How to become refreshed after much service in ministry?

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What I'm looking for is examples. Do we revive our spirits by taking part in pursuits of this world? Or should we be revived by the Spirit of God?

For me I have taken walks in nature with a camera. I enjoy capturing the beauty God has created. The old timers didn't have this technology.
Am I so engrossed in technology that I miss the blessings of the Spirit of God?

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What I'm looking for is examples. Do we revive our spirits by taking part in pursuits of this world? Or should we be revived by the Spirit of God?

For me I have taken walks in nature with a camera. I enjoy capturing the beauty God has created. The old timers didn't have this technology.
Am I so engrossed in technology that I miss the blessings of the Spirit of God?

If they BELIEVED what they have taught over their years and have seen God manifesting His Word, not only in their life but, also in the lives of others... that would be very refreshing. Some teach that we need to keep our spirit trained and revived. I believe differently in that our new born-again spirit is fully redeemed and completely perfect and will never change for all eternity. It is the same spirit that Jesus had. Our new spirit will NEVER need to be trained or revived. It's already perfect in every way. It's our mind (soul) that needs to be revived, trained, refreshed and renewed, by the new created spirit within us, and that can only happen through His Word (Romans 12:2). Our soul and body SHOULD always be revived by the Spirit of God (within us), by continually renewing our minds with strength and energy received from His Word. Jesus did not need to renew His mind with the Word (as we do), for He WAS the "Word made flesh" that walked among us. We need it continually because we fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).

As you do your nature walk, (in the presense of God), that would be very refreshing by itself... and then more refreshing comes by communicating with Him in releasing your prayer and praise language. Perhaps, God may show you something (birds, flowers, etc.) that you have "never seen" before and never photographed. In this scenerio, what would be more refreshing then that?

As for the old timers, God Blessed them in ways (in their time) that may equal the Blessings we receive with todays technology that they didn't have. If any of these old timers also took nature walks, God can also show them things that even they have "never seen" which would be refreshing to them. The only difference is they have to keep these images in their minds but, with today's technology... those images are captured and stored on camera for anyone to see. It's not about you being engrossed in today's technology, but being engrossed (absorbed) in Him and His Blessings freely given to us by walking in faith.

I hope everyone checks out your blog site and parks here for a while. http://verde34.blogspot.com/

Just my thoughts...

Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you hhodgson, that is our soul and body that needs reviving. The Holy Spirit brought to my mind yesterday (by reading). John 16:22 "Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you." No one can take away the joy of the Lord from me.
Line Creek.jpg

If someone sitting in a jail cell was burdened and weary, they could bask in the presence of God and be revived. As I was hiking today with my autistic brother, I was just rejoicing in the Lord. I was thanking Him for the blessings I have in Him. And how good He is to me. The Lord is showing me there is renewal in the presence of God.

PS I can't copy and paste from Bible Gateway anymore. I have to filter it through notepad. But I like the way I can easily put a photo on! Thanks for the plug for my blog.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How would old time ministers become refreshed after much service in ministry? I'm talking about 1700's 1800's and 1900 to 1920.

I posted this in another forum with no response. I'm hoping you guys have some insight.
In Mark 6:31, Jesus took his disciples to a deserted place to get refreshed.

"[31] And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat."

If you can afford it, going on a cruise ship is a wonderful way to retreat from the stress of the world. All you do, basically, is lounge around, eat for free, do entertaining activities and watch good shows every night. A very enjoyable experience. I just came back from a 1 week cruise in Mexico. Before that, it was Alaska. You'll find that most of the stresses from taking vacations are related to commuting and then having to find a place to eat. When you're on a cruise ship, all that's taken care of, everyone's more or less happy, and crew members treat you like royalty. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0

justsurfin12

I don't bite!
Dec 12, 2009
Thailand atm, but live/work/travel around SE Asia
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The principle of "sabbath"... found throughout scripture.. is that it is important to take time to rest.

And I believe that scripture is clear that God cares for us as a whole person, not only spiritually but physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.

What constitutes "rest" is different for everyone. For my mom, it was sitting in the little alcove off her kitchen drinking a cup of tea and watching the birds and squirrels play outside her window. For my father, it was piddling in the flowerbeds or going fishing with one of his fishing buddies (some of whom he led to Christ sitting on a lake). For others it could be music... or art... or lying on the beach somewhere... or... whatever... IMO, it's not really important WHAT one does to rest, but it is important that we take time to rest.

Personally, I find it a bit ironic to see people want prayer for healing when what they really need is to just slow down a bit and quit working themselves to death (and I include some ministers in that same category).

Upvote 0