How to deal with Fear of death

tuantran

Dec 16, 2009
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My dad and mother inlaw passed away five years ago of Cancer. For some reason everytime someone mention about somebody dianosed of cancer, I start thinking what happen if this happy to me? who is going to taking care of my two young kids? I got really scare, fear, sadness and worry. From this fruit, I reallize that I am not truely trust in God yet. Does people truely belief in God has this fear at all? What would you do when this fear come up?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2010
✟7,705.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My dad and mother inlaw passed away five years ago of Cancer. For some reason everytime someone mention about somebody dianosed of cancer, I got really scare, fear and worry. From this fruit, I reallize that I am not truely trust in God yet. Does people truely belief in God has this fear at all? What would you do when this fear come up?

It is understandable to fear and worry about death, but you just have to remind yourself that it is only a transitionary phase from this life to the next. Instead of fearing and worrying about death, I usually worry about whether or not the person is going to be in His Kingdom or the alternative.

Trust in God's wisdom, though. He is just and in His justice, He does what is right. If I were you, I would pray for God to give you the courage to face death and to trust in His decisions and reason.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One of my favorite verses:

John: 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."

Upvote 0

toolite

Jul 1, 2008
Orlando, Florida
✟5,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My dad and mother inlaw passed away five years ago of Cancer. For some reason everytime someone mention about somebody dianosed of cancer, I start thinking what happen if this happy to me? who is going to taking care of my two young kids? I got really scare, fear, sadness and worry. From this fruit, I reallize that I am not truely trust in God yet. Does people truely belief in God has this fear at all? What would you do when this fear come up?

I trust God and I have fears but, normally they don't stay with me long because I quickly remind myself of what my Father can do and has done. It's a process. I just think if you have your check reguarly then don't allow the enemy to worry you.. The enemy always attempts to run you into the ground so we must quickly remind the enemy who our Father is.
Stay Blessed!

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does people truly belief in God has this fear at all?

when we learn to love and trust God Death or the fear of death loses it's hold on us. Now that is not to say we will not still worry about the responsibilities we will leave behind. (Like your Kids) Proper planning and things like life insurance will help with burden your death may place on your family.

What would you do when this fear come up?
I would ask God to take that "fear" from me and replace it with a feeling of assurance that no matter what happens to me that He will take care of my family.

Upvote 0

hlaltimus

Nov 4, 2005
Arizona
✟1,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luke 12:32 - "Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."

When in subjection to a monarch, your safety and prosperity cannot exceed the power and resources of that monarch himself, and in the case of the true believer under the government of Christ our Shepherd King, the available power and resources are beyond all human computation.

Use any and all means to come under the care, authority and dominion of this lustrous, noble and selflessly sacrificial Shepherd of the sheep. Then, even if he leads you through crumbling worlds of havoc, you are as safe as the Shepherd is, whom you cling to lovingly and trustingly as your sole hope of safety. Remember good Mary the sister of Martha, seated at Christ's feet and gazing upward in subjection to his instructive wisdom: Cling to this Shepherd with a progressively tightening grasp that even death itself cannot separate, and you will be as safe as the one whom you apprehend and follow. As long as Christ is with you in the boat, given tempest or hurricane, if you sink then he must sink also, and this will never happen as "death no longer has dominion over him", and therefore never over you if you are one with him. You will live a life victorious over the threat of death, and then eventually in physical death, you will spiritually bypass eternal or spiritual death and never even see such a dolorous fate.

John 11:25 - "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' "

Under the govenment of this King and Shepherd, all of heaven's limitless resources will be yours for the sake of the Shepherd whom you faithfully follow, no matter where he leads or what he commands. If and when you do physically die, yet though you die you shall live, (resurrection,) and your spiritual person will never die at all in this or any other world, as this particular thoughtful Shepherd has already visited the domain of death for you, and exempted all his beloved sheep from it forever. "...shall never die."

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

What have you not done that you want to do before you die? I find immense comfort in having done, been, seen enough. Sure there are still things I want to see and do, but if my lights were gonna get snuffed seven minutes from now .. . I wouldn't feel like I hadn't had enough. There is peace in that.

Two young kids is something I can relate to. There are all kinds of things I want for my kids and to do with my kids, to teach them and show them. I reckon that I surround myself with people I trust to carry out my wishes for how they'll be raised if I were to die. On the otherhand, I think of them as a serious obligation. When it comes to protecting myself, it isn't so much about me as it is about protecting my children's father. I always have a firearm & other tools (cellphone, tactical light, knife & additional gear) on my person, I am trained in multiple hand to hand arts and I exercise a significant degree of situational awareness. I always wear my seatbelt, have appropriate safety equipment and drive responsibly. I am, in short, better equipped and trained than most people . . to stay alive.

I trust in God that my purpose is to serve Him.
The Way of the Servant is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim. We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Way of the Servant. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.
and
There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything.
From the first chapter of my favorite book of wisdom. Death will come & nobody gets out of life alive, why sweat it. I think the book has it right where it says that people who are not resolved to die inevitably die poorly. When you are resolved to die beforehand, it can not take you in an unseemly way.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Death is a cruel interruption into God's world. We should not overlook that. As Christians we know death does not end life and we will be with the Divine family forever. Nevertheless, because death originates from the dark realm, we can be genuinely uneasy about how we will die (painful, lingering, quick etc?) and for people with loved ones not being there with them seems a terrible wrench.

So, our faith does not mean we accept death blithely, but in hope.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

GaryP

Apr 28, 2009
✟8,966.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private
Don't Worry, It is common to fear death. That's why God made us fearful so we do not
do foolish things. Concentrate on the here and now with you children. If you are worried
by Cancer make it a habit to get check-ups. They have a lot of Cancer screening.
On the Cross, Jesus said it is finished. So your fears and worries are finished. And again it is not about you. It is about the Father in Heaven's Act. Jesus did what He must and the Father did His Act.
So do not worry about your trust in God. Remember it is Finished. If you can see into the Temple
in Mark 15:38 you will know it Will be a Safe.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is also natural to think death is near, after people close to you have faced it. Friends might expect you to get over it sooner than your brain is ready to. Natural instincts see danger, and keep you ready for danger coming again. It's built in.

And it's good that you are worried for your kids. Pray that God will protect the family, and continue to shelter then no matter what comes up. That way, you are preparing for the worst in an area where you have very little control. God does the work.

Perfect love casts out fear. Use this love you have for your children, to ask God for good futures for them.

Lord, use their years together well. Bind the family in love and safety. Surround them with people that can pick up the pieces if anything happens. Make all the preparations for what life will bring them later on.
Thank you for blessing Tuantran with kids who bring energy, love, and happiness into his life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To me, death means instant transformation. If you can imagine that your mind cannot record how many hours have passed by while you sleep and when you wake up it seems that sleep only lasted for a few minutes. I believe that the moment you die is when you are transformed instantly, in a blink of an eye, in a new body in heaven. I believe God is very swift with creation as he is swift in creating the universe and planet Earth in seven days, so is he swift in creating our humans Adam and Eve from Earth's dust - in just minutes. Accepting Christ first is your ticket to heaven. Without the acceptance of Christ can mean no entry into the kingdom of God. Athiests prefer evidence of God or Jesus first and then acceptance: this is disobedience as Adam and Eve have done. I don't believe Adam and Eve would be sent to hell because of one single mistake. Accepting Jesus means all of your sinful mistakes are forgiven but our memories of our experiences of sin keep us honest and obedient when we are together in heaven. Death does not exist once you are in heaven.

Upvote 0

English Lad

He is our saviour.
Jan 17, 2010
Jolly old England
✟15,241.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The fear of death is natural in humans but i ask you not to fear death, Death is not then end for us all we will all go on into the next life. Thank god for that.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I fear death personally only because of the physical suffering which I might go through, but I have no fear of what comes after that because I have assurance through my Faith and by the power of the Holy Spirit of where I am headed next.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
Prepare for such an event to the best of your ability with Wills, Insurance Policies, talking it out with your children so that they are also prepared for such an event, and trust God that He will handle it when you are gone. Not that it will happen... but just in case. When you have done all that you, relax and enjoy your time here on earth with all those around you. You are to enjoy each and every day with God.

This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it... Praise Him for the gift of life.

Upvote 0

LBP

GONE
Apr 5, 2010
✟910.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how popular this answer will be, but my late wife and I did face together her seven-year battle with breast cancer that ended in her death in 2005. Her doctors, caregivers and friends were astonished at the calm and cheerful attitude with which she faced death. She had been raised as a Southern Baptist, but we had seen time and again that believers who relied solely on Bible verses, platitudes and pep talks had a difficult time coping with personal tragedies -- when it came to something like facing their own deaths, they discovered that, at least to some extent, they had just been "whistling past the graveyard." Long before we knew that my wife had cancer, we undertook an extensive study of the evidence for life after death. To someone in your situation, I would say: Dive into a study of Near Death Experiences and similar evidence. I think you would find the best evidence extremely convincing and comforting and would find that it makes trusting in God a lot easier. In other words, you will have an evidence-based trust, not just a "wishing and hoping" sort of trust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums