How OPEN-MINDED Are CF Posters?

How Strong Are You In Your Current Convictions of Religion/Morality?

• My mind is COMPLETELY made up. I am not open-minded to any changes. I am here is to persuade others.

• My mind is MOSTLY made up but I’ve modified my beliefs 1 or 2 times due to interaction on the foru

• My mind is semi-open to change. I have a few beliefs I won’t budge on, but I’m open to learn.

• My mind is very open, I am here to learn what I can.

Results are only viewable after voting.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suppose it can happen. However, generally, it usually has the opposite effect to what posters intend. It was partially due to my interactions on a Christian forum that had me questioning my faith and outright leaving Christianity for a few years. I had decided that if the faith certain posters was presenting was all that there was of Christianity (which they want you to believe), then I wanted nothing to do with it. (I still feel this way about a lot of things I see here at CF. However, I now believe that such beliefs are a perversion of the truth rather than representative of it.) I've always been prone to being a critical reader and employing logic, so instead of accepting what others present, I tend to be more skeptical.

However, am I close-minded? I don't think so. Yet, I'm not open to changing my beliefs either. I'm convinced my faith is correct and when I came to this conclusion it wasn't my reasoning that brought me there- oddly enough.

While certain topics interest me, I have no interest in actually changing my beliefs and I've yet to see any argument made on any message board that has ever convinced me of anything.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2013
✟15,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This poll is to see what percentage of people actually change their minds on their religious/moral beliefs, because of interaction on Christian Forum.

Hello Tammy,

From my time as a born again believer in Jesus Christ, Im molding my beliefs and 'lifestyle' around the words and teachings of the KJV Bible. I have had inner feelings of pleasure and peace from reaping the rewards from the fruits of the spirit.

When we use words as being 'open minded' we have to be cautious as Christians that this does not mean 'worldly compromise'. Worldly compromise degenerates into apostasy and perversion of Gods word.

I have often needed to rethink my position when confronted with scripture. We should never place mans personal opinions above the word of God. Sadly this is a common occurrence in this Leodician age we are living in.

I give all praise to God for His Holy Spirit in me leading me to all truth which is in Christ Jesus.

God Bless

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm close to the top answer, but I'm not here to convince anyone. I believe what I believe and I depend on the Bible, Catholic teachings and my priest for advice and direction. I would never have my mind changed by anyone on a message board.

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let's face it, the majority of the people who come to internet forums like this are not looking for different answers than what they already believe.

Very few people are going to be convinced by a stranger on the internet. There might be some minor issues that bring to mind different ideas or ways of thinking about things but for the vast majority of beliefs people will stay the same unless the Holy Spirit is speaking to them.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AS one has stated, it depends on what is meant by "open-minded". I think I am open to hear what one shares, but when they speak contrary to God's Word, then I often try to show them what I have found about that. If one persists in an unscriptural path, I am not open to arguing or debating or further proving what the Bible clearly states.

When one is sincere, they can read their Bible, seek counsel from real Bible teachers, and pray earnestly for God's teaching. Look up always!

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would've picked the second option (my mind is mostly made up), but it stipulates that I've changed my beliefs due to interactions here on CF, and I can't say that. So... my mind is mostly made up, but I am always open to God teaching me, whether it's through CF or another medium :)

Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for taking the poll....I hope a lot more people will participate....I'm glad that the majority of people coming here are not "set in stone" on everything...I think there are some things we should be set in stone on, but we need to follow the example of the Bereans and keep studying....because God isn't thru with us yet! He has lots more to teach us!

Thanks again for participating! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I vote for 2? ^_^

I vote for the first one and the last one. My mind is completely made up. I have a sure foundation. But I am also here to learn from others. (This is because part of what my mind is completely made up about is the importance of listening to others in love. ;))

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This poll is to see what percentage of people actually change their minds on their religious/moral beliefs, because of interaction on Christian Forum.

I think I'm pretty willing to listen to other people but after being a Christian for going on thirty years, I've pretty much established what I believe.

But that having been said, I've learned a lot and grown a lot from interacting with some folks on line.

For example, here on ChristianForums, I've really enjoyed my conversations with AV1611 and never fail to learn something from him.

I really enjoy positive interactions, as opposed to back and forth sniping where everybody just chooses sides and tries to prove the other side wrong, where I have to go and look things up and study them further to better explain my position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I vote for 2? ^_^

I vote for the first one and the last one. My mind is completely made up. I have a sure foundation. But I am also here to learn from others. (This is because part of what my mind is completely made up about is the importance of listening to others in love. ;))

That was a good post, Seeingeyes! :clap:

Upvote 0

thatforumguy77

Random Person
Nov 5, 2013
✟8,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nice, seeingeyes. I believe in two of the options as well. First, we must not allow our faith to be blown about as waves and as the wind blows. We must be stalwart and strong in our belief, rooted an unmoving. But at the same time, we must have the humility to accept rebuke and correction if we receive such. To change thus is not wrong, for it is not of doubt as per the scripture I liberally quoted above (Ephesians 4), but an attempt to come closer to the truth as written in the Word. It is learning, growing. But always, our final arbiter must neither be the poster or the post, but the Bible and the Word and the Holy Spirit's leading, to see if what someone says is Biblical or self-centered or simply doctrinal or one that can be considered foundational truth.

I use this rule: if the Bible speaks specifically towards a topic, then that word is final. My interpretation or anyone else's interpretation is not open to consideration. If the Bible remains silent on a topic however, individual interpretations are given consideration, but not as truth, only as interpretations that can hold partial truths that need to be studied more. To do otherwise is human pride.

In my experience, I think I've only changed my views once throughout my stay here. But never will I change without first consulting the Bible, then God in prayer and silent time. Change must never happen apart from the vine where wisdom springs.

Upvote 0
B

boogalaboogala

in my experience they are not very.. it seems that if you keep your answers biblically based you end up getting nasty letters from the mods.. for example.. i mentioned that catholism and christianity are two different thing.. i received a rebuking for it from the site mods.. i was merely telling the truth
another time a year ago i was on here under another name.. i was booted off because i quoted scripture that said homosexuality is an abomination to God.. its in leviticus.. so i was booted off..
so i ask myself. these people really arent interested in the truth.. what they are really looking for is my endorsement of their rebellion against God.. well, they wont get it.. i guess they think my answers are hurtful.. but, i truly believe that when it comes to something as serious as our eternal placement, a lie is mmore hurtful.. even though it seems easier to swallow.. blessings..

Reactions: Tammy
Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
my mind is made up but with that said... we are all learning and I understand that. I'm not out to judge or attack people who disagree with me but instead, patiently and rationally state my case until I get sick of it (which happens A LOT):kiss: love, mandy

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I didn't vote because I consider the benefits of a forum to be about growth and insight, not changing each others' beliefs.

We provide each other reminders, conviction, comparisons, new ideas... but why would it be important to change someone's theology? I am not out to recruit and pull members from one team to another.

This particular Advice section is often used for bringing understanding to a situation. Getting input on how people perceive situations, and then finding ways to solve predicaments. True, there are people who are stubborn and might be heading into extreme beliefs... with no intent on changing. But change for the sake of change or open-mindedness... that seems impractical and just as manipulative as stubborn viewpoints.

I suspect there are certain issues you are referring to, that seem to continually hit brick walls. Remember that the people who post are often posting because a reaction stirred within them. Five or ten respondents do not represent the whole of Christianity, or of members here -- it is the people who see a challenge they want to address.

Posting is often about taking on a challenge (like it or not). If there is no controversy at all, the post will be too boring or obvious to respond to. Imagine a post that says, "Jesus is Lord." People shrug and move on. "Jesus is Lord of all," a few people would bring up whether He is ruler over people who don't believe in Him. Narrow down to "Jesus is Lord of Las Vegas," and you have a deluge of rigid input, defending all sides.

Is that a bad thing, to voice an opinion firmly? Those firm opinions are the same things that bring variety to a forum. If everyone were too open-minded, there would be nothing to discuss, nothing to learn from. We need a little rigidity, to get a good discussion going. Iron sharpening iron.

Last edited:
Upvote 0