All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Seven keys on how Catholics can Google, surf, tweet and blog in a faithful manner

By Emily Stimpson - OSV Newsweekly, 4/17/2011
Pope Benedict XVI made no bones about it.
“There exists a Christian way of being present in the digital world,” he wrote in his 2011 World Communication Day Message.
That way, he went on to explain, encompasses far more than simply using the media to catechize, apologize or defend the faith. In other words, being “Christian” in the digital world is not just about inserting religious content into different media platforms.
Rather, Pope Benedict wrote, it’s about how all of us use the media every day.

It’s about how we Google, surf and tweet. How we chat on Facebook. How we comment on blogs. It’s about the websites we visit, and it’s about the amount of time we spend on those websites. It’s about the relationships we form in the virtual world, and it’s about the relationships we’re charged to nurture in the real world. It’s about being witnesses every day, in every way, regardless of where we’re witnessing: home, school, work or the comment boxes at www.nytimes.com.
But how do we do that? How do we Google, surf and tweet like Christians? How do we follow the pope’s instructions?

Eugene Gan, professor of interactive media communications at Franciscan University of Steubenville, has the answer.
Or, more accurately, the Catholic Church has the answer, an answer it has given through dozens of encyclicals, apostolic exhortations and other documents on social communications. Gan is just the one who synthesized those documents to make the answer clear.
Late last fall, a few months before Pope Benedict released his message, Gan published "Infinite Bandwidth: Encountering Christ in the Media" (Emmaus Road, $11.95). In the book, he lays out seven “keys,” or principles, that should guide Christians’ forays into the digital world. All drawn explicitly from Church documents on social communications, those seven keys are the “way” of which Pope Benedict speaks.
Recently, Our Sunday Visitor sat down with Gan to hear more about the “seven keys.” Here’s what we learned.
Balance

What it means:
Two things. First, it means having a balanced view of media, looking at it from all angles so that an accurate understanding of it can emerge. Second, it means using media in a balanced way, not spending inordinate amounts of time texting, tweeting or gaming.

Why it matters: A balanced view gives us a fuller and more accurate understanding of media — the good, the bad and the ugly. It’s what, for example, can help us understand why Facebook might be a great tool for college campus ministry, but inappropriate for a 12-year-old. Likewise, balanced use ensures that we’re investing our time and energy in the things that matter most — work, prayer, family — and not losing ourselves in the virtual world.

How to: Don’t unthinkingly reject or accept any form of media without carefully considering its merits. Limit the amount of time each day that you use the media purely for entertainment. At least occasionally, fast from media. Shut off cell phones at dinnertime. Don’t check email over the weekend. Give up Facebook for Lent.
How the Church says it: A balanced view: Media consumers “must take into consideration the entire situation or circumstances, namely, the persons, place, time and other conditions under which communication takes place and which can affect or totally change its propriety” (Inter Mirifica, No. 4).

Balanced use: Media consumers “should exercise self-control. They must not allow themselves to be so beguiled by the charms of the media’s products or by the curiosity that these arouse that they neglect urgent duties or simply waste time” (Communio et Progressio, No. 52).

Attitude awareness

What it means:
Cultivating a critical awareness of the messages, both good and bad, in all forms of media.

Why it matters:The messages that come at us through media affect us, for good and for ill. The more aware we are of the messages and agendas contained within any given media and the more we understand the viewpoint of the media maker, the less susceptible we are to being taken in by harmful messages or using the media in ways that might be unhealthy.

How to: Employing this key is all about research and observation. First, research the media. Find out who makes it, see if they’ve given interviews that talk about why they do what they do or what they hope to accomplish. Next, examine the media content. Look for what behaviors are encouraged and discouraged, rewarded or mocked. Ask if the media promotes ideas and behaviors that are in accord with the Christian faith.

How the Church says it: “The means of communication ... enrich men’s minds if their character and function is understood. On the other hand, men who do not sufficiently appreciate their importance, may find their liberty diminished” (Communio et Progressio, No. 64).

Continued here.....
How to be Christian in the digital world

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I found it very informative. It's hard in cyber world some times. If not watched closely, it can become another addiction, thus destroying personal relationships one has in real life. I have seen it to often, and experienced it in a previous relationship. So the subject is near and dear to my heart.

I have family members that are experiencing problems in marriage because of an over indulgence on the internet, and the neglect of family. Other things play into it also, but that is a big part. It breaks my heart and is so sad.

Upvote 0

Phaedron777

Mar 14, 2011
✟643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't you mean how to be "Catholic" in the digital age? To be Christian would involve taking your Bible literally when it says things like:

"Call no man on earth your father, for you have one in heaven."
"In vain do they worship me, teachings for doctrines the traditions of men."
The entire book of Jeremiah, condemning the queen of heaven, xmas trees and other pagan holidays.

Not to mention loving your enemies and "let men worship what gods they will," rather then slaughtering everything in sight.

Now the single most important thing about Christians surviving in the digital age is not taking "the mark of the beast IN the right hand or forehead." Not on it, but inside of it. This applies to the microchip. Maybe you can take it in the left hand, but I wouldn't risk it.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

obvious_troll_652.jpg

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you mean how to be "Catholic" in the digital age? To be Christian would involve taking your Bible literally when it says things like:

No, being Catholic IS being Christian.

Not to mention loving your enemies.
I'd suppose thats not why you haven't been run out of here on a rail yet.

Now the single most important thing about Christians surviving in the digital age is not taking "the mark of the beast IN the right hand or forehead." Not on it, but inside of it. This applies to the microchip. Maybe you can take it in the left hand, but I wouldn't risk it.
Oy Vey.

Upvote 0