hand with concepts. They say they want proof, but as CS Lewis says, “When the author walks onto the stage, the play is over” What they really want is to be convinced.

3. Proof will not do the job. Salvation is not by the intellect, nor is faith, though the intellect is certainly involved in our response to what God has done. Salvation is the work of God alone.

One of my favorite things to tell them is usually right off the start, without antagonism --that to me it makes more sense that God should exist than it does that I should exist. Yet here I am! Often, I am regarded with respect right there. It is when I get argumentative, and my ignorance of what THEY are talking about that drives their antagonism.

They usually don't pursue the source of the chain of causation with me. When they do, I try to be ready as I can --but I usually mean to make them do the work --I will say, "infinite regression" doesn't make sense to me --can you show me how it does?" and continue from there, because all they really have is words. They have, for example, appealed to Quantum Mechanics, but when they try to explain it to me, I can ask for more information to help me understand what they are saying, or I can tell them something honest, like, "well, that doesn't add up to me", or "that sounds like circular reasoning", or "...mere speculation". I tell them to convince me. In other words, I try to let them convince themselves. In the end, all they have to hold onto is "this sounds hopeful for atheism".

--Well, I wish all that was true, but fact is, I'm not very good at all that, though I try. But it is like dealing with a scoffer who doesn't care about his anti-social antagonism and disrespect --what I do, I try to be honest and represent Christ, but in the end what I say will be used either to convince or to harden them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Fair enough. So would you agree that they are lost causes and there is no hope for them? Although, I wouldn't say that they are not interested in what you have to say necessarily. If you have something valuable to say, many atheists are very open-minded and willing to hear. That doesn't mean that they will buy everything you say if you don't give good enough reasons to convince them.

I don't say they are "lost causes", but there is no starting point at least right now to convince them of your argument.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regarding the internet web site atheists, I would suggest limiting your interaction with them to praying for them and to asking the occasional question.

The main question to ask is ' what evidence would you accept that proves there is a God?'

This tests there honesty and integrity.
Miraculous evidence exists, resurrection of Jesus or John 9, the man born blind, for example.

Problem of evil, well what is their explanation?

What caused the universe to begin, most reasonable explanation involves the supernatural!

Do they rule out the possibility of there being supernatural, if they do they are being closed minded and are not totally honest.

As has been said, we should be concentrating on our neighbours at home, work etc where the witness of our lives is an additional challenge, why do atheists live moral lives?

We have a reason to, they don't.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Trying to bring someone to faith is not something that you can do alone, it requires the Holy Spirit working in the heart of the person and at least an open mind on their part. Here is a resource that can help you provide scientifically verified evidence for the existence of God. It is academically sound and not exclusively Catholic, take a look see if it can help you. Articles & Videos - Magis Center

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

I would told them my own experience how Jesus changed my life. But you know, I would rather leave them be and talk to someone who has ears to hear. Some people are destined not to be saved, in the end everything is in our God’s hands. And that’s the way it should be.

Upvote 0