Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My mother and I live with my mom's boyfriend. She's not married to him, nor does he plan on proposing anytime soon, and I'm pretty sure they're having sex outside of marriage. I know that my mom knows premarital sex is wrong, and she's told me before that she felt like God was telling her to leave her boyfriend, but she hasn't. I want to help her, but I don't know how to confront her. Whenever I mention that I disapprove of their relationship, she says stuff like, "you're just a teenager, you don't know what's good for me! I'm your mother, you don't get to tell me how to live! Maybe when you fall in love you'll understand why I can't leave him..." How can I respectfully tell her that her premarital sexual relationship is wrong?

• Prayers
Reactions: Kit Sigmon

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What you should do is submit all that to God and trust Him... and you keep
walking humbly with the Lord.

Your mother knows she's in sin...that's why you get the "push backs".
Lesson here...don't follow your flesh/heart into sinfulness.

Nothing wrong with falling in love but that don't mean you are to set
aside honoring God and His Word when you be in love.
Use God's Word to keep in check your feelings/heart/thoughts...in short,
guard your heart....don't count on your love interest to do that.

I would also advise that you connect with godly ladies who are known for being
spiritually sound...you need a solid support system that has godly advisors, mentors and prayer partners.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree with Kit. Sometimes our relatives cause us so much pain because we want what is best for them, and it feels so backward when the child is concerned about the mother's lifestyle. I struggled with that myself. But someone told me that I could learn to not imitate her behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: Kit Sigmon
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Whatever you tell her, you can't expect her to receive it well.

Did she raise you in the Christian faith? Or did she at least teach you not to have sex before marriage? If so, you have a hook. Live according to those good values. When she eventually sees that you do, then you're laying on a guilt trip without having to lay it on directly.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
My mother and I live with my mom's boyfriend. She's not married to him, nor does he plan on proposing anytime soon, and I'm pretty sure they're having sex outside of marriage. I know that my mom knows premarital sex is wrong, and she's told me before that she felt like God was telling her to leave her boyfriend, but she hasn't. I want to help her, but I don't know how to confront her. Whenever I mention that I disapprove of their relationship, she says stuff like, "you're just a teenager, you don't know what's good for me! I'm your mother, you don't get to tell me how to live! Maybe when you fall in love you'll understand why I can't leave him..." How can I respectfully tell her that her premarital sexual relationship is wrong?

You can't. It's not your place. You are 100%, and she is 100% wrong, but you are simply not in the position to be telling her anything. She is your mother. You are her daughter. She doesn't want your advice on sex, and she isn't going to listen to you on this.

Some day when you have kids, and they try and tell you how to live, you'll understand how difficult it is to take advice from someone that sucked on your breast, and you had to wash their butt.

Again, you are 100% right on this. You know that she is not doing right according to G-d's word.

But you simply are not in a position to tell her either way. You need to accept this pain, and let her learn the lesson the hard way. Pray that G-d will judge her hard enough, to bring her to repent.

But you must step back. You must refrain from speaking.

Upvote 0