Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
How Republicans Won Phase One Of Impeachment

With the likely conclusion of Rep. Adam Schiff’s impeachment proceedings, it’s worth taking a step back and looking at how things went for the majority Democrats and minority Republicans on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Democrats ideally would have started their inquiry with credible bipartisan support and run things in such a way that public opinion developed in their favor. Public opinion would build pressure on Republican members toward an impeachment vote that had even stronger bipartisan credibility.

That did not come even close to happening. To begin with, not only was the vote to begin proceedings not bipartisan, there was bipartisan opposition to it. Polling initially looked promising for impeachment, with media outlets attempting to claim significant bipartisan support for inquiry and removal, but then the polling moved in the wrong direction for Democrats.
It was completely unclear what crime, much less what high crime, Trump was accused of committing.
The hearings were boring and complicated.
Adam Schiff lacks credibility.
Democrats’ witnesses kept making Trump’s case for him.
GOP members stayed on message about the unfairness of the proceedings.
The media generally overpromised and underachieved.
The general wackiness of the Resistance.
Impeachment will occur, but on the weakest possible grounds.

Impeachment has been all but a foregone conclusion since the moment Trump shocked the ruling classes with his 2016 victory
.​

• Optimistic
Reactions: Go Braves

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

With the likely conclusion of Rep. Adam Schiff’s impeachment proceedings, it’s worth taking a step back and looking at how things went for the majority Democrats and minority Republicans on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Democrats ideally would have started their inquiry with credible bipartisan support and run things in such a way that public opinion developed in their favor. Public opinion would build pressure on Republican members toward an impeachment vote that had even stronger bipartisan credibility.

That did not come even close to happening. To begin with, not only was the vote to begin proceedings not bipartisan, there was bipartisan opposition to it. Polling initially looked promising for impeachment, with media outlets attempting to claim significant bipartisan support for inquiry and removal, but then the polling moved in the wrong direction for Democrats.
It was completely unclear what crime, much less what high crime, Trump was accused of committing.
The hearings were boring and complicated.
Adam Schiff lacks credibility.
Democrats’ witnesses kept making Trump’s case for him.
GOP members stayed on message about the unfairness of the proceedings.
The media generally overpromised and underachieved.
The general wackiness of the Resistance.
Impeachment will occur, but on the weakest possible grounds.

Impeachment has been all but a foregone conclusion since the moment Trump shocked the ruling classes with his 2016 victory
.​
While I seriously doubt that the Senate with a Republican majority will vote to impeach you have apparently been watching a different House investigation than I have. If this investigation resulted in an actual trial rather than a political event I believe that there would be a good possibility that President Trump would lose.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If ever there was a perfect sentence to summarize the depths to which the Republican Party has fallen it would be this from your op:

The hearings were boring and complicated.”

Fun fact, exactly the same things were said during the early Watergate hearings.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If ever there was a perfect sentence to summarize the depths to which the Republican Party has fallen it would be this from your op:

Fun fact, exactly the same things were said during the early Watergate hearings.
Yeah, sorry these hearings didn't have the level of sophistication of a WWE cage match that we've come to expect from all things Trump.

I don't get what was so complicated though.

Trump asked for a personal favor from another president and used Congressionally approved military aid as a bargaining chip to weight his hand. Now he's trying to cover up the crime by forcing his associates to ignore Congressional subpoenas to testify.

Seems pretty easy to follow if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I will say I've been surprised at what I would call "impeachment atheists" on the board, loving the democrats spin including with ambassador Sondland, which was touted as a quid pro quo victory for the dems etc.

I guess what struck me was the compare and contrast between skeptics on topics like "was Jesus or Moses an actual person?" etc. and the facts for this case, (since I was involved in one of those kind of discussions a few days back). In the Sandland testimony when pinned down by his questioning on the "quid pro quo" he specifically stated that "he presumed it", and earlier mentioned Trump specifically told him to "do the right thing", and there would be no quid pro quo, and Ukraine got the aid anyway etc.

Needless to say this is not the kind of epistemology I expect from Evidentialists...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Norbert L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

And the O.J. trial. Paraphrasing Mark Twain, "It's a horrible death, being bored to death".

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trump was caught in a criminal attempt unconstitutionally to get a QPQ from a foreign head of state.

That is a loss for Trump et al.

The Dems rely on the seriousness of the charge in order to prevail. Sadly for them (happily for us) the evidence isn't there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We all know how it turned out.

who called in the fire.jpg

Upvote 0