How to be filled (and stay filled) with the Holy Spirit?

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Okay. - lol
I'll give that a go as well.

No. Two different spirits. (same God)
The Holy Spirit of God and the spirit of Christ.
cc. @Andrewn
:oldthumbsup: And would you not agree that the spirit of Christ, would also be 'a' holy spirit? I don't even think you have to say; yes, unless you disagree. And if you did that, I'd have to ask why? :doh:

I seem to remember a contradiction in the translations I was reading about who was sending the Spirit/spirit for the outpouring. (or the Holy Spirit in general after Pentecost) In one place Jesus says his Father will send the Spirit, in another place he says he will send the Spirit. (spirit?) Perhaps it doesn't matter. Not sure.
  1. John 14:26 NIV
    But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
Good observation STEVE! I hadn't even caught that before. Let's just run with what you just brought up. The thing which grabbed me was "in my name" in John 14:26. So, which baptism, of the three mentioned in the Great commission, was in the 'name/authority' "of the son". Was that not the baptism where we confess Jesus as our savior and receive a born again spirit from Him? That spirit being 'the spirit of Christ' right? Or do you disagree?

So which spirit is it, that is 'in us' which appropriates the salvation which we still hope for, because it is not yet accomplished?

COL 1:27* To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

GAL 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

So, does the capitalized Spirit here mean 'The Holy Spirit of God, or the holy sSpirit of Christ?

In your opinion Steve are we still tracking together?

John 15:26 NIV
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Fatherthe Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

Would you have a hard time believing 'above', in this, the 2nd verse, which you shared, that it is still the Spirit of Christ, which is the Spirit that leads your soul/mind into having 'or putting on' "the mind of Christ"?

Going to stop. I just can't spend as much time here, like the old days. Just had a very encouraging praise report in the office today from recent times spent ministering.

A brother came in today. He said he had gone off his Rx drugs 2 days after I spent several hours in ministry and deliverance with him a couple of weeks ago. He had been on 'fear and anxiety' anti depression stuff for years. Fear so bad he hadn't even been in church but a few times and had to leave. He is planing on coming to church Sunday. I couldn't believe he didn't call and at least tell me that sooner. :clap:

Then my granddaughter came in and said she hasn’t had any more shadows in her house, or thoughts of dying/suicide since I prayed and ministered deliverance to her from two spirits last week. I also prayed for her on the road to Dallas last Friday morning and received a pretty good word which I still have to type up and give to her. I believe she has a prophetic calling which the devil has robbed her of for several years now.

Anyway, supernatural things are happening, that is truly exciting for me. It's been a long dry spell.

Be blessed Steve. This is good.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is an interesting passage in this regard. (being filled with the Holy Spirit)

How did the apostles know that the new believers in Samaria did not receive the Holy Spirit when they believed and were baptized? What did the apostles do to remedy this problem? How did they know when the Samaritans did receive the Holy Spirit? (this text doesn't tell us)
Near the end of Acts chapter two Peter informs us "Repent and be baptized... And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." - Acts 2:38
So, what went wrong in Samaria?

Acts 8:14-17 NIV
When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

The Apostles knew because they asked them.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In your opinion Steve are we still tracking together?
Yup, still tracking, thanks.
I had a nagging thought that I wanted to follow up on. (please indulge me, then I will return to the balance of your post, thanks - I heard you had a fair price on indulgences this week. - lol)

I did a quick search to see how many times the term "Holy Spirit" was used in the book of Acts. 42 times in the NIV translation, but only ONCE in the KJV. See below. (Holy Ghost)

But most curious is that it differentiates between "the Holy Ghost" and "the Spirit". (capital "S") ???

Acts 2:4 KJV
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to our regularly scheduled deprogramming. - lol

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. - lol
I'll give that a go as well.

No. Two different spirits. (same God)
The Holy Spirit of God and the spirit of Christ.
cc. @Andrewn

I seem to remember a contradiction in the translations I was reading about who was sending the Spirit/spirit for the outpouring. (or the Holy Spirit in general after Pentecost) In one place Jesus says his Father will send the Spirit, in another place he says he will send the Spirit. (spirit?) Perhaps it doesn't matter. Not sure.

1. John 14:26 NIV
    But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

2. John 15:26 NIV
    “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Fatherthe Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.
True ---The Holy Spirit Proceeds from Both the Father and the Son.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Apostles knew because they asked them.
Do you see anything in the text to support that?

Saint Steven said:
This is an interesting passage in this regard. (being filled with the Holy Spirit)

How did the apostles know that the new believers in Samaria did not receive the Holy Spirit when they believed and were baptized? What did the apostles do to remedy this problem? How did they know when the Samaritans did receive the Holy Spirit? (this text doesn't tell us)
Near the end of Acts chapter two Peter informs us "Repent and be baptized... And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." - Acts 2:38
So, what went wrong in Samaria?

Acts 8:14-17 NIV
When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we search Acts for Spirit, filled, upon, full and other related terms, we will find being full of the Holy Spirit includes power to witness, wisdom and other things besides speaking in tongues.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you have a hard time believing 'above', in this, the 2nd verse, which you shared, that it is still the Spirit of Christ, which is the Spirit that leads your soul/mind into having 'or putting on' "the mind of Christ"?
That text doesn't really support the idea, so, Yes, I would have a hard time believing that based on that text. Though I can see the connection/result.

However, that it is the Spirit of Christ that assists in us putting on the mind of Christ seems completely logical. Please continue, as you are able. (thanks for sharing the praise reports too - very exciting victories)

The Advocate (the Spirit of truth) whom Jesus will send from the Father will testify about Jesus. (see below)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we search Acts for Spirit, filled, upon, full and other related terms, we will find being full of the Holy Spirit includes power to witness, wisdom and other things besides speaking in tongues.
Yes, other things (manifestations of the Spirit) besides tongues.
At the house of Cornelius, speaking in tongues and praising God. (Acts 10:46) In Ephesus, they spoke in tongues and prophesied. (Acts 19:6)

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yup, still tracking, thanks.
I had a nagging thought that I wanted to follow up on. (please indulge me, then I will return to the balance of your post, thanks - I heard you had a fair price on indulgences this week. - lol)

I did a quick search to see how many times the term "Holy Spirit" was used in the book of Acts. 42 times in the NIV translation, but only ONCE in the KJV. See below. (Holy Ghost)

But most curious is that it differentiates between "the Holy Ghost" and "the Spirit". (capital "S") ???

Acts 2:4 KJV
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to our regularly scheduled deprogramming. - lol
Steve, this is another good rabbit hole verse for deconstruction IMO. :idea:

MAT 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Remember the teaching on the absence of the 'definite article' (the) in the Greek, as an indicator of whether we are talking about 'the Spirit' as a person, or as the 'spirit power' coming from 'the Spirit'. Well, in this verse where the was added by translators, we are not talking about the person of The Holy Spirit crawling into the womb of Mary. We are talking about procreative power coming from the person of The Holy Spirit.

'Nestle's Interlinear says; "the thing in her begotten of/ek (the) Spirit IS Holy."
The Greek word ek/1537 is a preposition and means 'out of'. And (the) in parenthesis means it is not in the Greek.

So this verse could be correctly interpreted as saying; "the thing in her procreated out of spirit (power) is holy."

Let's look at one more verse;

LUK 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow/episkiazo thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

1982 episkiazo: to cast a shade upon, i.e. (by analogy) to envelop in a haze of brilliancy; figuratively. to invest with preternatural influence

OK now I'll try to go on.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That text doesn't really support the idea, so, Yes, I would have a hard time believing that based on that text. Though I can see the connection/result.

However, that it is the Spirit of Christ that assists in us putting on the mind of Christ seems completely logical. Please continue, as you are able. (thanks for sharing the praise reports too - very exciting victories)

The Advocate (the Spirit of truth) whom Jesus will send from the Father will testify about Jesus. (see below)

IMO the 'context' says lots about 'abiding in Christ' and Him abiding in us' and things happening to us because 'of His name's sake'. The holy spiritual fruit, of the holy spirit of Christ is also mentioned in verse 11 "joy" and verse 12 "love". But nothing about 'the Holy Spirit' of God. Just 2 verses before it mentions Jesus and the Father, but nothing in the chapter indicates that the Holy Spirit of God is being spoken of. Who is "the way THE TRUTH and the life."? Is it the Holy Spirit of God? Or is it Jesus the Christ?

For me personally, I feel like the bigger stretch, is to say that the "Advocate/Counselor/helper/comforter" is not the holy Spirit of Christ in us. But we can pursue this more if you'd like.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me personally, I feel like the bigger stretch, is to say that the "Advocate/Counselor/helper/comforter" is not the holy Spirit of Christ in us. But we can pursue this more if you'd like.
Isn't part of the definition to "come along side"? (rather than be inside)

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't part of the definition to "come along side"? (rather than be inside)
Yes, that is true. And I do struggle with that point. But if you look at this verse, who is the one coming along side.....of what? Is it the spirit of Christ coming along side our soul and body? I don't know.

My laptop bible has 'Christ our Advocate' as a paragraph title;

~Christ Our Advocate 1JO 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate/parakletos with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

3875 parakletos: an intercessor, consoler

Your thoughts? All I know is there is room for healthy deconstruction and honest inquiry.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is true. And I do struggle with that point. But if you look at this verse, who is the one coming along side.....of what? Is it the spirit of Christ coming along side our soul and body? I don't know.

My laptop bible has 'Christ our Advocate' as a paragraph title;

~Christ Our Advocate 1JO 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate/parakletos with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

3875 parakletos: an intercessor, consoler

Your thoughts? All I know is there is room for healthy deconstruction and honest inquiry.
It seems that the "coming along side" aspect is more of a support role aspect than a location description. The Spirit in us "stands with us" (in the heavenly realms) as an advocate. (against the accuser) Reminds me of this one.

Romans 2:14-16 NIV
(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello @TruthSeek3r, this is a great/important topic for discussion (I'm not sure that I would classify it as "controversial" however).

Here's a very short article that may be of interest (it also takes a quick look at the difference between the indwelling and the filling of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer).

Good article except for the last part, where it said you don't pray for the filling of the Holy Spirit.

Since Eph 5:18 is a command to obey, we must know how to obey the command.

We know that sin grieves/quenches the Spirit, and therefore blocks the filling of the Spirit.

Note in Eph 5:18 the contrast between being drunk and being filled with the Spirit.

So, just as alcohol influences the person, so does the filling of the Holy Spirit.

The solution for our sin is 1 John 1:9, to confess and be forgiven and cleansed. That puts the believer on praying ground again. Otherwise, the Lord will not hear us. Psa 66:18.

1 Cor 5:14,15
14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

So praying for the filling of the Spirit IS the way to be filled. We are praying for God's will, since being filled is a command.

What better way to yield or submit to the Holy Spirit (be filled) than to ask for it.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

It seems that the "coming along side" aspect is more of a support role aspect than a location description. The Spirit in us "stands with us" (in the heavenly realms) as an advocate. (against the accuser) Reminds me of this one.

I like and agree with where you are coming with this "a support role". Sounds, and feels pretty good. I don't know if I follow your Roman's application though.

Romans 2:14-16 NIV
(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

These verses, to me, shows a "heart", "conscience" and "thoughts" condition, all of which I put in the 'soul' category and not 'spirit' category. But the 'holy spirit of Christ' in us, and drawing near unto the soul kind of fits. (Standing at the door of our heart and knocking type thing).

You didn't comment on the verse I shared saying that Jesus Christ was the advocate and not the Holy Spirit though????

~Christ Our Advocate
1JO 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate/parakletos with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You didn't comment on the verse I shared saying that Jesus Christ was the advocate and not the Holy Spirit though????

~Christ Our Advocate
1JO 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate/parakletos with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
That's interesting. An advocate...
A quick search on the word "advocate" shows these interesting results.
The first one refers to the HS as "another" advocate. Another always means there is an other. Christ in this case.

Except for your example at the bottom, the rest say: "the" Advocate.
  1. John 14:16
    And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—

2. John 14:26

3. John 15:26
    The Work of the Holy Spirit
    “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

4. John 16:7
    But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

5. 1 John 2:1
    My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting. An advocate...
A quick search on the word "advocate" shows these interesting results.
The first one refers to the HS as "another" advocate. Another always means there is an other. Christ in this case.

Except for your example at the bottom, the rest say: "the" Advocate.
  1. John 14:16
    And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—

2. John 14:26

3. John 15:26
    The Work of the Holy Spirit
    “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

4. John 16:7
    But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

5. 1 John 2:1
    My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
You have made an interesting observation...well done. But read it closer. John 14:16 doesn't say "THE" advocate, it says ANOTHER advocate, as in two. That kind of supports this radical theology I'm leaning in to, I think.

PS PS PS
I just reread your post and see that you also came to the very same conclusion. I'm sorry I just can't spend the time here like I used to and I went too fast and I am shocked I missed reading your post better. :doh:

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0