How should Christians apply the Parable of the Ten Virgins to their lives?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 25:1-12 (ESV):

“Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7 Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

How should Christians apply the Parable of the Ten Virgins to their lives? How can a Christian make sure that he/she is part of the wise virgins and not part of the foolish? Are there any denominations that teach in a concrete and practical way "how to keep one's lamp full of oil" (verses 3-4) and "how to be known by the Lord" (verse 12)?

Last edited:
Reactions: GospelS

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

“Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7 Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

How should Christians apply the Parable of the Ten Virgins to their lives? How should a Christian make sure that he/she is part of the wise virgins and not part of the foolish? Are there any denominations that teach in a concrete and practical way "how to keep one's lamp full of oil" (verses 3-4) and "how to be known by the Lord" (verse 12)?
Find out what true wisdom is, etc, and "be and act (and behave and do) wisely", etc...

Even in, and maybe even "especially in", etc, your emotions and with your "love", etc...

But also in and with all your resources also, etc...

And I mean "resources" in the most broadest definition of the word that is possible, etc...

Then temper and/or balance that in and with your emotions and with your love, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Apply yourself to the Word and first know you are saved. The unwise virgins are the lost who never really knew the Lord nor were saved and redeemed. Seek the Gospel through the Scripture and be sure of your own salvation, then put your gift to work to be the salt and light to the rest of the world, that through your shinning they see the light of Christ and thus also be saved. Once saved, we should see what the Lord has for us to do for the body of Christ (the church).

The main message I get from this passage is to stay busy doing the work of the Lord until He comes for us. That does not mean to quit your job and source of income, but through your work to serve your family, community, nation, and first and foremost your Lord.

The one thing you never want to hear from the Lord is those terrifying words "I never knew you". I do all I can in this life to make sure in the next I hear "well done my good and faithful servant". And now you know why I chose my screenname title, just below my screenname Jeffwhosoever.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,710.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
how to keep one's lamp full of oil" (verses 3-4) and "how to be known by the Lord" (verse 12)?

By following, meditating, and praying sincerely and regularly, the word of God.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

How should Christians apply the Parable of the Ten Virgins to their lives? How can a Christian make sure that he/she is part of the wise virgins and not part of the foolish? Are there any denominations that teach in a concrete and practical way "how to keep one's lamp full of oil" (verses 3-4) and "how to be known by the Lord" (verse 12)?

This will help you:

CHURCH FATHERS: Homily 78 on Matthew (Chrysostom)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

God's law is His instructions for how to experientially know Him through expressing His nature, which is why there are many verses that associate growing in grace and knowledge of God and of Christ with our obedience to them. In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not know God and refuse to know Him because in 9:13, they had forsaken God's law, while in 9:24, those who know God know that He delights in practicing steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in all the earth, so delight in expressing those and other aspects of God's nature through our obedience to His law is the way to know God and Jesus, who is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3). In Genesis 18:19, God knew Abraham that so he will teach his children and those of His household to keep His ways by doing righteousness and justice so that the Lord may bring to him all that He has promised him, namely that through his offspring all of the nations of the earth would be blessed. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by making known to him His ways that he might know Him and Israel too, and there are many verses that describe God's law as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, and Psalms 103:7, and God's ways are aspects of His nature. In 1 John 2:4, those who say that they know Christ, but don't obey his commands a liars and the truth is not in them, and in 1 John 3:4-6, sin is the transgression of God's law and those who continue to practice sin have neither seen or known him.

God's will has been made known through His law (Psalms 40:8), and in Matthew 7:21-23, Jesus said that only those who do the will of the Father will enter the Kingdom of Heaven and that he would tell those who are workers of lawless to depart from him because he never knew them, so God's law is God's instructions for how to know Christ, which means that we can infer in regard to what the Kingdom of Heaven is like in the Parable of the Ten Virgins that the reason why he would say that he didn't know them was also because they were workers of lawlessness, and indeed, the lamp is representative of God's law and the oil is representative of good deeds in obedience to it.

In Psalms 119:105-106, David said that God's word is a lamp unto his feet and a light unto his path and that he has sworn and oath and confirmed that that he would keep God's righteous laws. In Proverbs 6:23, the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life. God's law is nothing but head knowledge unless we keep it in the same way that a lamp is nothing without oil. In Jewish tradition, oil symbolizes good deeds:

"Now oil symbolizes good deeds, as it is written: “A good name is better than good oil” (Kohelet 7:1). We also read in Tanna D’vei Eliyahu Rabba: “Oil always represents good deeds. In fact, ‘Your oils are better than fragrance’ means: ‘Your deeds are better than fragrance.’ ” "

"Mixed with oil – that is Torah, which is required to be mixed with good deeds; like that which we learned (Avot 2:2)" (Bamidbar Rabbah 13).

Likewise:
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven (Matthew 5:15-16).

In Matthew 25:1, Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven is like 10 virgins, so all 10 are in the Kingdom, but only 5 made it to the supper. Jesus went on to say in Matthew 5:19 that those who breaks the least of these commandments or teaches others to do the same would be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven, while whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. In James 2:18, faith without deeds is useless just as a lamp without oil is useless. The five foolish virgins had the lamp, so they had God's law and the words of Jesus, but they had no good deeds, which served to judge them as not being worthy of the supper because they knew to do good, but did not do it. In Matthew 5:20, Jesus said unless our righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven, so our deed don't earn our entrance into the Kingdom because our entrance only comes through faith, but they do determine whether we are invited to the supper:

"Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. 9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God” (Revelation 19:6-9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In another place in God's word, Jesus says "be ready" > in Matthew 24:44 >

"'Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.'" (Matthew 24:44)

So, in other words, you could be asking, how do we make sure we are "ready"?

Well, it could be like if you are getting ready to get married or to go on a family vacation. What is the best way to prepare? Have joy with each other, about what you are going to do . . . especially appreciating how you will be with each other . . . not only what you hope to do.

After all, when Jesus selected His disciples, He did not choose them only for what He could use them to do, but we have >

"He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them forth to preach," (in Mark 3:14).

Like this, I would say, our basic calling is to be with Jesus in His love and joy and peace, and to share as His family in this love. Yes, we might now think of Mary who "sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word," as Luke 10:39 says. She did not just run around trying to do things to impress and please Jesus. But her sister Martha was quite busy doing things in order to serve Jesus, and she tried then to interfere with Mary sitting at Jesus' feet. But Jesus stood up for Mary, not for Martha!! He said,

“Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” (in Luke 10:38-42)

So, first be with Jesus and one another as His family, the way He has us becoming in His love, and sharing as His family so we are ready to be like this and do this sharing in the Rapture.

And make sure that all we do is in submission to our becoming like Christ and sharing as His family in love and joy and peace >

"Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

So, forgiving helps us to stay ready. Make sure your forgiving is up-to-date :)

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Here's the complete parable:

Matthew 25:1-13 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.​

Symbols:
  • Lamp - The word of God (Psalms 119:105)
  • Oil - The Holy Spirit (Zechariah 4:2-6; Revelation 4:5)
The Holy Spirit is required for discernment of the word of God. Thus, you can't receive the light without the oil.

Just what would cause Christians not to have the Holy Spirit?
  • Lukewarmness (Revelation 3:14-19)
  • A falling way; Apostasy (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4)
This parable is not only a lesson for the Christian, but also a prophecy—that there would be a falling away in the end time, an apostasy. Lukewarm Christianity would be prevalent. Jesus said they will be turned away, because He never knew them (Matthew 7:21-23, Revelation 3:15-19).

How to keep one's lamp full?
  • Be a devout Christian.
    • Have faith (Matthew 17:20, Mark 11:22).
    • Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17).
    • Quench not the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19).
    • Seek Him diligently (Jeremiah 29:13, Hebrews 11:6).
    • Read the word of God (Matthew 4:4, Proverbs 30:5).
    • Turn away from the world (1 John 2:15, Revelation 18:4).
    • Be sober and watch, because He comes as a thief (1 Thessalonians 5:6, 1 Peter 4:7, 1 Thessalonians 5:2, Revelation 16:15).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 25:1-12 (ESV): How should Christians apply the Parable of the Ten Virgins to their lives? How can a Christian make sure that he/she is part of the wise virgins and not part of the foolish? Are there any denominations that teach in a concrete and practical way "how to keep one's lamp full of oil" (verses 3-4) and "how to be known by the Lord" (verse 12)?

Becoming a bride, or missing out with being locked behind closed doors with the bridegroom is a situation where having an expectation of getting into the kingdom of heaven doesn't mean that that expectation will come to fruition.

Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Even having a recognized zeal for God doesn't work if we miss the truth because we didn't go to scripture to get to truth but merely to justify what we want to believe and do.

Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God's righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.

This is another warning to be diligent to make sure that our standing with God is exactly as we believe it is. Prepare NOW. Check NOW. You think you have it right. You think you are prepared. NOW is the time to keep on continually verifying with every passage that might apply that we do indeed pass the test.

2Co 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test? 6 But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test.

And this is a part of a long discussion on the topic. Here are some other passages in that same discussion so we interpret the above in context.

2Co 10:12 For we are not bold to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding.

Every belief group knows they are right and that they have the truth. Have you noticed that? Every group has what it needs to prove their beliefs correct and all other opposing views false. And, since all of their beliefs are "fact" the only correct interpretation of all valid data must, of course line up with the truth of their beliefs. But that's how you hold fast to your beliefs "as" truth, not how we get to truth.

2Co 11:13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.

Upvote 0