newburgh
✟115,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that ethe man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” Proverbs 3:5 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” So what should we take from the Bible when we read it?

There are two ways of teaching...you can teach by rote, or to instill others to think for themselves. God to a certain extent allows us to think, but the thinking we do as far as He is concerned is toward accepting what He tells us, even if it goes beyond our understanding of things.

The Bible contains things that have come to pass, and that will come to pass, and somewhere in the middle it contains symbolism and substance, things and ideas. It can serve as the pit of our fears and call on the summit of our imagination. At some point in our journeys it has joined us to show us the rest of the way.

There seem to be inconsistencies, to be sure, but God does not expect us to address the inconsistencies, he expects us to accept them as a given. Many of us are reasoning human beings by nature, but in terms of God if we give our reasoning for our own purposes the first priority instead of working to accept what God has told us in the Bible first and then thinking of how to apply what He has said, we will never understand what He wants from us.

Some have perceived anachronisms in the Bible, which are inconsistencies of time. How is it, for example, some ask, that the Bible has David speaking in terms of walls that haven’t been built yet, or an alter that hasn’t been set up? But what is the point? As far as the Scriptures are concerned, it doesn’t matter that alters and walls are mentioned in the Psalms, or if they were to be mentioned in the first few sentences of the Book of Genesis. In the Bible, all verses matter regardless of where they show up, and they are there to teach, train, correct and train us toward righteousness.

From perhaps another angle, consider the Book of Revelation. None of what is mentioned in there has come to pass, at least in a tangible sense, but John speaks of those things as if they are happening as he tells us.

In short, in the Bible, things like time, place and people are irrelevant...it is what God says that matters, regardless of who, what, when or where.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are two ways of teaching

Basic rule in life is that one allows a speaker the benefit of any doubt or what they say is true untill proved to be false.

This should be applied to the Bible
A second rule is far harder to follow.
We have to learn to read what the Bible does say rather than what we think or want it to say.
In theological terms we read out of the Bible what it does say rather than reading into it what we think/want it to say.

Lastly we let the Bible comment on its self.

Often the easy way of doing this is to get commentaries on the Bible and to read them together with the Bible.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find the best way to read the bible is according to the instructions on how to read it, in the bible.

A good place to start is when Jesus answers the question "what is the greatest commandment in the law?"

Identifying priority matters is important, because the bible has a lot of data - and in many cases the matters expressed with the majority of the words is not the main issue - when the main issue is explained, it tends to be explained in few words as if it was always the point.

Some passages sum up concepts with lots of explanation elsewhere, it's good to keep an eye out for these.

When I read a passage I think, how can this be applied? If this is not clear, this needs to be determined before any of the philosophical stuff I really really want to know.

I find when reading a list of behavior and teaching on it, consider that you are not contradicting the list in the manner of teaching. i.e. 10 commandments, but do you "covet" to control the people you are preaching to?

There are others, but they become more apparent as we pray and read.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I read the Bible -- actually several Bible translations -- and just let the message "sink in". I make a conscious effort to not approach Scripture with the idea of justifying predetermined my thoughts and ideas, i.e., prove myself right.

I try, as much as possible, to open my mind, heart, and spirit to receive from God what He wants me to have each day. I don't look for Scripture to agree with other parts of Scripture or to justify my doctrine, but to be as open and receptive as possible to what God wants me to receive.

It's difficult on this forum to read posts that justify somebody's private interpretation, the "hidden" meaning revealed only to them.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I read the Bible -- actually several Bible translations -- and just let the message "sink in". I make a conscious effort to not approach Scripture with the idea of justifying predetermined my thoughts and ideas, i.e., prove myself right.

I try, as much as possible, to open my mind, heart, and spirit to receive from God what He wants me to have each day. I don't look for Scripture to agree with other parts of Scripture or to justify my doctrine but to be as open and receptive as possible.

It's difficult on this forum to read posts that justify somebody's private interpretation, the "hidden" meaning revealed only to them.
Audio bible is perfect for this, the mind is absorbing the scripture so fast it just needs to listen.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Audio bible is perfect for this, the mind is absorbing the scripture so fast it just needs to listen.

In general I agree with this, but I find that the audio bible readers try to sound "holy" or to imitate what they think God sounds like. IMHO it takes away from the plain interpretation of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In general I agree with this, but I find that the audio bible readers try to sound "holy" or to imitate what they think God sounds like. IMHO it takes away from the plain interpretation of Scripture.
Finding a good reading is difficult sometimes.

Some websites that sell audio bibles have a distinction between a plain reading and dramatic reading.

There usually is a sample of what the reading sounds like.

The advantage of this approach is that the bible was originally taught by it being read out loud.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Finding a good reading is difficult sometimes.

Some websites that sell audio bibles have a distinction between a plain reading and dramatic reading.

There usually is a sample of what the reading sounds like.

The advantage of this approach is that the bible was originally taught by it being read out loud.

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Basic rule in life is that one allows a speaker the benefit of any doubt or what they say is true untill proved to be false.
YOUR basic rule of life, not mine. I am sure that you will win all kinds of "likes" and applause from humanists and worldly minded for your statement but I try to follow God's Word not to trust any human, ESPECIALLY when it comes to when they are talking about Christian beliefs, values, ideologies, and the like; JUST AS WE ARE ADMONISHED TO DO BY GOD IN HIS WORD:

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 Jn 4:1 NIV

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans." Ps 118:8 NIV

"Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength." – Jeremiah 17:5 NKJV

"Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." Acts 17:11

" But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;" 1 Thes 5:21 NASB

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. " 2 Tim 4:3-4 NIV

"Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said."1 Cor 14: 29

"Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with the woman who lies in your embrace guard the words of your lips." Micah 7:5 NIV

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Probably not the best way to do it but im going in order and reading 2 pages a day. Fortunately i listened to sermons and watched many teachings before ever reading the bible so most of it hasnt been difficult to understand except parts of Leviticus and Deuteronomy

Last edited:
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
YOUR basic rule of life, not mine. I am sure that you will win all kinds of "likes" and applause from humanists and worldly minded for your statement but I try to follow God's Word not to trust any human, ESPECIALLY when it comes to when they are talking about Christian beliefs, values, ideologies, and the like; JUST AS WE ARE ADMONISHED TO DO BY GOD IN HIS WORD:

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 Jn 4:1 NIV

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans." Ps 118:8 NIV

"Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength." – Jeremiah 17:5 NKJV

"Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." Acts 17:11

" But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;" 1 Thes 5:21 NASB

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. " 2 Tim 4:3-4 NIV

"Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said."1 Cor 14: 29

"Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with the woman who lies in your embrace guard the words of your lips." Micah 7:5 NIV

I am praying for you! You must suffer so much being so suspicious of those whom God loves.

Here are two verses that you should memorize and repeat throughout the day: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1 John 4-7-8

• Prayers
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PESCADOR, THE VARIOUS SCRIPTURE WHICH I GAVE, AND I, WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT LOVE, BUT RATHER TRUST AND THAT ANY AND ALL CHRISTIAN TEACHING NEED BE VERIFIED THROUGH SCRIPTURE. GOD'S WORD, AS I CLEARLY SHOWED, SAYS THAT IT WAS VERY H0NORABLE FOR THE BEREANS TO EVEN VERIFY WHAT THE APOSTLE PAUL TAUGHT AGAINST SCRIPTURE. GOD'S WORD ALSO, AS I ABUNDANTLY SHOWED, TELLS US NOT TO TRUST MAN/HUMANS. IF YOU ARE PRAYING FOR ME BECAUSE I HAVE CHOSEN TO TRY TO OBEY GOD'S WORD, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I AM REGULARLY ENTICED OR TEMPTED TO BE FOOLISH AND TRUST IN MAN. PLEASE PRAY THAT I WILL BE STRONG AND OBEY GOD'S WORD. AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS. i WILL PRAY FOR YOU THAT YOU ALSO WILL NOT BE TEMPTED TO BE FOOLISH.

YOU SEEM TO FORGET THAT JESUS, WHO IT IS OUR LIFE'S MISSION TO EMULATE WAS A "MAN OF SORROWS." JESUS LOVED MAN, YET HE DID NOT TRUST MAN. JESUS IS THE WORD MADE FLESH AND THE WORD IS GOD. (JOHN 1:1-16 ESV) ALL THE VERSES I GIVE ABOVE IN POST #9 ARE PART OF HIS COMPOSURE AND THIS, "“THE HEART IS MORE DECEITFUL THAN ANYTHING ELSE AND MORTALLY SICK. WHO CAN FATHOM IT?" (JER 17:9 CJB) IN MATTHEW 10 WHEN JESUS SENT HIS DISCIPLES OUT ON THEIR FIRST MISSIONARY JOURNEY JESUS CAUTIONED THEM TO BE "SHREWD AS VIPERS (AND INNOCENT AS DOVES)" IN THEIR DEALINGS WITH PEOPLE. SHREWD DOES NOT TRUST WITHOUT VERIFICATION OR NOT IN ANY CASE. JESUS' SEEMINGLY MOST LOVED DISCIPLE, PETER, BETRAYED JESUS THREE TIMES AND RESORTED TO A WORLDLY RESPONSE WHEN THE ROMAN GUARD CAME TO ARREST JESUS. JESUS, OUR LORD AND SAVIOR SAID,
"“WHAT COMES OUT OF A PERSON IS WHAT DEFILES HIM. FOR FROM WITHIN, OUT OF THE HEART OF MAN, COME EVIL THOUGHTS, SEXUAL IMMORALITY, THEFT, MURDER, ADULTERY, COVETING, WICKEDNESS, DECEIT, SENSUALITY, ENVY, SLANDER, PRIDE, FOOLISHNESS. ALL THESE EVIL THINGS COME FROM WITHIN, AND THEY DEFILE A PERSON." MARK 7:20-23 ESV HE LOVED US BEYOND MEASURE BUT HE DID NOT TRUST US. YES, HE WAS VERY LONELY AND I AM SURE HEART SICK IN HIS DEALING WITH MAN. ARE WE BETTER THAN HIM, GOD, TO EXPECT BETTER FOR OURSELVES ESP. WITH IT BEING OUR MISSION TO EMULATE HIM? WHAT DID JESUS TELL US WE ARE TO DO IF WE WANT TO BE A FOLLOWER OF HIS? DENY OUR SELF AND TAKE UP OUR CROSS. WHERE WAS JESUS AT WHEN HE HAD TO TAKE UP HIS CROSS? ENJOYING WORLDLY PLEASURES, BATHING HIMSELF IN ALL KINDS OF PRAISE AND WORSHIP FROM HIS POPULARITY, REALIZING PROSPERITY, ENJOYING ALL KINDS OF WONDERFUL PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS? HIS VERY OWN, THE 12, ONE COULD SAY HIS MOST INTIMATE FRIENDS, ABANDONED HIM. ARE WE BETTER THAN JESUS TO EXPECT THAT OUR CROSS-BEARING IS SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER FOR US? WHO, WHAT ARE WE? ISA 64:6; RO 3:23, RO 7:24

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE THIS WE SHOULD DO THIS ELSEWHERE. CONVERSATION? I ONLY NEEDED TO ADDRESS A FALLACY ACCORDING TO GOD'S WORD IN ANOTHER'S FUNDAMENTAL REASONING OF WHICH THEY IMPOSED UPON ALL BY SAYING "BASIC RULE OF LIFE" IN ADDRESSING THIS THREAD'S TOPIC. THAT ONE IS OF COURSE FREE TO HAVE WHATEVER OPINION MAKES THEM FEEL GOOD BUT NOT FREE TO IMPOSE SUCH UPON ANOTHER. YOUR RESPONDING TO ME AND THE WAY YOU DID IT IS DISTRACTING TO THE TOPIC AT HAND BUT I NEEDED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that ethe man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” Proverbs 3:5 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” So what should we take from the Bible when we read it?

There are two ways of teaching...you can teach by rote, or to instill others to think for themselves. God to a certain extent allows us to think, but the thinking we do as far as He is concerned is toward accepting what He tells us, even if it goes beyond our understanding of things.

The Bible contains things that have come to pass, and that will come to pass, and somewhere in the middle it contains symbolism and substance, things and ideas. It can serve as the pit of our fears and call on the summit of our imagination. At some point in our journeys it has joined us to show us the rest of the way.

There seem to be inconsistencies, to be sure, but God does not expect us to address the inconsistencies, he expects us to accept them as a given. Many of us are reasoning human beings by nature, but in terms of God if we give our reasoning for our own purposes the first priority instead of working to accept what God has told us in the Bible first and then thinking of how to apply what He has said, we will never understand what He wants from us.

Some have perceived anachronisms in the Bible, which are inconsistencies of time. How is it, for example, some ask, that the Bible has David speaking in terms of walls that haven’t been built yet, or an alter that hasn’t been set up? But what is the point? As far as the Scriptures are concerned, it doesn’t matter that alters and walls are mentioned in the Psalms, or if they were to be mentioned in the first few sentences of the Book of Genesis. In the Bible, all verses matter regardless of where they show up, and they are there to teach, train, correct and train us toward righteousness.

From perhaps another angle, consider the Book of Revelation. None of what is mentioned in there has come to pass, at least in a tangible sense, but John speaks of those things as if they are happening as he tells us.

In short, in the Bible, things like time, place and people are irrelevant...it is what God says that matters, regardless of who, what, when or where.

God makes sure that we understand His intentions by having two or more authors cover the important stuff. So we can check God's word using that as a guideline. Everything in scripture remains in its context, eternally. Dreams are dreams, visions are visions, lamentations are lamentations, and advice is advice.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read the Bible seeking the truth or context what God is saying. As has been already stated it helps when there is more than one God-Inspired writer on a topic. But we must also keep in mind that all of these writers were writing as the Word of God was "breathed" into them. For that reason just one writer relaying God's Breathed Word can be just as pertinent. But it does help for our understanding and accuracy to get the context of the message. Sometimes that involves reading from several different books of the Bible as although the writers lived and wrote over millennia of years, God lived though all of the writings and was of one mind for all writings. I use a Thompson's Chain Reference Bible for that reason as it connects many verses throughout the Bible in a chain of of topical relevance. Sometimes I also use an Amplified Bible and I have the encyclopedia, "The Interpreter's Bible" which I inherited from my Grandfather. I think the most important thing to be constantly mindful of is to deny ourselves; our desires, our agendas, our self-interests, and our evil intents so that our perception gained will be truly God-Inspired and NOT self-inspired. The other thing, which is more difficult for me, is to NOT read the Bible seeking understanding and blessing for our self but rather seeking ways in which we can be of service to and sacrifice for others. Jesus, speaking of the two things a follower of His should do, also said that we should take up our cross in order to follow Him. Matthew 16:24 In that verse, the Word made flesh told us how to read Him, so to speak. Or, at least, the frame of mind which we should have if we are Christian, IMO.

Knowing any and every Word of the Bible, OT or NT, is to know Jesus, the Word made flesh. Incidentally, when the phrase "the Word made flesh" was used to describe Jesus, the ONLY Word at that time was the OT commonly known today as the Tanakh, which is based upon in the Mishnah and Talmud. IRONIC, when one thinks of all those Christians who think that the OT is irrelevant to Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I read the Bible seeking the truth or context what God is saying. As has been already stated it helps when there is more than one God-Inspired writer on a topic. But we must also keep in mind that all of these writers were writing as the Word of God was "breathed" into them. For that reason just one writer relaying God's Breathed Word can be just as pertinent. But it does help for our understanding and accuracy to get the context of the message. Sometimes that involves reading from several different books of the Bible as although the writers lived and wrote over millennia of years, God lived though all of the writings and was of one mind for all writings. I use a Thompson's Chain Reference Bible for that reason as it connects many verses throughout the Bible in a chain of of topical relevance. Sometimes I also use an Amplified Bible and I have the encyclopedia, "The Interpreter's Bible" which I inherited from my Grandfather. I think the most important thing to be constantly mindful of is to deny ourselves; our desires, our agendas, our self-interests, and our evil intents so that our perception gained will be truly God-Inspired and NOT self-inspired.

Why is your "signature" at such odds with your posts? In it you say, "God loves you unconditionally and His salvation and eternity with Him is a free gift which we must chose to receive", then you go on in your post to say, "I think the most important thing to be constantly mindful of is to deny ourselves; our desires, our agendas, our self-interests, and our evil intents so that our perception gained will be truly God-Inspired and NOT self-inspired." The first shows that we receive a free gift from God; the second is clearly stating justification by works.

This thread is about how the Bible should be read. The Bible should be read for what it is: God's words to humanity, expressed through Spirit-filled authors. This is not the place to judge Christian behavior of others by your standards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is your "signature" at such odds with your posts? In it you say, "God loves you unconditionally and His salvation and eternity with Him is a free gift which we must chose to receive", then you go on in your post to say, "I think the most important thing to be constantly mindful of is to deny ourselves; our desires, our agendas, our self-interests, and our evil intents so that our perception gained will be truly God-Inspired and NOT self-inspired." The first shows that we receive a free gift from God; the second is clearly stating justification by works.

This thread is about how the Bible should be read. The Bible should be read for what it is: God's words to humanity, expressed through Spirit-filled authors. This is not the place to judge Christian behavior of others by your standards.
Firstly, we are saved by grace but we are saved so that afterwards we can perform good works for the glory of Jesus.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus (our becoming a new creation in Christ Jesus/our salvation) to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephes 2:8-10 NIV

I was not doing that. I was only telling that person not to impose upon all humanity his erroneous, however entitled, opinion. He based his whole post upon that flawed presumption that his opinion was a "basic rule of life." I was trying to give the course of the thread more structural integrity; relevancy and truth.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An interesting exposition from a series of sermons which my wife and I have been watching addresses throughout its course very succinctly how we should read Bible and is found below but this is not the result of searching for a "best" or most appropriate link. It is from September and we just watched it as we are playing "catch up" with Leading the Way for our several online Sunday sermons.

Healthy Living in a Sick World (Part 19)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
YOUR basic rule of life, not min

It is what is applied in every walk of life, including you.
When your wife tells what happened durring her day, do you ask for evidence and proof of what she tells you?
It is the same in a court of law, statements are made and are believed untill shown not to be true.

It is the same with the Bible, it is the word of God and should be believed, but God is not insulted if we seek to check it out.

As with your wife or a court case so a preacher is given the benefit of the doubt, but if as a mature Christian one thinks his message is odd then one checks it out and can challenge him.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what should we take from the Bible when we read it?

You ask a lot of good questions in this post. Some things in the scriptures are easily understood, should be taken at face value, and immediately applied. For example, when Jesus says we should love as he loved us. Or, love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Other things in the scriptures are not to be taken at face value. For instance, when Jesus says if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. So, it's always good to look at what Christians have said about such a passage before we go ripping our eye out.

All that to say, we have two thousand years of interpretation available to us to help our understanding. We're not in this alone. There is no such thing as a Lone Ranger Christian, so take advantage of the wisdom of others.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, we are saved by grace but we are saved so that afterwards we can perform good works for the glory of Jesus.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus (our becoming a new creation in Christ Jesus/our salvation) to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephes 2:8-10 NIV

I was not doing that. I was only telling that person not to impose upon all humanity his erroneous, however entitled, opinion. He based his whole post upon that flawed presumption that his opinion was a "basic rule of life." I was trying to give the course of the thread more structural integrity; relevancy and truth.

Nothing in scripture has lasting value unless confirmed by multiple writers of the known 40.

Upvote 0