Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For my first post here, I want to tackle the subject of questions and doubt. I have written a post about this subject here and would be interested in your feedback on how you have dealt with these issues.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For my first post here, I want to tackle the subject of questions and doubt. I have written a post about this subject here and would be interested in your feedback on how you have dealt with these issues.

I can relate to the first paragraph. Ask too many questions and you'll definitely get some hostility. I never totally abandoned faith because it simply isn't in me. I just kept searching until I found the answers.

A lot of times I've been "stuck" and wanted to give up. I just take a break for a few days and the answer comes along.

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can relate to the first paragraph. Ask too many questions and you'll definitely get some hostility. I never totally abandoned faith because it simply isn't in me. I just kept searching until I found the answers.

A lot of times I've been "stuck" and wanted to give up. I just take a break for a few days and the answer comes along.
Thank you for your reply. I notice you're in the Eastern Orthodox church and one of the theologians I like is also in that church, Brad Jersak. If you like posts like this, feel free to join the subreddit r/cruciformity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to tackle the subject of questions and doubt.
There is nothing wrong with having questions and doubts.
It is all about what you do with them that matters.

In a nutshell.
There are No New questions or doubts, a great many people have had every possible doubt or question and have found the answers, all you have to do is read them.

So depending on your question etc use google and find the answers.

Reactions: mcarans
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is healthy for us to question and challenge what we've been taught. In my case the inner experience of the fruit of the Holy Spirit, totally foreign to me, serves as evidence for my faith. So doubting Christ is never an issue. But doubting what I've been taught always is.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I agree, people think, when you ask too many questions, you are just being a troll :( it happens often on forums.

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are No New questions or doubts, a great many people have had every possible doubt or question and have found the answers, all you have to do is read them.
There may not be an answer to every question for example, the problem of evil has challenged theologians for centuries, but for the most part, you are right.

I think it is healthy for us to question and challenge what we've been taught. In my case the inner experience of the fruit of the Holy Spirit, totally foreign to me, serves as evidence for my faith. So doubting Christ is never an issue. But doubting what I've been taught always is.
That's a good way of putting it. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no doubt that there is a primordial, perhaps eternal consciousness that is the font of all that exists. And I can accept that a man had full awareness of this consciousness as his own. And that love is the primary essence of this consciousness. But everything else seems to me to be metaphor or language of analogyI belive thatwe also are expressions. Of this consciousness but do not realize it.

Upvote 0

trailmovin

long in the faith
Aug 23, 2013
✟8,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I noticed your post said “Biblical literalism can be debunked by a college freshman, but the beauty of Christ can withstand every attack” biblical literalism is an interpretative approach, and most of those folks never get beyond that, and never enter the beauty of Christ. The Bible is a book with pages to be studied by the literalism scholar, but it’s who the Bible reveals, and receiving the revelation from Christ, His very Life in all Its beauty is the hope of our salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums