Should same-sex relationships be recognised in the Church? How?

• Same-sex marriage (support)

• Civil unions (support)

• Services of thanksgiving (prayers of support)

• No recognition

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I could argue as well that the underlying theme abandonment of all exclusive social ties and absorption into a Body in which all personal connections are platonic and equal.
I think being equal is a great thing. One of the problems that many people have with the term 'marriage' in the first place is that past understandings of 'marriage' have subjugated women, considered women property as is the case in the ancient Near East including the Ten Commandments, and have reinforced patriarchal sexism. That is why many couples, including some heterosexual couples, prefer civil partnership that is an institution with all/most the rights of marriage, the same family ties, and which is free to explore committed relationship outside of the often negative connotations associated with the history of 'marriage.'

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I could argue as well that the underlying theme abandonment of all exclusive social ties and absorption into a Body in which all personal connections are platonic and equal.
That said, I think that the institution of marriage today is quite clearly and starkly different from marriages in the past. There is a strong intent today to encourage equality between the spouses. So, I am of the opinion that we should support marriage for same-sex couples too as well as other partnerships.

Upvote 0