✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How to deal with evil?

As a Christian, I know well on the Christian doctrine of evil. So, I do not need any feed back on that.

I also know that all philosophy and religion are also trying to deal with the problems of evil. And that is what I am try to solicit on your opinion. This question may also related to the definition of evil, the origin of evil and the final destiny of evil.

So, what can you teach me on that?

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's start with the definition of evil.

So far I've run across either really bad badness, or intentional badness. An evil person is someone who consciously imputes badness onto another person. Or perhaps evil is the character state of a person who has continually chosen badness. If this is true, you can't technically *act* evilly, but evil is the state of inner badness that is both the continual result of and the cause of bad actions.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Let's start with the definition of evil.

So far I've run across either really bad badness, or intentional badness. An evil person is someone who consciously imputes badness onto another person. Or perhaps evil is the character state of a person who has continually chosen badness. If this is true, you can't technically *act* evilly, but evil is the state of inner badness that is both the continual result of and the cause of bad actions.

Yes, if the definition of evil is in question, then it would be hard to consider the rest of arguments related to evil. That is why I do not put it on the title.

Assume we know what evil is (even on an individual basis), then how do we handle the problem?

May be two categories: Evil is a problem which needs to be dealt with. Or evil is not a problem but a necessary nature. Of course, in the latter case, we do not need to deal with it, but could try to enhance it and make it as strong as possible.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
How to deal with evil?

As a Christian, I know well on the Christian doctrine of evil. So, I do not need any feed back on that.

I also know that all philosophy and religion are also trying to deal with the problems of evil. And that is what I am try to solicit on your opinion. This question may also related to the definition of evil, the origin of evil and the final destiny of evil.

I don´t know there´s such a thing as "evil".

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Probably little that would be consistent with your worldview.

There are several senses in which one can use the word "evil". I'll just share one quote, and take it for what you will:

Since reason is man’s basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil.
-- Ayn Rand

Essentially, evil is that which is counter-flourishing.

How to deal with evil? Promote wisdom regarding personal flourishing.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

smartb

Mar 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe in voodoo and I accidentally befriended a witch. I didn't know until it was too late. She cursed me or put a hex on me. God hates witchcraft so I don't think she's going to heaven. Making money takes the edge off all the evil surrounding me.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Probably little that would be consistent with your worldview.

There are several senses in which one can use the word "evil". I'll just share one quote, and take it for what you will:

Since reason is man’s basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil.
-- Ayn Rand

Essentially, evil is that which is counter-flourishing.

How to deal with evil? Promote wisdom regarding personal flourishing.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Are you suggesting that you simply ignore the evil and focus on good?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don´t know there´s such a thing as "evil".

So whatever people do, you do not take it as an evil act. For example, you do not think murder is evil. And the word evil should not exist. By the way, what is the origin of this word? Is it a religious word?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe in voodoo and I accidentally befriended a witch. I didn't know until it was too late. She cursed me or put a hex on me. God hates witchcraft so I don't think she's going to heaven. Making money takes the edge off all the evil surrounding me.

So, you make money to deal with all evils?

Would take salary count as making money? Do you set a limit on the amount money needed to make?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you suggesting that you simply ignore the evil and focus on good?

I wouldn't say that one should simply ignore the evil -- it's okay to use force to defend oneself from aggressors and bring them to justice -- but focusing on the good is likely to accomplish more in the long run than simply fighting evil.

Instead of focusing on plucking wilting or stunted flowers from your garden, maybe you should focus on optimising light, water, food, temperature, etc.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say that one should simply ignore the evil -- it's okay to use force to defend oneself from aggressors and bring them to justice -- but focusing on the good is likely to accomplish more in the long run than simply fighting evil.

Instead of focusing on plucking wilting or stunted flowers from your garden, maybe you should focus on optimising light, water, food, temperature, etc.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Do you think what you do will eventually eliminate evil, or you only do that to make yourself comfortable and not to be bothered by the problems of evil?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think what you do will eventually eliminate evil, or you only do that to make yourself comfortable and not to be bothered by the problems of evil?

I doubt that evil can ever be eliminated any more than a baby can be born wise. Perhaps evil can only be minimized.

My motivation in any case isn't comfort, but rather a love of the good.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I doubt that evil can ever be eliminated any more than a baby can be born wise. Perhaps evil can only be minimized.

My motivation in any case isn't comfort, but rather a love of the good.

eudaimonia,

Mark

So, when you found a little bit evil in you, it would not bother you. You simply tolerate it or neglect it. Right?

Or you would still struggle to defeat it?

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
So whatever people do, you do not take it as an evil act.
I spoke about what there is or isn´t, not about how I take things.
For example, you do not think murder is evil.
I spoke about what there is or isn´t, not about how I judge it.
And the word evil should not exist.
I didn´t say nor meant to say that.

It´s funny, how I make a short sentence and you summarize it in three sentences that don´t have much to do with what I said.
By the way, what is the origin of this word?
evil (n.) Old English yfel (see evil (adj.)). evil (adj.) Old English yfel (Kentish evel) "bad, vicious, ill, wicked," from Proto-Germanic *ubilaz (cf. Old Saxon ubil, Old Frisian and Middle Dutch evel, Dutch euvel, Old High German ubil, German übel, Gothic ubils), from PIE *upelo-, from root *wap- (cf. Hittite huwapp- "evil").

"In OE., as in all the other early Teut. langs., exc. Scandinavian, this word is the most comprehensive adjectival expression of disapproval, dislike or disparagement" [OED]. Evil was the word the Anglo-Saxons used where we would use bad, cruel, unskillful, defective (adj.), or harm, crime, misfortune, disease (n.). The meaning "extreme moral wickedness" was in Old English, but did not become the main sense until 18c. Related: Evilly. Evil eye (Latin oculus malus) was Old English eage yfel. Evilchild is attested as an English surname from 13c.(from here: Online Etymology Dictionary)
[bolding mine]

Is it a religious word?
As far as I can tell it is - unlike "sin" - not a word exclusively used in a theistic context.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I spoke about what there is or isn´t, not about how I take things.
I spoke about what there is or isn´t, not about how I judge it.
I didn´t say nor meant to say that.

It´s funny, how I make a short sentence and you summarize it in three sentences that don´t have much to do with what I said.

evil (n.) Old English yfel (see evil (adj.)). evil (adj.) Old English yfel (Kentish evel) "bad, vicious, ill, wicked," from Proto-Germanic *ubilaz (cf. Old Saxon ubil, Old Frisian and Middle Dutch evel, Dutch euvel, Old High German ubil, German übel, Gothic ubils), from PIE *upelo-, from root *wap- (cf. Hittite huwapp- "evil").

"In OE., as in all the other early Teut. langs., exc. Scandinavian, this word is the most comprehensive adjectival expression of disapproval, dislike or disparagement" [OED]. Evil was the word the Anglo-Saxons used where we would use bad, cruel, unskillful, defective (adj.), or harm, crime, misfortune, disease (n.). The meaning "extreme moral wickedness" was in Old English, but did not become the main sense until 18c. Related: Evilly. Evil eye (Latin oculus malus) was Old English eage yfel. Evilchild is attested as an English surname from 13c.(from here: Online Etymology Dictionary)
[bolding mine]

As far as I can tell it is - unlike "sin" - not a word exclusively used in a theistic context.

But as you quoted from the dictionary, I do not see any sense of religion in the origin of this word.

So, there is evil. Am I right this time?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, when you found a little bit evil in you, it would not bother you. You simply tolerate it or neglect it. Right?

Let's use archery as an example.

If I practice archery, I would grow in skill. With every quiver, more and more of my arrows would hit the bullseye, and they would gradually get closer and closer to the exact mathematical center of the target. However, it is unlikely that I would ever reach the degree of skill necessary to hit the mathematical center of the target consistently, or even at all if there is very little margin for error. I might not even reach Robin Hood's level of skill where I can split an arrow at will.

So, I would accept my imperfections, seeing them as inevitable, and yet still struggle to grow and improve as a person, striving to hit closer and closer to the center of my target.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
But as you quoted from the dictionary, I do not see any sense of religion in the origin of this word.
Yes, that´s what I said.
OTOH religion tends to use "evil" in a particular sense.
But I don´t even know what this is supposed to have to do with my initial post. I didn´t say anything about a connection of religion and the concept of evil there. Please clarify.

So, there is evil. Am I right this time?
In paraphrasing my opinion? No. Au contraire, I said there is no such thing as evil.
I have problems following your logic. You seem to be saying that if a word isn´t religious it therefore must point to something existing. Is this your line of reasoning? If not so, what is it?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that´s what I said.
OTOH religion tends to use "evil" in a particular sense.
But I don´t even know what this is supposed to have to do with my initial post. I didn´t say anything about a connection of religion and the concept of evil there. Please clarify.

In paraphrasing my opinion? No. Au contraire, I said there is no such thing as evil.
I have problems following your logic. You seem to be saying that if a word isn´t religious it therefore must point to something existing. Is this your line of reasoning? If not so, what is it?

How would call the intention of murder?
And how would you call the intention of torture?
And if there is a word which can represent the nature of the above two names?

Or, alternatively, you may consider this question:

There is a word called evil, could you give an example of using this word?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Let's use archery as an example.

If I practice archery, I would grow in skill. With every quiver, more and more of my arrows would hit the bullseye, and they would gradually get closer and closer to the exact mathematical center of the target. However, it is unlikely that I would ever reach the degree of skill necessary to hit the mathematical center of the target consistently, or even at all if there is very little margin for error. I might not even reach Robin Hood's level of skill where I can split an arrow at will.

So, I would accept my imperfections, seeing them as inevitable, and yet still struggle to grow and improve as a person, striving to hit closer and closer to the center of my target.

eudaimonia,

Mark

So, a parallel example:

Greedy is a nature of human. You fight it all the time and try not to be greedy. With that effort, you become less and less greedy. But you know that you can not completely get rid of the nature of greedy in you. However, you can accept this imperfection and live well with the imperfection.

Is that right?

If I generalize it as such: you recognize the existence of evil, and admit that there is no way to completely get rid of evil.

Is it correct?

Upvote 0