Merkezköyler
✟17,769.00
Country
Turkey
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Contrary to popular opinion, the NC isn't just as simple as saying," I believe," it's a process, as detailed in Romans 8

It starts out with," For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh." The law pointed out what was wrong, but that was just condemnation. Is that bad? Far from it! But the condemnation brought along punishment without salvation.

Jesus then came down to condemn the sin just to the flesh, "thus condemned sin in the flesh."

Now it is those who walk by the flesh that are condemned in the flesh while those who walk in the Spirit are spared," so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."

Keeping with the Spirit is a process, not a one time deal, "Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit," Galatians 5.

So you not only have to say you believe, but you also must keep in step with the Spirit.

This is why," As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." James 2

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Contrary to popular opinion, the NC isn't just as simple as saying," I believe," it's a process, as detailed in Romans 8

It starts out with," For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh." The law pointed out what was wrong, but that was just condemnation. Is that bad? Far from it! But the condemnation brought along punishment without salvation.

Jesus then came down to condemn the sin just to the flesh, "thus condemned sin in the flesh."

Now it is those who walk by the flesh that are condemned in the flesh while those who walk in the Spirit are spared," so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."

Keeping with the Spirit is a process, not a one time deal, "Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit," Galatians 5.

So you not only have to say you believe, but you also must keep in step with the Spirit.

This is why," As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." James 2
so salvation is by faith or by faith and works, same old question different day

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

I see the "New Covenant" as the same Holy Covenant given to Abraham, which is why we are to have the same Faith that Abraham had. After all, Abraham is our Father of Faith. :)

Romans 4:12 NLT - "And Abraham is also the spiritual father of those who have been circumcised, but only if they have the same kind of faith Abraham had before he was circumcised."

Scripture shows us that God instilled Faith into Abraham all the way back in Genesis chapter 17 when He said:

Genesis 17:1 KJV - "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I [am] the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect."

The above represents the Circumcision of Christ, where Christ (who is God) seems to have Circumcised the Heart of Abraham and placed the Holy Edict to "Walk" before God and to be "Perfect." Of course, Abraham was not "perfect," but because of Spiritual Circumcision, he was viewed as perfect.

This is the exact same Covenant that was given also to the Gentiles, the Promise of a Circumcised Heart, so that a person would "live forever."

Galatians 3:13-14 NLT - "But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith."

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

While Paul denied in Romans 4:4-5 that we can earn our justification as a wage, he also said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the law will be justified, so there must be a reason why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith insofar as Romans 3:31 says that our faith upholds God's law.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

While there is now therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1), those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), so being in Christ enforces our obligation to obey God's law.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.. you didn''t quite post it right. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

All one has to do is read how he treated talked to all those that had sin caught in sin :) Spirit hello Luke 11:13.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Salvation is through faith. . .not by (faith's) works (Eph 2:8-9).

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While Paul denied in Romans 4:4-5 that we can earn our justification as a wage, he also said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the law will be justified, so there must be a reason why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith insofar as Romans 3:31 says that our faith upholds God's law.
and the standard reply to that statement is: if you love God you will follow His commandments. So we do works as a result of having faith not to provide evidence of our faith, nothing again, nothing that we can do will ever save us, only our faith in what Jesus did can save us.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
and the standard reply to that statement is: if you love God you will follow His commandments. So we do works as a result of having faith not to provide evidence of our faith, nothing again, nothing that we can do will ever save us, only our faith in what Jesus did can save us.
Actually, works are the evidence of faith, but that is not why we do them, we do them out of love for God.
And those works of faith do not save nor justify, only their faith saves and justifies (Eph 2:8-9, Ro 3:28).

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The Elect will obey because they have been changed by God in order that they will (obey).

Ezekiel 36:25-27 NLT - "Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations."

We see this confirmed in the New Testament:

Romans 2:28-29 NLT - "For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the ceremony of circumcision. No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by God's Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The Bible often uses the same terms to describe aspects of the nature of God as it does to describe aspects of the nature of God's law, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), and it could not be accurately described as such if it were not God's instructions for how to act in accordance with those aspects of God's nature. When we express an aspect of God's nature through our actions, we are expressing our love for that aspect of who God is, so it is not so much that doing works is the result of our love for God, but that everything that God chose to command was specifically commanded for the purpose of teaching us how to love Him, so obedience to God's commandments is intrinsically what loving God looks like. Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our obedience to it, living in obedience to it is nevertheless intrinsically part of the concept of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it.

In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God graciously teaching us to obey His law for how to do these works is itself the content of His gift of saving us from not doing them. Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is what it looks like in to have faith in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), not the result of our faith.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Good post.

Also, I might add, that we are to be led, that is to say, we must follow the Spirit as He leds and guides into all truth, which is also called obeying the truth.

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath. Romans 2:6-8

• eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

• but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath. Romans 2:6-8

At the end of the proverbial day, eternal salvation will be given to those who obey Him;
to those who obey the truth.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him. Hebrews 5:9

JLB

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

I would say the NC is Hebrews 8.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

God does (acts) and ensures the results (purpose) of those actions.

He put and writes, then he is our God and we are His people... He makes it so by intention and design.

In Him,

Bill

• Love
Reactions: Oneofhope
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes. The difference between the old and new covenants is primarily that the new consists first and formost of entering union with God, via faith, because faith is to recognize God, the God that Jesus expressesd and revealed in every word and deed, as our God, which is the right and just state of being for man. This essentially reverses/rectifies within us the choice of Adam, who failed to recognize and heed God as his God. From there God can now give us the righteousness that we were created for but cannot possibly muster on our own, apart from Him. And we must remain in Him in order to remain in that state of justice that only He can give, living the life of grace now by the Spirit. That realtionship is the very basis of justice or righteousness for man.

“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,

and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,

from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord."
Jer 31:33-34

"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. " John 17:3

As we enter the family of God, we now can, and must, live lives consistent with that fact- and challenges will come. But grace will not force itself upon us. We must participate in God's work, in His life in us. And this has been the continuous teaching of Christ's church, incidentally..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Heb:8:6-10:
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry,
by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant,
which was established upon better promises.
For if that first covenant had been faultless,
then should no place have been sought for the second.
For finding fault with them,
he saith,
Behold,
the days come,
saith the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
because they continued not in my covenant,
and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,
saith the Lord;
I will put my laws into their mind,
and write them in their hearts:
and I will be to them a God,
and they shall be to me a people:
Jer:31:31-33:
Behold,
the days come,
saith the LORD,
that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel,
and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;
which my covenant they brake,
although I was an husband unto them,
saith the LORD:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;
After those days,
saith the LORD,
I will put my law in their inward parts,
and write it in their hearts;
and will be their God,
and they shall be my people.

Jer:31:15-17:
Thus saith the LORD;
A voice was heard in Ramah,
lamentation,
and bitter weeping;
Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children,
because they were not.
Thus saith the LORD;
Refrain thy voice from weeping,
and thine eyes from tears:
for thy work shall be rewarded,
saith the LORD;
and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.
And there is hope in thine end,
saith the LORD,
that thy children shall come again to their own border.
M't:2:16-18:
Then Herod,
when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men,
was exceeding wroth,
and sent forth,
and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem,
and in all the coasts thereof,
from two years old and under,
according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.
Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet,
saying,
In Rama was there a voice heard,
lamentation,
and weeping,
and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children,
and would not be comforted,
because they are not.
Eze:37:11-21:
Then he said unto me,
Son of man,
these bones are the whole house of Israel:
behold,
they say,
Our bones are dried,
and our hope is lost:
we are cut off for our parts.
Therefore prophesy and say unto them,
Thus saith the Lord GOD;
Behold,
O my people,
I will open your graves,
and cause you to come up out of your graves,
and bring you into the land of Israel.
And ye shall know that I am the LORD,
when I have opened your graves,
O my people,
and brought you up out of your graves,
And shall put my spirit in you,
and ye shall live,
and I shall place you in your own land:
then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it,
and performed it,
saith the LORD.
The word of the LORD came again unto me,
saying,
Moreover,
thou son of man,
take thee one stick,
and write upon it,
For Judah,
and for the children of Israel his companions:
then take another stick,
and write upon it,
For Joseph,
the stick of Ephraim,
and for all the house of Israel his companions:
And join them one to another into one stick;
and they shall become one in thine hand.
And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee,
saying,
Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
Say unto them,
Thus saith the Lord GOD;
Behold,
I will take the stick of Joseph,
which is in the hand of Ephraim,
and the tribes of Israel his fellows,
and will put them with him,
even with the stick of Judah,
and make them one stick,
and they shall be one in mine hand.
And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes.
And say unto them,
Thus saith the Lord GOD;
Behold,
I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen,
whither they be gone,
and will gather them on every side,
and bring them into their own land:
Eze:39:25-29:
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD;
Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob,
and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel,
and will be jealous for my holy name;
After that they have borne their shame,
and all their trespasses whereby they have trespassed against me,
when they dwelt safely in their land,
and none made them afraid.
When I have brought them again from the people,
and gathered them out of their enemies' lands,
and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;
Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God,
which cause them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land,
and have left none of them any more there.
Neither will I hide my face any more from them:
for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel,
saith the Lord GOD.

The 10 Commandments are still the Law. OT only people cannot do a sinful act, NT people cannot think of doing a sinful act.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟14,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith without action isn’t really faith (James 2:26). So your comment is nonsensical. You are saying “faith (belief that causes action) OR faith (belief that causes action) plus action”.

Reactions: Wayne Gabler
Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Christians are supposed to feed the poor, if you don't do that willingly, you are not obeying the sheep/goats determination.

M't:25:31-35:
When the Son of man shall come in his glory,
and all the holy angels with him,
then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations:
and he shall separate them one from another,
as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand,
but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand,
Come,
ye blessed of my Father,
inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred,
and ye gave me meat:
I was thirsty,
and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger,
and ye took me in:

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith without action isn’t really faith (James 2:26). So your comment is nonsensical. You are saying “faith (belief that causes action) OR faith (belief that causes action) plus action”.
It all depends on who you decide to believe, Paul or Peter.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟14,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither Peter nor Paul nor James is the author of ANY of the Bible. Only God is the author of Scripture. And God does not make mistakes or have contradictions in His writings.

ALL Scripture must be considered before we come up with our doctrine, and that doctrine must be consistent with all Scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

I am sticking with Paul ( I am a gentile):holy:

Chrysostom (349-407): As he did also at the outset (ver. 6), being desirous by the witness of the many to establish these also. “Whereof I Paul was made a minister.” This also contributes to make it credible; “I,” saith he, “Paul a minister.” For great was his authority, as being now everywhere celebrated, and the teacher of the world. NPNF1: Vol. XIII, Homilies on the Epistle of St. Paul to the Colossians, Homily 4, Col 1:23.

Upvote 0