How to be Born Again

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was Nicodemus asking how he could be saved? No, he wasn't. He asked, "how could this be"? How could it be that a man could be born again? That was his question, and Jesus answers him in 7-8.

Nicodemus understood how to obey the law better than anyone. He knew how to "do", as most around the Church today do, but few know how to live by faith. Few approach Christ by faith. Countless masses attempt to approach Him by works. They read the Bible as if it were a checklist. They've reduced it to such. However, the Bible is a book about God's actions. He is the main actor in the story of redemption.

Everyone was puzzled with Torah (Instructions):

John 5:39You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;

It was important to interpret Torah correctly because getting it wrong meant facing God's wrath:

Luke 3:7So he began saying to the crowds who were going out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

So what were the Jews doing wrong?

First of all they thought they were the seed of Abraham, to whom God had promised protection and honor. The truth was that Abraham was the father of only those who were loyal to God. Identifying with Abraham was acknowledged by God by sharing his spirit, not by having outward physical similarities, because even stones had some physical similarities with Abraham.

Romans 4:10How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised.

They had to forget about physical descent and change their minds about how to live as children of God, become new men (be born again!), had to live like Abraham, who knew God was all knowing and wise, and it was only necessary and right to obey Him and respect His principles.

Luke 3:8Therefore bear fruits in keeping with repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham for our father,’ for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham. 9“Indeed the axe is already laid at the root of the trees; so every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

10And the crowds were questioning him, saying, “Then what shall we do?”11And he would answer and say to them, “The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.” 12And some tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?” 13And he said to them, “Collect no more than what you have been ordered to.” 14Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”

Bottomline, Israel needed to change her mind about her status: being Jewish had no advantage, in fact if the non-Jewish person's life was closer to God's requirements, he would be a better child of Abraham, since his actions were like Abraham's.

Romans 2:26So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision?

It's sad that people misread the Bible, ignoring the historical evidence. Faith, belief, pistis, in First Century Greek parlance meant being loyal, not only mentally assenting to a claim, agreeing with Jesus, con-fess-ing, that he was the Messiah.

You should stop reading books by Piper and Sproul, who do not have historian creds and read these authors, who use a historian's methodology to understand the Bible narrative.

Theo Geek: The Patron-Client system and Hebrews 11:1

Some books for those wanting to know more:

Palestine in the Time of Jesus
, Hanson & Oakman, 1998
The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era, James S. Jeffers, 1999
Honor, Patronage, Kinship & Purity, David A. Desilva, 2000
The New Testament World, Bruce Malina, 3rd Ed 2001
The social setting of Jesus and the Gospels, Stegemann, Malina & Theissen, 2002

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was Nicodemus asking how he could be saved? No, he wasn't. He asked, "how could this be"? How could it be that a man could be born again? That was his question, and Jesus answers him in 7-8.

Nicodemus understood how to obey the law better than anyone. He knew how to "do", as most around the Church today do, but few know how to live by faith. Few approach Christ by faith. Countless masses attempt to approach Him by works. They read the Bible as if it were a checklist. They've reduced it to such. However, the Bible is a book about God's actions. He is the main actor in the story of redemption.

What are you doing, avoiding the real point? Whether Nicodemus was asking about himself or in a general sense, how a man can be born again, is irrelevant to this discussion since the answer is the same for anyone. Thanks for the thoughts about the difference between faith and works, but that is not the point we are discussing either, at least I wasn't. The scriptures are clear that salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ alone and not works. It seems to me you are trying to say being born again comes about by a means other than FAITH. You have ignored all the scriptures I posted about faith and belief in Jesus Christ as the condition for salvation. Why? Don't you believe God's Word? How many countless times has God said in the scriptures, in various ways, to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved? Why are you so bent on disregarding the number of times Jesus told Nicodemus the necessity of believing in Him (Jesus) for one to have eternal life?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Whether Nicodemus was asking about himself or in a general sense, how a man can be born again, is irrelevant to this discussion since the answer is the same for anyone.

I wasn't trying to make that distinction. I think you've missed my point.

It seems to me you are trying to say being born again comes about by a means other than FAITH.

No. I am not saying that. Man must exercise faith in Christ. I am, however saying that faith is a gift (Eph 2:8-9) and that faith follows regeneration. One cannot move from his position as an unregenerate sinner who is at enmity with God and a slave to sin, to a position of placing a faith in a God he is at war with, and hiding from because of his guilt (John 3:19) without the Holy Spirit acting on said man, by His Word.

One further clarification: We are saved BY grace, THROUGH faith. Many say we are saved BY faith, but that is simply not the case.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't trying to make that distinction. I think you've missed my point.
Maybe I did miss your point, but I feel you have missed and refuse to consider a large part of Jesus' dialog with Nicodemus concerning the subject of being born again.

No. I am not saying that. Man must exercise faith in Christ. I am, however saying that faith is a gift (Eph 2:8-9) and that faith follows regeneration. One cannot move from his position as an unregenerate sinner who is at enmity with God and a slave to sin, to a position of placing a faith in a God he is at war with, and hiding from because of his guilt (John 3:19) without the Holy Spirit acting on said man, by His Word.

One further clarification: We are saved BY grace, THROUGH faith. Many say we are saved BY faith, but that is simply not the case.

Okay, you are saying man must exercise faith in Christ. That agrees with the scriptures which repeatedly express the need for men to place their faith and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. But then you are saying that a sinner cannot place faith in Jesus Christ until they are regenerated by God, then God gives faith because you see in Ephesians 2:8-9 that faith is the gift, not grace. While I do see that the scriptures show the necessity of the convicting work of the Holy Spirit (John 8:9; 16:8 ), I don't see this idea of regeneration before belief anywhere in the scriptures. I assume you have reached this conclusion because of the first point of Calvinism: Total Depravity which Calvinists define as meaning total inability to believe or respond to God. This appears very unbiblical when compared to the message and accounts in the Bible.

In the scriptures, John the Baptist (Matthew 3:2), Jesus ( Matthew 14:7), Peter (Acts 2:38), Paul (Acts 17:30) among other apostles spoke to crowds of people and admonished all men everywhere to repent and believe on Jesus Christ for salvation and eternal life. Yet, you are saying that no one had/has the ability to repent or believe in Jesus. Is that correct? Why would John the Baptist, Jesus, Peter, Paul, the other apostles, along with preachers throughout history since the time of Christ preach the need for repentance and faith to everyone, everywhere if no one has the ability to do so? Doesn't this make these preachers of the Gospel and the biblical accounts appear irrational if people cannot truly repent or believe?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't this make these preachers of the Gospel and the biblical accounts appear irrational if people cannot truly repent or believe?

No, because God uses "means": How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

God promised that He would: And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

The faith men exercise is very real and necessary, and it aways comes as a Response. One issue with Arminian theology is that it has flipped this relationship on its head.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, because God uses "means": How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

God promised that He would: And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

The faith men exercise is very real and necessary, and it aways comes as a Response. One issue with Arminian theology is that it has flipped this relationship on its head.

God causes men to be in compromised situations.

Acts 17:26And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

This means He put them in a situation where they thought that life consisted of serving mammon to survive, to experience worldly life and find out the error in their thinking.

Don't forget, He caused Israel to become enslaved by creating the circumstance that led to that situation.

He made Joseph better than his brothers so that Jacob loved him more. He made Joseph a prophet. He probably was filled with the Holy Spirit even in the womb. He was given God's words to speak, being the mouth of God, as were all the true prophets.

He gave Joseph a dream, which he couldn't conceal, which angered his family, even his father.

This caused a chain of events that led to Israel depending on Egypt for survival.

In summary, God placed Israel in a situation where she realized that serving mammon led to a bad deal, working for a master for poor returns. He caused Israel to call on Him.

Even if God places you in a situation where you are working for the best organization in the world, have a huge salary, have great power, you realize that you are being a sellout. The work is hard (always!), your principles are compromised (always!) and your income is fleeting (always!).

So the lowliest slave cried out to God for delivery and the highest tried to drop out of the rat race:

Exodus 3:7The LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have given heed to their cry because of their taskmasters, for I am aware of their sufferings.

Hebrews 11:24By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. 25He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.

So all men are oppressed by the world. The conscience given to all men cry out for help: the SYSTEM is not compatible with our natural make up.

God invites them to explore the options He opens for them. Some men decide to accept God's way of taking risks and reaping permanent treasure. Others think the rewards don't exist and try to go back to the world SYSTEM. With them God is not pleased and swore their efforts to find a solution would never succeed.

God reveals man's situation through extremes
Men cry out for deliverance
God offers alternatives
God only calls those who choose His way
Choosing His way is the decision to be new men, be born again.
He gives His Spirit so that men can enter His rest, be IN Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You certainly can't mean the God uses means to lead people to faith, because you have already stated that a sinner cannot place their faith in Christ until God regenerates them first with no faith beforehand. So basically you must be saying that God simply gives new life to a totally depraved sinner before they repent and repentance or acknowledging Jesus as one's Savior is not necessary or even possible until after one is born again according to your perspective.
I believe you are taking the above verse completely out of context. Please read Ezekiel Chapter 36 and think about and ask God to reveal to you ...who, what, when, where, and why as you read the passage. This verse in no way supports any doctrine of Calvinism.

I realize that Calvinists like to throw out the label of Arminian as a derogatory term or an attempt to make themselves feel superior as the only ones who hold to the biblical gospel of grace, while everyone else is an Arminianist who believes in a works based gospel. But I am not a proponent of Arminian theology and think it is just as contrary to the scriptures as Calvinism.

Of course faith is necessary and always comes as a response! Who argues against that? I don't even know any hard core Arminian who would. The scriptures show faith is a response to the gospel message. John the Baptist, Jesus, Peter, Paul, the other apostles when preaching commanded repentance toward God and belief in Jesus Christ to all their listeners. They must have flipped this relationship on its head, too....at least the one Calvinists insist upon that a sinner cannot respond and does not need to as the condition to be born again.

But God's Word gives the order repeatedly...belief first THEN regeneration:
And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. John 20:30-31

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You certainly can't mean the God uses means to lead people to faith, because you have already stated that a sinner cannot place their faith in Christ until God regenerates them first with no faith beforehand. So basically you must be saying that God simply gives new life to a totally depraved sinner before they repent and repentance or acknowledging Jesus as one's Savior is not necessary or even possible until after one is born again according to your perspective.

Nope. Straw man.

God saves, by His Holy Spirit, through the preaching of His word.

God does not, "zap" a new heart into a man. He creates a new heart in a man in the same manner He created all things, He speaks them into existence. His spoken Word is the means, and that requires preachers, and preachers need to be sent, and those who are sent first need to be called. . .

The proclamation of the gospel, not apologetics, is the means that God uses to call and transform His elect. At the same time, it condemns the reprobate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. Straw man.

God saves, by His Holy Spirit, through the preaching of His word.

God does not, "zap" a new heart into a man. He creates a new heart in a man in the same manner He created all things, He speaks them into existence. His spoken Word is the means, and that requires preachers, and preachers need to be sent, and those who are sent first need to be called. . .

The proclamation of the gospel, not apologetics, is the means that God uses to call and transform His elect. At the same time, it condemns the reprobate.

Where is the straw man?
Didn't you say in post #83 that...
"I am, however saying that faith is a gift (Eph 2:8-9) and that faith follows regeneration. One cannot move from his position as an unregenerate sinner who is at enmity with God and a slave to sin, to a position of placing a faith in a God he is at war with, and hiding from because of his guilt"?

What does the Bible say is God's reason for preaching the gospel to sinners? Does the Bible say sinners cannot respond? If a sinner cannot place faith in God until God regenerates them first then what does the preaching of the gospel do from your perspective? How does God use it to call and transform? Why do you think God only calls and transforms some sinners and not all sinners? How does the gospel condemn the reprobate if they are incapable of responding?

I would like to go back to your previous comment also in post #83... "One further clarification: We are saved BY grace, THROUGH faith. Many say we are saved BY faith, but that is simply not the case."

I agree, it is not faith which saves, because Jesus saves. God's grace in Christ is the gift...But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many (Romans 5:15) . But it seems to me you, as with most Calvinists, are in confusion about this and insist that the gift in Eph. 2:8-9 is faith as if faith has some inherit power.

Upvote 0