Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once, the fight against inappropriate contentography was the beating heart of the American culture war. Now inappropriate content is a ballooning industry- and maybe a harmful one- with no real opponents. What happened?

Continued below.
How the GOP Gave Up on inappropriate content

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Once, the fight against inappropriate contentography was the beating heart of the American culture war. Now inappropriate content is a ballooning industry- and maybe a harmful one- with no real opponents. What happened?

Continued below.

It's like a dead cat in your living room. The longer it's there the more used to it you get.

inappropriate contentography is now a lost battle of the culture wars. inappropriate contentography, even the most explicit inappropriate contentography, is now available to anyone with no age restrictions.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Continued below.
Interesting history in that article. Seems like George W. Bush gave up the fight among the Republicans.

I think the internet blew up the whole war against inappropriate content. It is lost. inappropriate content is big business. And it is universally available. The GOP couldn't fight it. Christians can't fight it. Feminists can't fight it. The best we can do is try to keep clear of it ourselves, and we're failing at that considering the number of debauched priests we have and the power they have.

About 12 years ago I was tasked with setting up a inappropriate content filter for a school district. And it worked. There are ways of doing it even easier now. If anyone needs help protecting his or her home from inappropriate content, I can help a bit. Cell phones on the other hand are more difficult. inappropriate content is damaging stuff, a great corrupter. Fighting it is a good thing, but the war is more a person by person thing, hearts and minds, one by one, in the face of overwhelming opposition.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting history in that article. Seems like George W. Bush gave up the fight among the Republicans.

I think the internet blew up the whole war against inappropriate content. It is lost. inappropriate content is big business. And it is universally available. The GOP couldn't fight it. Christians can't fight it. Feminists can't fight it. The best we can do is try to keep clear of it ourselves, and we're failing at that considering the number of debauched priests we have and the power they have.

About 12 years ago I was tasked with setting up a inappropriate content filter for a school district. And it worked. There are ways of doing it even easier now. If anyone needs help protecting his or her home from inappropriate content, I can help a bit. Cell phones on the other hand are more difficult. inappropriate content is damaging stuff, a great corrupter. Fighting it is a good thing, but the war is more a person by person thing, hearts and minds, one by one, in the face of overwhelming opposition.
My daughter has site blocks on all of my 13 almost 14 yr. old grandson's devices, his computer and phone, and age specific content set on NetFlix, anything higher than PG is PIN protected. He can't get on a website without her unblocking it and adding it to his access list.
He does use Youtube so she has given him instructions about what he is free to watch and she looks at the history of what he's watched a couple of times a week. So far he has honored his agreement with her.
It takes some added effort but it is worth it.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I forget where I read this but ages ago I found some article that talked about how President Bush and Rumsfeld were planning a major pushback against the inappropriate content industry. Tighter FCC regulations about graphic content on TV, bans of certain types of stuff altogether (if you know what I mean) and so forth. The idea was basically to create a legal quagmire so Byzantine that the courts and SCOTUS would need years to figure it all out.

That was the plan anyway.

The first meeting of their council was scheduled for September 11, but obviously something else happened that day and the W administration never looked back.

No idea if it's true. But it's nice to think someone wanted it, at least.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I forget where I read this but ages ago I found some article that talked about how President Bush and Rumsfeld were planning a major pushback against the inappropriate content industry. Tighter FCC regulations about graphic content on TV, bans of certain types of stuff altogether (if you know what I mean) and so forth. The idea was basically to create a legal quagmire so Byzantine that the courts and SCOTUS would need years to figure it all out.

That was the plan anyway.

The first meeting of their council was scheduled for September 11, but obviously something else happened that day and the W administration never looked back.

No idea if it's true. But it's nice to think someone wanted it, at least.
I have heard something similar, that Bush could fight one war but not two at a time and this one lost out. Bush was a decent guy and I did not mean to even hint that he gave up on inappropriate content because he didn't care or was in bed with the inappropriate content industry.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have heard something similar, that Bush could fight one war but not two at a time and this one lost out. Bush was a decent guy and I did not mean to even hint that he gave up on inappropriate content because he didn't care or was in bed with the inappropriate content industry.
The nicest way I can say it is that W was a real piece of work and I’m glad that I never voted for him.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bush could fight one war but not two at a time

I wish someone would have explained that to him before He took his eye off Afghanistan invaded Iraq, who didn't attack us.

What a different world this would be.

Upvote 0