Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sometimes it makes me anxious when thinking about it...
How narrow is the narrow gate?
If going on percentages, Christians make up only 33% of the world, so that’s pretty narrow.
Or is it even more narrow?

.05% of them are following Grace. (Loving God, loving others and yourself).

Narrow would be difficult to find...

There's probably only a handful of people who truly understand and accept God's love for them through Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If going on percentages, Christians make up only 33% of the world, so that’s pretty narrow.
The gate is narrow because there is only one way to be saved and that is by faith in Christ alone. There are many professing Christians who are mixing faith with works in order to be saved, but they will be lost.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd trust Christ on that, to learn what He means. So, instead viewpoints/doctrines/judgements from people, we should listen to Christ, our Teacher, and hear what He is saying, in that sermon. (The Sermon on the Mount is Matthew chapters 5 through 7) This you ask about is in chapter 7, and you'll get your true answer there :

Matthew 7 ESV

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Church attending Christians worldwide.

Well that would be a very low percentage indeed, probably far less than 5%.

That narrow path is Christ Himself.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's as narrow as the cross is wide.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'd trust Christ on that, to learn what He means. So, instead viewpoints/doctrines/judgements from people, we should listen to Christ, our Teacher, and hear what He is saying, in that sermon. (The Sermon on the Mount is Matthew chapters 5 through 7) This you ask about is in chapter 7, and you'll get your true answer there :

Matthew 7 ESV
The best way of understanding the passage in which the expression "narrow gate" is found is to do an exegesis of it by answering the following questions:
Who is Jesus talking to?
What is His intention for saying these things?
How would His First Century Jewish listeners understand what He is teaching them?
What kind of judgments is Jesus saying they should not make?
What is His definition of a hypocrite in that context?
What are the dogs, and why would they not encouraged to give them that which is holy?
Why did Jesus tell people to ask, seek and knock?
How can His listeners be assured that God would give them good gifts?
What is the Law and the Prophets in this context?
Where does the wide gate lead to?
Where does the narrow gate lead to?
What is a false prophet?
How would His listeners recognise them?
Why did Jesus say that not everyone who said Lord, Lord, will be rejected? (explain it in the context as understood by the First Century listeners, not how you would understand it today).
How would Jesus recognise workers of lawlessness (from the context)?
Why would the man who built his house upon the rock be wise?

That is how you would do an exegesis of the passage to understand it in the First Century context. Once you fully understand that, then you can work out how it can be applied to 21st Century believers.

The problem is with many is they try to apply it to modern people before truly understanding it in its original context (hermeneutics).

Actually, it is a good passage and fairly easy to transfer it to modern believers because most of what Jesus is saying in the passage is transcultural; in other words, it would apply just as much in our culture as it did in the First Century culture.

The extension of this is to find out what are the words of Jesus that makes a wise person to build his house upon the rock, and for that you have to work out what He taught was just for the Jews before the Day of Pentecost, exclusively for the Pharisees (representing hypocritical religious leaders and teachers), and what was for the common people - then which parts would apply to them and us. Then, after applying those filters, we then arrive at the particular words of Jesus which we can build our Christian lives on.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best way of understanding the passage in which the expression "narrow gate" is found is to do an exegesis of it by answering the following questions:
Who is Jesus talking to?
How would His First Century Jewish listeners understand what He is teaching them?
What are the dogs, and why would they not encouraged to give them that which is holy?
What is a false prophet?
Why did Jesus say that not everyone who said Lord, Lord, will be rejected? (explain it in the context as understood by the First Century listeners, not how you would understand it today).

That is how you would do an exegesis of the passage to understand it in the First Century context. Once you fully understand that, then you can work out how it can be applied to 21st Century believers.

The problem is with many is they try to apply it to modern people before truly understanding it in its original context (hermeneutics).

Actually, it is a good passage and fairly easy to transfer it to modern believers because most of what Jesus is saying in the passage is transcultural; in other words, it would apply just as much in our culture as it did in the First Century culture.

The extension of this is to find out what are the words of Jesus that makes a wise person to build his house upon the rock, and for that you have to work out what He taught was just for the Jews before the Day of Pentecost, exclusively for the Pharisees (representing hypocritical religious leaders and teachers), and what was for the common people - then which parts would apply to them and us. Then, after applying those filters, we then arrive at the particular words of Jesus which we can build our Christian lives on.

You should answer all those questions for us :D Then we'd all know.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's as narrow as the cross is wide.
A good point!
The preaching of the cross was an offence to the Jews because their view of the Messiah was as a powerful figure, coming riding on a white horse with a flaming sword in His hand, kicking out the hated Romans and bringing sovereignty back to the nation. They did not expect their Messiah to come as a little baby, and to preach that we should love one another, and then die on a Roman cross. For them, crucifixion was for the lowest and most vile criminal and it carried a serious curse. That's why the Jews brutally persecuted Christian believers.

The preaching of the cross was foolishness to the cultured, intellectual Greeks. Their Gods were powerful and anyone opposing them would be zapped with lightning bolts. Therefore they could not accept that the Christian God could allow Himself to be killed as a common criminal by the Jews and Romans and not zap the lot of them. Also, Paul failed in Athens because the Greek philosophers just could not get their heads around a person rising from the dead. But when he got to Corinth, which was the most immoral city in the pagan world - they were the absolute pagan of the pagans! he preached Christ crucified, and planted one of the most successful churches in the pagan world. He learned that if he had done the same in Athens, he would have planted a very successful church there, and so he was not going to make the same mistake in Corinth, or anywhere else for that matter.

I think that this goes some way to explaining why the gate to eternal life in Christ is so narrow. This is also why we should carefully examine the large mega-churches to see if they are really preaching the gospel of Christ, or whether they are preaching popular religion to tickle the ears of people, instead of preaching the cross of Christ to bring conviction of sin, righteousness and judgment to come. I'll bet that if you watch Youtube videos of the preaching of leaders of these mega churches, you won't hear about Christ crucified, the importance of repentance, of living a holy life. You will hear that Jesus will be your friend, that He will heal you, and make you wealthy. They attract the crowds who love that sort of thing; but if you told them that they needed to repent of their sins and live a holy life, they would tell you that you are being too narrow-minded and strict and are quenching the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You should answer all those questions for us :D Then we'd all know.
:)
I don't know...I don't want to rob anyone of the blessing of discovering it all for themselves! You have the Holy Spirit living in you and He has promised to teach you all things, so when you ask Him, He will give you the insight into what the passage actually means.

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:)
I don't know...I don't want to rob anyone of the blessing of discovering it all for themselves! You have the Holy Spirit living in you and He has promised to teach you all things, so when you ask Him, He will give you the insight into what the passage actually means.

haha I reckon you'd be able to tell us who Jesus is speaking to and some of the context...

These are good questions... ones now i'm thinking about

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
haha I reckon you'd be able to tell us who Jesus is speaking to and some of the context...

These are good questions... ones now i'm thinking about
I can tell you, but wouldn't make it too easy? Am I being a typical Kiwi having a dig at the Aussie? Actually, after my brain washing by filling my gumboots with water, I could share my answers with you if you would like.

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A good point!
The preaching of the cross was an offence to the Jews because their view of the Messiah was as a powerful figure, coming riding on a white horse with a flaming sword in His hand, kicking out the hated Romans and bringing sovereignty back to the nation. They did not expect their Messiah to come as a little baby, and to preach that we should love one another, and then die on a Roman cross. For them, crucifixion was for the lowest and most vile criminal and it carried a serious curse. That's why the Jews brutally persecuted Christian believers.

The preaching of the cross was foolishness to the cultured, intellectual Greeks. Their Gods were powerful and anyone opposing them would be zapped with lightning bolts. Therefore they could not accept that the Christian God could allow Himself to be killed as a common criminal by the Jews and Romans and not zap the lot of them. Also, Paul failed in Athens because the Greek philosophers just could not get their heads around a person rising from the dead. But when he got to Corinth, which was the most immoral city in the pagan world - they were the absolute pagan of the pagans! he preached Christ crucified, and planted one of the most successful churches in the pagan world. He learned that if he had done the same in Athens, he would have planted a very successful church there, and so he was not going to make the same mistake in Corinth, or anywhere else for that matter.

I think that this goes some way to explaining why the gate to eternal life in Christ is so narrow. This is also why we should carefully examine the large mega-churches to see if they are really preaching the gospel of Christ, or whether they are preaching popular religion to tickle the ears of people, instead of preaching the cross of Christ to bring conviction of sin, righteousness and judgment to come. I'll bet that if you watch Youtube videos of the preaching of leaders of these mega churches, you won't hear about Christ crucified, the importance of repentance, of living a holy life. You will hear that Jesus will be your friend, that He will heal you, and make you wealthy. They attract the crowds who love that sort of thing; but if you told them that they needed to repent of their sins and live a holy life, they would tell you that you are being too narrow-minded and strict and are quenching the Holy Spirit.

Wow. I'm keeping this.

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can tell you, but wouldn't make it too easy? Am I being a typical Kiwi having a dig at the Aussie? Actually, after my brain washing by filling my gumboots with water, I could share my answers with you if you would like.

Would love you to share your answers with all of us. :)

I just personally struggle with knowing the context parts. Maybe it is an Aussie thing... I love Kiwi's.

You have the gift to interpret. I'd share that around and not hold back with answers regarding the context of a verse someone is questioning/struggling with like this gate one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Here are my suggested answers as requested by my Aussie cobber:
Who is Jesus talking to?
The general crowds, including His disciples, common people, and religious leaders.
To show them God's standards for holy living.
They would understand that following just the external rules of the Law, but the obedience needs to go deeper, into their hearts.
Personal judgments of people. This doesn't include appropriate judgment of doctrines, Bible teachings, church practices, claims of signs, wonders, and healing. For example, the golden shower in a Bethel church. Two women members confessed that their job was to put ground up glitter into the ventilation system to make it appear that God was scattering gold dust from heaven on to the congregation. I can judge that act as deliberate deception of unwary people and it would make me doubt the showering of feathers as well. Therefore I can further judge that the leaders who set that up are wolves and false teachers and deceivers. But I can't judge the personal life of any of those people or leaders, because we are all just poor sinners and nothing at all. But when it comes to discerning falsehood in teaching and claims, then we should make judgments based on God's Word. (whoops! I was using hermeneutics here!)
The person who tries to take a speck out of his brother's eye when he has a great log in his own. It is like two filthy, lice infested beggars sitting in a ditch and one saying to another, "You stink!"
The dogs in the First Century were not the lovable pets we have today. These were wild dogs who would bit the hand of anyone who tried to feed them. If they were fed, they would just wolf it all down and bite you anyway. They are the same as the swine which would trample down any pearls you would give them. So those things that are sacred and holy to them should not be given to those who would not appreciate them but would just throw them back into their faces.
Because that is how to get God's door opened to them to receive the promises.
Because if evil and godless people know how to give good gifts to their children and God is so much better than that.
Do to others as you would have them do unto you.
To destruction - in other words, an eternity in hell.
Eternal life in Christ.
What is a false prophet?
He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone who appears to be good and holy, but has evil intentions.
By their fruits - the outcomes in the lives of those who follow their prophecies.
Because they did not do what He told them to do. they may have done some wonderful and great things, but Jesus did not tell them to do them.
Those who fail to do the will of God.
Because he heard the words of Jesus and did them.

So this is my fairly simple exegesis of the passage in its original context. I have tried to resist the temptation to do hermeneutics and comment on how we should apply them today (although I did fail a couple of times. Couldn't help it!)

Now, my good brother from across the ditch, what are your comments?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Would love you to share your answers with all of us. :)

I just personally struggle with knowing the context parts. Maybe it is an Aussie thing... I love Kiwi's.

You have the gift to interpret. I'd share that around and not hold back with answers regarding the context of a verse someone is questioning/struggling with like this gate one.
I don't think it is a gift. I spent three years in my 60s to gain a Mastorate in Divinity, and part of it was learning how to do exegesis and hermeneutics. Learning these things is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration!
I learned how it is important to do the exegesis to find out how the reference is in the original context in which it was written. For example, taking passages out of Paul's letters, we need to know how First Century believers understood the passages.

The hermeneutics is to then apply the reference to believers today, seeing how we can talk about the comparisons and contrasts between, say First Century culture, religious environment, historical stages, dispensational matters, and how the reference actually applies to us as new Covenant converted believers.

A lot of it is common sense. I don't go along with any sort of "deeper insight" that some claim to have. I just use the brain that God gave me. The trouble with seeking a "deeper spiritual insight" is that the devil is always waiting in the wings to give us one!

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is a gift. I spent three years in my 60s to gain a Mastorate in Divinity, and part of it was learning how to do exegesis and hermeneutics. Learning these things is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration!
I learned how it is important to do the exegesis to find out how the reference is in the original context in which it was written. For example, taking passages out of Paul's letters, we need to know how First Century believers understood the passages.

The hermeneutics is to then apply the reference to believers today, seeing how we can talk about the comparisons and contrasts between, say First Century culture, religious environment, historical stages, dispensational matters, and how the reference actually applies to us as new Covenant converted believers.

A lot of it is common sense. I don't go along with any sort of "deeper insight" that some claim to have. I just use the brain that God gave me. The trouble with seeking a "deeper spiritual insight" is that the devil is always waiting in the wings to give us one!

It's definitely a gift. :) You have a passion for it too.

Thanks so much for your answers! Funny about the royalties one. You should write some books/ebooks studies.

Upvote 0