• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to calm down after panicking?

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought I was doing really well these past few months, as I hadn't had a "freak out" over something in a while. But then last night a thought hit me, about my novel I'm writing: "What if I copy pasted another line from somewhere that I liked and chose to use myself? And I can't remember how where that line is, which questions the integrity of the entire novel."

Even just writing that, I feel panicky. I lost sleep over this; someone on Reddit was kind enough to talk me through it and mentioned possible OCD almost right off the bat. Basically, I feel like I'm over thinking this, I don't think I actually did copy past anything. But I woke up this morning, remembered the issue, and just felt PANIC. Pain in my chest, a feeling like my body was being electrocuted. It's miserable. I'm a little scared to open up my word document again today (I have to, though, I'm doing a word count challenge and I'm very close to finishing). This unrelenting terror is just very not fun. I feel like it's been a while since this amount of panic was such a huge issue. And now I'm back to it.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’ve got PTSD. from being abused as a child. I get those panic attacks. Vigorous exercise, doing something creative, and yoga all help!

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try doing something else creative. That’s not involving writing . I’ve got a whole list of other things that I do if one of my creative outlets gets more frustrating than fun or productive . I put the frustrating one aside for a few days or weeks or even months . When I come back to it it’s usually with a clear head and that tends to let the issue work itself out

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are apps you can use to find plagiarism. I know that doesn't solve the larger issue of OCD, but perhaps knowing there is a way to discover an inadvertent copied line in your novel will calm this episode down?

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I had a similar problem a few months ago. I was finishing up a project for school, and I had to cite my sources. I’d pretty much paraphrased everything, and I was SO nervous about whether I cited my sources right.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I thought I was doing really well these past few months, as I hadn't had a "freak out" over something in a while. But then last night a thought hit me, about my novel I'm writing: "What if I copy pasted another line from somewhere that I liked and chose to use myself? And I can't remember how where that line is, which questions the integrity of the entire novel."

Even just writing that, I feel panicky. I lost sleep over this; someone on Reddit was kind enough to talk me through it and mentioned possible OCD almost right off the bat. Basically, I feel like I'm over thinking this, I don't think I actually did copy past anything. But I woke up this morning, remembered the issue, and just felt PANIC. Pain in my chest, a feeling like my body was being electrocuted. It's miserable. I'm a little scared to open up my word document again today (I have to, though, I'm doing a word count challenge and I'm very close to finishing). This unrelenting terror is just very not fun. I feel like it's been a while since this amount of panic was such a huge issue. And now I'm back to it.
A few deep breaths and a nice cup of tea! :)

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's what I found works for me:

Reciting the Lord's Prayer (Luke 11:2-4 & Matthew 6:9-13) out loud really helps calm me down during anxiety attacks and emotional tantrums.

I also recommend calmly reciting "Shalom, Shalom, Shalom..." out loud to yourself. 'Shalom' is a Hebrew word meaning tranquility with God. It is used as a greeting in Israel and among the Jewish diaspora.

I also encourage you to pray to God and pray often. Never lose hope. Cast all of your anxieties on Him because He cares about you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

If needed, get proper medication and therapy. God uses men and women to carry out His purposes whether they acknowledge it or not. There is no shame in receiving professional help for your mental health. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking out of pride and God hates pride.

Take care and God bless!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"What if I copy pasted another line from somewhere that I liked and chose to use myself? And I can't remember how where that line is, which questions the integrity of the entire novel."
Well, possibly you have not on purpose stolen what someone else has done. I would think you would know if you did :)
How could you like something, and not know you stole it ¿:idea:?

But . . . is your novel first for God? This would be the main issue to be concerned about, wouldn't it? And enjoy this. Appreciate knowing you want to do it for God. And share what is good.

But in case you are somehow trying to write what seems good . . . in comparison with other writings . . . this could make it easier to use or accidentally write what other writers have shared.

Instead, be creative, doing what is special for you with God, not only for how it can compare.

And . . . in case you are getting help from a publishing service, I suppose they have computer programs for making sure your work is original and legal.

Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had a similar problem a few months ago. I was finishing up a project for school, and I had to cite my sources. I’d pretty much paraphrased everything, and I was SO nervous about whether I cited my sources right.

I struggled so badly during college with this. I remember nitpicking my paper to death, and complaining about my anxiety to my friend (and, bless her heart, she basically just said "Just submit it." Which was a kick in the right direction for that particular essay. I scored pretty well on it, too, if I recall).

Anyway, I'm still terrified to write academic work. And along with what I posted above, I'm also plagued by thoughts of "I saw this before in a book or a fanfiction, this neat description I'm about to use." Like I'll just be sitting there, writing, and remembering distinctly something cool someone else used. I'm not copy pasting, I'm just remembering. But to me, that's wrong. And it makes me sick with worry. I'd rather never publish than be dishonest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I struggled so badly during college with this. I remember nitpicking my paper to death, and complaining about my anxiety to my friend (and, bless her heart, she basically just said "Just submit it." Which was a kick in the right direction for that particular essay. I scored pretty well on it, too, if I recall).

Anyway, I'm still terrified to write academic work. And along with what I posted above, I'm also plagued by thoughts of "I saw this before in a book or a fanfiction, this neat description I'm about to use." Like I'll just be sitting there, writing, and remembering distinctly something cool someone else used. I'm not copy pasting, I'm just remembering. But to me, that's wrong. And it makes me sick with worry. I'd rather never publish than be dishonest.
Yeah, I still haven’t received a grade for that project, and it makes me kind of nervous if I’m honest. Why not try paraphrasing that thing you heard? Just use different words.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I've got this same obsession! It wasn't too terrible when I was in college, but I know it caused me to overthink my writing more than other people would.

So here's the thing that I'm realizing, more and more, about OCD: Our brains are hyper-focused on the details, where "normal" people are able to zoom out and look at the big picture. For example, in this case: Plagiarism is taking a big chunk out of someone else's work because you're too lazy to do your own. Writing one or two sentences that maybe sorta could have come from someone else's idea is probably not. Although honestly, I'm still hyper-sensitive about this kind of thing, so I might not be the best person to give an opinion on it. :D

Do you have an example of the kind of thing you're afraid you plagiarized?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've got this same obsession! It wasn't too terrible when I was in college, but I know it caused me to overthink my writing more than other people would.

So here's the thing that I'm realizing, more and more, about OCD: Our brains are hyper-focused on the details, where "normal" people are able to zoom out and look at the big picture. For example, in this case: Plagiarism is taking a big chunk out of someone else's work because you're too lazy to do your own. Writing one or two sentences that maybe sorta could have come from someone else's idea is probably not. Although honestly, I'm still hyper-sensitive about this kind of thing, so I might not be the best person to give an opinion on it. :D

Do you have an example of the kind of thing you're afraid you plagiarized?

Well, mainly it's reading or hearing a line or two from a book or movie, and thinking "wow that's good" and thinking about how my characters would say it, and how I can incorporate it. In a fanfic I wrote, I used a line from an old western that I thought was funny (someone asked if the characters were there for some purpose, and the response was "I'm not here to pick blueberries.")

I caught myself doing that again today: a movie was playing, I popped into the room to watch for a bit, a line was said that stood out to me, and I started thinking about how I could use it--with the intent to use it once I got to a scene where it would fit--until i caught myself.

Good artists copy, great artists steal, as they say, but what that means is they steal ideas and make them their own. More or less (don't go writing a book where the protagonist has to destroy some heirloom jewelry in a volcano).

So, given that this has been a repeating habit, and since I have no idea now where on earth in my book I took a line from a movie or something I read... I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to scratch the first draft and just start over completely. *shrugs*

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, mainly it's reading or hearing a line or two from a book or movie, and thinking "wow that's good" and thinking about how my characters would say it, and how I can incorporate it. In a fanfic I wrote, I used a line from an old western that I thought was funny (someone asked if the characters were there for some purpose, and the response was "I'm not here to pick blueberries.")

I caught myself doing that again today: a movie was playing, I popped into the room to watch for a bit, a line was said that stood out to me, and I started thinking about how I could use it--with the intent to use it once I got to a scene where it would fit--until i caught myself.

Good artists copy, great artists steal, as they say, but what that means is they steal ideas and make them their own. More or less (don't go writing a book where the protagonist has to destroy some heirloom jewelry in a volcano).

So, given that this has been a repeating habit, and since I have no idea now where on earth in my book I took a line from a movie or something I read... I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to scratch the first draft and just start over completely. *shrugs*
I see. Well, I think it's good to do what you feel comfortable doing - I mean, what you feel convicted (in a non-obsessive way) to do. You want to feel satisfied with your writing, not feel uneasy that it's not actually your own. But of course, I mean doing this in a balanced way. There's a difference between being calmly convicted of something, and having an obsessive fear and going overboard about it. Hard for us OCDers to remember, though. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Including one or two quotes from another work isn't dishonest; it's taking inspiration from another writer. It's very common to include little nods to other works that you like. Sometimes this is deliberate; as a way of paying homage to the writer's favorite works (here's an entire list of such references:
). Sometimes it's not deliberate; you can't help but be subtly influenced by the works you've read and borrow the techniques, narrative devices, wording, or even more explicit borrowings such as character names or plot lines. Nothing exists in a vacuum, and it's impossible to have a completely creative work. There's a reason that we can identify distinct literary movements. Authors read other authors' works, and copy their styles. Like, a lot. Most writing involves making small or incremental changes/improvements to existing tropes and styles. In my mind, quoting another work is kind of like that; an acceptable level of literary inspiration. You've probably been a little traumatized by your high school teachers threatening hellfire if you plagiarized even a single word. Don't worry, it's not like that in fiction, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0