How to evangelise to others in bars and clubs?

WOMSteve

Jul 9, 2009
✟7,698.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For the record, having a drink is not sinning.

That sounds like something someone who is not willing to do whatever it takes to be a faithful witness, would say. You let sinners see you, a so-called Christian, having cocktails in a bar and see how much repentance and converting you see. This is a foolish thought to me. I used to think this way before I was soundly saved through repentance, not my "sinner's prayer" I had put my faith in before. We must be careful with the souls of others and our actions can certainly cause people to go to hell.

• Agree
Reactions: Jerri
Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been to bars and they have been absolutely fine. Drinking alcohol is not sinning. Some Christians might believe it is, but there is plenty of scripture to back up that it is drinking in excess that is not appropriate. If that were the case all Christians would be drinking plain grape juice for the Eucharist.

Social drinking and I mean like 1 drink is a perfectly good way to open doors with people. I've gone to beer parties when I was in college and didn't drink. I've also gone to bars with coworkers and only had one alcoholic beverage. The people who abuse it, like I said, will not be drunk early in the evening. If you go right after work you will more likely than not get professionals. If a bar by itself will detract then go to a restaurant that has a bar and go up and sit at it.

Reactions: GigageiTsula
Upvote 0

WOMSteve

Jul 9, 2009
✟7,698.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If that were the case all Christians would be drinking plain grape juice for the Eucharist.

For the record grape juice is all I've ever seen in church in my 39 years.

Social drinking and I mean like 1 drink is a perfectly good way to open doors with people.

Forgive me if this sounds a little harsh but it's out of concern: That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Let me tell you what they're thinking while you're talking to them..."this self-righteous person is trying to tell me I need Jesus. Look at her, she's no better than me. Look at her drinking and associating with us "sinners". She's the one who needs spiritual guidance."

It sounds like there is nothing that will change your mind on drinking. You must understand, however, alcohol now is a much-marketed vice that is associated with almost every bad thing you can think of. You should understand the dangers of your witness if you're doing what you say. What you're saying is very concerning.

You're giving the non-believers and the false converts a false sense of security by drinking with them. I cannot imagine after having truly repented and been saved, not dipped or sprinkled as a child, risking my witness by venturing into a bar room and having a highball. I drank plenty before which probably leads to my concern now.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JolieHeart

~ Steadfast ~
Site Supporter
Nov 17, 2006
USA
✟28,067.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bars are associated with a multitude of sins ~ drunkenness, immoral behavior, criminal activity, things which don't focus on God ~ but as pointed out above, it is the sinners who are in need

prayers and best wishes to all those who venture out into this turf

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My dad was an alcoholic. I am not saying this unfounded. Those who use grape juice in the Eucharist are the ones that probably also believe it is just symbolic.

Like I said before, Jesus associated with sinners as well. I am one who has seen walls come down by saying, "yes, I'll go with you if you are having dinner with wine" rather than "I don't drink because I believe it's sinning". Because the second phrase is completely unbiblical. When people think you are too high and mighty to be around them they won't be around you and then you've lost that chance.

Like I said. It depends on the bar and the time of day that you go on what impression you'd give. I've gone to plenty of bars in the past to listen to one of my clients (band) but don't stay past 10 or 11pm and don't drink (because of the simple fact that it's so expensive). I've also gone with former classmates to restaurant bars and had one drink with them and that's it. That's when the door is opened...after the one drink. Because if you don't have more they will ask why or you can say why when the waiter asks if you want another. I'm sorry but you can't witness if you are just hanging out with your own Christian friends.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WOMSteve

Jul 9, 2009
✟7,698.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Like I said before, Jesus associated with sinners as well. I am one who has seen walls come down by saying, "yes, I'll go with you if you are having dinner with wine" rather than "I don't drink because I believe it's sinning". Because the second phrase is completely unbiblical. When people think you are too high and mighty to be around them they won't be around you and then you've lost that chance.

Jesus did associate with sinners, however, did not act as sinners.

Rather than saying "I don't drink because it's a sin" don't say anything at all. Just don't order wine.

By the way, my friends who knew me before are the very ones now who are drawn to me and asking spiritual questions and asking my advice (which blows me away since they knew the dispicable sinner I was before). They are also the ones who respect me enough to not blaspheme, curse and abuse alcohol around me. I've done nothing or said nothing to warrant those responses other than being born again a new creature in Christ.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lovingod02

Aug 31, 2009
✟7,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was reading through this thread curious and wanting to hear about great ideas of sharing Jesus with others in bars and clubs but read a whole bunch of other stuff instead. Do you all realize that satan has caused us to get distracted and unfocused here?

as for the original question of sharing Jesus in a bar or nightclub, my friend and I have shared at bars and bar/nightclub before. it's no different from sharing anywhere else. in fact, i think people at bars are alot more talkative and you can easily get into a conversation with others. we usually order a nacho and unsweetened ice tea. i've ordered milk before just to throw people into a loop :) i think it's easy to start a conversation since people already are talkative, the thing is directing the conversation into things of eternal value, going from earthly talks to spiritual talks. We have seen the Holy Spirit do great things, sobering people up real quick. but of course, we've also had the angry drunks and just like in any other environment, some people are not going to be ready. But yeah, be bold and pray that the Lord would prepare your heart and other people's heart and that He would move through you to bring glory to Himself. Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0
K

Kuraisto

Just curious why you are choosing this atmosphere to reach out in? There is no golden rule that people who establish bars and nightclubs aren't Christians to begin with. I go to bars sometimes, as do my friends, and we're all Christians.

I know this post is late, but I feel the need to answer. Bars and clubs are the epitome of the type of environment that leads to destruction. Perhaps you're going to a bar where no one gets wasted and cruises, but I have not seen any such place. Even Christians can be tempted and commit sin.

Upvote 0

angzter86

JackHammer12
Oct 6, 2009
Davao City, Philippines
✟15,146.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There was a Church who organizes night parties, it will start out with dancing, drinks (non-alcoholic), loud music, disco light, and people usually get curious and will try to ask. They will be invited and entertained as this is a free for all party. Before long, the music will be stopped momentarily to give way evangelism and altar call after that. Then it will be back to wholesome partying mode but this time in celebration for the new believers.

what do you think?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hardcore

Being Born Again
Sep 30, 2004
London
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
I was reading through this thread curious and wanting to hear about great ideas of sharing Jesus with others in bars and clubs but read a whole bunch of other stuff instead. Do you all realize that satan has caused us to get distracted and unfocused here?

I agree,was quite sad to read of petty arguments about alcohol. Reminds of Romans 14, passing judgement and all that.

Where would Jesus have us go today to evangelize? To the blind and dying who congregate in night clubs, gay bars & brothels? Or to the more respectable parts of town where the good church folk meet?

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree,was quite sad to read of petty arguments about alcohol. Reminds of Romans 14, passing judgement and all that.

Where would Jesus have us go today to evangelize? To the blind and dying who congregate in night clubs, gay bars & brothels? Or to the more respectable parts of town where the good church folk meet?

Nah, he'd be rejected there too.

Upvote 0

Way2Go

Jul 27, 2008
on the way
✟15,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
9 out of 10 people in bars are just backsliding christians (from my experience) i've even backslid and got drunk and talked to about Jesus inside bars plenty of times. the truth is what it is most peolpe will agree with that but not want to change right then!
and may even tempt you if you're not careful or drink too much yourself.
in fact every time i go into a bar for a drink, one of my favorite quotes is "i love Jesus, but i drink a little! - not funny i know!
hope this helps

Upvote 0