How Pope Paul VI's most controversial work led me from atheism to the Catholic Church

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Blessed Paul VI was truly a prophet when he wrote Humanae Vitae. Contraception has truly had a devastating effect on society. Not only has it caused men to use women as objects for sexual pleasure but it has also resulted in the contraceptive mentality where an unplanned pregnancy is looked at as a bad thing rather than as a gift from God.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Great article. I'm not Catholic, but I'm wondering where this leaves my wife and me. As many of you know, we are 24, married, been together 8.5 years, and have 3 children. We don't use contraception EVER, but I do pull out every time. Is spilling seed a no-no?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always have difficulty understanding how anyone can look at an era of cataclysmic change and look at one small aspect--contraception--as the sole cause of society's ills.

It's sort of like those who look at Vatican II as the source of all the Church's problems without paying a bit of attention to all the societal changes that would have occurred with or without Vatican II ever having been convened.

Contraception didn't occur in a vacuum, and I think it would be impossible to weigh its effects apart from all the other changes that occurred simultaneously.

On the other hand, if one's vision is 'sexual sin-centric,' one might always look at sexual sin as the causative factor in every situation.

Certainly contraception has had an effect on society--along with numerous other equally strong factors that occurred concurrently.

And while I am delighted that Ms. Fulwiller was brought back to God by Pope Paul VI's encyclical, there were many, many, many others who decided that Catholicism was irrelevant for the very same reason.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s an exciting time to be a Catholic. Yesterday’s beatification of Pope Paul VI is yet another indication of this time. We now have three popes that served nearly one after the other in the 20th century as saints of the Catholic Church. Although Paul VI has not been officially canonized, we know that he is there in Heaven with his predecessor, Pope St.
10 quotes from Blessed Pope Paul VI on the Blessed Virgin Mary...

Upvote 0