Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read that most people think about death often. I think as we grow older we do think about what our family would be like if we passed on. But just how often do you really think about your death? What do you think dying really feels like besides the pain we might endure?

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Maybe once a week or less, most of the time. It's come up several times, today, though. Part of it is that coworkers bring up the subject rather frequently. Part of it is that I have a morbid sense of humor. There's something about the process of death and decay that makes a mockery of the pride of mankind. There's something about human mortality that thumbs its nose at all wealth, being an unsolvable problem to absolutely everyone. All striving and all accomplishments are so futile for a fallen world that has no hope of salvation. They spend all day doing nothing for no one for no reason, and then they die and are forgotten. If it weren't so pathetic it would be hilarious.

As for the experience of death, I don't know. Hypoxia is not something I'm looking forward to. I've been at the death bed of a Christian, who cried in terror at the prospect of death, which came only hours later. Regardless of the unknowable that comes one second after death, I have to say that those seconds just before death leave me shaken. Whatever we can say about God's guidance and protection, he leads everyone to utter physical ruin, eventually. All we have to cling to is a trust in what lies just beyond death, in a state that can best be described as a wild guess. We trust in God that it will be something positive. We don't really know what it is; we only know that God said that it's quite nice.

Upvote 0

MechPebbles

Oct 24, 2007
✟15,712.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe once a week or less, most of the time. It's come up several times, today, though. Part of it is that coworkers bring up the subject rather frequently. Part of it is that I have a morbid sense of humor. There's something about the process of death and decay that makes a mockery of the pride of mankind. There's something about human mortality that thumbs its nose at all wealth, being an unsolvable problem to absolutely everyone. All striving and all accomplishments are so futile for a fallen world that has no hope of salvation. They spend all day doing nothing for no one for no reason, and then they die and are forgotten. If it weren't so pathetic it would be hilarious.

As for the experience of death, I don't know. Hypoxia is not something I'm looking forward to. I've been at the death bed of a Christian, who cried in terror at the prospect of death, which came only hours later. Regardless of the unknowable that comes one second after death, I have to say that those seconds just before death leave me shaken. Whatever we can say about God's guidance and protection, he leads everyone to utter physical ruin, eventually. All we have to cling to is a trust in what lies just beyond death, in a state that can best be described as a wild guess. We trust in God that it will be something positive. We don't really know what it is; we only know that God said that it's quite nice.
Thank you. You're very honest. Most believers don't like to admit that they are afraid of death. I have wondered for years how atheists can take it. If believers, who are certain of eternal life, can be terrified of death then how can those who have no hope accept the certainty of death? I once asked an atheist friend this but he just dismissed it, saying that what life he had was beautiful and worth living. Of course, he was just in his twenties then and young people see death as irrelevant to them.

Upvote 0

feliciaNC

Jan 28, 2016
california
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read that most people think about death often. I think as we grow older we do think about what our family would be like if we passed on. But just how often do you really think about your death? What do you think dying really feels like besides the pain we might endure?
I am so so glad you brought this up. I have it very bad, as far as thinking about death, I especially think about my son, my husband,and pretty much all family friends. I get anxiety really bad over it. I think it is psychological, or maybe, well I don't know. I am getting a little better ( I think ). I found it helps if I talk about it openly to people instead of keeping it inside. THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS UP

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
I think about it all the time - every day probably. It's the last enemy (1 Cor. 15:26), it's imminent, it's bigger than me and it's going to get me; so I'm scared of it. But I'm sure looking forward to what's on the other side of it - thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am so so glad you brought this up. I have it very bad, as far as thinking about death, I especially think about my son, my husband,and pretty much all family friends. I get anxiety really bad over it. I think it is psychological, or maybe, well I don't know. I am getting a little better ( I think ). I found it helps if I talk about it openly to people instead of keeping it inside. THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS UP

Welcome to the CF. I believe most people think about this a lot too

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,855.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Meditating on passages of scripture that deal with heaven, hell, sin, punishment, eventually lead all serious believers to consider death. It is an important part of the Christian life, to contemplate heavenly worship, a united church, and the presence of the Triune God.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Meditating on passages of scripture that deal with heaven, hell, sin, punishment, eventually lead all serious believers to consider death. It is an important part of the Christian life, to contemplate heavenly worship, a united church, and the presence of the Triune God.

I often refer to Psalm 139 and Hebrews 2 and others places that give me peace. My health is poor, and it seems good news seldom comes in doctor visits, so Scripture changes my emotional struggle to a more peaceful contentment outlook here. I try to give my wife more help and things that keep us close. This last week my hematologist said cancer celle were in my bones even if they can't be seen in a bone scan yet. That has been a hit right between my eyes.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I often refer to Psalm 139 and Hebrews 2 and others places that give me peace. My health is poor, and it seems good news seldom comes in doctor visits, so Scripture changes my emotional struggle to a more peaceful contentment outlook here. I try to give my wife more help and things that keep us close. This last week my hematologist said cancer celle were in my bones even if they can't be seen in a bone scan yet. That has been a hit right between my eyes.
Daily prayer and the Scriptures, when they become ingrained in the healthy years, will continue to give strength and peace when the less healthy years come along. (I know by experience.)
Sorry about your bad health.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JerushaC

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
✟9,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Death is something I used to think about a lot, now I think of it maybe once every few days. The picture of death that frequently enters my head is a picture of my spirit leaving my body. Like a caged, bird it flies.. leaving our cursed, decayed earthly dwelling place.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Death is something I used to think about a lot, now I think of it maybe once every few days. The picture of death that frequently enters my head is a picture of my spirit leaving my body. Like a caged, bird it flies.. leaving our cursed, decayed earthly dwelling place.
It's good to be able to face the subject with the peace of Christ in the heart.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dying to self, yes..Jesus death, yes...
But then I think about being raised to life again in the resurrection. So its not being morbid for a christian to think about death.

If a grain of wheat falls to the ground, it must die so that it can grow again.

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rarely, but I have to jump from an aircraft no less than 4 times a year for work, and I always think about it before I jump. When I've gone in harms' way, I've thought about it.

I've made peace the with fact that I won't live forever, but that I am redeemed and secure in the hands of Jesus.

So whenever I'm about to go do something that might, under other circumstances and in other professions seem foolish, I thank Him for my Salvation, ask for the ability to do my job perfectly, but if it's my time to go home, I ask that God takes care of my wife and kids (grandkids now!) I'm leaving behind. Amen.

And then I go do my job with a peace of mind no atheist could ever have.

Upvote 0