✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here are my suggested answers as requested by my Aussie cobber:

The general crowds, including His disciples, common people, and religious leaders.

To show them God's standards for holy living.

They would understand that following just the external rules of the Law, but the obedience needs to go deeper, into their hearts.

Personal judgments of people. This doesn't include appropriate judgment of doctrines, Bible teachings, church practices, claims of signs, wonders, and healing. For example, the golden shower in a Bethel church. Two women members confessed that their job was to put ground up glitter into the ventilation system to make it appear that God was scattering gold dust from heaven on to the congregation. I can judge that act as deliberate deception of unwary people and it would make me doubt the showering of feathers as well. Therefore I can further judge that the leaders who set that up are wolves and false teachers and deceivers. But I can't judge the personal life of any of those people or leaders, because we are all just poor sinners and nothing at all. But when it comes to discerning falsehood in teaching and claims, then we should make judgments based on God's Word. (whoops! I was using hermeneutics here!)

The person who tries to take a speck out of his brother's eye when he has a great log in his own. It is like two filthy, lice infested beggars sitting in a ditch and one saying to another, "You stink!"

The dogs in the First Century were not the lovable pets we have today. These were wild dogs who would bit the hand of anyone who tried to feed them. If they were fed, they would just wolf it all down and bite you anyway. They are the same as the swine which would trample down any pearls you would give them. So those things that are sacred and holy to them should not be given to those who would not appreciate them but would just throw them back into their faces.

Because that is how to get God's door opened to them to receive the promises.

Because if evil and godless people know how to give good gifts to their children and God is so much better than that.

Do to others as you would have them do unto you.

To destruction - in other words, an eternity in hell.

Eternal life in Christ.

He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone who appears to be good and holy, but has evil intentions.

By their fruits - the outcomes in the lives of those who follow their prophecies.

Because they did not do what He told them to do. they may have done some wonderful and great things, but Jesus did not tell them to do them.

Those who fail to do the will of God.

Because he heard the words of Jesus and did them.

So this is my fairly simple exegesis of the passage in its original context. I have tried to resist the temptation to do hermeneutics and comment on how we should apply them today (although I did fail a couple of times. Couldn't help it!)

Now, my good brother from across the ditch, what are your comments?

Definitely not common sense this interpretation. Not everyone can interpret. Some are teachers, some are the interpreters, I'm the encouraging one.. etc.

Thanks so much for the insight. You could write bible study ebook guides for people to help their understanding.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
sometimes it makes me anxious when thinking about it...
How narrow is the narrow gate?
If going on percentages, Christians make up only 33% of the world, so that’s pretty narrow.
Or is it even more narrow?

i sometimes worry about that myself! I think the gate is narrow not just because Jesus is the only way to salvation etc. as some have suggested. And I think it is more than just the usual Evangelical Faith vs. Works trope.

I think the gate is also narrow because psychologically and spiritually speaking it's very easy to be the opposite of the earning your salvation, and the opposite of that is "the I never knew you" passage. I really think lots of people will think they are best buds with Jesus only to find out that their fire insurance doesn't work. That they really had themselves as their god etc. I think that sort of things is very easy Existentially speaking, because being a Christian involves learning to die to your own desires and embracing that sort of pain is something that humans typically don't want to do, at least if they think they can avoid it etc.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Here is my hermeneutical application of the passage, based on the exegetical questions:
Who is Jesus talking to?
What is His intention for saying these things?
How would His First Century Jewish listeners understand what He is teaching them?
Because Jesus is talking to the general crowd of people, what He is saying applies to us as much as it did to them. But we must understand that He was talking to people who were still unconverted and did not have the Holy Spirit for them to be able to come up to the standard which is required. Jesus show them, and us, that our righteousness has to exceed that of the Pharisees, who were absolutely perfect in their obedience to the Law, but that was outward. Jesus pointed out that it had to be obedience from the heart, and that could only happen when the Holy Spirit came. The crowd had Jesus with them, but after the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit is in us, and we have a new heart and spirit to walk in the Spirit. Because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, our righteousness does exceed that of the Pharisees, because God's Law is written on our hearts. So for us, we need to tell unconverted people that being religious and doing good works outwardly is not good enough. They need to believe the gospel, accept Christ, repent of their sins, and the Holy Spirit will lead them on the way to sanctification.
What kind of judgments is Jesus saying they should not make?
I dealt with this in my exegesis when I went over to hermeneutics!
What is His definition of a hypocrite in our context>
A hypocrite is a person who makes requirements of us that he or she does not follow him or herself. To give a crass example: A guy telling us that it is a sin to touch, when 99% of men do it, and the other 5% are liars, is a hypocrite. It is a person who pushes his version of holiness down our throats when there are many unholy areas about himself that he doesn't disclose. Jesus gave the parable about the servant who was forgiven of a million dollars, but threw a fellow servant in jail for not being able to repay $20! It is a preacher who preaches that healing is guaranteed and that people are not healed because they haven't got enough faith, but upon examination, there is not one healing that has resulted from his ministry and his mega-meetings.
What are the dogs, and why would they not encouraged to give them that which is holy?
There are things that we have in our worship and service to the Lord that are holy and sacred to us. We don't share the good things of God to those who just throw them down and trample them underfoot. This is where we need discernment about who we share the gospel with. If we start sharing the gospel and we see that the person just wants to be contentious about it, then we should back off and not push the issue. It is the same with contentious folk on the forum who, when we share the blessings that God has given us insight of, they flame us and just use what we have shared to just have a contentious argument about them. I see this in healing and tongues threads. Tongues, to me is a very personal and sacred form of prayer that I share with God, and I always welcome honest questions and reasonable debate about it, but I consider those who turn the thread into an acrimonious "two-horse" flaming debate, as the dogs whom Jesus is talking about. This is not to say, just in case anyone gets their nose out of joint, that those who have questions and difficulties about tongues are dogs. I fully understand that many see some of the spirit of stupid in the way many Charismatic practice it, and are put off. I try to help but am not always successful at the end of a respectful discussion.
Why did Jesus tell people to ask, seek and knock?
Because this is the way God gives us the blessings He wants us to have. This is in accordance to the Scripture: "Be anxious for nothing, but by prayer and supplication make your request known to God, and the peace of God that passes all understanding will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Providing everything we ask for is not guaranteed. We are promised that God will hear our prayer, and will give us peace about it. But also, Jesus gave a couple of parables showing that we need to be persistent when we know that what we are asking for is the will of God for us. For example: the salvation of a loved one, or healing for someone. We don't just ask once and then give up, but we keep on asking until the Holy Spirit tells us to stop, or the request is granted. But we don't confess that it is done until it happens. That kind of positive confession is just mind-control and is more consistent with Christian Science.
How can His listeners be assured that God would give them good gifts?
Because God is a good Father, and is a greater, more kind Father than any earthly father who gives good gifts to his children. So, for instance, we ask for the gift of prophecy, He will give us what we ask for, and nothing else. The devil might try to give a counterfeit instead, but the Holy Spirit will block him, because of that promise, and the devil has to give way. A false gift will come when the person tries to enter into it without taking the proper steps of faith with Christ, to ask of God and then follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and to have the knowledge and experience to monitor what he is prophesying with God's written Word and what New Testament prophecy is for. Prophesy is just one example of this. God may not supply all our wants, unless He does it out of His grace, but He will always supply our needs, because that is His promise to us.
What is the Law and the Prophets in this context?
Jesus was quite clear in that we are to love God with all our hearts, minds, and strength and love all others as we would love ourselves. This is doing to others as we would have them do to us. We should love God as He loved us and gave us His only Son to die for us on the cross. Therefore we judge our conduct on those principles.
Where does the wide gate lead to?
Where does the narrow gate lead to?
The narrow gate is faith in Christ alone for salvation. That is why it is so narrow, because relatively few are prepared to hold to Christ and accept salvation as a free gift, instead of trying to earn their way to heaven by good works. The wide gate is for unconverted sinners, and those who subscribe to popular and liberal versions of Christianity that don't involve the cross of Christ with the recognition that we are just poor sinners and nothing at all, but Jesus is our all in all. We see many instances of that popular Christian-like religion on Youtube showing mega-conferences, and mega-church services that preach positive thinking and confession, and faith in faith, guaranteed healing for all, out of control behaviour, etc.
What is a false prophet?
How would His listeners recognise them?
These are the ones who dream stuff out of their own heads and peddle them as the Word of God. The canon of Scripture was closed. No one can add to the canon of Scripture. These "prophets" with new "revelations" that are extra-Biblical are saying that God is speaking to them. But when God speaks with new revelation, that is actually Scripture, but it can't be because the written Scripture is God's complete revelation and cannot be added to. So these "prophets" saying that God has given them a new revelation that is not previous inspired in Scripture, are totally false, because they are equating what they are saying with Scripture, but they are adding their own dreams and thoughts to Scripture, and that according to Ezekiel, they are peddling divination, and that God is against them. Proverbs 30 says that if someone adds to Scripture, God will come and rebuke them and expose them as liars. We are allowed to name these false prophets, and I say that Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Robert Schuller, and Bill Johnson are false prophets who are dreaming up new "revelations" that are additions to the written Scriptures and therefore God identifies their prophecies and teaching as divination and He is against them, and will, in His time will expose them as liars. I have already said about the two women in Bill Johnson's church whose job it was to put ground up glitter into the church's ventilation system to make it appear that God was showing the people with gold dust. That is deliberate deception and has been exposed for the deliberate lie that it is.
Why did Jesus say that not everyone who said Lord, Lord, will be rejected?
How would Jesus recognise workers of lawlessness
If people are trusting in their own good works to be accepted of God instead of trusting in His promises and Christ alone, then Jesus will reject them, because they are not doing the will of God, in that the Scripture says that this is the will of God that we should believe on Him (Christ) whom He has sent. Prophesying, casting out demons, and doing great works are right and Scriptural only if the Holy Spirit is doing it through the believer. But these are merely saying that they have done these things, but there is no indication that they actually did them in the way that God would accept as part of His will.
Why would the man who built his house upon the rock be wise?
Jesus Christ is the Rock, and when we build our lives upon Him, being saved through faith in His Name and promises, and allowing the Holy Spirit to lead us on the path of sanctification so that we are always walking in His light and in the Spirit, then our life will remain strong, effective, and productive for the Lord. We will not fall, because none shall pluck them out of Christ's hands if we continue in the faith day by day and not let the grace of God decline through neglect.

That is my hermeneutical interpretation of the passage. Before I get all sorts of debating posts, let me remind you that it is my interpretation, and therefore subjective not objective. I don't give any guarantee that I am right in every comment I make.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Mel333
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best way of understanding the passage in which the expression "narrow gate" is found is to do an exegesis of it by answering the following questions:
Who is Jesus talking to?
What is His intention for saying these things?
How would His First Century Jewish listeners understand what He is teaching them?
What kind of judgments is Jesus saying they should not make?
What is His definition of a hypocrite in that context?
What are the dogs, and why would they not encouraged to give them that which is holy?
Why did Jesus tell people to ask, seek and knock?
How can His listeners be assured that God would give them good gifts?
What is the Law and the Prophets in this context?
Where does the wide gate lead to?
Where does the narrow gate lead to?
What is a false prophet?
How would His listeners recognise them?
Why did Jesus say that not everyone who said Lord, Lord, will be rejected? (explain it in the context as understood by the First Century listeners, not how you would understand it today).
How would Jesus recognise workers of lawlessness (from the context)?
Why would the man who built his house upon the rock be wise?

That is how you would do an exegesis of the passage to understand it in the First Century context. Once you fully understand that, then you can work out how it can be applied to 21st Century believers.

The problem is with many is they try to apply it to modern people before truly understanding it in its original context (hermeneutics).

Actually, it is a good passage and fairly easy to transfer it to modern believers because most of what Jesus is saying in the passage is transcultural; in other words, it would apply just as much in our culture as it did in the First Century culture.

The extension of this is to find out what are the words of Jesus that makes a wise person to build his house upon the rock, and for that you have to work out what He taught was just for the Jews before the Day of Pentecost, exclusively for the Pharisees (representing hypocritical religious leaders and teachers), and what was for the common people - then which parts would apply to them and us. Then, after applying those filters, we then arrive at the particular words of Jesus which we can build our Christian lives on.

There are many questions one could ask, many more yet...but we know ultimately the first, foremost need is for us to hear well, so that we can do as He said, Matthew 7:24-25 -- so that we don't fall under verse 21 and 23, 26-27. We thus foremost need, first, and last, to listen. John 10:27 My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.

We realize that His words work on us John 15:3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you., not from ourselves, but from Him, if we listen and follow. He is the Vine, we only the branches.

It's not our thinking, analysis, doctrines, all that. None of those help. He is the Vine, and we only the branches, and we can only bear fruit only by remaining in Him, with His words in us. John 15 NIV

So, instead of analysis, additional knowledge, yet even more exegesis, instead we need all to learn again as we had as children that humble listening, Matthew 18:3 "Truly I tell you," He said, "unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven., so that we first and last can listen, hear and follow Him.

There are of course 1,000 interesting questions we could ask further, but it's not from ourselves, but from Him, that we bear fruit.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
If going on percentages, Christians make up only 33% of the world, so that’s pretty narrow.
As I see it most of the Christian community are composed of sects which hold to a salvation by works soteriology, like Catholicism which makes up half of the Christian community. When it comes down to percentages I would estimate about 10% of Christians actually believe the gospel, that's about 3% of the world's population. That's about right as Jesus said, "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." 33% certainly doesn't sound like "few".

Consider also the term "remnant" used in the following
Ro 9:27 Isaiah also cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, The remnant will be saved.
Ro 11:5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

A "remnant" is nowhere near as large as 33%. The teaching implies that popular Christianity doesn't reflect Biblical Christianity. If it's popular, it may just be the wide road that leads to destruction.

And here's the gospel Jesus condensed into a single verse "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24 You'll find only a small percentage of Christians who actually believe Jesus. It's very difficult to embrace the idea that salvation is a free gift. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" And coming to saving faith means abandoning the idea of working to be saved, but rather to trust in God to save you. "To the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." Which implies that if one believes the gospel, they have no fear of condemnation because they believe what Jesus said and they trust God to be faithful to his promise, which is consistent with Romans 8 "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". Such people are saved and eternally secure because they trust God to save them and God is faithful and Jesus is able to save completely those who come to God through him Heb 7:25

It's a narrow belief. Those who add to it, like by adding works as a condition for salvation, or subtracting trust, are not qualified. It's difficult to believe and so few find it.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The extension of this is to find out what are the words of Jesus that makes a wise person to build his house upon the rock

Amen.

31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Matthew 25 NIV

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bipolargirl

Catholicism (believes in Bible + Church Traditions) is the largest Christian denomination (with it being in the billion mark level of adherents).
Protestantism (believes in Sola Fide or Faith Alone) is the next largest Christian denomination (with it having about 920 million adherents).
So if you look in your yellow pages, or online, these would be the two main churches to pop up.
They are the most popular churches.
But if you look and read your Bible, you will notice that the things they believe and do is not actually in the Bible. You will be hard pressed to find the traditions of Catholics in the Bible, and you will be hard pressed to find Sola Fide in the Bible unless you ignore whole swaths of Scripture and take verses out of context that dealt with the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism" (Please hover your cursor over the following verses and read them to learn about the heresy of Circumcision Salvationism: Galatians 2:3, Galatians 5:2, Galatians 5:6, Galatians 6:15, 1 Corinthians 7:18-19, Romans 2:28-29, Romans 3:1, Romans 4:9-12, Acts of the Apostles 21:21. Also see: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24.). The false belief of Circumcision Salvationism was teaching during that time that one had to be circumcised first in order to be saved (Instead of trusting in Jesus Christ by faith). This is the context of the "Law" and or "Works" that Paul was speaking about. Paul was not against living holy or against the commandments of Jesus after one is saved by God's grace (See 1 Timothy 6:3-4; Also see: Hebrews 5:9, and Hebrews 12:14). When Jesus spoke of the narrow way, in context, you will not read about the defense of the traditions of the Catholic church. When Jesus spoke of the narrow way, in context, you will not read about Sola Fide (or Faith Alone).

Matthew 7:14 talks about the narrow gate.
In context, this was a part of the Sermon on the Mount, which focused heavily on the teaching of living holy and it talked about how committing certain sins can have dire consequences for our soul in the afterlife. It talked about hypocritical judgment, and it talked about trying to look holy in front of others. The Sermon on the Mount does not focus on traditions and it dd not on the focus on believing in Jesus alone while we minimize sin or obedience to God. In fact, in context of Matthew 7:14, we see in Matthew 7:23 that there were certain believers who did wonderful works in Christ's name, but Jesus said that He did not know them because they worked "iniquity." Other translations say "lawlessness." This means "sin." In context, Jesus said in Matthew 7:26-27 that the person who does not DO what He says is like a fool who built his house upon the sand, and when the storms came, great was the fall of that house. So Jesus's point was not about additional church traditions, and neither was his point about Sola Fide or Faith Alone without obeying Him. So it astounds me when folks say that Jesus was referring to the Narrow Gate as Him talking about Sola Fide or something else. It's just not there in the Bible. It doesn't exist. Read the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5, Matthew 6, and Matthew 7) for yourself and you will see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The narrow gate is almost certainly not about how many people get in, though the correct exegesis still has implications for that.

First, the long and more explicit version is in Luke, so we should start there. People ask Jesus how many will be saved. He doesn't answer. The implication of what he says is that they had better worry about their own salvation. In Luke the image is of a city with a main gate and a small gate that can be opened after the main one is closed if someone needs to get in. So the reference is to time: the main gate is already closed, even the small one is about to close. The discussion in starting in 13:25 makes that clear. So his message is that they had better come in while they still can.

The version in Matthew is probably not about timing. The commentaries I read think the implication of that passage is difficulty, not the number of people. Of course you can reasonably say that only a few people take the difficult road, but still, it's contrasting an easy road with a difficult one. Given Matthew's overall view, much of the difficulty is due to persecution and other kinds of suffering, not God making it difficult. After all, Jesus says his burden is light.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
.05% of them are following Grace. (Loving God, loving others and yourself).

Narrow would be difficult to find...

There's probably only a handful of people who are walking in grace which is what the verse is referencing.

ps totally made that stat up but it would be a small number of people who truly understand and accept God's love for them through Christ.
So are you saying the difference between non-practicing Christians vs practicing Christians? Or something else? But I thought we had assurance of salvation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying the difference between non-practicing Christians vs practicing Christians? Or something else? But I thought we had assurance of salvation?

We can expect that if our faith endures, then we will be saved, even if 'through fire' (1 Cor 3:15)...

We have this assurance:
27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
John 10 NIV

As you hear Him saying: Nothing can take us from His hand if we "listen" to Him, and "follow" Him...

What does it mean to listen and follow?

Consider that we are saved by Grace through faith (Ephesians chapter 2), and then consider whether a person's faith will endure (continue, later in life, over the years) --

Here's what Christ said:

24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”
Matthew 7 ESV

So, those that believe in Him (faith), and then "listen" and "follow" -- "hears these words of mine and does them" -- can be totally assured they will endure, their faith will endure.

How do we do as He said? This way --
John 15 NIV (verses 1-17, all)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The word salvation just means Yeshua in Hebrew which is Jesus's name.

So if you have understood and received what Christ has done for you on the cross then you are saved from sin. From the penalty of the old law.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to say without offending people but yes, a small number of Christians are walking in grace and are baptised properly.

I don't see non-practicing Christians as Christians. We are called to love them however and help them where they are at.

The word salvation just means Yeshua in Hebrew.

So if you have understood and received what Christ has done for you on the cross then you are saved from sin. From the penalty of the old law.

If you would like to discuss further privately pm me as you have some good questions.

It is a tough road the narrow path. It offends the world because it counters the world's culture.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

That sums up the narrow gate. You'll either follow Christ or not.
Uh Jesus is the narrow way, not your works. You can't connect following Jesus and discipleship to salvation. Sorry but this is wrong. This is prideful and boastful thinking, God hates pride. What makes you think you're on the narrow road and your works are better and more narrow than others? When we don't know Jesus, all our works are like filthy rags.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes we have assurance of salvation. You get born again by trusting in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Good works follow but that's not what saves you and that's not related to the narrow way. Jesus is the narrow way, not your works.

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

First, determining meaning. This is a part of one sermon, the sermon on the mount. It starts with a few things that are different with those that are really God's people and those that aren't. Blessed are they that ...

Then it goes on to cover some things that those that just believe they are righteous, but are not, are teaching and following ... If a man is angry with his brother, looking at a married woman to lust after her ... are all things that the religious around Jesus taught and lived in accordance with.

then a bit about not worrying about your daily needs (food and clothing) but focusing on "seeking FIRST, His kingdom and His righteousness", and then you will be focusing on what is important and leaving those details to Him.

Lastly, starting in chapter 7, we have another group. Those that believe Jesus is their Lord, their God, their Savior, but are headed for hell in spite of their belief that He is each of those things for them.

"Many will say to Me, Lord, Lord ... and I will say to them, depart from Me ye who work iniquity for I never knew you." That word many is EXACTLY the same root word as the "Many that are on the broad path that leads to destruction." that is quoted earlier, and yes, that is the same many who are lost and are headed for hell and who are clueless as to that fact.

The key, "THose that do the will of My Father who is in heaven." AND, "Those who hear My words and do them.". Those are the "Fruits" of the real Christians. They are the differences between the many who believe Jesus is their Lord and Savior, and those who really do have Jesus as their Lord and savior. THE DIFFERENCE IS NOT THE VEHIMANCE OF THE BELIEFS.

So the question then becomes, what are the big differences IN THIS PASSAGE between those that believe He is their Lord, but are mistaken, and those that really do have Him as their Lord. So what is commanded?

First we have a command to judge ourselves first. Look carefully at yourself, your own responses. Do you pass the tests to follow or do you have a log in your eye while trying to remove a splinter from your brother's? If so, fix yourself first so you can see to help your brother.

Next we have Jesus' command to judge all men based on their response to your sharing what is "holy" or your "pearls", the things that are of highest eternal value. You know things pertaining to salvation, God's will, the differences between true Christians and those that just believe they are.

We are commanded to stop sharing the things of God when we see (2) different responses. responding like dogs (With a desire to tear you to pieces) and responding like pigs(Trampling what you have to share under foot like pigs would do with pearls.) Neither of which is open to anything you have to say, and one group is going to get very angry that you could even question their relationship with God.

So the question is, when others share their pearls, what is holy, with you, what is your response? Is it like dogs or pigs? How dare you question my love of truth? How dare you question my Christianity? ... or, "I can see that you aren't open to accepting what I have to say so I am out of here. If you aren't going to accept the truth, i.e. my beliefs, there is no further reason for me to talk with you. If so, and you respond this way to others, then you are in violation of verses 1-5 and are attempting to remove sawdust with a giant log in your eye.

Next we have a contrast between the ungodly responses of verse 6 and godly responses. All of these are in the present tense, indicating ongoing perpetual, habitual action that has an eventual result. In other words, "Keep on continuously seeking as a habit and way of life, for the rest of your life, and never stop and you will eventually find." and so on.

The problem with the verse 6 people is that they have stopped looking, seeking, proving, knocking ... why? They believe they already have absolute truth with regards to their core beliefs. Thus, questioning any of their core beliefs is to call the very truth of God Himself into question. Their beliefs are "FACT". No need to look further. No reason to consider anything you have to say. No reason to look. You have nothing to offer me as I already have truth.

In a parallel passage discussing keeping on seeking, knocking ... it says that those that never stop will receive the Holy Spirit. So all of these are opposites of 7:6.

Next you have a verse about however you want others to treat you (When you are sharing your pearls and what is Holy.) is exactly how you should respond to others.

Next you have the discussion of the narrow gate that few find, and the wide gate which everyone uses. REMEMBER THE MANY ARE THOSE THAT BELIEVE JESUS IS THEIR LORD BUT AREN'T, AND NEVER WERE, REAL CHRISTIANS.

The word "narrow" literally means, "To groan". It is an opening so small that you lose skin trying to get through. That's the meaning. Now figure this, they are outside the main gates of the city. The main thoroughfare could have a dozen carts going side by side along with pedestrian traffic as well.

There were small openings in the wall that a man could shimmy through after the gates closed at night. If you absolutely had to, you could squeeze through that opening, but no one in their right mind would choose it voluntarily unless it meant spending the night outside the city with the robbers, leppers ... so while it was used, it was definitely not the main way into or out of the city.

So what percentage of those that believe Jesus is their Lord, God, Savior are on the wide path, and how many are on the "to groan" path? For every thousand people that used the main gates, maybe 1-2 used the "to groan" path. That's not the best odds, and like I said, the many described earlier, on the broad path that leads to destruction are explained later on, and they are all "doing" the same signs and wonders that the real Christians of the time are doing.

The next section is about recognizing false prophets. Prophets, in scripture, include all "forth tellers", including sharers of the gospel, people who preach, teach, and of course prophecy itself, just like the "many" who will say, Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in Your name." that is coming up in a few verses. Now what are the fruits that we are looking for IN THIS PASSAGE? What's commanded? What are the godly responses, and what responses cut you off from hearing the gospel? (See vs. 6)

So what's the key God/Jesus is making here? What "differences" between those that believe they are right with God, but aren't, and those that really are right with God? It is the attitude they have towards their own core beliefs. Are they infallible/unquestionably true, or are you willing to consider seriously what others have to share? Have you found all key truth and thus you are closing your eyes and ears to anything and everything else because your beliefs are fact, or are you willing to consider that you may have missed something and thus need to keep on habitually seeking, proving, examining the scriptures diligently daily to see if what is said is so ...

But here's the tie in, and why all of these people are "doing" the exact same things in Jesus name at this time period, but aren't even Christian AND DON'T KNOW IT.

Take a look at 2Thes. 2:10-15 "and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness. 13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth. 14 It was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

So here's the point. Everyone, regardless of their beliefs, Atheist, Agnostic, Mormon, Moslem, Jes, Roman Catholic ... knows their beliefs are true and that all opposing beliefs are false. Everyone has gathered proof that their beliefs are true, proof that all opposing beliefs are false. They all interpret all of their "selected" data in the light of their beliefs, and they all explain away, discredit, ... everything that might "seem" to contradict their views.

But EVERYONE has those things, regardless of the beliefs they choose to hold to and the ones they choose to reject. Everyone KNOWS their beliefs "are" "truth" and that to consider anything "else" is to consider exchanging truth for a lie, which no belief group will do. But here's the thing. If you do not love truth more than any belief, enough to keep on seeking, keep on proving, keep on knocking, keep on being a workman who "cuts-straight" the word of God, with a willingness to alter any, or all of your beliefs to fit what really is good/true ... then you get whatever it is that you need to believe what you "want to believe" "as" "truth".

As it says, "11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness." And what does Jesus say to the lost in Mathew 7? The many? "Depart from Me ye who work iniquity, for I never knew you."

Belief groups do not exist to get anyone "to" the truth. Belief groups exist to teach, train, promote, evangelize ... the "belief group's beliefs" "as" "truth". Remember, what each belief group has is proof their beliefs are true, proof all opposing beliefs are false, was to interpret all their "selected" data in the light of their beliefs, and to explain away, discredit, ... anything that anyone might think goes contrary to their beliefs.

So, is the way to salvation "much more "to groan"" than most people think? Absolutely. 2 for every thousand or so that are on the broad thoroughfare is probably a lot closer to reality. Most people love their beliefs "about" God much more than they love truth. As a matter of fact, most that believe themselves to be Christians, love what they want to believe and want nothing at all to do with getting to the truth for and by themselves. Yet, there are (2) parts of the faith that is REQUIRED to ever be pleasing to God, and, if you don't have BOTH parts, it is impossible for ANYONE to EVER be pleasing to God, no matter what else they believe, no matter what else they do.

The first part is easy. Believe that God exists. The second part is believing that God is a rewarder of those that diligently, persistently, as a habit and way If you believe you will do. If you don't you won't. And here's the thing. Seeking God, seeking truth, even if it destroys all your beliefs about Him, is not the same as seeking to keep on proving your beliefs about God true, and holding fast to your beliefs at all costs. That is the exact opposite of seeking God. That is seeking to justify what you want to believe about God, and that covers the vast majority of those that believe they are Christians in this world.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We are commanded to stop sharing the things of God when we see (2) different responses. responding like dogs (With a desire to tear you to pieces) and responding like pigs(Trampling what you have to share under foot like pigs would do with pearls.) Neither of which is open to anything you have to say, and one group is going to get very angry that you could even question their relationship with God.

So the question is, when others share their pearls, what is holy, with you, what is your response? Is it like dogs or pigs? How dare you question my love of truth? How dare you question my Christianity? ... or, "I can see that you aren't open to accepting what I have to say so I am out of here. If you aren't going to accept the truth, i.e. my beliefs, there is no further reason for me to talk with you. If so, and you respond this way to others, then you are in violation of verses 1-5 and are attempting to remove sawdust with a giant log in your eye.
So how are we to respond to others when they share their pearls? What would constitute as pearls?

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So how are we to respond to others when they share their pearls? What would constitute as pearls?

What is holy to us? The foundations of the faith that lies within us. What is of highest value to us? God? Truth? The foundations of what our lives are built upon. The pearls are those things we value beyond all else. We are to respond to others when they share those things that are of highest value to them, what is holy to them ... as we would have them respond to us.

But ... if their responses to us are those of pigs/dogs, we are commanded to stop sharing ... unless the responses change. I have had those of other "faiths" laugh at me for my answers on God/the bible ... but he kept asking questions so I kept giving answers. Although he kept bringing different ladies home every night, getting drunk, as he said, I live the "ultimate hedonistic lifestyle." But he kept asking and I kept sharing. More laughter... more questions... And we did this 5 days a week 2-3 hours a day.... for 2 full years. But the questions kept coming so I kept sharing the scriptures.

After the 2 years I changed jobs and was no longer in contact with the man for almost 2 full years. Then I get a call from a girl who used to be n the youth group I was leading inviting me to her wedding. When I asked about the person she was marrying she gave me the name of the guy I spent 2 full years with.

Talk about shocked ... I had to confirm it. You are marrying so and so, the guy who owns this particular business, "THAT so and so"? This girl was one of the most devoted, knowledgeable, God seeking people in our group. She said, "Yes, that's the man. do you know him?" I had no words. THen she explained where she met him. He was evangelizing on a college campus. While being full time in seminary and working as a youth pastor at a local church.

I laughed. I said, no, that most definitely is NOT the guy I knew. Turns out, about a month after we parted company he became a Christian so on fire for God that he read the bible through 3 times in 6 months, and asked so many questions that he had 6 pastors on speed dial to answer anything day or night.

So, as long as they are looking, seeking, knocking, ... we are to answer. And the key is that we are to keep on habitually seeking, proving all things over and over again, holding fast to what is good/true, responding to them the same way, seeking, knocking, asking. If they get angry because you question their faith, or leave because you aren't converting to their beliefs and they really couldn't care less about yours, then stop sharing. Otherwise keep going. Even the most diehard hedon in the world is not beyond God's reach.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The gate is narrow because there is only one way to be saved and that is by faith in Christ alone. There are many professing Christians who are mixing faith with works in order to be saved, but they will be lost.

Luke 13:24 "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able."

Strive
ἀγωνίζομαι agōnízomai, ag-o-nid'-zom-ahee; from G73; to struggle, literally (to compete for a prize), figuratively (to contend with an adversary), or genitive case (to endeavor to accomplish something):—fight, labor fervently, strive. Strong's

No striving, then no entering the strait narrow gate. Luke 13:24-27 those who are not striving to enter the strait gate are seen as 'workers of iniquity'

Bipolargirl said:

Matthew 7:13 Jesus commands you to enter in by the strait gate and in Luke 13:24 He tells you HOW to enter in by commanding you to strive to enter in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0