How Should I Feel About This Man?

vahavtah157

Jun 15, 2012
✟7,652.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am convinced that those who are close to heaven have certain access to the secrets revealed there. I have had two men at the ends of their lives tell me that I am going to find a great man. I truly believe that. Now, I am 24 and my dating history is **cough** interesting and skimpy, for better or for worse. But believing the promise, as I do, it is virtually impossible to keep that from being at the forefront of my mind when there is a spark between me and someone else. In the past, it has always been abundantly clear to me that those whom I have left behind were left for a good reason. But there is this new guy that I am interested in, but I can't quite put my finger on whether or not he is my "great man".

The first day I met him, I had a very Rebekah-at-the-well moment. I don't often pray causally, but this day I did, and I got the answer that floored me. I was sitting in the left-most seat of an empty five-seat row. (We are a very tiny church.) He had been sitting in the back but moved up to sit in the farthest right seat. At one point we both were up and when I went back to sit down I prayed, "LORD, I will move one seat in towards the middle. If he sits back in that same seat, then we will just be friends. If he sits one seat in towards me, I will pursue this." Sure enough, he moved in. I couldn't believe it! Well, of course, that meant I had to pursue it! I gave him a ride home that day, we talked, and we have since expressed an interest in each other, but nothing serious. (He was visiting schools at the time and actually lives 500 miles away! But that is a different issue altogether.)

My problem is that, on paper, he is perfect for me! The fact alone that I met him at church is huge. My denomination is relatively small and it's not easy to meet guys my age. But not only that, he is fervent for study, as am I. He wants to be in leadership, which I think is awesome.

All that said, he is younger than me. He is younger in the faith than me. He has this calling for leadership but I think that he has a long way to go before he gets there. (Not that I am putting him down for that, but it is a factor.) I also know that at this point in time, some people I know would probably voice objection to us becoming anything serious. People that look out for me that I know have expressed some concern with him (immaturity, carelessness, flakiness). All this from people who I don't think know that there is anything between us, so I think I am getting untainted opinions. I know that all those things can change, so I don't really want to put him down just yet.

I want a man that is going to be my leader. My household's spiritual leader. I feel like I can't have that with a guy that isn't where I am. I give him the benefit of the doubt because we both have high aspirations and I don't doubt that he may be great some day. But how do I know whether he is my "great man"? At what point to I commit myself to him or hold out for someone amazing? How long did it take for you to know that you could submit to your husband's leadership wholeheartedly. Fact is, I want to do that. But I won't do so until I am sure that he is the right one to submit to.

vahavtah157

Jun 15, 2012
✟7,652.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In a way I have been listening to the opinion of others. I respect these people and what they have to say, so I don't think it's right to ignore them completely. However, I do have a slightly similar opinion when it comes to his maturity level and some of his initiative. I hate to be too critical because I do like him. And when we talk, he does make me happy. But I don't know how to feel about the somewhat miraculous things about the situation versus some of the hang ups I have about him. I do pray about it a lot.

Upvote 0