• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

how much time is there...

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by visionary, Feb 20, 2012.

1. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,994
    Messianic
    between a feast Sabbath and the weekly Sabbath when they are back to back?

Could the feast Sabbath end at sunset and the weekly Sabbath start at the three stars sightings?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. muzza21

muzza21 Newbie

+11
    Messianic
    Married
    When in doubt, keep Sabbating.

3. visionary

+6,994
    Messianic
    Is there some Rabbinic ruling on this?

4. muzza21

muzza21 Newbie

+11
    Messianic
    Married
    No, just the rule of, too scared to get it wrong.

5. Phillip Hawley

Phillip Hawley Y'shua HaMoshiach based Messianic Jew

+346
    Messianic
    Married
    No Sis, but there seems to be a Higher ruling on this:
    The original concept didn't include stars, just light and dark.

6. visionary

+6,994
    Messianic
    Dusk is neither light or darkness.. so it isn't quite Day anymore nor is it Night yet...

7. Phillip Hawley

Phillip Hawley Y'shua HaMoshiach based Messianic Jew

+346
    Messianic
    Married
    Well I can't speak for anyone but me. But I know when its dark.

8. visionary

+6,994
    Messianic
    Ok.. here is what I am working on... You can not purchase spices after the Sabbath and yet prepare those same spices before the Sabbath. So how is it possible??

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him.

Luke 23:56 56 Then they returned and prepared spices and ointments. On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  9. ProScribe

ProScribe Well-Known Member

+192
    Non-Denom
    Single
    IMO, plenty of time year to year.

10. Lulav

Lulav Older than ZIP Codes Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador CF Staff Trainer Supporter Staff on LOA

+6,716
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Resting, on the Sabbath, the weekly Sabbath.

Preparation day for the week of Passover, cleaning out the leaven, giving to the Poor, making unleavened bread, etc.

They went with Joseph to see where he was laid, to see the actual tomb so they knew where to return to.

They kept the first day of unleavened by doing no work, and the next day they prepared the spices. Then came the weekly Sabbath, which they rested on, and after it ended, at sundown, they went to the tomb (Saturday night).

11. visionary

+6,994
    Messianic
    Does anyone know how long it takes to prepare spices?

12. ProScribe

ProScribe Well-Known Member

+192
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Several hours depending on the village mother or grandmother doing the cooking & preparing of the traditional family meal.

13. Lulav

Lulav Older than ZIP Codes Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador CF Staff Trainer Supporter Staff on LOA

+6,716
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    According to this site:

14. Henaynei

Henaynei Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...

+1,657
    United States
    Widowed
    US-Constitution
    This comes from translations made in the absence of an understanding of Judaism and festivals.

The first Shabbat mentioned - Mark 16:1, the one after which they went and bought spices, was Pesakh and the first day of Unleavened Bread. As you know Pesakh and the first day of Unleavened Bread is a Shabbat. That year this festival fell on what we call Wednesday evening thru Thursday evening.

The Shabbat in Luke 23:56 is the 7th day Shabbat.

Thus they bought the spices after the first day of Unleavened bread, prepared the spices Thursday and/or Friday, made Shabbat preparations Friday, rested Shabbat and early Sunday morning took them to the grave.

Oops!
    Yeah, what Lulav said ;)

15. visionary

+6,994
    Messianic
    Yet unknown to these women.. the men were able to ...

and that was all with the 3:00 death and 6:00 sunset which also included getting court's permission, verifying His death by the guards, taking Him down from the cross, and over to the tomb where he was laid, etc.

16. Henaynei

Henaynei Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...

+1,657
    United States
    Widowed
    US-Constitution
    Not exactly unknown - the women knew where the body was and that the stone was too heavy for them.

It is my understanding that those initial spices were to cover the stench of decay, but not the entire burial process.

As the sisters said to Yeshua of their brother 3 days in the tomb, "My L-rd, by now he stinketh!"