How Often and When Do You Read Scripture?

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm wondering what time of day you read your Bible? How often do you read it? Also, do you have an agreement with God that you will read it then, or just an agreement with yourself?

Personally, ever since I have developed some health problems and also since I got a job, I have been finding it difficult to find time to read Scripture like I used to. I have read the Bible many times through. I have done a lot of Bible studies. However, lately, it just does not seem as important to me or as interesting as it used to.

What do you do when these kinds of things or other things get in the way of your time with God?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read some Scripture each morning with my morning prayers. I do these first thing each morning so that other things don’t get in my way and interfere with my time with the Lord. If I wait until later, I get distracted.

I try to, on a less regular basis, do a more detailed reading and study, but that is less structured than my daily reading.

Upvote 0

SouthernBlessedOne

JustBoundless.com
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I listen to preaching podcasts every morning as I drive to work. Then another podcast at lunch. Then another on the drive home. Then before I go to sleep I open the Word and read atleast a few verses. I know how it feels to neglect the scripture for a day, then a week, then longer. As I've grown in the spirit, I can feel when I am neglecting His words and I begin to drift from it and drift more towards worldly things. You need to recharge and stay in the Word. God Bless and may He renew your hunger for the Word.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering what time of day you read your Bible? How often do you read it? Also, do you have an agreement with God that you will read it then, or just an agreement with yourself?

Personally, ever since I have developed some health problems and also since I got a job, I have been finding it difficult to find time to read Scripture like I used to. I have read the Bible many times through. I have done a lot of Bible studies. However, lately, it just does not seem as important to me or as interesting as it used to.

What do you do when these kinds of things or other things get in the way of your time with God?

Romans 10:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I actually am a big fan of using the audio function of Bible Gateway and listening to the scripture throughout the day. There are many times when you are scrolling through the internet, doing house cleaning, playing computer games, or driving your car where you can also get in some Bible too.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.: Audio

1) If you do this and commit to it, you can easily go through the Bible multiple times in a year. I can actually go through the entire NIV Bible, every 6 weeks when I really apply myself!

2) One big benefit of doing this approach to the Bible, it often lets you notice things in the Bible that you never noticed before! I've sometimes have noticed passages that contradict many popular teachings, I've heard over the years etc. Unfortunately, we often miss the context of scripture when we just try to read specific sections of passages etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While a bible study can be good, it can be so-so sometimes.

But so vastly better is to really hear deeply in your heart the Words. That is so overwhelmingly good that nothing compares on Earth I've found. Not one thing (and I've tried a lot of things, many quite good...).

So the best of all is....instead of analyzing, reading a study guide, etc. -- what I aim for when I read alone is very different.

What I want is for the Word to happen to me.

I'm not trying to dissect or analyze it. Not looking for an explanation (as one might in a Bible study group). Instead I want to be entirely the student, and the word the Teacher, and so that the Word does all the talking, instead of me or anyone else doing the talking.

And if I fall silent and listen, then the scripture comes alive and happens to me.

So, the best thing is just to read without a goal, such as in a Gospel, until you feel you have something to dwell on, because what the words, alive, are saying, is so powerful or deep that you are entirely full, and need to stop and just dwell with that.

And in the gospels, that can sometimes happen in just a few verses.

So, I like to read late in the evening, before sleep, such as in bed, perhaps with a tablet, and have the words happen to me, and then stop, overwhelmed, and go to sleep that way.

That can take only a few minutes often.

John 10:27 My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SpiritSong
Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 10:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I actually am a big fan of using the audio function of Bible Gateway and listening to the scripture throughout the day. There are many times when you are scrolling through the internet, doing house cleaning, playing computer games, or driving your car where you can also get in some Bible too.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.: Audio

1) If you do this and commit to it, you can easily go through the Bible multiple times in a year. I can actually go through the entire NIV Bible, every 6 weeks when I really apply myself!

2) One big benefit of doing this approach to the Bible, it often lets you notice things in the Bible that you never noticed before! I've sometimes have noticed passages that contradict many popular teachings, I've heard over the years etc. Unfortunately, we often miss the context of scripture when we just try to read specific sections of passages etc.

Thanks SO MUCH for the link, I had no idea there was an audio of the NIV, one of my fav versions of the Word.

I started with Genesis and have heard now up to Chapter 13. Tomorrow I will start with 14. I like how this man read it and it is interesting to hear how the names and words are pronounced. (I have pronounced almost all of them incorrectly in the past while reading!) I love the stories in the Old Testament and am enjoying this a lot.

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am now up to Chapter 32 of Genesis in the NIV audio version. I am really enjoying this! It is so much easier than reading Scripture. Even though I am sick right now, with a sinus infection, I can still listen. Reading is hard though. I can read a bit, but then I get tired. Not so with listening!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums