Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was wondering how often your church does the Lord's supper. I support doing it every Sunday. My Dad's a pastor and he prefers to do it that way and it makes sense. Why wouldn't you have it every Sunday? Some people say it becomes less special then. But like my professor Dr. Rod Rosenbladt says, that would be like tell your wife you love her once and not again because it wouldn't be as special.

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My husband serves a dual parish. Each one celebrates the Lord's Supper once a month. Sometimes you will find me attending both. Every time I have the chance to received Christ's body and blood I will receive it. I don't think you can receive it too often.

I have seen those who won't go to the table if it is offered more than once a week. I personally don't get it. We sin daily, we should want to receive as often as we can.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our Late Service on Sunday has Holy Communion every Sunday. The Early Service on Sunday and the Saturday evening service alternate between Holy Communion and Matins/Vespers. So if Saturday has Holy Communion the early service will have Matins that week.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It seems to be normal around here to have communion every other Sunday. I think a lot of pastors would like to go to every Sunday, but surprisingly to me there is a lot of resistance in the congregations. I don't understand it either.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We have it every Sunday. It used to be twice a month until about a year and a half ago. Our Confessions teach that we are to celebrate the Lord's Supper on every Lord's day and other feast days so that those who desire it can partake. No one is required to receive it every week, but it's not right to deny it to those who desire it weekly.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would like to hear people's reasons why they don't think it should be done every Sunday. After all Jesus said, "Do this as often as you drink it."

The only reason I have really heard is what you posted in your OP.

I would prefer it every week also. Other than that, I don't really know why more don't do it every Sunday.

Upvote 0

neen1

Mar 9, 2011
✟15,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My church alternates between the service that has the Lord's Supper. The first and third Sunday it's at the early service and the second and fourth Sunday it's at the late service. If there is a fifth Sunday, they have have it at either service. I think they have it once a month at the Saturday service. They also have it during the school year at the chapel once a month.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One time I heard the explanation that that particular congregation didn't have communion every Sunday so that there would be Sundays when they could invite friends and newbies without them having to experience the practice of closed communion during their first visit.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ours is weekly. Last week's was real interesting. The service ended with me having partaken of only half the sacrament (the pastor accidentally skipped me with the chalice...I think he thought I had a cup in my hand). I had to wait until the service was over to receive the rest.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One time I heard the explanation that that particular congregation didn't have communion every Sunday so that there would be Sundays when they could invite friends and newbies without them having to experience the practice of closed communion during their first visit.
Orthopraxy is not seeker-sensitive.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ours is weekly. Last week's was real interesting. The service ended with me having partaken of only half the sacrament (the pastor accidentally skipped me with the chalice...I think he thought I had a cup in my hand). I had to wait until the service was over to receive the rest.

Ours is weekly too and we have a common cup and the little cups. This has happened to me before as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I was wondering how often your church does the Lord's supper. I support doing it every Sunday. My Dad's a pastor and he prefers to do it that way and it makes sense. Why wouldn't you have it every Sunday? Some people say it becomes less special then. But like my professor Dr. Rod Rosenbladt says, that would be like tell your wife you love her once and not again because it wouldn't be as special.

It's called adiaphora which is why churches do what they do
No offense to Dr. Rod Rosenbladt, that's streching it to make a point.

Using that mentality, then is communion only meant for the married but not for the single person?

We have it every Sunday. It used to be twice a month until about a year and a half ago. Our Confessions teach that we are to celebrate the Lord's Supper on every Lord's day and other feast days so that those who desire it can partake. No one is required to receive it every week, but it's not right to deny it to those who desire it weekly.

So when it was every other week ... were there people denying you from doing private distributions ... as inconvenient it may have been?

Upvote 0

HermanNeutics13

May 8, 2013
✟32,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That sort of makes sense but it also sort of seems like a cowards way out. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to explain to the guest why we don't practice open communion? Yes some will find it offensive but it has to do with honesty.

It's called adiaphora which is why churches do what they do
No offense to Dr. Rod Rosenbladt, that's streching it to make a point.

Using that mentality, then is communion only meant for the married but not for the single person?
Communion itself isn't adiaphora which is why we don't practice open communion. If you just mean how often, technically I do believe the LCMS's official position is to have it every week just many churches don't adhere to it. The marriage thing was just an analogy I wasn't saying only married people can have it.

Upvote 0

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So when it was every other week ... were there people denying you from doing private distributions ... as inconvenient it may have been?

no, and if anybody had asked for private distribution he would have done it gladly. exactly what is your point in asking this?

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

The Lord's Supper is administered as part of the Divine Service as the Confessions teach. Why have private administrations when it can be done during the Divine Service?

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
no, and if anybody had asked for private distribution he would have done it gladly. exactly what is your point in asking this?

This is the point, the presumption that by doing it bi-weekly was .... "but it's not right to deny it to those who desire it weekly."

I have done many of word searches and I've yet to read any such thing from the Bible where it specifically says that bi-weekly was the act of denying someone else and thus it wasn't right.

Upvote 0